Institute for Defense Analyses: Sr. Data Scientist
Seeking a data scientist with expertise in machine learning and predictive analytics to join the Research Staff of the Cost Analysis and Research Division (CARD). The Senior Data Scientist will apply modern data analytics techniques in support of CARD projects and analyses.
Company: Institute for Defense Analyses
Location: Alexandria, VA
Position: Sr. Data Scientist
The Institute for Defense Analyses (IDA) seeks a data scientist with expertise in machine learning and predictive analytics to join the Research Staff of the Cost Analysis and Research Division (CARD). The Senior Data Scientist will apply modern data analytics techniques in support of CARD projects and analyses. Analytical tasks will include data characterization, clustering, statistical inference, stochastic modeling, data mining, forecasting, text analysis, and feature extraction in diverse data sets. The Senior Data Scientist will also be expected to interact with study sponsors, summarize findings for nontechnical audiences, and write reports and present briefings in a clear and concise manner suitable for senior DoD policy makers.
- A Ph.D. in Operations Research, Statistics, Computer Science, Research Psychology, Economics, Applied Mathematics, or a Master’s Degree in a data analytics field listed combined with 10+ years of relevant experience.
- Proven expertise with machine learning and predictive analytics is required.
- Preferred areas of interest include classical and Bayesian statistics, Bayesian inference networks, deep learning, stochastic processes, econometrics, text analytics, and knowledge representation.
- Desired skills include programming in multiple languages (e.g., R, Python), working with large data sets, data collection, data normalization, and data visualization.
- Candidates should have the ability to work both independently and collaboratively, and exhibit strong communications skills.
- U.S. citizenship is required and applicants must meet the eligibility requirements for access to classified information.