Samsung: Senior Data Scientist – Strategic Analytics
Seeking a Senior Data Scientist for managing the successful design, execution, and measurement of major data initiatives across all customer-facing channels, and providing a critical link between the most technical areas of the organization and our business partners.
Location: Dallas, TX
Position: Senior Data Scientist - Strategic Analytics
Business Unit Description
In today’s fast evolving technology world, one aspect remains common – reliance on data to drive the next wave of innovation. Strategic Analytics is Samsung’s Center-of-Excellence for driving the adoption of data driven decision making and product development across the company. The team’s core focus is developing best-in-class solutions that provide Samsung’s marketing and service organizations with a 360 degree view of the Samsung customers.
Strategic Analytics is powering a paradigm shift at Samsung and the global industry. We are looking for highly technical team members who are passionate about data, have the rigor needed to solve billion dollar problems, and possess an innate entrepreneurial spirit to explore the uncharted. Strategic Analytics combines the engineering backbone of a best-in-class Big Data Platform with the analytic expertise of advanced mining and predictive modeling.
If you want to work among the very best talent in the industry, working on the most innovative products in the world, Samsung is the place to be.
Data Scientists are responsible for managing the successful design, execution, and measurement of major data initiatives across all customer-facing channels. They provide a critical link between the most technical areas of the organization and our business partners who activate against Strategic Analytics’ deliverables. Balancing excellent business communication skills with a deep analytical understanding is needed to 1) successfully build never-been-done-before analytic solutions in a Big Data environment and 2) interface daily with business partners, engineering, and product management teams.
Common Essential Duties & Resp.
- Discover and apply insights from massive data sets of structured, semi-structured, and unstructured data
- Collaborate with Line of Business teams and executive sponsors to develop novel, practical, and operationalized analytics that drive explicit business value at the customer level
- Combine strengths in data management, analysis, applied statistics, and visualization capabilities
- Develop data analysis solutions based on descriptive analyses and predictive models
- Collaborate with marketing, service, development, and engineering teams to ensure that requirements for integration, security, data quality and cross functional usage are addressed
- Extensive experience solving analytic problems using quantitative approaches and a proven passion for generating actionable insights and predictions from data. Have marketing or service industry experience manipulating and analyzing complex, high-volume, high-dimensionality data from varying sources. Strong knowledge of statistical methods and particularly in the areas of predictive modeling/scoring.
- 7+ years’ experience in sales or marketing functions for consumer products, retail, tech, telecom, or financial industries
- 5+ years’ experience developing analytic results that directly inform and/or enable quantifiable business action, either by providing insights or building analytic applications
- 5+ years Statistical programming expertise: R required; Python & Spark preferred
- 3+ years Data mining expertise: SQL required; Hive & Impala preferred
- Machine learning expertise: GLM Regression (linear, logit, multinomial), kMeans/Hierarchical Clustering, Principle Component Analysis, & Decision Tree required; Neural Network, Panel Regression, Bayesian Regression, Times Series, & A Priori preferred
- Data scale expertise: Regular use of data with high-volume (1TB+) & high-dimensionality (500+ variables per schema) required; clear understanding of Hadoop framework with hands-on experience both querying and applying statistics on massive data sets
- Education background: MS or PhD in Mathematics, Computer Science, Engineering, or Economics required; incremental MBA preferred
- Ability to communicate complex quantitative analysis in a clear, precise, and actionable manner.
- Ability to formulate and plan analytic solutions, logically develop project milestones, and autonomously manage work to deliver against milestone commitments
Necessary Skills /Attributes
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with all assigned levels within and outside the company.
- The ability to convince others, in a potentially adversarial and highly technical environment, including customer leadership, VPs, directors & managers, staff, and vendors with opposing views to accept/approve plans, technical, and project recommendations.
- Plan, organize, and prioritize multiple complex assignments and projects.
- Read and interpret detailed and complex engineering product development and marketing documents, media materials, and contracts (or related documents) based on corporate legal and marketing standards and philosophy.
- Work independently and in a team environment in order to achieve personal and team goals and complete assignments within established time frames.
- Ability to lead and direct the activities of staff members in order to achieve customer business objectives and team goals and to complete assigned projects within established time frames and specifications.
- The ability to develop tasks and work assignments, clearly define objectives, and give direction with applied knowledge of alternatives and decision-making experience to guide subordinates.
- Ability to negotiate on behalf of function to come to agreement by managing communications through discussions and compromise; issues are short-term operational and medium-term tactical or limited strategic nature.