Celgene: Director, Big Data Ops Lead
Seeking a Big Data DevOps Lead. The role will establish and manage the operational services necessary to ensure proper management of the platform health and to support ongoing use of the platform for business insights generation.
Location: Summit, NJ
Position: Director, Big Data Ops Lead
Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries - and growing - we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
Celgene has established a strategic Big Data Platform and capability that provides actionable insights and inform decisions throughout the product life cycle and help improve patient lives. The platform was successfully launched in early 2017 through a joint business-IT program and is undergoing major expansion to support multiple business areas across the company.
The Big Data DevOps Lead is responsible for managing the Big Data platform and for delivering the associated operational services in accordance to the approved SLAs and operational budget. The role has accountability for maintaining the platform health (e.g. infrastructure capacity management, software upgrades, incident and problem management). In addition, the role will manage a joint DevOps team that will also perform ongoing enhancements and releases to evolve the platform based on business needs and priority.
The role will work closely with the Big Data Solution Partner and with the Big Data Architect to align platform release schedules to solution roadmaps.
The role will establish and manage the operational services necessary to ensure proper management of the platform health and to support ongoing use of the platform for business insights generation (e.g. the on-boarding of new data sources and data consumers)
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Lead Service Design and Implementation in close collaboration with various IT stakeholders, Business stakeholders and external vendors. Lead the transition from current vendor to the target delivery model.
- Overall accountability for the day to day operations of the Big Data Analytics Platform and managing and delivering on SLAs related to unique Big Data services including information ingestion/transformations, data services, applications and platform services. Establish necessary KPIs, measures and dashboard to proactively manage the health, performance and utilization of the platform.
- Overall accountability to maintain a backlog of platform enhancements, dataset ingestions and analytical application enhancements and deliver on prioritized enhancements using an agile approach.
- Establish and lead necessary governance process to manage ongoing changes and releases (including patches, upgrades, etc.) to a multi-tenant environment.
- Manage dependencies and demand with other foundational IT services such as infrastructure, hosting, security, that are required to deliver on business facing Big Data Services.
- Actively manage external vendors involved in the delivery of the data management and Bid data platforms and services and hold them accountable for SLAs and performance outcomes. Provide leadership to identify and mitigate critical risks without impacting business outcomes.
- Work closely with the Big Data Solution Partner and the Big Data Solution Architect to identify what operational services are required to enable exploitation of the platform
- Works collaboratively with Data Stewards and the Solution Partner as well as the implementation partner to develop the information sourcing roadmap and establish the data quality management plans
- Establish and communicate operating procedures in alignment to Celgene’s IT Operating Model
- Develop operating/resource plans, negotiate budgets and lead performance measurement
- Seek continuous improvement opportunities.
- Create a positive team climate of continuous improvement and recruit, lead, develop and motivate staff to achieve objectives and deliver competitive advantage through clear linkages between investment in people and business performance
- Provide oversight for the delivery of analytics services to the business and ensure seamless transition of the exploratory/prototyping activities to robust applications
- Span of Control – Global, cross functional, Big Data Analytics operations capabilities
- Direct Reports – Manage internal and 3rd party service managers and support staff. Lead management of Managed Services Vendors leveraged to support Big Data Capability.
- Indirect Reports – will direct the work of implementation partners and a matrix group within IT of approximately 10- 30
- Budgetary Responsibility – Management of the operations budget ($5mm-$10mm)
- Interacts w/ - Senior IT Leaders, Analytics Lead from business areas, Data Scientists, Enterprise Architects, IT Engineering and Support staff
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, system analysis or a related study, or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 3-5 years operating in an Amazon Web Services hosted Big Data environment
- Hands on experience with managing Big Data solutions deployed in the Cloud, on AWS, preferably using Cloudera CDH.
- Minimum of 5-7 years working in a data management and/or business intelligence service delivery (or equivalent) roles, preferably in global biotech/pharmaceutical organization(s), focusing on the following disciplines:
- Data Stewardship
- Data Profiling and Data Quality (preferably in Big Data environment)
- Data integration – preferably Big Data/Hadoop based ingestion patterns and technologies
- Business Intelligence / Analytics – preferably using Hadoop based solution including clear perspective on leading design patterns and techniques to achieve desired performance.
- Ability to lead a cross-functional team of Cloudera and AWS engineers to operationalize new workload patterns and troubleshoot issues.
- Data Warehousing
- IT Service Management
- Minimum of 5-10 year of combined hands-on experience with the following techniques and tools:
- Business Intelligence / Analytics (e.g. Tableau, Spotfire, QlikView, SAS, R, Python)
- Big Data (Hadoop ecosystems/distributions e.g. Cloudera (Preferred)/HortonWorks/EMR, NoSQL and Graph databases)
- Data quality Management
- Metadata Management (e.g. ASG Rochade, Hive Metastore, Navigator, etc)
- Data integration (e.g.Sqoop, Flume, Talend, etc.)
- Data Warehousing (e.g. Netezza)
- Knowledge of IT Service Management framework e.g. ITIL
- Excellent interpersonal skills in areas such as teamwork, influence, facilitation and negotiation
- Excellent business acumen and leadership skills
- Strong technical skills
- Problem solver with having demonstrated the ability to “think out of the box”.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Explain complex technical issues in simple, business-friendly language
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Knowledge of key aspects of the business
- Basic knowledge of financial/estimating models and budgeting
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others and be respected as a leader
- Capability for being thoughtful, extroverted and collaborative
- Motivation that is focused on long-term results
Celgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.
Top Stories Past 30 Days