Accenture: Big Data Engineer
Seeking a Big Data Engineer for designing and implementing modern, scalable data pipelines for our clients, providing advisory services and thought leadership on the selection and deployment of commercial and open source tools, and more.
Location: London, UK / Other UK Locations
Position: Big Data Engineer
The digital revolution is changing everything. It’s everywhere – transforming how we work and play. Are you reacting to the disruption each day or are you leading the way as a digital disrupter? Accenture Digital is driving these exciting changes and bringing them to life across 40 industries in more than 120 countries. At the forefront of digital, you’ll create it, own it and make it a reality for our clients. Join us and become an integral part of our experienced digital team with the credibility, expertise and insight our clients depend on.
Accenture Digital is powered by three practices – Analytics, Interactive, and Mobility. As part of our Analytics practice, you’ll help businesses deliver insight-driven outcomes in entirely new ways.
Accenture Analytics supports clients to turn information into action by driving technology-enabled business insights, creating a "decision making environment" embracing social media, cloud, mobility, big data and legacy environments. We deliver and run the information strategy, architecture and governance that enable a "single source of the truth", empowering our clients to analyze that data for smarter decision making, actions and outcomes.
We invite you to learn more at: www.accenture.com/gb-en/understanding-data-analysis
What responsibilities will you have?
- Designing and implementing modern, scalable data pipelines for our clients leveraging Hadoop, NoSQL, Apache open source and emerging technologies, covering on-premise and cloud-based deployment patterns
- Providing advisory services and thought leadership on the selection and deployment of commercial and open source tools to process streaming, micro-batch and low latency workloads
- Designing and implementing data access patterns and data pipelines on Hadoop and NoSQL platforms leveraging agile, DevOps, continuous integration and continuous delivery approaches
- Provide innovative design and deployment approaches that leverage the best of innovations in in-memory processing, agile delivery, automated testing, containerisation etc. to enhance the speed and flexibility of testing analytics hypotheses and apply machine learning at scale
- Working closely with technology partners, Accenture Technology Labs and Innovation centres to incubate emerging technologies and build prototypes/demos to enhance our data engineering codebases and frameworks
- Supporting hackathons which allow us to work with publicly available data and open source tools to create new data engineering patterns and codebases
- Mentoring the next wave of data engineers and providing your skills and experience to enable clients to modernise their existing data pipelines
What skills & experience are we looking for?
We are looking for people who can complement our team with a demonstrable, hands-on range of skills out of the following:
- Processing frameworks & programming tools: Spark (Scala/Python/Java), Kafka, Flink
- Agile and DevOps delivery practices: familiarity with agile and DevOps delivery and deployment methodologies, experience with continuous integration, automated code reviews and regression testing using tools such as Atlassian Jira, Confluence, Cloudbees Jenkins, Selenium Grid, SonarQube and Docker
- Data modelling & data pipeline design: iterative data pipeline development from raw, curated, integrated to published data, with fit for use data modelling on Hadoop and NoSQL platforms
- Data wrangling: Trifacta, Paxata, Datameer, Tamr, Alteryx etc.
- Design skills: data product design thinking, features definition, prototyping, usability testing and data visualisation literacy
- APIs & Datatypes: experience working with RESTful APIs (including Cortana, Watson, TensorFlow), JSON, XML, unstructured data
- Machine Learning tools, interfaces & Libraries: R, R-Studio, Spark R, sparklyr, MLlib, H2O etc.
- Hadoop platforms & distributions: Cloudera, Hortonworks, BigInsights, MapR, EMR
- NoSQL: HBase, Cassandra, MongoDB, CouchDB, Memcached, DynamoDB, Druid, BigTable
- Search: SOLR, ElasticSearch
- Cloud platforms: AWS, Azure, GCP
- Relational DBs: Teradata, Oracle, Netezza, SQL Server
- Enterprise data integration, BI and analytics platforms: Informatica, Talend, InfoSphere, SAS, RevoR, QlikView, Qlik Sense, Tableau, Spotfire, D3.js
- Other tools, databases and Apache projects: Google BigQuery, Presto, Drill, Kylin, OpenTSDB etc.
- Solution architecture: end to end analytics solution architecture design and delivery estimation
- Client facing skills: ability to build trusted relationships with client stakeholders and act as a trusted adviser
Additional skills & experience
- End to end ML and data engineering pipeline development, performance tuning and testing with Spark (preferably Scala or Python)
- Experience with Docker and Mesos
- Executing proof of concepts to assess the value of Big Data / Machine Learning use cases
- Please share any code repository you have created with sanitized codebase/sanitized examples of code you have developed as part of your application.
What personal qualities do we expect?
- Proven ability to apply analytical and creative thought
- Proven ability to deliver high profile activities to tight timescales
- Proven success in contributing to a team-oriented environment
- Experience delivering projects within an agile environment
- Excellent leadership, communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills
- Keenness to learn and try new things
- Willingness to travel
- Ideally, educated to degree level
What’s in it for you?
- Your entrepreneurial spirit and vision will be rewarded, and your success will fuel opportunities for career advancement.
- You’ll make a difference for some pretty impressive clients. Accenture serves many of the FTSE 100 on high-profile projects.
- Opportunities to learn daily through training, assignments and collaboration with experts across the company.
- Access to leading-edge technology.
On top of this, we have an extensive benefits package which includes XX days’ vacation per year, gym subsidies, private medical insurance and 3 extra days leave per year for charitable work of your choice!
What are the next steps?
If this sounds like the ideal role, career and company for you, click below to apply.
Accenture is a leading global professional services company, providing a broad range of services and solutions in strategy, consulting, digital, technology and operations. Combining unmatched experience and specialised skills across more than 40 industries and all business functions—underpinned by the world’s largest delivery network—Accenture works at the intersection of business and technology to help clients improve their performance and create sustainable value for their stakeholders. Accenture drives innovation to improve the way the world works and lives. Visit us at http://www.accenture.com/.
Accenture is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of society and does not discriminate on grounds of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, or gender identity, or any other basis as protected by applicable law.
Closing Date for Applications 31/08/2018
Multiple Roles Available
Accenture reserves the right to close the role prior to this date should a suitable applicant be found.
Top Stories Past 30 Days