Sogang University: Data Scientist in Korean Studies
Seeking a full-time, tenure-track appointment in the Department of Global Korean Studies at Sogang’s School of Integrated Knowledge.
Sogang University seeks candidates for a full-time, tenure-track appointment in the Department of Global Korean Studies at Sogang’s School of Integrated Knowledge. The successful applicant will help shape the field of Korean studies by teaching undergraduate and graduate courses in data science as it relates to the production of knowledge about Korea and Korean culture. The successful applicant will also demonstrate her or his promise to produce globally significant research, as well as her or his ability to secure significant funding for a research agenda that aims to illuminate Korea and how knowledge about Korea is created.
The Department of Global Korean Studies and the School of Integrated Knowledge
Sogang is a premire liberal arts university located in central Seoul. The Departement of Global Korean Studies in situated in Sogang’s School of Integrated Knowedge along with the Department of Art and Technology. Courses in the Department of Korean Studies are conducted in English for Korean and international students of outstanding linguistic and computational ability with the aim of enabling those students to become global leaders in the production of knowledge about Korea.
Sogang University is an equal opportunity employer committed to enhancing equity, inclusion, and diversity within its community. It actively seeks applications from women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and other underrepresented groups. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment.
Successful applicants are likely to have research and teaching experience in one or more of the following
- Data Storage and Retrieval
- Digital Humanities
- Cultural informatics
- Bibliometrics, informetrics,
- Quantitative historical or anthropological analysis
- Applied Machine Learning
- Data Visualization
- Computer Vision
- Large-scale Data Mining
- Natural Language Processing
- Topic Modeling
- Digital Continuity
- Policy, Privacy, Ethics, Law (as they relate to data, digital technologies, and Korea)
- Science and Technologies Studies
- Research Design and Data Analytics
- Software Engineering
and must have
- Domain expertise on a topic related to the study of Korean culture and society
- Working knowledge of the field of Korean Studies
- Native or near-native English language proficiency and advanced Korean language skills
- PhD in computer science, information science, statistics, applied mathematics, software engineering or a closely related field with domain expertise in Korean studies.
- Qualified experience teaching and working in multicultural environments.
*Applications from doctoral candidates will be considered, but successful applicants must have a PhD in hand by the time of appointment, which is expected in February 2018.
- Applicants should submit an application form, a letter of interest, and a single PDF containing the first page of all publications from the past 3 years (since September 2014) at: professor.sogang.ac.kr
- Applications will be accepted between August 21 and September 21, 2017. Applications received during this period will receive full consideration.