Elsevier: Machine Learning Scientist
Seeking a Machine Learning Scientist to develop and apply machine learning methods in projects across Elsevier; use data analytics to support businesses and products; serve as internal and external specialist on Machine Learning techniques.
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Position: Machine Learning Scientist
Email Sven Schroder.
Do you have a passion for health and science and do you want to work at the forefront of technological development, and the opportunity to contribute to change? We would like to meet you!
We are looking for a Machine Learning Specialist who can focus on designing and creating systems that apply machine learning and information extraction techniques.
Focus of the position
You will be working with our business units on developing back bone analytics, clustering and other data science algorithms to expand our content and information offering to end customers. These services rely on advanced clustering and matching techniques, as well as on new and existing text and data mining processes. We want to develop automated deduplication, entity linking and clustering processes targeting specific problems in data curation, author and article identification, deduplication, matching and information retrieval, and improved filtering of information for relevance.
You will be working in Elsevier Operations with a varied and cross-functional team of IT and product colleagues to pilot and develop new methods of extracting and surfacing information relevant to our customers for new product development. As a Machine Learning Specialist, you will have the chance to support the implementation of industry-scale high-quality production systems. You will work closely with both the domain subject matter experts. Sample projects may include deduplication of research catalogues, indexing large volumes of research data, and compiling author or institutional profiles.
Main Activities and Responsibilities
- You will bring active experience in Machine Learning into the organization and knows the techniques to build indexes, normalize data, get features out of PDFs and Xml files alike, select algorithms and rule mechanisms that are necessary to capture the information desired from unstructured data.
- You will bring new processes into the organization in order to improve (in cost and time-efficiency) the data curation and information extraction processes that Elsevier owns.
- You will bring experience into the organization on extraction of unstructured and semi-structured information from large-scale data. Other fields of data mining may also be highly relevant – e.g. processing bio-informatics data, image or other signal processing.
- You will drive the implementation of automated recognition and annotation processes, in order to improve (in cost and time-efficiency) the data excerption processes that Elsevier is engaged with.
- You will actively promote new ideas of using this data to enhance our competitive offerings.
- You will actively contribute to product strategy by identifying and ingesting new technical capabilities to forward Elsevier mission of leading the way in advancing science, technology and medicine.
- You will also need to act as a liaison between IT developers and (content) subject matters experts, translating information needs into software development.
- You will serve as one of the ML experts in the wider Content and Innovation team. Actively contributing to a culture of product and process innovation, be a trusted resource in new development projects in Elsevier.
- You may coach other team members on a need basis and represent Elsevier's Machine Learning and NLP team to external partners
What you should bring
- University graduate (Master or PhD level) in machine learning, computer science, computational linguistics or an associated area.
- Technical skills software development experience in a curly brace language or Python, as well as scripting abilities.
- Experience with Spark and Hadoop/Mapreduce is a must.
- Experience with relational databases, manipulating data (ETL), and experience using *nix systems, open source software and libraries.
- Proven experience in data normalization and processing, NLP, and information extraction.
- Experience working with a variety of stakeholders at the mid and senior management level.
- Able to write design specifications, tests, maintaining documentation and perform code review
- Experience in relational databases, data mining and experience in working with large-scale datasets using tools such as Spark and Hadoop is required.
- A background in problems related to entity extraction and/or information clustering is highly desirable - and proven record of applying relevant techniques in industry environments is a big bonus.
- Ability to drive new developments and implement process changes and disruptive technologies in the organization.
- Familiarity with agile software development.
- Good communication and documentation skills with the ability to convey complex technical concepts to non-technical professionals.
- Knows how to improve efficiency of existing code, always considering performance factors
- Presentation skills and a good command of English are important.
What we offer
- We welcome you to a truly global, dynamic and challenging environment with great opportunities to develop yourself. Elsevier’s benefits are very competitive.
- Variable compensation driven by total revenue performance vs targets for the year.
- Commission paid on total revenue (all products), including new sales and major active renewals.
- Bonus plan subject to the company annual results
- Several local and global networking communities to share best practices and knowledge
- Various social responsibility programs, channeling knowledge and strengths to help communities around the world improve education, science, and healthcare and protect the environment.
An assessment or business case could be part of our selection procedure. A pre-employment screening will be part of our recruitment procedure.
Headquartered in Amsterdam, Elsevier has more than 7,500 employees, and serves customers in over 180 countries. Elsevier is a global information analytics company that helps institutions and professionals progress science, advance healthcare and improve performance for the bene t of humanity. We help researchers make new discoveries, collaborate with their colleagues, and give them the knowledge they need to find funding. We help governments and universities evaluate and improve their research strategies. We help doctors save lives, providing insight for physicians to find the right clinical answers, and we support nurses and other healthcare professionals throughout their careers.
We offer exceptional career development prospects, a chance to work at the forefront of technological development, and the opportunity to contribute to change. We need talented people to help us inspire ground-breaking research.
Want to read more? Please visit: www.elsevier.com