Pray.com: Sr Data Engineer
Seeking a Big Data Engineer who is passionate about applying quantitative information to solve tough problems and partnering with various teams across the company to help them harness the full potential of data.
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Position: Senior Data Engineer
Senior Data Engineer
Pray.com is a social impact company: we’re driven by a mission to help solve society’s challenges by creating tools that make people’s lives better. We walk the talk, live the D.R.E.A.M. and combine our talents to build something bigger than ourselves. Our team is comprised of people from all kinds of backgrounds – some of us pray, some of us meditate, and some of us just want to see more empathy in the world.
As a product, Pray is a private social network and donations platform for non-profits and faith-based organizations. We make it easy for people to connect with their communities, get involved, and provide support in times of need. We are dedicated to creating a world where everyone leaves a legacy of helping others.
Want to work with teammates driven to make the world a better place?
At Pray.com, you get both a career and a cause.
We believe that you can do well financially while doing good for your community. Our business was built on this principle and our investors have generously given us faith, and capital. In return, we’re scaling the company for maximum impact. With competitive salaries and a generous equity package, now is an amazing time to join our team. If making an impact while being part of a remarkable team sounds good to you, we’d love to hear from you.
We’re looking for a Big Data Engineer to join the Pray app. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about applying quantitative information to solve tough problems and partnering with various teams across the company to help them harness the full potential of data. You’ll help build out the data pipelines and data analysis tools that will enable us to take advantage of our amazing data set. Being able to gain valuable insights from data is a key part of this mission!
What You'll Do:
- Evaluate disparate data warehousing and ETL solutions to determine the best technology and solution for the analysis needs of our business. This evaluation must include an analysis of the sizing of the data, volume of queries, and frequency of updates of data via ETL
- Design data warehouse and data pipelines ensuring data integrity between systems is maintained. Deploy statistical controls that monitor data and metrics from internal and external systems to identify data integrity issues automatically.
- Architect, build, and launch new data models that provide intuitive analytics to design, product, and executives based on business processes and business requirements
- Leverage programming languages such as python and others to connect to APIs in order to facilitate and integrate data for analysis and modeling purposes. Ensure connections to APIs have technical documentation in order to facilitate maintenance and updates to these connections.
- Work across multiple teams in high visibility roles and own solutions end-to-end
What We're Looking For:
- M.S. degree in Computer Science or related field
- Proficiency in Python,Java,SQL (BigQuery, Oracle, Hive, etc)
- Experience with dimensional data modeling and schema design in Data Warehouses
- Experience in custom or structured (ie. Informatica/Talend/Pentaho) ETL design, implementation, and maintenance. Experience working with either a Map Reduce or a MPP system on any size/scale to write well-abstracted, reusable code components
- Experience building web applications and knowledge of web technologies (HTML/CSS/JS)
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to identify and communicate data-driven insights
- Excellent analytical skills, and strategic thinking/visioning
Every person at Pray.com is devoted to our vision of creating a world where everyone leaves a legacy of helping others.
We’re looking for talented engineers who understand and embrace our core values, D.R.E.A.M., which include: Devotion, Research, Empathy, Application, and Mindset. At Pray.com, respect for colleagues coming from all faith (and non-faith) backgrounds is a must. We simply appreciate the unbelievable honor and privilege of working with incredible people.
At Pray.com we take pride in being a highly-productive team. We collaborate using SCRUM Teams, provide candid constructive feedback to one another, and leverage agile business principles in an open office space that is located 2 blocks from the beach.
More About Us
Founded in 2016 by serial entrepreneur Steve Gatena and his team of rockstar co-founders, Pray.com was incubated by Mike Jones (Current CEO of Science and former CEO of MySpace) and currently operates out of the Science space in Downtown Santa Monica, which has also seen the likes of Dollar Shave Club, DogVacay, and FameBit pass through its doors.