UnitedHealth: Sr Director, Data Science – Advanced Research & Analytics
Seeking a Senior Director of Data Science, responsible for defining our analytic strategy, driving analytic innovation and delivering data science solutions across a variety of domains within UnitedHealthcare. The Senior Director of Data Science will manage our team of data scientists deployed across several business domains.
Location: Minnetonka, MN or Telecommute Considered
Position: Senior Director, Data Science - Advanced Research & Analytics
Data Science, Big Data and Automation are helping reinvent the healthcare system, helping people live heathier lives and making the healthcare system work better for everyone.
The Advanced Research and Analytics (ARA) organization of UnitedHealthcare delivers analytic services and solutions which support all aspects of UHC operations from intelligent claims adjudication, identification of fraud/waste/abuse, improved member/provider experience, clinical intelligence, and more. We deliver Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence and Big Data to turn healthcare data into information that improves the lives of our members, providers and the healthcare systems as a whole.
The Senior Director of Data Science is responsible for defining our analytic strategy, driving analytic innovation and delivering data science solutions across a variety of domains within UnitedHealthcare. The Senior Director of Data Science will manage our team of data scientists deployed across several business domains. The role will ensure continuity of best practices, alignment to a common analytic strategy, progress along an analytic innovation roadmap, collaboration with the broader analytic community within UnitedHealth Group, and the career progression of the team of data scientists.
The role will work in collaboration with ARA Portfolio Directors to plan solutions which align to business strategies. In addition, the role will work with the ARA Senior Director of Technology for Analytics and Big Data to define the analytic capability needs and data roadmap needed to support analytic solutions.
A strong candidate will have experience leading data scientists delivering advanced analytics (predictive analytics, machine learning, and artificial intelligence) within a large enterprise environment. Prior analytic delivery experience should include the delivery of solutions on the open source analytic platforms and include the development of solutions which integrate with business applications for real-time scoring through service oriented architecture.
You'll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Define analytic strategy for UnitedHealthcare
- Lead team of data scientists deployed across several business domains
- Define and ensure analytic best practices (methods, coding, knowledge sharing, etc.)
- Define and execute analytic innovation roadmap
- Lead efforts to increase the analytic acumen of business and IT stakeholders
- Ensure the delivery of business value/impact/results through the application and growth of data science
- Lead the collaboration with other analytic leaders across UnitedHealth Group including UnitedHealthcare, Optum Technology and Optum Enterprise Analytics
- Undergraduate degree
- 7+ years of experience in the development of enterprise solutions in the areas of advanced analytics (predictive analytics, machine learning, artificial intelligence)
- 7+ years of experience leading data science teams (career growth and positive employee experience)
- Experience with open source analytic platforms (R, Python, Scala, etc.) and commercial platforms (SAS, SPSS, Azure, etc.)
- Experience delivering analytic solutions on the Hadoop stack (MapReduce, Sqoop, Pig, Hive, Hbase, Flume)
- Experience integrating analytic models within business applications for real-time scoring
- Demonstrated experience consulting with executive management on analytic solutions
- Demonstrated experience setting and executing an analytic strategy
- Ability to navigate and drive results in a matrixed environment
- Ability to document and communicate complex concepts with clarity
- Ability to recognize analytical problems and define analytic solutions
- Effective in fast-paced team-oriented environment
- Master’s degree in data science, computer science or related field
- Experience delivering data science solutions within the Healthcare Payer domain including intelligent claims adjudication, identification of fraud/waste/abuse, improved member/provider experience, clinical intelligence
- Related experience in other industries
Careers with UnitedHealthcare. Let's talk about opportunity. Start with a Fortune 6 organization that's serving more than 85 million people already and building the industry's singular reputation for bold ideas and impeccable execution. Now, add your energy, your passion for excellence, your near-obsession with driving change for the better. Get the picture? UnitedHealthcare is serving employers and individuals, states and communities, military families and veterans where ever they're found across the globe. We bring them the resources of an industry leader and a commitment to improve their lives that's second to none. This is no small opportunity. It's where you can do your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group's Telecommuter Policy
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.