National Grid: Dev Ops – Operations Engineer / Sr Ops Engineer – Advanced Analytics
Seeking an Analytics Operations Engineer you will package, optimize, operationalize/productionize cloud based advanced analytical and big data software solutions.
At: National Grid
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Position: Dev Ops - Operations Engineer / Sr. Ops Engineer - Advanced Analytics
Do you want to change the world? We do. Did you know that there is no industry that touches more of humanity than Energy? In fact, Energy builds societies. Are you passionate about Clean Energy and empowering humanity in an intelligent and sustainable fashion? Then you think like us. Do you have the skills, intellect, creativity, and drive to transform, not just a company, but an industry through Big Data and Advanced Analytics? Then come join us as we transform the energy industry. We are the Advanced Data & Analytics team at National Grid and we are looking for world-class talent to join us on our mission: Bringing Energy to Life through Advanced Analytics.
About the Position:
As an Analytics Operations Engineer you will package, optimize, operationalize/productionize cloud based advanced analytical and big data software solutions developed by Analytics Software Engineers and collaborate on development efforts with the Analytics Software Engineers. Maintain software, monitor production level environments to ensure optimal performance. Identify inefficiencies in production level environments and correct/tune to improve upon them. Manage production control and batch/day to day operational processes. Fully document software and production level processes. Establish and maintain source control and change management processes and platforms.
The Analytics Operations Engineer is responsible for collaborating with the different Advanced Data & Analytics teams to productionize and operationalize software development efforts to meet the advanced analytical business need. The incumbent will need to be able to assemble developed components into fully functioning production level cloud based software solutions, managing and documenting every aspect of production level environments. Operationalized/productionized software is expected to be cloud ready, taking full advantage of API/cloud services and tools developed by Analytics Software Engineers that are necessary in the functional realm of advanced big data and analytics.
The incumbent is expected to have breadth and depth of knowledge in Programming / Software Development, Database Architecture, and Data Engineering. Incumbents should also have a familiarity with Advanced Analytics Toolsets, how to program with them, and be prepared to work in a highly multi-tasked environment with rapidly changing business priorities. Abilities to work cross functionally and in an Agile Team Setting are a must.
Position Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Have an understanding as to how advanced analytical models (Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, etc), tools and analyses work.
- Operationalize/productionize and implement full roll outs of software in the advanced analytical and big data discipline.
- Collaborate with Analytics Software Engineers to:
- Packaging and optimize software for full scale implementation and roll out to production.
- Enable the full documentation of software by Analytics Operations Engineers.
- Be able to troubleshoot/debug minor issues as needed.
- Ability to automate installation/operational monitoring using AWS tools.
- Fully manage production level environments ensuring optimal system level performance.
- Fully manage and operate production control operations and batch stream and real time operations.
- Fully manage and specify change and source control operations, processes, and platforms.
- Work with the other members of the Advanced Data & Analytics Team and be able to anticipate future developmental requirements.
- Be able to understand the business requirements that are requested in a project and translate them into technical specs and deliver actionable and scalable software solutions.
- Be able to facilitate discussions based on varying levels of technical expertise of the audience.
Knowledge & Experience Required:
- 4+ years' experience writing code in one or more scripting languages: SPARK, Python, Ruby, Java
- Has experience working with SQL Databases (Oracle, SQLServer, PostgreSQL)
- Capable of working with
- Non-SQL Databases (Hadoop, MongoDB, Cassandra) and Geospatial Databases
- Image Databases
- ETL – Pentaho, Kettle, SSIS
- AWS (Amazon Web Service) – Infrastructure Deployment & Multi-thread Programming, Cloud administration, IAM, VPC, EC2, RDS, EMR, S3, EBS, ELB
- Distributed Process Management – Elastic MapReduce (EMR), SPARK
- Analytics Operations Engineering skills (e.g. distributed computing, algorithms and data structures)
- Communication Skills
- A willingness to be proactive in sharing thoughts and opinions
- Capacity to communicate technically and in laymen’s terms
- Comfortable interacting with all levels of the organization
- Ability to communicate and interact with business teams without supervision
- Ability to translate extremely technical knowledge into business terms and vice versa
- Ability to learn and use multiple software components and data models quickly
- Ability to learn multiple programming languages/ database engines for the purposes of operationalizing, producing, managing production level software environments and analyzing data models for various advanced analytical and big data purposes
- Fully versed in various Operating System environments: Windows Server and Linux, system task scheduling, Bash programming
- Knowledge of networks and firewalls
- Data visualization and reporting techniques (graphs & plots)
- Develop sophisticated analytics programs, machine learning and statistical methods to produce actionable results and outputs
- Possess deep and demonstrable skills utilizing various open source programming languages necessary to operationalize advanced analytical and big data software.
- Operationalize and implement advanced analytical and big data software solutions to business problems in a holistic manner
- Ability to manage projects and supervise/mentor other team members
- Possesses skill set in the disciplines of Modeling, Data Engineering, Programming/Software Development and Statistical & Probabilistic Analyses broadly, with a concentration in one or more
- Ability to utilize machine learning tools and techniques working under the direction of Quantitative Analysts
- Ability to design and develop software solutions that can be leveraged across multiple projects and have scale for the future
- Possesses a significant knowledge of the business, how to apply analytics to it, and how to design and develop advanced analytical software
- Master’s degree in a computer science discipline (Engineering, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics or equivalent) is strongly preferred, with a background in computer programming and/or a minimum of 3-5 years experience in advanced data processing and software development is desired. Additional preference would be given to a candidate with a PhD degree in a quantitative discipline. Exceptional candidates considered with Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree in progress.
- Expert within their field. Extensive and significant knowledge of one field of work or broad technical depth in multiple, related fields sufficient to lead programs or projects.
- Knowledge of relevant industry practice and legislation. Knowledge of current trends within the industry and developments in legislation or regulation
- Proficient in relevant software. Ability to program in SPARK, Python, Java, C++ SQL, etc. for modeling purposes.
- Knowledge of industry operations and practices, with the ability to discuss concepts and value propositions.
- Knowledge of National Grid’s policies and processes and how to apply them effectively.
- Experience of managing project teams and projects independently.
- Experience in designing and implementing analytical tools to drive process/performance excellence.
- 1-5+ years of Java and Python development experience
- 1-5+ years with SQL, NoSQL, and data warehousing concepts
- 1-5+ years with RDBMS
- 1-5+ years of designing and developing cloud based object oriented software solutions
- Analytical Thinking: After analyzing data, has ability to see multiple relationships, identifying several likely causes or consequences of a situation
- Conceptual Thinking: Sees patterns or trends in data or situations, notices when something is similar to a past situation
- Information Seeking: Establishes the facts by digging deeper, asking probing questions and challenging initial responses from different sources
- Effective Communication: Detailing your techniques and discoveries to technical and non-technical audiences in a language they can understand.
- Industry Knowledge: Understanding the way your chosen industry functions and how data are collected, analyzed and utilized.
- Extensive experience with one or more of the following specialized areas: Geospatial & GIS data, Image and Remote Sensing data, distributed data platforms, NoSQL solutions, parallel and multi-processing techniques
- Mathematical Modeling: conceptualize mathematical models and develop software based solutions to model and optimize processes of and advanced analytical and big data nature
- Analytic Problem-Solving: Approaching high-level challenges with a clear eye on what is important; employing the right approach/methods to make the maximum use of time and human resources.
This position is one of National Grid’s career path roles which provide for promotional opportunities within and across salary bands as you develop and evolve in the position by gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise.We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve.National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.