Carfax: Statistician, Predictive Analytics
Seeking a Statistician, Predictive Analytics to maintain and enhance existing models by adding new features and incorporating new modeling techniques, and conduct R&D work to develop new predictive models that can be deployed within CARFAX products.
Location: Centreville, VA
Position: Statistician, Predictive Analytics
Join our WINNING team as a Statistician, Predictive Analytics
Are you an experienced Statistician/Data Scientist who wants to work with an endless amount of data? Want to help millions of consumers feel more confident in their car buying, owning, and selling journeys? Are you detail oriented and enjoy providing superior customer service? Are you looking for an environment built around the importance of open communication and where employee happiness is a pillar of company success? If so your next career opportunity is waiting for you at CARFAX.
The CARFAX Culture
People who work at CARFAX are happy. Our culture offers the unique blend of a high achieving, high-energy workforce in a casual, laid back setting. When you walk around at CARFAX you hear laughter and spontaneous celebrations and you see people in shorts and flip flops refueling themselves with a game of shuffle puck or by taking a few shots on one of the putting greens. Our employee-focused culture has been recognized as one of the “Great Places to Work” six years in a row by Washingtonian magazine and additionally by the Washington Post and Glassdoor! Are you ready to join a winning team, be inspired daily, and have a blast while doing it? If so, take a detour from your daily grind and apply today!
As a Statistician, Predictive Analytics, you will:
- Maintain and enhance existing models by adding new features and incorporating new modeling techniques
- Conduct R&D work to develop new predictive models that can be deployed within CARFAX products
- Develop and maintain quality control procedures to ensure models function accurately on an ongoing basis
- Document code and processes to ensure reproducibility
- Collaborate effectively with member of the product team to ensure model development work is closely aligned with product roadmap
- Minimum of 3 years of industry experience building predictive models on large data sets
- Experience with a broad range of supervised and unsupervised statistical learning techniques
- Experience with concepts such as regularization, variable encoding techniques, dimensionality reduction, cross-validation etc.
- Experience with survival analysis and working with time-to-event data
- Programming experience in R and tidyverse (dplyr, ggplot2, purrr etc.) packages
- Experience using SQL to query large relational databases (Oracle, Redshift etc.)
- Experience working with data stored in the Hadoop ecosystem (Spark and/or Hive)
- Excellent communication skills - should be able to communicate technical concepts in a clear and concise manner to various business stakeholders
- Intellectual curiosity and willingness to learn and apply new modeling techniques
- Pragmatic approach to solving problems - achieves goals by making incremental improvements and tracking progress over time
- M.S or PhD in Statistics, Computer Science, or related field
Nice to Have, but not required:
- Knowledge of Python for data analysis (scikit-learn, pandas, numpy etc.)
- Experience with tree based statistical models - random forests, gradient boosting etc.
- Experience with basic NLP techniques and text data mining
Carfax, a unit of IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO), helps millions of people every day confidently shop, buy, own and sell used cars with innovative solutions powered by Carfax vehicle history information. The expert in vehicle history since 1984, Carfax provides exclusive services like Carfax Used Car Listings, myCarfax, Carfax History-Based Value and the flagship Carfax® Vehicle History Report™ to consumers and the automotive industry. Carfax owns the world's largest vehicle history database and is a nationally recognized top workplace by The Washington Post and Glassdoor.com. Shop, Buy, Own, Sell – Show me the Carfax™. Based in London, IHS Markit is a world leader in critical information, analytics and solutions.