Cummins: Advanced Analytics Platform Principle Engineer [Columbus, IN]
Cummins is seeking a Advanced Analytics Platform Principle Engineer in Columbus, IN, to be responsible for the overall design performance and quality of the Advanced Analytics compute environment running the data science and analytics algorithms and the data engineering pipelines feeding multiple business processes and tools.
Location: Columbus, IN
Position: Advanced Analytics Platform Principle Engineer
Cummins is a place big enough to coach and develop a global workforce and create the world’s leading clean, engine technology. We’re also small enough for you to find your fit and personal passion with a team of dependable, innovative thinkers who are developing their careers within a diverse, inclusive, empowering environment.
Learn more about this role and how you can begin Working Right .
Our Corporate Business Unit delivers reliable, durable, high performing products to our global partners. Working in an innovative space, you’ll develop high tech solutions that will fuel your advanced career skill set and empower you to own your career. Our integrated businesses demand the talents and creativity of individuals with a wide range of skills and experience.
This is an exciting opportunity in Columbus, Indiana for an Advanced Analytics Platform Principle Engineer. Cummins USA is where you can work on industry leading projects.
This position is responsible for the overall design performance and quality of the Advanced Analytics compute environment running the data science and analytics algorithms and the data engineering pipelines feeding multiple business processes and tools. The role is accountable for the compute environment design over the entire development life-cycle and strategies for improvement, scalability, performance and more. Compute platform and infrastructure is key component overall Advanced Analytics system architecture.
- 10 plus years’ experience in compute platform design of clustered compute environments
- Demonstrated success in production level deployment of Hadoop and other Big Data technologies is required
- Significant experience in design, deployment and management of cloud-based platforms
- Strong familiarity with Microsoft Azure and/or AWS is desired
- Experience is optimization of internal and third-party software is required
- Knowledge of Advanced Analytics methods and tool sets and Data Engineering methods and tool sets is desired
- Knowledge of systems monitoring, profiling and alerting methods is required
- Excellent written, verbal and negotiation skills is required
In addition, your impact will happen in these and other ways:
- Provides application or infrastructure technical expertise, analysis and specifications for IT systems to meet business requirements in accordance with IT architecture policies and standards; translate requirements into technical specifications, create detailed solution design, coordinate construction, installation, configuration and testing of IT systems; and identifies, troubleshoots and resolves system technical issues.
- Creates and manages life cycle of technical specifications from which programs and configurations will be applied to create the application, infrastructure or complete solution.
- Assists in technical analysis of potential solutions including evaluating the technical fit and viability of commercial-of-the-shelf products versus custom built solution.
- Delivers solution adhering to standards and leveraging re-use of components.
- Creates high level and detail design of infrastructure OR applications, interfaces, conversions, extensions, reports, and workflows while meeting architecture, security, performance, scalability, and maintainability requirements.
- Assists technical and infrastructure groups in understanding the solution design and specifications.
- Works closely with IT technical service providers to ensure outsourced work packages are delivered to specifications, meeting key parameters of quality, schedule, cost, security, performance, and scalability.
- Conducts or participates in formal design reviews and code reviews (where applicable) to ensure the detailed design specifications have been understood and coding standards have been adhered to by the development team(s).
- Seeks appropriate opportunities to promote re-usability of component designs to reduce costs and shorten time to deliver solutions.
- Proactively seeks opportunities to enhance efficiency in the build and deploy processes, leveraging automation where possible.
- Assists in the test strategy and execution of master test plan.
- Participates in the creation of standards, processes, procedures, and guidelines for the IT design and development community as well work instructions or ‘runbooks’ used for end-user support.
- Analyzes and revises existing systems and documentation to identify remediation or improvements in the application or infrastructure solution.
- Provides level 3 support for critical non-routine issues.
- Coaches less experienced team members on technical matters.
Solution Design - Creates and defines the solution design complete with instrumentation and measurement, using Cummins IT processes, standards and tools, version control, and build and test automation to synthesize diagrams, models and documentation in order to build a solution that meets buildability, business, technical, security, governance and compliance requirements.
Solution Functional Fit Analysis - Composes and decomposes a system into its component parts using procedures, tools and work aides for the purpose of studying how well the component parts were designed, purchased and configured to interact holistically to meet business, technical, security, governance and compliance requirements.
Solution Modeling - Creates, designs and formulates models, diagrams and documentation using Cummins IT processes, standards, tools, version control, and build and test automation to meet business, technical, security, governance and compliance requirements.
Solution Configuration - Configures, creates and tests a solution for commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) applications using Cummins IT processes, standards and tools, version control, and build and test automation to meet business, technical, security, governance and compliance requirements.
Data Modeling - Creates, writes and tests data models, test scripts and build scripts using Cummins IT processes, standards and tools, version control, and build and test automation to meet business, technical, security, governance and compliance requirements.
Performance Tuning - Conceptualizes, analyzes and solves application, database and hardware problems using Cummins IT processes, standards and tools, version control, and build and test automation to meet business, technical, security, governance and compliance requirements.
Customer focus - Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.Decision quality - Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
Strategic mindset - Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
Directs work - Providing direction, delegating, and removing obstacles to get work done.
Develops talent - Developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization’s goals.
Values differences - Recognizing the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.
Significant relevant experience required.
Education, Licenses, Certifications
College, university, or equivalent degree inInformation Technology, Business or a related subject required.
Compensation and Benefits
Base salary rate commensurate with experience. Additional benefits vary between locations and include options such as our 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan, Cash Balance Pension Plan, Medical/Dental/Life Insurance, Health Savings Account, Domestic Partners Coverage and a full complement of personal and professional benefits.
Cummins and E-verify
At Cummins, we are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity in the workplace. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law. Cummins validates right to work using E-Verify. Cummins will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Ready to think beyond your desk? Apply for this opportunity to start your career with Cummins today. careers.cummins.com
Job SYSTEMS/INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
Primary Location United States-Indiana-Columbus-US, IN, Columbus, Corporate Office Building
Job Type Experienced - Exempt / Office
Recruitment Job Type Exempt - Experienced
Job Posting Nov 8, 2018, 3:41:38 PM
Unposting Date Ongoing
Req ID: 1800078U
Top Stories Past 30 Days