Cummins: Data Engineering Apps and Solutions Architect [Columbus, IN]
Cummins is seeking a Data Engineering Apps and Solutions Architect in Columbus, IN, to focus on the specific Architecture, tools and environment optimization for the Data Engineering team within the Advanced Analytics organization and applied to Cummins standards worldwide.
Location: Columbus, IN
Position: Data Engineering Apps and Solutions Architect
Cummins is a place big enough to coach and develop a global workforce and create the world’s leading clean, engine technology. We’re also small enough for you to find your fit and personal passion with a team of dependable, innovative thinkers who are developing their careers within a diverse, inclusive, empowering environment.
Learn more about this role and how you can begin Working Right .
Our Corporate Business Unit delivers reliable, durable, high performing products to our global partners. Working in an innovative space, you’ll develop high tech solutions that will fuel your advanced career skill set and empower you to own your career. Our integrated businesses demand the talents and creativity of individuals with a wide range of skills and experience.
This is an exciting opportunity in Columbus, Indiana for a Data Engineering Apps and Solutions Architect Cummins USA is where you can work on industry leading projects. This role will focus on the specific Architecture, tools and environment optimization for the Data Engineering team within the Advanced Analytics organization and applied to Cummins standards worldwide.
Your impact will happen in these and other ways:
- Conduct systems design, feasibility and cost studies and recommend cost-effective cloud solutions.
- Advise Data Engineering community on architecting and designing systems, interfaces and infrastructures that safely and efficiently power the Data pipelines for Advanced Analytics and BI execution on cloud and other platforms.
- Lead and deliver data engineering and pipeline architecture views and strategy through architecture solution life-cycle deliverables.
- Deliver the data engineering solution architecture design on Cummins Advanced Analytics projects and programs.
- Preparing and presenting potential technical solutions and advising the business on the technical and business value of the propositionwith appropriate trade-offs.
- Work with enterprise architects, project teams, functional and technical analysts to design solution architecture that meets operational requirements and is scalable, easily maintained, secure and highly available.
- Responsible for assessing, defining and championing the IT architecture strategies, principles, policies and standards in alignment with the IT strategy and governing their use; coordinates with project teams to create, document, assess and/or validate the application and infrastructure solution designs for specific systems.
- Applies enterprise architecture standards including styles, stacks, and patterns and applies them effectively.
- Develops project solution designs to meet business and technical requirements.
- Defines reference architectures aligned with IT technology standards to be reused as building blocks for other solutions.
- Participates as a change agent to drive strategic IT architecture direction.
- Leads and facilitates technical analysis, solution design, and technology domain sessions to drive optimum IT solutions.
- Builds strong relationships with customers and peers across IT to effectively promote solution development using standard technologies.
- Maintains awareness of emerging technologies, software trends, and tools.
- Considers multiple, varied alternatives and recommends appropriate solutions based on cost/benefit analysis.
- Facilitates and supports execution of pilot and or proof of concept activities to validate technology capabilities.
- Collaborates with project teams to understand requested capabilities and recommends the right set of technologies to meet the needs.
- Provides infrastructure capacity recommendations for new applications and systems.
- Ability to design and build cloud service models including IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS.
- Ability to design big data systems using Hadoop and other clustered compute techniques required.
- Prior experience designing Data Architectures and Models required.
- Prior experience building data sets for Analytics consumption desired.
- Experience dealing with streaming as well as batch data processing required.
- Strong technical acumen.
- Experience with solutions in Azure environment is preferred and AWS experience desired.
- Building and maintaining technical trusted advisor relationships with influential technical decision makers for the successful adoption and deployment of Cloud services and technologies for Data Engineering.
- Strong understanding of cloud computing technology and infrastructure required.
- Cloud security and compliance understanding preferred.
- Business and financial understanding for cloud computing preferred.
- Cloud Governance preferred.
- Designing and migrating applications to the cloud required.
- Integrating tools and services for Data Engineering for cloud computing required.
- Enterprise architecture and business needs analysis preferred.
Technical Skills - General Knowledge and Awareness of:
- Programming languages, such as Scala, Java, R, Python, Map-reduce
- Data pipeline deployment and tools (Attunity, NiFi ADF, Oosie, other)
- Data visualization and BI tools
- Data and Integration Architecture
- Data and Systems Integration
Intermediate level of relevant work experience required.
3-5 years’ experience in Data Engineering and data pipeline architecture and tool sets is required.
Additional experience in IT and Data Engineering desired.
Education, Licenses, Certifications
College, university, or equivalent degree in Information Technology, Business or a related subject required.
Compensation and Benefits
Base salary rate commensurate with experience. Additional benefits vary between locations and include options such as our 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan, Cash Balance Pension Plan, Medical/Dental/Life Insurance, Health Savings Account, Domestic Partners Coverage and a full complement of personal and professional benefits.
Cummins and E-verify
At Cummins, we are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity in the workplace. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law. Cummins validates right to work using E-Verify. Cummins will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Ready to think beyond your desk? Apply for this opportunity to start your career with Cummins today.careers.cummins.com
Not ready to apply but want to learn more? Join our Talent Community to get the inside track on great jobs and confidentially connect to our recruiting team.
Job SYSTEMS/INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
Primary Location United States-Indiana-Columbus-US, IN, Columbus, Corporate Office Building
Job Type Experienced - Exempt / Office
Recruitment Job Type Exempt - Experienced
Job Posting Dec 3, 2018, 9:25:16 AM
Unposting Date Ongoing
Req ID: 180007F4