Cummins: Data Engineering Technical Specialist [Columbus, IN]
Cummins is seeking a Data Engineering Technical Specialist in Columbus, IN, to develop high tech solutions that will fuel your advanced career skill set and empower you to own your career.
Location: Columbus, IN
Position: Data Engineering Technical Specialist
Cummins is a place big enough to coach and develop a global workforce and create the world’s leading clean, engine technology. We’re also small enough for you to find your fit and personal passion with a team of dependable, innovative thinkers who are developing their careers within a diverse, inclusive, empowering environment.
Learn more about this role and how you can begin Working Right .
Our Corporate Business Unit delivers reliable, durable, high performing products to our global partners. Working in an innovative space, you’ll develop high tech solutions that will fuel your advanced career skill set and empower you to own your career. Our integrated businesses demand the talents and creativity of individuals with a wide range of skills and experience.
This is an exciting opportunity in Columbus, Indiana for a Data Engineering Technical Specialist. Cummins USA is where you can work on industry leading projects.
This engineering service focused position includes those who develop and maintain the information technologies, functional excellence and product change management that enables the engineering practitioners to work more efficiently and effectively.
Unique Qualifications and Competencies:
5 years minimum experience in design and development for a Big Data platform using open source and third-party tools including but not limited to:
- SPARK, Scala, Map-Reduce, Sqoop, Hive, Hbase, and Kafka or equivalent classwork with and advanced degree.
- ODBC and SQL query language is required.
- Experience implementing on Microsoft Azure Cloud environment is required.
- Experience developing on Amazon Web Services Cloud environment is a plus.
- Experience developing SFTP and large file movement protocols for a Cloud-based environment, is required.
- Experience with Agile software development desired.
Unique Key Responsibilities:
- Lead Design and Develop efforts for self or small team on Data and Analytics Platform.
- Design and implement Data Ingestion, Transformation and Storage for various, evergreen data sources.
- Design and Implement Data Quality and veracity assurance methods, rules, measures.
- Design Implement Data Security strategies for controlling access to data including access to internal users/data sources as well as external users/data sources.
- Design and Implement automated reports and API’s for visualization and analytics development.
- Design and Implement data pipeline development methods that combine internal Cummins' data sources as well as external and third-party sources.
- Design and Implement data models, data storage architectures.
- Design and Implement system and data measures as well as alert mechanisms.
- Lead failure mode analysis and troubleshooting.
In addition, your impact will happen in these and other ways:
- Investigates technical information and knowledge based infrastructure opportunities and challenges; understands causal mechanisms, recommends appropriate action, owns problem resolution and documents results.
- Designs and/or provides support of information processes such as Engineering Standard Work (ESW), Value Package Introduction (VPI, change management and data repositories such as technical information libraries, all required to meet the needs of practitioners within the technical function.
- Obtains input and negotiates with a broad variety of technical practitioners to deliver new and revised processes and tools that advance the capability of the function and its ability to deliver high quality drawings and specifications.
- Makes decisions, plans and implements new and revised processes, work instructions, software and/or computing solutions that improves the technical quality, efficiency and/or effectiveness of the technical function.
- Provides independent leadership of smaller business impact projects or ownership of complex systems or services with full accountability to the project team.
- Delivers independent execution of established and emerging work processes and systems, while still developing technology or product knowledge.
- Leads the development and improvement of work processes and systems across a functional discipline area within a business unit site.
- Coordinates and directs work amongst technicians and temporary student employees, assists in the transfer of knowledge to lesser experienced engineers through either indirect (scope of influence) or direct management of a small, local group of engineers.
- Provides support and guidance to influence technical direction within a project team and continues to develop proficiency in the competency areas critical to success in the role.
Development and Management of Technical Function Standards and Practices - Creates and modifies standardized work processes, instructions, tasks or tools utilizing new learning and knowledge gained as part of product development, process improvement or other technical development activities; advises stakeholders with the goal of enabling improved technical productivity and effective knowledge transfer to others who were not originally part of the initial learning.
Solution Assessment and Validation - Assesses the proposed solution using the requirements traceability through the life cycle of the requirements to determine if they deliver the desired business outcome.
Requirements Elicitation - Discovers and documents functional and non-functional requirements using the Business Analysis Toolkit (modeling the five aspects and creating use cases) to effectively communicate the business needs and solution characteristics for solution design.
Knowledge Management - Ensures perspectives, ideas, experiences and information are available in the right place and the right time using the required processes and tools to enable informed decisions.
Troubleshooting - Diagnoses and resolves the customer-identified issue by utilizing appropriate department standards to satisfy customer expectations.
Optimizes work processes - Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
Decision quality - Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
Drives results - Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
Communicates effectively - Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
Builds networks - Effectively building formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization.
Resourcefulness - Securing and deploying resources effectively and efficiently.
Manages complexity - Making sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Prior Senior or Lead Engineer equivalent work experience in a relevant discipline area is required with a demonstrated track record of technical problem solving and quality decision making.
- Knowledge of MS Office tools is preferred.
- Position is accountable for design leadership, development and maintenance of a data and analytics platform within a "Big Data" distributed computing cluster on a cloud environment. Candidates are expected to be proficient in this environment and its tools to effectively and efficiently process, store and make data available to analysts and other consumers.
- Candidates must have proven design and implementation skills in this type of environment, ability to lead design efforts, a strong desire to grow expertise in Big Data tools and methods, and stay up to date on emerging software and technologies.
Education, Licenses, Certifications
Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Engineering, Computer Science or Information Technology required.
Compensation and Benefits
Base salary rate commensurate with experience. Additional benefits vary between locations and include options such as our 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan, Cash Balance Pension Plan, Medical/Dental/Life Insurance, Health Savings Account, Domestic Partners Coverage and a full complement of personal and professional benefits.
Cummins and E-verify
At Cummins, we are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity in the workplace. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law. Cummins validates right to work using E-Verify. Cummins will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Ready to think beyond your desk? Apply for this opportunity to start your career with Cummins today. careers.cummins.com
Primary Location United States-Indiana-Columbus-US, IN, Columbus, Corporate Office Building
Job Type Experienced - Exempt / Office
Recruitment Job Type Exempt - Experienced
Job Posting Nov 8, 2018, 3:41:02 PM
Unposting Date Ongoing
Req ID: 1800073O
|Top Stories Past 30 Days|