Fors Marsh Group: Lead Data Scientist [Arlington, VA]
Seeking an intelligent and motivated Lead Data Scientist (Subject Matter Expert) to grow our data science portfolio. As a part of our Advanced Analytics division, the Lead Data Scientist will have the opportunity to provide expert support on a variety of behavioral research and data science projects.
At: Fors Marsh Group
Location: Arlington, VA
Position: Lead Data Scientist
At Fors Marsh Group (FMG), we combine the power of science and strategy to improve people’s lives. Each day, we work with institutions and organizations that seek to understand behavior, drive action on a national or global scale, and create a positive impact on the world. FMG was created with the vision of becoming a refreshingly different type of research and consulting firm by solving challenges through solutions steeped in scientific theory, methodological rigor, and creativity. This vision has shaped core capabilities led by experts in their field, which include health communications, human capital management, digital marketing and design and data science.
As a Certified B Corporation and 2018 AMA Top 50 Market Research Company, FMG’s positive impact extends far beyond our client portfolio. FMG makes a difference in the community through pro bono service to nonprofits that are aligned with FMG’s corporate values.
FMG is seeking an intelligent and motivated Lead Data Scientist (Subject Matter Expert) to grow our data science portfolio. As a part of our Advanced Analytics division, the Lead Data Scientist will have the opportunity to provide expert support on a variety of behavioral research and data science projects, including work for government and private sector clients. The Lead Data Scientist’s primary responsibility will be overseeing the technical aspects of data science projects and growth and development of the data science portfolio. This individual should bring expertise in data mining, statistical learning, supervised and unsupervised machine learning, applied research, and client management experience. This job is best for someone who enjoys solving challenging analytic problems, has experience extracting insights from large, complex, and multi-source data sets, and thrives in a collaborative environment.
- Providing subject matter expertise on appropriate advanced analytic techniques (e.g., statistical and supervised or unsupervised machine learning techniques, big data technology) for applied research projects
- Supporting the creation and execution of marketing and business development plans to support growth of FMG’s data science portfolio, including writing and reviewing proposals; managing analytic tasks and projects
- Managing analysts (formally and informally) on data science projects
- Coordination with team members, subcontractors, and cross-division teams. Ensures all project work is completed on time, in line with contract requirements, client expectations, and FMG’s standards.
- Maintaining primary communication with clients internal and external to the organization
- Supporting all aspects of the analytic process, including data acquisition, storage, modeling, and optimization.
- Writing, reviewing, and presenting written reports and professional briefings that summarize findings for general and technical audiences.
- Keep up-to-date with latest technology trends pertaining to statistical, mathematical, and data science methodologies, as well as cloud storage and computing and big data infrastructure
- Engaging with the relevant research and technical communities through a variety of methods (presentations, papers, memberships, etc.)
- Designing and conducting training on analytic techniques within FMG
- Fostering relationships with current and potential clients
- Master’s degree or higher in mathematics, statistics, computer science, or a related field.
- High level of proficiency in multiple statistical programming languages and/or platforms (e.g., R, SparkR, Python, Apache Hadoop, Spark); experience with computer programming languages a plus.
- Ten years of professional research experience required, preferably managing a project team. Good understanding of machine learning algorithms (e.g., decision trees, k-means, random forests, SVM) and their practical uses and limitations.
- Ten years of practical experience with ETL, data processing, big data, and data analytics.
- Able to understand various data structures and common methods in data transformation.
- Strong quantitative ability and a keen eye for detail and accuracy.
- Demonstrated record of technical and business writing.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively independently and as a team member.
- U.S. citizen
- Applicants are subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility criteria for access to sensitive information.
- A highly collegial and intellectually stimulating work environment.
- Highly competitive benefit/compensation package.
- Growth opportunities.
Top Stories Past 30 Days