Aliya: Data Scientist [New York, NY]
Seeking a data scientist to be responsible for assisting with the development of Aliya’s state-of-the-art, advanced analytical machine-learning-based software framework that can ingest, structure and model large amounts of data in different formats and from different sources.
Location: New York, NY
Position: Data Scientist
Email Kelvin Zhang (email@example.com).
Founded in early 2015, Aliya Financial Technologies (Aliya) is a data and analytics company founded and fully funded by the industry's leading innovators, engineers, and capital markets specialists, whose successful careers have spanned from world-class companies like Sofi, and Amazon to Capital One, Fortress Capital, Tiger Management, Credit Suisse, and Bank of America. We are located in New York City.
Our mission is to create a paradigm shift in the financial ecosystem. We accomplish this by building intelligent systems to provide fair and efficient pricing to outdated sectors within the financial system. Our goal is to become the modern-day Village Banker. The traditional Village Banker conducted business through relationships and deep knowledge of the end customer’s true financial situation and behavioral characteristics. Aliya is doing the same through the use of modern machine learning and alternative data analytics.
We have enabled financial institutions to create deeper, more profitable lending relationships within their existing customer base, while helping millions of hardworking individuals gain access to credit at fair, transparent pricing. Our proprietary advanced analytics risk engine is in production with a top 10 U.S. bank originating over $100 million of loans per month.
Ultimately, we want to make a major impact on the standard of living of every hardworking individual by giving them access to less expensive loans and other financial products, thereby positively benefiting society as a whole.
- RELENTLESS pursuit of our mission. We believe nothing is impossible—obstacles are meant to be overcome. We encourage and reward those who push the team to the limit in pursuit of our mission.
- COLLABORATIVE—We are a company run by ideas, and we believe ideas flourish in a team environment. For us, team always comes first.
- CURIOUS—We are constantly questioning the status quo and searching for revolutionary alternatives to antiquated solutions.
- EMPATHETIC—We are obsessed with ensuring that our partners have the best partner experience possible.
- INNOVATIVE—We are financial innovators and talented data scientist who believe that creativity and imagination are critical to intelligent risk-taking.
- COMMITTED —We are committed to our Aliya family, culture, and values, and take care of each other. We also strive to positively impact the communities around us through service, fundraising, and community outreach efforts.
The data scientist will be responsible for assisting with the development of Aliya’s state-of-the-art, advanced analytical machine-learning-based software framework that can ingest, structure and model large amounts of data in different formats and from different sources. We are looking for data scientist that are capable of helping with the design of systems that can grow and maintain Aliya’s competitive advantage. In addition, the data scientist must be able to learn, assist and take initiative on various data modeling projects related to new business initiatives.
- Help develop and optimize key components of models, leveraging various data sources and types
- Help manage existing models: updates/refits, monitoring and governance tasks
- Lead partner credit risk models
- Assist with the build out of data science framework and architecture to facilitate reproducibility, collaboration, and scalability
- Conduct machine learning and data science R&D with the goal of improving our ever-evolving machine learning and data science pipeline
- Contribute to Aliya’s growing analytics library
- Work on end to end data science projects related to new business initiatives
- Be a great team member and be able to work with, learn from, and assist machine learning experts within the company
- Strong proficiency of Python and object-oriented programming
- Knowledge of the following: NumPy, SciPy, pandas, scikit-learn
- Knowledge of basic statistics and data analysis
- Knowledge of basic data science, machine learning and modeling workflow
- Experience with open source software for data ingestion and data processing
- Ability to both follow and take lead, depending on the situation
- Academic or industry examples of machine learning models previously built
- Relevant hands on work with unclean, semi-structured or unstructured data sets
- Experience working in teams of analysts, data engineers, statisticians, and data scientists
- Experience using source control tools like Git
- Experience in customer behavior, credit and marketing and/or customer engagement
- Proficient analytical and math background
- Demonstrated success in performing within a functional organizational environment
- Innovative mindset—thinks beyond the status quo
- Knowledge of Spark, Hadoop, H20 and/or cloud computing are preferred
- BS / BA degree in Math, Statistics, Physics, Engineering, Computer Science or other highly quantitative field is required with exceptions considered
- Completion of Masters in quantitative field is preferred
- Compensation: Competitive market-based salary, plus performance-based cash bonus and equity options
- Position based in New York, NY
- Periodic travel (average once a month travel)
Full-time employee benefits:
- Medical: United HealthCare Standard with no annual deductible (100% employer paid) for individual employee and family
- Dental: MetLife Enhanced (100% employer paid)—annual deductible of $50 (individual) & $150 (family)
- 401(K): 3% employer match
- Group Term Life Insurance (up to 2x annual salary)
- Short Term Disability
- Long-Term Disability