Waste Management: Data Scientist [Houston, TX]
Waste Management is seeking a Data Scientist in Houston, TX, to support their digital marketing, customer and other business segment teams with insights gained from analyzing customer data.
At: Waste Management
Location: Houston, TX
Position: Data Scientist
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
The Enterprise Analytics & Data Management team is part of the Waste Management’s Digital organization. Our mission is to accelerate business growth and drive operational efficiencies by extracting insights from data, predicting business outcomes and embedding intelligence into business processes. As a member of EADM you will deliver insights and solutions across the organization in areas such as routing, logistics, revenue management, customer experience, people analytics, business operations and more.
We are currently seeking a Customer Data Scientist.
The Customer Data Scientist will support our digital marketing, customer and other business segment teams with insights gained from analyzing customer data. The ideal candidate is adept at using large data sets to find opportunities for customer acquisition, nurturing and retention and using models to test the effectiveness of different courses of action. S/he must have strong experience using a variety of data mining/data analysis methods, using a variety of data tools, building and implementing models, using/creating algorithms and creating/running simulations. S/he must have a proven ability to drive business results with their data-based insights. S/he must be comfortable working with a wide range of stakeholders and functional teams. The right candidate will have a passion for discovering solutions hidden in large data sets and working with stakeholders to improve business outcomes.
This role will drive predictive and prescriptive analytics to guide and support strategic decisions on Value Based Marketing, leverage machine learning techniques to identify new opportunities to drive the business growth through rapid simulation using customer behavioral data science.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. Other ancillary duties may be assigned.
- Work with stakeholders throughout the organization to identify opportunities for leveraging company data to drive business solutions.
- Mine and analyze data from company databases to drive optimization and improvement of product development, marketing techniques and business strategies.
- Assess the effectiveness and accuracy of new data sources and data gathering techniques.
- Develop custom data models and algorithms to apply to data sets.
- Use predictive modeling to increase and optimize customer experiences, revenue generation, ad targeting and other business outcomes.
- Develop and deploy both traditional statistical models and machine learning techniques and algorithms: Regression, clustering, neural networks, Anomaly Detection, Random Forest etc. to guide marketing investments and strategy.
- Partner with in-house data strategy experts to design analytically ready datasets by stitching customer data across multiple platforms and incorporating business rules.
- Periodically validate model performance and update models based on changing business strategies/objectives.
- Develop processes and tools to monitor and analyze model performance and data accuracy.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor's degree, Master’s or PHD in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science or another quantitative field.
- 4+ years of experience manipulating data sets and building analytics models.
- Familiarity with the following software/tools:
- Knowledge and experience in statistical and data mining techniques: GLM/Regression, Random Forest, Boosting, Trees, text mining, social network analysis, etc.
- Experience querying databases and using statistical computer languages: R, Python, SLQ, etc.
- Experience using web services: Redshift, S3, Spark, DigitalOcean, etc.
- Experience creating and using advanced machine learning algorithms and statistics: regression, simulation, scenario analysis, modeling, clustering, decision trees, neural networks, etc.
- Experience analyzing data from 3rd party providers: Google Analytics, Site Catalyst, Coremetrics, Adwords, Crimson Hexagon, Facebook Insights, etc.
- Experience with distributed data/computing tools: Map/Reduce, Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Gurobi, MySQL, etc.
- Experience visualizing/presenting data for stakeholders using: Periscope, Business Objects, D3, ggplot, etc.
- Experience analyzing customer data to support the acquisition of customer, cross-selling, customer retention, customer experience, and customer lifetime value.
- Experience in digital analytics / customer analytics / omni-channel analytics with a demonstrated track record of results driving growth of revenue, conversion and overall profitability through an increase in Digital Channel Mix and self-service / DIY transactions.
- Experience with eCommerce / web behavior analytics
- Experience connecting sales/operational/channel data between multiple online and offline data sources.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- Certified Analytics Professional (CAP) or other Data Science certifications a plus
Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- Strong written and oral communication skills with ability to work with users, peers and management.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team to successfully execute projects.
- Highly motivated, self-starter with problem solving skills.
- Ability to multitask and meet aggressive deadlines efficiently and effectively.
- Detail-oriented but does not lose sight of the big picture.
- Demonstrate ability to learn and understand business processes quickly.
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Normal setting for this job is: office setting
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.