University of North Florida: Data Scientist [Jacksonville, FL]
Seeking a Data Scientist to design, develop, and execute data analytics projects and initiatives, and deliver findings and recommendations to support the mission of the university.
At: University of North Florida
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Position: Data Scientist
- Leverages large volumes of data from multiple university sources into advanced custom predictive and prescriptive models that assess, inform, guide, measure, and monitor the University’s strategic and operational initiatives.
- Employs appropriate descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive methods such as statistical modeling, data mining, machine learning, and data visualization to analyze, predict, understand, and improve a variety of institutional outcomes, including but not necessarily limited to academic enrollment, engagement, retention, graduation, and key institutional performance metrics.
- Works with leadership in Strategic Analytics to derive specific insights and recommendations from analytics modeling that can improve institutional decision-making, and to identify opportunities for leveraging University data and data analytics to drive improvement.
- Prepares analytics findings for university constituents outside of Strategic Analytics in a manner that is understandable by personnel who do not have analytics expertise.
- Develops processes and tools to evaluate analytics model performance.
- Identifies needs for additional data and for additional data capturing and analytics infrastructure that can improve organizational efficiency and effectiveness.
- Assists in the acquisition and integration of organizational data and in the development of the university’s enterprise data warehouse.
- Provides input to Institutional Research, Assessment, and Information Technology Services as those units improve the delivery of analytics findings to the university community.
- Fully documents the approaches and techniques used in each analytics project, and develops, stores, and deploys data sets, programming code, spreadsheets, and other analytics derivative works, such that follow-on effort and organizational learning are facilitated.
- Writes and presents regular status reports, summaries, and research briefs regarding analytics projects and findings.
- Guides data analytics specialist(s) and other affiliated staff on appropriate techniques for analyzing data.
- Maintains an understanding of new and leading data analytics methods, practices, trends, implementations, and developments that could improve University performance.
- Maintains compliance with institutional policies and standards on data privacy and security.
- Maintains a high level of confidentiality in managing data.
- Participates and engages in efforts to further develop and implement the goals of Strategic Analytics, and to building an institutional culture of data-driven decision-making.
- Performs work thoroughly and with close attention to detail.
- Performs special projects and other miscellaneous duties as assigned.
- During declared campus emergencies, this position may be required to perform specific job related duties at a designated off campus location or place of residence.
A Master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university in a directly related area of specialization and four years of experience directly related to the job functions; or a Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university in a directly related area of specialization and six years of experience directly related to the job functions.
Preference shown to applicants who meet the required qualifications and also possess the following:
- Master’s degree in data analytics, data science, business analytics, operations research, statistics, or a related quantitative research field from a regionally accredited college or university, and at least two years of full-time work experience directly relevant to advanced data analytics, or
- Bachelor’s degree in data analytics, data science, business analytics, operations research, statistics, or a related quantitative research field from a regionally accredited college or university, and at least five years of full-time work experience directly relevant to advanced data analytics.
- Demonstrated mastery of SAS, R, SPSS, and/or other relevant predictive and prescriptive modeling software.
- Knowledge of advanced statistical and data mining techniques (e.g., multiple regression, discriminant analysis, logistic regression, Tobit) and their proper usage, and experience with applications.
- Knowledge of a variety of machine learning techniques (e.g., clustering, decision trees, random forests, neural networks) and their real-world advantages/drawbacks.
- Experience with data visualization tools (e.g., Power BI).
- An advanced understanding of quantitative research and mixed methods approaches as well as an ability to manage multiple projects.
- Strong work ethos with high personal and professional ethical standards.
- High level of energy, flexibility, initiative, and creativity.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and written/oral communication skills.
- Ability to self-start and self-learn.
- Proficiency in Windows and Microsoft Office computer systems.
- Work experience in a higher education setting.
- Demonstrated understanding of issues in higher education, specifically factors associated with student success.
- Demonstrated understanding of fundamental business principles, including those associated with business process improvement.
- Experience in management of personnel in an organizational environment.
- Demonstrated success in collaborative research projects and/or in working with cross-functional teams.
- Experience working with higher education data is strongly preferred.
- Experience in data querying and data extraction is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of optimization modeling (e.g., linear / integer programming) techniques.
Please submit a list of three professional references that includes their names, titles, and contact information as “Department Specific” document.
Applicants must complete an online application, as well as upload supplemental documents, at www.unfjobs.org in order to be considered for this position. Applicants who do not apply online and/or upload all the required documents will not be considered for this position. Once you submit both your completed application and uploaded documents you will receive a confirmation number. Keep the confirmation number for your records. If you have any questions about this position, please contact Matt Grandstaff at (904) 620-2015, or [email protected] Initial review of applications will begin on 9/15/2019.