From: Janice Evans
Date: 15 Feb 2005
Subject: Bellevue, WA: Sr. Director of Business Analytics at drugstore.com
drugstore.com, inc. (NASDAQ: DSCM) is a leading online provider of
health, beauty, wellness, personal care, vision and pharmacy
solutions. Located on the Internet at www.drugstore.com, the
drugstore.comô Web store sells health, beauty, wellness, personal
care, sexual well-being and pharmacy products. The online store
provides a convenient, private, and informative shopping experience
that encourages consumers to purchase products essential to healthy,
General Job Description:
This full time position is responsible for strategic and tactical
support of all business analysis functions for the company, primarily
through the analysis & dissemination of information from internal &
external data sources. This individual will work closely with
Marketing, Merchandising, Finance, Technology, Product Management,
Operations and various members of senior management on database and
decision support projects that contribute to a comprehensive view of
the company's market position, on-going performance, and strategic
options, as well as providing insight on the existing and potential
customer base. The position will be responsible for developing and
executing strategic market, merchandising and customer analysis
projects at the request of senior management, as well as prioritizing
/ supporting ad hoc requests for other areas of the company.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Lead team to design market / product analyses, utilizing multiple sources of internal and external databases
- Serve as the primary resource for senior management for the analysis and profiling of customer information - responsible for assessing the quality and growth potential of the current & future buyers
- Manage team of resources for the development and analysis of strategic objectives & initiatives - particularly objectives relating to customer performance and website usage
- Hiring, development & mentoring of analytical staff resources
- Lead analytical staff to provide short-term and intermediate-term analytical support for Marketing, Market Research & Merchandising initiatives - ranging from product analyses, customer profiling and SWOT (Strength, Weakness, Opportunity & Tactics) analyses.
- Primary resource for acquisition of external data and software relating to the customer
- Design / develop formal presentations to senior management / channel executives to summarize and identify key trends in market position (market share, competitive set, relative performance vs. key retail / catalog / web competitors)
- Design / develop on-going reporting regarding product / merchandising group performance internally and against key competitor set
- Lead the development and design of key metrics reporting
- Lead comparative pricing analysis
- Own the analysis of the performance of our marketing initiatives and analytical insights
- Own the analysis of the site, traffic, conversion and all other performance metrics and resulting analytical insights
- Work in collaboration with Data Warehouse team to optimize the company's collection and use of data
- Communicate and work effectively to ensure that Marketing, Merchandising, Product Management and senior management analytical requirements are met.
- Assist Executive Team management on projects as needed
- 10-12 years experience in working with market research / strategic planning / merchandising planning in a retail or direct marketing environment.
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in business, statistics, finance or market research
- MBA / Master's degree in business, marketing research preferred
- Experience in working with survey or panel market research data (Simmons, NPD, Scarborough, etc) in the development / execution / tracking of strategic planning, customer profiling and / or merchandising planning
- Targeted marketing experience, particularly in the area of customer email programs
- Experience in data mining, analyzing large datasets & quantifying customer purchase behavior / web visitation trends. Demonstrated experience in statistical modeling & other trend analysis methods (examples: ordinary least squares, logistic regression, survival analysis, neural networks, text mining)
- Hands-on experience in working with web site analysis tools and/or web activity data
- Experience / advance training in the use of SQL, SAS or SPSS data analysis software; experience / exposure to Business Objects or other OLAP tools.
- Experience in design & presentation of market analysis results to broad audiences, including senior management and channel executives
- Demonstrated work experience in MS Office software (Excel, ACCESS, PowerPoint)
- Work experience in design, execution and evaluation of market research projects preferred.
- Accurate and detail oriented.
- Highly motivated, a team player and a self-starter.
- Strong organizational, prioritization and time management skills.
- Ability to adapt and be flexible to change.
- Demonstrated experience in managing a team of analysts for at least 5 years.
Manager, Recruiting & Retention