- Interview: John Funge, CTO, Knack on Why Gaming is the Next Big Thing for Hiring - Aug 18, 2014.
We discuss the gamification of hiring, founding story of Knack, applications of Predictive Human Analytics, challenges, Big Data tools and technology used, key qualities sought in data scientists, career advice and more.
- Interview: Pallas Horwitz, Blue Shell Games on Why Gaming Analytics is Not a Piece of Cake - Aug 15, 2014.
We discuss the challenges of gaming analytics, most desired missing data, current trends, career advice, important soft skills in data science and more.
- Interview: Sujee Maniyam, Elephant Scale on Why Open Source is So Important for Big Data - Aug 8, 2014.
We discuss the importance of contributing to Open Source, Big Data skills for business managers, Big Data predictions, key qualities sought in data engineers, career advice and more.
- Interview: Thomas Levi, PlentyOfFish on What does Big Data tell us about Romance - Jul 30, 2014.
We discuss interesting research on the state of romance in US, how PlentyOfFish is managing competition, personal journey from String Theory to Data Science, career advice and more.
- Interview: Amy Gaskins, AVP, MetLife on New Era Hiring at MetLife through Synapse - Jul 23, 2014.
We discuss the motivation behind launch of Synapse, updating the recruitment process to meet today's needs, data science trends, career advice, important soft skills and more.
- Interview: Cliff Lyon, Stubhub on Mastering Recommendation & Personalization Analytics Part 2 - Jul 19, 2014.
We discuss current trends, future vision, interesting correlations, privacy concerns, and advice for Data Science practitioners.
- Interview: Piero Ferrante, BCBS on Why Healthcare is Rich in Data but Poor in Information - Jul 17, 2014.
We discuss role of analytics in healthcare payer firms, major challenges in leveraging healthcare data, shift to value-based payments, personal motivation towards analytics, career advice and more.
- Interview: Marc Smith, Chief Social Scientist, Connected Action, on Why We Need Open Tools for Social Networks - Jul 14, 2014.
We discuss NodeXL impact stories, upcoming NodeXL features, importance of an open environment, future of social media analytics, advice for novice researchers and more.
- Interview: Amy Gershkoff, Director of Customer Analytics & Insights, eBay on How to Design Custom In-House BI Tools - Jul 11, 2014.
We discuss key principles for designing business intelligence tools, exploring causation based on correlation insights, attributes of future Analytics leaders, interesting Big Data trends, important qualities in data scientists and more.
- Interview: Samaneh Moghaddam, Applied Researcher, eBay on Opinion Mining – Typical Projects and Major Challenges - Jun 27, 2014.
We discuss typical sentiment analysis problems at eBay, underrated challenges, career motivation, important soft skills and more.
- Interview: Lloyd Tabb, Chairman & CTO, Looker on Front-line Analytics and Data Democratization - Jun 9, 2014.
We discuss the capabilities of Looker, data democratization across organization, change in the tools being used by analytics-savvy business managers, front-line analytics, competitive landscape and more.
- Exclusive: Raul Valdes-Perez on OnlyBoth, Scientific Discovery, Advice for Winners - Jun 5, 2014.
Our exclusive interview covers OnlyBoth and Vivisimo startups, Scientific Discovery, legendary Herbert A. Simon, venture capital, Big Data, advice for winners, and more.
- Interview: Tom Kern, Risk Modeling Manager, Paychex on Risk Analytics and Sales Anticipation Model - Jun 2, 2014.
We discuss the role of Risk Analytics at Paychex, strategic importance of Sales Anticipation Model, optimizing business processes by leveraging Big Data, and advice for companies thinking about Big Data as well as aspiring students.
- Interview: Kirk Borne, Data Scientist, GMU on Decision Science as a Service and Data Science curriculum - May 31, 2014.
We discuss Kirk's role at Syntasa, the concept of "Decision Science as a Service", key components of a well-designed Data Science education curriculum, advice for young aspirants and more.
- Interview: Richard Wendell, VP, Data Science, TE Connectivity on the Role of Analytics in Organizations - May 24, 2014.
We discuss organizational structure of data science team, making Analytics an integral component of all projects, future of Big Data and crucial soft-skills for aspiring practitioners.
- Interview: Dale Russell, CTO, Talksum on Building Talksum Router and Real-time Anaytics - May 21, 2014.
We discuss challenges in building Talksum data stream solution, current trends in real-time analytics, advice for Data Science aspirants and more.
- Interview: Gary Shorter, Quintiles on Future of Heathcare and Big Data Skills - May 16, 2014.
We discuss how Big Data is shaping the future of Healthcare industry and advice for career in Analytics.
- Interview: Vasanth Kumar, Principal Data Scientist, Live Nation - May 2, 2014.
We discuss challenges in analyzing bursty data, real-time classification, relevance of statistics and advice for newcomers to Data Science.
- Top stories in March: Machine Learning in 7 Pictures; How Many Data Scientists? - Apr 2, 2014.
Also - The Dos and Donts of Data Mining; Is Data Scientist the right career path for you - Candid advice.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Mar 28-30: SAS vs R vs Python, ecosystem comparison; Practical Data Science with R - Mar 31, 2014.
SAS vs. R vs. Python - Which should you learn?; New Book: Practical Data Science with R ; Is Data Scientist the right career path for you? Candid advice; Must read books for people interested in Analytics.
- Is Data Scientist the right career path for you? Candid advice - Mar 28, 2014.
Candid advice from an industry veteran reveals the true picture behind the much-talked-about Data Scientist "glamour" and helps people have the right expectations for a Data Science career.
- Fractal Analytics Interview Highlights - Mar 27, 2014.
Fractal Analytics CEO on starting the company, competing with the best, managing attrition, attributes he looks for when hiring, 4 different analytics career tracks, strategic bets, and advice for starting data scientists.
- KDnuggets Exclusive: Interview with Anjul Bhambhri, VP of Big Data Products at IBM - Mar 25, 2014.
KDnuggets talks with Anjul Bhambhri, IBM’s Vice President of Big Data Products about Big Data Trends, developing the Big Data capabilities in-house vs. outsourcing, five crucial steps to adopting a success big data strategy and advice for beginners.
- KDnuggets Exclusive: Part 2 of the interview with Quentin Clark, CVP, Microsoft Data Platform Group - Mar 6, 2014.
We discuss Microsoft decision to embrace Hadoop as the standard, collaboration with Hortonworks, and advice to newbies in Data Science.
- 7 Steps for Learning Data Mining and Data Science - Nov 28, 2013.
[http likes 823] How to learn data mining and data science? I outline seven steps and point you to resources for becoming a data scientist.