- Interview: Beena Ammanath, GE on the Industrial Internet for Data-driven Innovation - Mar 23, 2015.
We discuss the role of Analytics at GE, Industrial Internet and how it is different from consumer internet, and the key capabilities of Predix.
- Interview: Brad Klingenberg, StitchFix on Decoding Fashion through Analytics and ML - Mar 21, 2015.
We discuss the challenges in making personal styling recommendations, unexpected insights, interesting trends, motivation, advice, desired qualities in data scientists and more.
- 5 Lessons from a Data Science Chat - Mar 19, 2015.
Data science applications, key challenges, appropriate skills and more – key takeaways from a data science Tweet chat.
- Interview: Kenneth Viciana, Equifax on Data Governance – Red Tape or Catalyst? - Mar 14, 2015.
We discuss recommendations for Data Governance policies, advice, Big Data trends, qualities sought in Data Scientists, and more.
- Interview: Josh Hemann, Activision on Why the Tolerance for Ambiguity is Vital - Mar 12, 2015.
We discuss handling bias in data, other data quality concerns, advice, desired qualities, and more.
- Civis Analytics: VP / Director of Applied Data Science - Mar 10, 2015.
An experienced analytics leader to guide a team of client-facing data scientists, who work with intelligent organizations in healthcare, media, education, and other domains, and build cloud-based tools to do Data Science better.
- OpenDataSciCon – Data Science for All: What Do You Need ? - Mar 10, 2015.
“All you need is knowledge.” Open source is what paves the road to that knowledge and the Open Data Science Conference, Boston, May 30-31, 2015.
- Careers in Data Science and Business Analytics – NYU Seminar, Mar 28 - Mar 4, 2015.
In an upcoming one-day seminar by NYU School of Professional Studies, Kaiser Fung will explain how to shape a career in data science and business analytics. Date: March 28, 2015. Registration: Open.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 16-22: History of Data Science across 5 strands; Most Popular Coding Languages of 2015 - Feb 23, 2015.
History of #DataScience across 5 strands; Most Popular Coding Languages of 2015: #Python 31% ...; #BigData reveals how information travels: 8 clusters in Europe; New Face Detection Algorithm to revolutionize search: finding faces no longer unique to humans.
- Top stories for Feb 15-21: 10 things statistics taught us about big data analysis; History of Data Science in 5 strands - Feb 22, 2015.
My Brief Guide to Big Data and Predictive Analytics for non-experts; 10 things statistics taught us about big data analysis; History of Data Science Infographic in 5 strands; Automatic Statistician and the Profoundly Desired Automation for Data Science.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 18-19: New Face Detection Algorithm to revolutionize search; How to transition from Excel to R - Feb 20, 2015.
Practical #DataScience in #Python #MachineLearning - nice intro; New Face Detection Algorithm to revolutionize search; Well written: How to Transition from Excel to R; Microsoft launches #Azure #MachineLearning Platform for #BigData, adds Python.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 16-17: Most Popular Coding Languages of 2015; History of Data Science across 5 strands - Feb 18, 2015.
Most Popular Coding Languages of 2015: #Python 31%, Java 20%, C++ 9.8%; History of #DataScience across 5 strands: CS, #Data, #Visualization, Math, Stats; IBM Verse new messaging software will use #Watson to declutter your inbox; Doctors store 1,600 digital #hearts for #BigData study.
- History of Data Science Infographic in 5 strands - Feb 17, 2015.
History of Data Science infographic presents key events in Data Science across 5 strands: Computer Science, Data Technology, Visualization, Mathematics/OR, and Statistics.
- Automatic Statistician and the Profoundly Desired Automation for Data Science - Feb 17, 2015.
The Automatic Statistician project by Univ. of Cambridge and MIT is pushing ahead the frontiers of automation for the selection and evaluation of machine learning models. In general, what does automation mean to Data Science?
- Bournemouth University: Professor (Associate) in Data Science and Analytics, Data Science Institute - Feb 16, 2015.
The Faculty of Science and Technology seeks an exceptional candidate for a research intensive position at a Professor or Associate Professor level to further our growth and reputation in Data Science.
- Active Data Mining, Data Science blogs - Feb 16, 2015.
Here are 85 or so active (recently updated) data mining, data science, and machine learning blogs.
- Top stories for Feb 8-14: 10 things statistics taught us about Big Data; Data Science Most Confused Jargon - Feb 15, 2015.
10 things statistics taught us about big data analysis; Data Science's Most Used, Confused, and Abused Jargon; Top 30 people in Big Data and Analytics; Cartoon: Data Scientist 3 wishes for Valentine Day.
- Data Science’s Most Used, Confused, and Abused Jargon - Feb 10, 2015.
As data science has spread through the mainstream, so too has a dense vocabulary of ill-defined jargon. In a split-personality post, we offer several perspectives on many of data science's most confused terms.
- Interview: Rachel Hawley, SAS on Why Data Science Needs Communication Skills - Feb 4, 2015.
We discuss SAS Analytics Center of Excellence, trends, advice, desired skills in data science and more.
- Interview: Anthony Bak, Ayasdi on How to Get Started on Topology - Jan 30, 2015.
We discuss the best resources to learn Topology, career motivation, important qualities sought in data scientists and more.
- U. of Antwerp: Data Science Professor - Jan 27, 2015.
The Faculty of Sciences is seeking tenured academic staff in the area of data science/big data management in the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science. Applications closing date March 22, 2015.
- Innovation Enterprise Data Science and Hadoop Innovation Summits, San Diego, Feb 12-13 - Jan 22, 2015.
Join leading Data Scientists, Big Data and Hadoop professionals in San Diego to learn about the coming changes and challenges. Special KDnuggets discount.
- Metis Data Science Bootcamp Open House, New York City, Feb 3 - Jan 21, 2015.
Meet instructors, students and alumni of Metis Data Science Bootcamp, enjoy pizza and drinks as instructors walk you through a sampling of what students learn in 12 weeks.
- Metis (a division of Kaplan): Data Science Lead - Jan 20, 2015.
An experienced data scientist to head the teaching of our data science bootcamps and to champion our growth in the field of data science education and training.
- Interview: Amit Sheth, Kno.e.sis on Designing Academic Curriculum for Data Science - Jan 16, 2015.
We discuss curriculum development around Data Science, trends in Big Data arena, qualities sought in students and more.
- Predictions: 2015 Analytics and Data Science Hiring Market - Jan 13, 2015.
Thanks to Big Data, analytics have become inescapable. Forget the C-Suite if you’re not a Data Geek, recruiting for startups gets harder, analytics salary bands get a lift, and more 2015 predictions.
- Fundamental methods of Data Science: Classification, Regression And Similarity Matching - Jan 12, 2015.
Data classification, regression, and similarity matching underpin many of the fundamental algorithms in data science to solve business problems like consumer response prediction and product recommendation.
- AI Says Data Scientists Not So Sexy in 2015 - Jan 10, 2015.
In 2015, democratization of data will become the democratization of information, data-hoarding era will be end and artificial intelligence will step into the mainstream.
- Learning Data Science and Predictive Modeling at Your Own Pace – A Free Online Video Series - Jan 8, 2015.
A twenty part video training series on Predictive Modeling, offering the Rapid Insight and the concepts behind the predictive models.
- Bell Labs: Member of Technical Staff in Data Science - Jan 5, 2015.
Solve challenging problems and build analytic products with real-world impact; design and implement efficient and accurate algorithms suitable for large scale data.
- WPI: Teaching Professor or Instructor, Data Science - Jan 5, 2015.
Full-time non-tenure track position for Fall 2015 to strengthen WPI fast-growing interdisciplinary Data Science program.
- Hot or Not: Data Science Trends in 2015 - Dec 24, 2014.
CrowdFlower infographic predicts the hot trends for data science in 2015 and which trends will fade away.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 15-21: Cartoon: Unexpected Machine Learning Recommendations; Data Science at the Command Line - Dec 22, 2014.
KDnuggets Cartoon: Unexpected #MachineLearning Recommendations for holidays; Review: #DataScience at the Command Line - great book; 4 questions that reveal whether you have the hottest job skill of 2014; Why #Amazon Ratings Might Mislead You: Herding Effects.
- 2015 Predictions: What will happen to big data and data science? - Dec 21, 2014.
What’s next in the world of big data? Commonplace terms begin to vanish as businesses put an increased emphasis on the predictive and prescriptive analytics needed to drive value.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 15-16: KDnuggets Cartoon: Unexpected Machine Learning Recommendations - Dec 17, 2014.
KDnuggets Cartoon: Unexpected Machine Learning Recommendations; Review: #DataScience at the Command Line - great book; Most Demanded Data Science and Data Mining Skills; The problem is that many ML researchers are not working on on most impactful areas.
- Where Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science is applied - Dec 9, 2014.
CRM/Consumer analytics, Banking, and Health care are the most popular industries, but also joined by new sectors including Oil / Gas / Energy, Automotive, and HR/workforce analytics.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 3-4: Google funds Automatic Statistician project; Data Science Ontology, visualized - Dec 5, 2014.
Data Science Ontology, visualized; Holiday Gift Ideas for the Data & Statistically Interested; Google funds "Automatic Statistician" project; Nice Tutorial for R learners.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 24-30: How Word Meanings Change; Data wrangling with R: Things I wish I’d been told - Dec 1, 2014.
Linguistic Mapping Reveals How Word Meanings Sometimes Change Overnight; Practical #DataScience Cookbook, helps data practitioner; Facebook #AI team hires Vladimir Vapnik, father of #SVM; Starting data analysis/wrangling with R: Things I wish I'd been told.
- DePaul: Assistant Professor in Data Science - Nov 25, 2014.
Join one of the fastest growing and most highly recognized data science programs in the country - our graduate program in Predictive Analytics was ranked first in 2014.
- U. Oklahoma: Faculty, Data Science and Analytics - Nov 20, 2014.
University of Oklahoma invites applicants for a tenure-track position in the field of data science and analytics. Applications will begin review on December 1st and will remain open until this position is filled.
- Metis, a division of Kaplan: Data Science Lead - Nov 19, 2014.
An experienced data scientist to head the teaching of our data science bootcamps and to champion our growth in the field of data science education and training.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 10-11: R on its way to the top 10; Using #MachineLearning to Detect Abnormalities - Nov 12, 2014.
Statistical language R on its way to the top 10; California rules #DataScience, but there's a very long tail; How to Explain #BigData to Your Grandmother; Using #MachineLearning to Detect Abnormalities in Time Series Data.
- Top KDnuggets tweets last week: P-values, the “gold standards” of statistical validity, are not as reliable - Nov 10, 2014.
P-values, the "gold standards" of statistical validity, are not as reliable; He Tweeted, She Tweeted: A Study on Romantic Breakups; A population density map of France from phone calls; Demystifying #DataScience.
- DATA SCIENCE BOOTCAMP in New York City, Jan – Apr 2015 - Nov 8, 2014.
Learn Data Science in 12 weeks with in-person expert instruction - learn designing, implementing, and communicating the results of a Data Science project, including Data Visualization, modern Big Data tools and Hadoop stack.
- DrivenData: Data Science Competitions for Social Good - Nov 4, 2014.
DrivenData plans to bring cutting-edge practices in data science and crowdsourcing to some of the world's biggest social challenges and the organizations taking them on.
- KDnuggets 14:n27, Ebola Data Science Lessons; Data Science methodology? Spotlight on Academic Research - Oct 22, 2014.
Ebola Analytics and Data Science Lessons; New Poll: Methodology for Analytics, Data Mining Projects? Can Data Science Save Humanity from Mosquitoes? GraphDB - 3 versions; DM Radio with KDnuggets, Predixion on Oct 30.
- Ebola Analytics and Data Science Lessons - Oct 20, 2014.
We analyze latest Ebola data, examine the recent slowdown in growth of cases in Liberia, and analyze its likely causes. Many problems with data lend themselves to good data science lessons.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 17-19: Air traffic analyzed to predict Ebola spread; Cool public data for data science - Oct 20, 2014.
Air traffic data analyzed to predict Ebola spread; Some cool public data sources you can use for your next data science project; Data science can't be point and click ! Finding random correlation is too easy; Bayes Rule in an animated gif.
- Stevens: Tenure-track Asst/Assoc Professor in Business Analytics/Data Science - Oct 17, 2014.
Of particular interest are applicants with backgrounds in data science, statistics, information visualization, machine learning, computer science and related fields. Expected start date Aug 2015.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 10-12: 7 Most Data Rich Companies in the World - Oct 13, 2014.
7 Most Data Rich Companies in the World; R and #DataScience Webinar slides - status, why, code examples; Another list of 200+ #BigData thought leaders to follow on Twitter; Popular #BigData predictive apps and APIs.
- Booking: Product Owner – Data Science - Oct 11, 2014.
Use our data to create products and features improving our customers experience, with a strong focus on driving conversion and customer loyalty.
- WPI: Professors (Open Rank), Data Science - Oct 10, 2014.
Join the strong team of existing data science faculty working on interdisciplinary research related to big data on real-world grand challenge problems with societal impact.
- UBC: Data Science, Canada Research Chair Tier 1 - Oct 10, 2014.
U. of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada, seeks candidates for a Tier 1 Canada Research Chair in Data Science, at a senior tenured associate professor or professor level. Apply by Jan 31, 2015.
- Top stories in September: Data Science is mainly a Human Science; Hiring Data Scientists: What to look for? - Oct 7, 2014.
Data Science is mainly a Human Science; Hiring Data Scientists: What to look for?; Most Viewed Machine Learning Talks at Videolectures; Neural Networks and Deep Learning, free online book (draft).
- Data science shows surveys may assess language more than attitudes - Oct 5, 2014.
Breakthrough research shows that current data science approaches may not just supplant traditional surveys (as seen through the Facebook experiments), but also suggests that the last 70 years of foundations for survey science require re-examination.
- Top stories for Sep 21-27: Data Science is mainly a Human Science; Data Analytics for Business Leaders Explained - Sep 28, 2014.
Neural Networks and Deep Learning, free online book (draft); Data Science is mainly a Human Science; Data Analytics for Business Leaders Explained; Predictive Analytics in Health Care.
- KDnuggets 14:n25, Data Science is mainly a Human Science; edX Learning from Data - Sep 24, 2014.
KDnuggets Analytics, Big Data, Data mining, and Data Science stories: Data Science is Mainly a Human Science; "Learning From Data" Caltech course - free on edX; Neural Networks and Deep Learning, free online book and more.
- U. Chicago Center for Data Science and Public Policy: Data Science for Social Good Postdoc Fellowships - Sep 23, 2014.
Solve problems with high social impact in areas such as education, healthcare, energy, transportation, and public safety in partnership with non-profits and government organizations.
- Data Science is mainly a Human Science - Sep 23, 2014.
Data Science is mainly a Human Science: in latest KDnuggets Poll, 62% of data scientists worked only/mostly on human data. At the same time, most data scientists worked with both human and machine data.
- Monash: Lecturer (Data Science) - Sep 13, 2014.
Come work on research/teaching in the world's most livable city (4 times running)
with the strongest academic machine learning team in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Most Viewed Big Data Talks at Videolectures - Sep 10, 2014.
Learn about topics ranging from applying big data to industrial settings to using machine learning on big data knowledge graphs from these big data lectures on videolectures.net.
- Most Viewed Data Mining Talks at Videolectures - Sep 9, 2014.
Watch the top 25 most viewed popular data mining lectures on VideoLectures.NET to learn about topics ranging general big-data tutorials to monetizing data mining startups.
- CoLaboratory: Doing Data Science Collaboratively Like Google Doc - Sep 3, 2014.
A review of CoLaboratory which enables data scientists to write code like on Google Doc.
- Sep 2014 – Mar 2015 Meetings in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science - Sep 3, 2014.
Coming soon: PAW Gov, ECML/PKDD, BayesiaLab UC, Big Data Innovation Summit, PAW Boston, PAW Healthcare, RecSys, Strata + Hadoop NYC, Analytics 2014, BigData TechCon, Data Analytics Week, Text Analytics Summit West,and many more.
- New Poll: Did you do Data Science for Humans or for Machines? - Sep 1, 2014.
Did you do mainly Data Science for Humans (explainable models for a human decision maker), Data Science for Machines (accuracy-oriented black-box models for automated algorithms), or both? Please vote.
- ACM Data Science Camp, San Jose, Oct 25 - Aug 31, 2014.
ACM Data Mining Camps, held since 2009, are renamed this year to Data Science Camp to be more inclusive of Big Data & Data Science. Propose or organize sessions and attend this great meeting.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 27-28: Worst Venn Diagram ever? KDD-2014: Biggest and Best Data Science Meeting - Aug 29, 2014.
Worst Venn Diagram ever?; New Microsoft Azure SQL Database service tiers with reduced pricing; KDD-2014 - The Biggest, Best, and Booming Data Science Meeting; NYTimes on KDD-2014: Looking to the Future of Data Science.
- KDD-2014 – The Biggest, Best, and Booming Data Science Meeting - Aug 28, 2014.
KDD-2014 was the largest (with over 2300 people) and the best Data Science meeting, highlighting the huge progress of Data Science made with Big Data, and its even more amazing potential.
- Dataiku Data Science Studio - Aug 26, 2014.
Data Science Studio (DSS) from Dataiku is a complete Data Science software tool for developers and analysts,
which significantly shortens the time-consuming load-clean-train-test-deploy cycles of building predictive applications.
A community edition and a free trial available.
- ID Analytics: Director, Data Science - Aug 18, 2014.
The Director of Data Science manages a team of data scientists performing complex modeling and algorithmic tasks around large data sets.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Aug 19 and beyond - Aug 18, 2014.
Data Mining: Failure To Launch, Smart Metering, Hadoop, Data Science at the Command Line, Personalized Healthcare, Modern Regression Analysis Techniques, and more.
- Four main languages for Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science - Aug 18, 2014.
New KDnuggets Poll shows the growing dominance of four main languages for Analytics, Data Mining, and Data Science: R, SAS, Python, and SQL - used by 91% of data scientists - and decline in popularity of other languages, except for Julia and Scala.
- Interview: Pallas Horwitz, Blue Shell Games on Why Data Science is So Critical for Gaming Studios - Aug 14, 2014.
We discuss the role of data science at Blue Shell Games, the importance of "Lean Data", key metrics for online games, cross-product projects and optimizing meeting the data needs across an organization.
- Webcast: Data Science at the Command Line, Aug 20 - Aug 12, 2014.
This webcast will explain how to set up and use the Data Science Toolbox, a free, open-source virtual environment that allows everybody to get started with data science in minutes.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Aug 12 and beyond - Aug 11, 2014.
Wolfram Experts Live, InfiniDB, Data Mining: Failure To Launch, Market Basket and Customer Analysis with Spotfire, Personalized Healthcare, Data Science at the Command Line, and more.
- mapropos: President/CEO, Data Science division - Aug 9, 2014.
Head a new effort focused on providing data analytic services to industry and government, including hiring staff and the integration of them and the company into the existing large bioanalytic/image analysis team.
- Becoming a Data Scientist: MS Program, Bootcamp, or MOOCs? - Aug 6, 2014.
Learn about the different ways to become a data science including a master's degree, bootcamps, or self-learning with MOOCs and their advantages and disadvantages.
- New Poll: What languages you used for analytics / data mining / data science work in 2014? - Aug 6, 2014.
New KDnuggets Poll is asking: What languages you used for analytics / data mining / data science work in 2014? Please vote.
- ASE International Conference on Big Data Science 2014: Day 3 Highlights - Aug 5, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Data Science leaders from UC Davis, UT Dallas, Northrop Grumman Corp and NIST on day 3 of ASE Conference on Big Data Science 2014 held in Stanford University.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Aug 5 and beyond - Aug 4, 2014.
Hadoop and Relational DB, Seductiveness of Big Data, SAS to R, Data Mining: Failure To Launch, Personalized Healthcare, Data Science at the Command Line, and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jul 30-31 - Aug 1, 2014.
What are the differences between Data Science, Data Mining, Machine Learning, etc; Where do the most romantic US singles live?; 7 signs you're too smart for the job? Not a #BigData problem; Guidelines for statistical education.
- Interview: Taylor Phillips, Square on Why Finance Needs Machine Learning and Data Science - Aug 1, 2014.
We discuss the role of data science at Square, common machine learning use cases, transition to real-time architecture, major challenges, expectations from data science, key qualities for data scientists, and more.
- Interview: Thomas Levi, PlentyOfFish on What does Big Data tell us about Romance - Jul 30, 2014.
We discuss interesting research on the state of romance in US, how PlentyOfFish is managing competition, personal journey from String Theory to Data Science, career advice and more.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – July 29 and beyond - Jul 28, 2014.
Applications in R, Data-Driven Business, The Grammar and Graphics of Data Science, Data Mining: Failure To Launch, Hadoop and the Relational Database, and more.
- Data for Good: data-driven projects for social good - Jul 26, 2014.
Data for Good is an exciting new non-profit seeking to highlight the various data science projects and resources that can ultimately contribute to the social good.
- Interview: Amy Gaskins, AVP, MetLife on New Era Hiring at MetLife through Synapse - Jul 23, 2014.
We discuss the motivation behind launch of Synapse, updating the recruitment process to meet today's needs, data science trends, career advice, important soft skills and more.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – July 22 and beyond - Jul 21, 2014.
Data Visualization, Hadoop and Hadoop 2.0, R, Apache Spark, How Can Analytics Improve Business, The Grammar and Graphics of Data Science, Data Mining: Failure To Launch and more.
- Metis Data Science Bootcamp, New York, 12 weeks - Jul 19, 2014.
Learn Data Science in 12 weeks with in-person instruction + ongoing career coaching + job placement support. Apply by Aug 11, 2014.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jul 7-10: IBM #Watson Swear Filter; How Birth Year Influences Political Views - Jul 13, 2014.
Appropriate after #BrazilvsGermany - IBM #Watson gets a Swear Filter; How Birth Year Influences Political Views; Analytics methods that "think" like Humans; Why lists of experts in Statistics, Data Science rarely intersect.
- Cartoon: Facebook data science experiment and Happy Cats - Jul 5, 2014.
New KDnuggets cartoon looks at the Facebook recent data science experiment on emotion manipulation and the importance of happy kittens.
- Exclusive: Dave Marvit, Innovation Strategy Consultant, Fujitsu on Modern Sentiment Analysis using Ubiquitous Continuous Sensing - Jun 30, 2014.
We discuss traditional sentiment analysis vs. modern sentiment analysis, role of data science in Human Centric Intelligent Society, mainstream adoption of bio sensors and opportunities created by Big Data from ubiquitous continuous sensing.
- Top stories for Jun 15-21 - Jun 22, 2014.
Does Deep Learning Have Deep Flaws?; Cartoon: Big Data and World Cup Football; Optimizing the Netflix Experience with Data Science; The Cardinal Sin of Data Mining: Overfitting.
- DePaul School of Computing: Lecturer in Data Science - Jun 17, 2014.
Ideal candidates will have expertise and teaching experience in data science with an emphasis in computational statistics, data mining, data visualization, pattern recognition or machine learning.
- NYU Data Science Program – Things to Know Part 2 - Jun 16, 2014.
NYU Data Science program reviewed from inside, including courses on Machine Learning, Big Data, Deep Learning, top professors, great NYC location, and future plans.
- NYU Data Science Program – Things to Know - Jun 13, 2014.
Inside summary of NYU Data Science program launched last year, what it is, and what makes it special.
- Zipfian Academy 6-week Data Fellowship (Free) - Jun 11, 2014.
Zipfian Academy is offering a free 6-week data science fellowship to help build a robust skill set and connect with hiring partners. The program begins June 30.
- AlgoMost contest: Predicting future company acquisitions - Jun 11, 2014.
Develop an algorithm to predict which companies are most likely to be acquired in the current fiscal year.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jun 6-8: Statistical-learning tutorial w. scikit-learn; Data science vs the hunch - Jun 9, 2014.
A tutorial on statistical learning with with scikit-learn ; Data science vs the hunch: When data contradicts manager gut instinct; Stanford University: Data Analyst ; Data Lakes vs Data Warehouses.
- Data Science Last Mile - Jun 6, 2014.
This post discusses the Data Science "Last Mile", the final work to take the discovered insights and deliver them a highly usable format or integrate into a specific application.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jun 4-5: “Practical Data Science with R” stands out; Top 5 cities for #BigData jobs - Jun 6, 2014.
How does "Practical Data Science with R" book stand out ? Top 5 cities for #BigData jobs: San Francisco, McLean, Boston, St. Louis, and Toronto; Big jump in #BigData applications, code built with Apache Spark ; 76 Startup Failure Post-Mortems.
- Top stories in May: New Poll – Analytics, Data Mining Software; Data Science Cheat Sheets - Jun 5, 2014.
New Poll: Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science Software Used? Guide to Data Science Cheat Sheets; Big Data Landscape, v 3.0, analyzed; Where to Learn Deep Learning.
- Lynn Goldstein, Chief Data Officer, NYU on the Need for Data Governance - Jun 3, 2014.
We discuss the role of Data Governance, establishing Big Data accountability, impact of Data Governance on Data Quality, and assessing the education available for Data Governance.
- Gaming Analytics Innovation Summit: Day 2 Highlights - May 30, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Gaming Analytics experts from Ubisoft, Electronic Arts, Sega on Day 2 of Gaming Analytics Summit 2014.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 23-25: Data Science vs. Statistics: one big difference; A SQL query walks into a bar - May 26, 2014.
Data Science vs. Statistics: one big difference in Data Science focus; TGIF: A SQL query walks into a bar, approaches two girls at two tables ...; Amazing demo - IBM #Watson analyzes topic, presents a speech, can debate opponents; Microsoft #Kinect as Inexpensive #BigData Tool.
- Interview: Richard Wendell, VP, Data Science, TE Connectivity on the Role of Analytics in Organizations - May 24, 2014.
We discuss organizational structure of data science team, making Analytics an integral component of all projects, future of Big Data and crucial soft-skills for aspiring practitioners.
- Zementis – Cool Vendor in Data Science, 2014 - May 22, 2014.
Zementis, named by Gartner a Cool Vendor in Data Science, provides a scalable, standards-based platform to rapidly deploy and execute predictive models.
- Interview: Gary Shorter, Quintiles on Future of Heathcare and Big Data Skills - May 16, 2014.
We discuss how Big Data is shaping the future of Healthcare industry and advice for career in Analytics.
- Interview: Gary Shorter, Director of Data Science, Quintiles on Big Data for Healthcare - May 15, 2014.
We discuss the rising medical costs, how can Big Data help, key features of Quintiles Inforsario and Topological Data Analysis.
- New Book: Analytics in a Big Data World – The Essential Guide to Data Science - May 13, 2014.
For organizations looking to enhance their capabilities via data analytics, this book is the go-to reference for applying Data Science to make the right business decisions.
- Guide to Data Science Cheat Sheets - May 12, 2014.
Selection of the most useful Data Science cheat sheets, covering SQL, Python (including NumPy, SciPy and Pandas), R (including Regression, Time Series, Data Mining), MATLAB, and more.
- Interview: Michael Brodie on Industry Lessons, Knowledge Discovery, and Future Trends - May 6, 2014.
The last part of our exclusive interview focuses on Industry Lessons, Knowledge Discovery, Privacy Issues, Expected Technical Developments in next 5 years and more.
- UC Berkeley Master of Information and Data Science, Online - Apr 17, 2014.
This online degree is for professionals who want to become leaders in the field of data science. Students benefit from UC Berkeley strong ties to Silicon Valley and multidisciplinary approach that teaches the entire data life cycle.
- Beyond the Science of Data Science - Apr 8, 2014.
The difference between what is required being a successful analytics consultant and what is taught in school.
- New Book: Practical Data Science with R - Mar 29, 2014.
This new book will help you learn and apply the R programming language and statistical analysis techniques to carefully explained examples based in marketing, business intelligence, and decision support.
- Is Data Scientist the right career path for you? Candid advice - Mar 28, 2014.
Candid advice from an industry veteran reveals the true picture behind the much-talked-about Data Scientist "glamour" and helps people have the right expectations for a Data Science career.
- KDnuggets Exclusive: Interview with Anjul Bhambhri, VP of Big Data Products at IBM - Mar 25, 2014.
KDnuggets talks with Anjul Bhambhri, IBM’s Vice President of Big Data Products about Big Data Trends, developing the Big Data capabilities in-house vs. outsourcing, five crucial steps to adopting a success big data strategy and advice for beginners.
- Big Data Library on Demand: The Leading Edge of Data Science - Mar 18, 2014.
IE group Big Data Library offers many interesting presentations on demand. This week it is "The Leading Edge of Data Science".
- Syracuse U.: Data Science and HCI Faculty Positions - Mar 14, 2014.
Join renowned iSchool faculty and deepen and extend our strengths in data science and human-computer interaction (HCI), including visualization of and analytic approaches to large and heterogeneous data sets.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science - Mar 11, 2014.
State of BI, Risk Assessment, Data Science Summit, Large-Scale Real-Time Learning, Data Mining: failure to launch, Online fraud detection, and more.
- Cloudera Data Science Challenge - Mar 10, 2014.
Your task is to analyze a large amount of data from Medicare and try to detect abnormal data -- providers, areas, or patients with unusual procedures and/or claims. Challenge starts March 31, 2014.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Mar 5-6: Data Science Backlash begins; Intro to Random Forests® for Beginners – free ebook - Mar 7, 2014.
Backlash begins: Data Science is not a science, and not a good job prospect; Intro to Random Forests for Beginners - free ebook; Must read for data scientists: Q - new Data Language; Book: R for Business Analytics.
- Online Data Science Certificates: Analytics and Programming for Data Science - Mar 1, 2014.
Statistics.com, a leading provider of online education in statistics and analytics announces two new online certificates for Data Science - "Analytics for Data Science" and "Programming for Data Science".
- Alpine Data Science Periodic Table - Feb 19, 2014.
One of the most clever giveaways at the recent Strata Conference in Santa Clara was a Periodic Table of Data Science from Alpine.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Feb 14-17: One Page R: A Survival Guide to Data Science with R; The Myth of the Bell Curve – human performance - Feb 18, 2014.
One Page R: A Survival Guide to Data Science with R; The Myth of the Bell Curve - human performance usually follows Power Law; Pylearn2, an open source Machine Learning library; Anaconda: Free enterprise-ready Python for Big data, Predictive Analytics.
- Best KDnuggets tweets in January: Data Science Venn Diagram v2.0: “unicorns”; Great map of #DataScience skills - Feb 4, 2014.
Data Science Venn Diagram v2.0 - how to find "unicorn" data scientist; Great map of #DataScience skills (Biz, ML, #BigData, Coding, Stats) vs Roles; Dilbert takes on #BigData Analysis and Salaries of Top Performers - hilarious! Learning from Data: Caltech free online course, now with captions in 40+ languages.
- Viewpoint: Statistical Data Science, The Data Analysis Side - Feb 4, 2014.
There is no way a term like ‘Data Science’ be interpreted without including data analysis and statistics. The statistics toolbox is a large irreplaceable part of the lingua franca of science.
- Split on Data Science Skills: Individual vs Team Approach - Jan 21, 2014.
The results of latest KDnuggets poll show an almost equal split between those who favor individual and those who favor the team approach. See the counterintuitive regional differences and interesting comments.
- NIST Data Science Symposium, Mar 4-5 - Jan 16, 2014.
NIST is forming a cross-cutting data science program, focused on system benchmarking and rigorous measurement. Register for NIST Data Science Symposium by Feb 21.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 10-12: Data Science Venn Diagram v2.0; Reference Texts on Data Mining and Machine Learning - Jan 13, 2014.
Data Science Venn Diagram v2.0 - how to find "unicorn" data scientist ; Reference Texts on Data Mining and Machine Learning; Top 10 Job titles that didnt exist 5 yrs ago: 6. Data Scientist; Google can now identify house numbers on Street View, using deep learning
- New Poll: Data Science Skills – Individual vs Team Approach - Jan 7, 2014.
Data Science positions and tasks need a rare combination of Statistics, Hacking, Database, Business, and other skills. New KDnuggets Poll is asking which approach is better for filling Data Science Positions - Individual or Team?