- Improve your processes with statistical models - Jan 7, 2016.
Through real-world case studies, this technical primer will help you: find best practices to interactively explore the patterns in your data, build useful statistical models, and visually interact with these models.
- 20 Questions to Detect Fake Data Scientists - Jan 1, 2016.
Hiring Data Scientists is no easy job, particularly when there are plenty of fake posers. Here is a handy list of questions to help separate the wheat from the chaff.
- Minority Report Visualized – Chicago Police Analyzed - Dec 28, 2015.
Who watches the watchmen? This article examines the recently available Chicago Police misconduct allegation dataset from the Invisible Institute.
Pages: 1 2
- OpenText Data Digest, Dec 18: The Data Awakens - Dec 21, 2015.
As the world enjoys the latest instalment of the Star Wars series, we review interesting visualizations based on the movie series. Strong is the data behind the Force. Enjoy!
- OpenText Data Digest, Dec 11: Holiday Lights - Dec 16, 2015.
Christmas and the New Year are approaching, so this week we’re sharing some data visualizations with connections to holiday celebrations.
- R Style Ninjas: New Lifestyle Site for R Enthusiasts - Dec 11, 2015.
New R themed apparel site with several designs generated from R data visualizations. A portion of each purchase goes toward supporting R development.
- Top New Features in Orange 3 Data Mining Platform - Dec 10, 2015.
The main technical advantage of Orange 3 is its integration with NumPy and SciPy libraries. Other improvements include reading online data, working through queries for SQL and pre-processing.
Pages: 1 2
- OpenText Data Digest Dec 4: Data Is Beautiful - Dec 9, 2015.
This week we look at the 2015 winners of the “Information Is Beautiful” Awards, including Red vs Blue politics, a World of languages, and Working for a living.
- 7 Essential Resources & Tips To Get Started With Data Science - Dec 9, 2015.
This instructional post takes you through connecting the various pieces when studying the data science pipeline. From analysis, to datasets, to MOOCs, to visualizing data, this informative post has some fresh insight.
Pages: 1 2
- KDnuggets™ News 15:n40, Dec 9: 50 useful Machine Learning & Data Science APIs; How Do Neural Nets Learn - Dec 9, 2015.
50 Useful Machine Learning & Prediction APIs; How do Neural Networks Learn?; Free Data Science Curriculum; Spark + Deep Learning: Distributed Deep Neural Network Training with SparkNet.
- Learning from Hurricanes: Big Data Analytics, Risk, & Data Visualization - Dec 8, 2015.
This year, Florida has experienced its 10th consecutive year without a hurricane, which is longest period without a hurricane strike in modern times. Exploring this is worthy of some examination, as it offers us many lessons in Big Data Analytics, Risk, and Data Visualization.
- Make Beautiful Interactive Data Visualizations Easily, Dec 15 Webinar - Dec 7, 2015.
- OpenText Data Digest Nov 27: Data Mapping Music - Dec 4, 2015.
For this week, we present some examples of how to display music visually, which may get you thinking of other creative ways to visualize data and bring patterns to the surface.
- OpenText Data Digest Nov 20: The Last Mile of Big Data - Nov 24, 2015.
For this week, we provide some examples of visualizations that crunch their fair share of Big Data on the back end but present it in a way that meets the Last Mile challenge.
- OpenText Data Digest Nov 13: Making Relevant Data Easy to See - Nov 17, 2015.
For this week, we provide some examples of how complex data can be displayed in an easy-to-understand fashion.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 3-9: 500 Deep Learning Papers, Graphviz and Python; Facebook App can answer questions on content of photos - Nov 10, 2015.
500 #DeepLearning Papers, Graphviz and Python; Skills You Need To Become a $240K+ Unicorn Data Scientist: n1 is Apache #Spark; Cartoon: It all started with the iPhone answering my Gmail; Overview of Python Visualization Tools
- Visual Data Mining with Item Explorer - Nov 10, 2015.
Item explorer is an open source visual data mining tool based on d3.js. It enables the user to interactively explore combinatorial questions such as analyzing frequent item sets.
- KDnuggets™ News 15:n36, Nov 4: Integrating R, Python; Neural Net in 11 lines; Top 20 AI/Machine Learning books - Nov 4, 2015.
Integrating Python and R; A Neural Network in 11 lines; Amazon Top 20 Books in AI, Machine Learning; How Big Data is used in Recommendation Systems to change to change our lives; Data Science of IoT.
- Overview of Python Visualization Tools - Nov 3, 2015.
An overview and comparison of the leading data visualization packages and tools for Python, including Pandas, Seaborn, ggplot, Bokeh, pygal, and Plotly.
Pages: 1 2
- Tutorial: Building a Twitter Sentiment Analysis Process - Nov 3, 2015.
Tutorial on collecting and analyzing tweets using the “Text Analysis by AYLIEN” extension for RapidMiner.
Pages: 1 2 3
- Improve your processes with statistical models - Nov 3, 2015.
Get technical primer with best practices to interactively explore the patterns in your data, build useful statistical models of these patterns, and visually interact with these models.
- 6 crazy things Deep Learning and Topological Data Analysis can do with your data - Nov 2, 2015.
Want to analyze a high dimensional dataset and you are running out of options? Find out how Deep Learning combined with Topological Data Analysis can do exactly that and more.
- KDnuggets™ News 15:n35, Oct 28: Data Science Machine; Programming: Python vs R; KDnuggets Addiction - Oct 28, 2015.
The Data Science Machine, or 'How To Engineer Feature Engineering'; Data Science Programming: Python vs R; Cartoon: KDnuggets Addiction; How to Use Data Visualizations to Win Over Your Audience.
- OpenText Data Digest Oct 23: World Statistics Day - Oct 26, 2015.
This week we look at 3 top entries in the UN competition based around eight Millennium Development Goals to see how well they stack up against the data visualizations you are working on.
- How to Use Data Visualizations to Win Over Your Audience - Oct 22, 2015.
Any credible media services require a scientific insights, generated by the support of any case more than cold, hard, unbiased data. In this post, you will learn how to use data visualizations to win over your audience.
- OpenText Data Digest, Oct 16: Millennial Parenting - Oct 21, 2015.
Time Magazine’s latest cover story on the trends in Millennial parenting is chocked full of data about the way the younger generation—those born after 1985—approaches their childrearing duties. We’re offering some perspective on the issue.
- Trick-or-Treat a Data Scientist - Oct 20, 2015.
How would one infuse Data Science skills in children to optimize candy collection on Halloween? Zeeshan-ul-hassan Usmani (Founder & Chief Data Scientist, PredictifyMe) explains.
Pages: 1 2
- Which Movie Sequels Are Really Better? A Data Science Answer - Oct 19, 2015.
The internet is filled with polls and lists of sequels that are better or worse movie in the series. Yet such rankings are often based on personal judgement and rarely on data and statistics. Here is our solution to analyze and visualize the movie series.
- R vs Python: head to head data analysis - Oct 13, 2015.
The epic battle between R vs Python goes on. Here we are comparing both of them in terms of generic tasks of data scientist’s like reading CSV, finding data summary, PCA, model building, plotting, and many more.
Pages: 1 2 3
- OpenText Data Digest, Oct 9: Baseball Playoffs - Oct 12, 2015.
We love our data the way we love our baseball—lots of visuals and power hitters that crush it over the wall for the walk-off win. Check out which visualizations made to top three bases for this week’s OpenText data visualization.
- OpenText Data Digest Oct 2: Traffic and Public Transit - Oct 6, 2015.
Despite constant congestion, data scientists are always coming up with ways to analyze traffic patterns to ensure you get to your desk by 9 a.m. Whether your transportation is trains or cars, we’ve got you covered, this week.
- INFORMS Courses: Essential Practice Skills, Data Exploration and Visualization, November, Baltimore - Oct 5, 2015.
Two INFORMS courses teach Essential Practice Skills for High-Impact Analytics Projects (Nov 18-19) and Data Exploration & Visualization (Nov 10-11). Both courses are given at Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD.
- OpenText Data Digest Sep 25: US Maps - Oct 2, 2015.
This week’s Data Driven Digest focuses on three maps of the United States that are distinct more because of the behaviors of the people that live in them than the actual lines that separate them.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 22-28: 8 Great Examples of Complex Data Viz; 2015 Data Science Salary Survey - Sep 30, 2015.
8 Great Examples of Complex #DataViz; @OReillyMedia 2015 #DataScience #Salary Survey - use the model to estimate your salary; The Master #Algorithm - new, excellent book by top #MachineLearning researcher Pedro Domingos.
- Opentext Data Driven Digest, Sep 18: Money and Finance - Sep 23, 2015.
Pacific Stock Exchange in San Francisco was created 133 years ago this week to serve businesses that struck rich mining for gold during the California Gold Rush. Nowadays, businesses mine for data hoping to strike it rich, using visualizations like the ones below.
- SentimentBuilder: Visual Analysis of Unstructured Texts - Sep 18, 2015.
Sankey diagrams are mainly used to visualize the flow of data on energy flows, material flow and trade-offs. SentimentBuilder found how to use them with unstructured text in their online NLP tool.
- Opentext Data Driven Digest, Sep 11: Clouds - Sep 15, 2015.
Big Data Analytics is now available on the OpenText Cloud, which got us thinking about actual clouds – the kind up in the sky. Not surprisingly, there are countless great data visualizations related to clouds and weather, so it was tough to choose just three to share
- NSA Patents Analysis and Visualization - Sep 6, 2015.
To understand details and images of nearly 300 patents filed by the National Security Agency, Alice Corona collected data made available by the USPTO, put into the Silk data publishing and data visualization platform.
- OpenText Data Driven Digest, Aug 28: Treemaps - Sep 2, 2015.
Treemaps enable us to visualize the large data set in a concise manner. There are many variations possible with them, here some of the well known tree-maps like Leaves of Green, Repping Fragmentation and All Wet.
- How To Build Compelling Stories From Your Data Sets - Aug 31, 2015.
Are you done with digging, slicing and aggregating those numbers, your job is not over yet. Presenting your findings is an art itself, find out how by means of visualization you can achieve this.
Pages: 1 2
- O’Reilly Learning Paths – Data Science Training – reduced rate until Sep 2 - Aug 30, 2015.
O'Reilly Learning Paths will help you get learn Hadoop, Data Visualization, Data Science with R, Python for Data - until Sep 2 buy them for only $99.
- OpenText Data Driven Digest Aug 21: College Majors, Hacking Glory, Innovation Performance - Aug 25, 2015.
The simple beauty of X-Y coordinates belies the power they hold; indeed, many of the best data visualizations created today rely on, and build upon, on the Cartesian plane concept to show complex data sets. Here are three examples.
- Metis: Data Visualization with D3.js course, New York City, Sep 16 – Oct 28 - Aug 19, 2015.
Designed and taught by Kevin Quealy, Graphics Editor for the New York Times, this course is for anyone who wants to be proficient in the use of D3 and seeks expertise visualizing quantitative information. Enroll today!
- OpenText Data-Driven Digest, Aug 14 - Aug 15, 2015.
In three data visualizations, we dive into what you would see looking west or east across the ocean; the contours and makeup of the seabed; and the width of rivers throughout North America.
- 3D Data Sculptures: a New Way to Visualize Data - Aug 11, 2015.
3D printing can go beyond printing products like iPod cases, or butterfly earrings, and can offer a sustainable way to understand strategic DATA by printing decision support landscapes.
- Lavastorm Webinar, Aug 19: Leveraging Data for Effective Data Visualization - Aug 7, 2015.
Learn why data governance and a data framework are essential to visualization success; how to adopt an agile, self-service approach to data access, analytics and visualization; and tips for optimizing visualization tools through better data prep.
- TheWalnut.io: An Easy Way to Create Algorithm Visualizations - Jul 29, 2015.
Google's DeepDream project has gone viral which allows to visualize the deep learning neural networks. It highlights a need for a generalized algorithm visualization tool, in this post we introduce to you one such effort.
- Data Science Degrees – Analyzed and Visualized - Jul 28, 2015.
We use Silk to create an interactive data site of data science degree programs with visualizations on line. The USA has 181 programs, more than the rest of the world combined. Western Europe follows.
- Analyzing and Visualizing Flows in Rivers and Lakes with MATLAB - Jul 20, 2015.
ADCPs and VMT have increased the pace of studies that rely on flow data. Find out how these toolkits from MathWorks are revolutionizing the analysis and visualisation processes.
Pages: 1 2
- Open Source Enabled Interactive Analytics: An Overview - Jun 26, 2015.
Explaining the aspects of creating an interactive data driven dashboard using open source technologies i.e. MongoDB, D3.Js, DC.JS and Node JS.
- Webcast: Tech expert Phil Simon on exploring data - Jun 17, 2015.
Phil Simon, award-winning author, talks about how data visualization can help improve data quality, promoting the exploratory mindset, telling good stories with data, and more. On demand webcast.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jun 09-15: Which Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science Tools go together? Good Comparison of ML classifiers - Jun 16, 2015.
Which #BigData, #DataMining and #DataScience Tools go together? Good Comparison of ML classifiers: Decision Trees, Regression, SVM, #NeuralNets; In #machinelearning, what is better more #data or better algorithms? Need both.
- 21 Essential Data Visualization Tools - May 28, 2015.
We have collected leading data visualization tools, with a short overview of each tool, its strong and weak points.
Pages: 1 2 3
- Miner3D Data Visualization System Version 8 - May 27, 2015.
The new software features a redesigned user interface, making it a perfect complement for Excel. New graphics visualization engine is now faster and smoother.
- How to reduce Data Hoarding, get Better Visualizations and Decisions - May 21, 2015.
Creating a hodge-podge of pretty pictures of every datapoint is a guaranteed way to destroy the value of a visualization. We examine how to reduce such data hoarding and improve decisions.
Pages: 1 2 3
- Plotly: Online Dashboards That Update Your Data and Graphs - May 13, 2015.
New online visualization option from Plot.ly allows you to have data visualizations and graphs that update dynamically.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 14-20: Modern Methods for Sentiment Analysis; Basics of SQL, RDBMS – must have skills - Apr 21, 2015.
Great overview: Modern Methods for Sentiment Analysis #word2vec; Basics of SQL and RDBMS - must have skills for data science; The 7 Most Unusual Applications of Big Data; Extensive, but a little confusing site: Understanding Data Visualization.
- What do you want to learn? Big Data TechCon How-To Conference, Apr 26-28, Boston - Apr 9, 2015.
Our survey ahead of Big Data Techcon conference in Boston find most interest in learning Predictive analytics, Data visualization, Spark, Deep learning / Machine Learning, Hadoop and other components of Hadoop stack, and Python.
- The Grammar of Data Science: Python vs R - Mar 28, 2015.
In this post, I will elaborate on my experience switching teams by comparing and contrasting R and Python solutions to some simple data exploration exercises.
Pages: 1 2 3
- Interview: Josh Hemann, Activision on Why the Tolerance for Ambiguity is Vital - Mar 12, 2015.
We discuss handling bias in data, other data quality concerns, advice, desired qualities, and more.
- Interview: Josh Hemann, Activision on Taming the Beast of Gaming Big Data - Mar 11, 2015.
We discuss Analytics challenges at Activision, event data from games such as Call of Duty, balancing aesthetics and inference in visualization, problem with stacked charts and more.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Mar 10 and beyond - Mar 9, 2015.
Data Wrangling and the Art of Big Data Discovery, Data Mining: Failure to Launch, The State of Hadoop Adoption, Addressing the Challenges of Data Variety, and more.
- Interview: David Kasik, Boeing on How Visual Analytics is Improving Aviation Safety - Feb 16, 2015.
We discuss data visualization at Boeing, the importance of Visual Analytics, Aviation Safety improvement through Analytics and augmented reality.
- Get practical training at PASS Business Analytics Conference, Santa Clara, April 20-22 - Feb 7, 2015.
Get practical training on Predictive Analytics, R, Data Visualization, Big Data, Excel, Power BI, and more at the PASS Business Analytics Conference, Santa Clara, April 20-22. Get $150 off with KDnuggets discount.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 28-29: Top open source web crawlers for data mining; Listen to Edward Tufte, guru of Data Visualization - Jan 30, 2015.
Useful list: Top 50 open source web #crawlers for data mining; Listen to Edward Tufte, guru of Data #Visualization, on how to see data; Not too sexy: Data Scientist is only n. 9 in Glassdoor 10 best jobs; When not analyzing #BigData, I am enjoying the Big Snow.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 26-27: Sample Machine Learning solutions with R on Azure ML Marketplace - Jan 28, 2015.
Sample #MachineLearning solutions with R on #Azure ML Marketplace; xkcd explains P-Values: from Highly Significant to cr*p; Why you should learn R first for #datascience; Useful: 14 Data #Visualization Tools to Tell Better Stories.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 19-25: Facebook open sources its Deep Learning tools; Intro to Python and IPython for Data Mining - Jan 26, 2015.
Very useful: Intro to #Python and #IPython for #DataMining; Chart Type #CheatSheet: The Guide to Chart Design; Optimizing optimization algorithms; How to Choose between learning #Python or R? You can't go wrong.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 14-15: 10 FB likes predicts personality better than a co-worker; A Deep Dive into Recurrent Neural Nets - Jan 16, 2015.
A Deep Dive into Recurrent Neural Nets #DeepLearning; SOASTA announces #DataScience Workbench for insights from user experience; What's Wrong with this Picture? The Art of Honest Visualizations; Deep Learning can be easily fooled.
- INFORMS Analytics and Data Science Education - Jan 12, 2015.
Upcoming INFORMS continuing education courses offer training in Essential Skills for Analytics Professionals, Data Exploration & Visualization, Modern Predictive Analytics, and Monte Carlo and Discrete-Event Simulation.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 5-6: Great post: Deep Learning in a Nutshell; Big Data visualized in so many ways - Jan 7, 2015.
Great post: #DeepLearning in a Nutshell: what it is, how does it work, and why care; #BigData is visualized in so many ways...; Review of @deanabb book "Applied Predictive Analytics" ; Free Predictive Modeling Education Videos - Learn #DataScience at your own pace.
- Causation vs Correlation: Visualization, Statistics, and Intuition - Jan 4, 2015.
Visualizations of correlation vs. causation and some common pitfalls and insights involving the statistics are explored in this case study involving stock price time series.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in December 2014 - Jan 1, 2015.
TDWI Las Vegas (Feb 22), UIC Big Data Symposium (Mar 17), INFORMS (Apr 12-14), BVA Data Science, Silk visualization and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 22-23: Great list: 20 new data viz tools of 2014; Review of “Learning from Data” MOOC - Dec 24, 2014.
Review of #MOOC Learning from Data (#MachineLearning) - the class that changed everything; #DeepLearning is like Renormalization: deep link between physics, biology, ML; Great list: 20 new #data #viz tools of 2014; "Back to the drawing board" - first appeared in New Yorker cartoon in 1941.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 17-18: Keep this #Python Cheat Sheet handy; Is #BigData The Most Hyped Technology Ever? - Nov 19, 2014.
Keep this #Python Cheat Sheet handy when learning to code; Is #BigData The Most Hyped Technology Ever? No (at least not yet); How to become a data scientist in 8 (not so) easy steps;R and Hadoop make Machine Learning Possible for Everyone.
- A 3D Analytic Framework for Visual Data Discovery - Nov 19, 2014.
A presented 3D Visual Analytic Framework enables Visual Data Discovery, and allows all discovery actions to performed inside 3D Unified Visual Data Representation Space.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Nov 18 and beyond - Nov 17, 2014.
Data Mining: Failure To Launch, Data Visualization, Scores Aren't Enough, Big Bioinformatics without Big Hassles, Starting Small and Scaling Big with Hadoop, YARN, WCAI Oppy: Desktop Software Subscription Analysis, and more.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in October - Nov 3, 2014.
17 new meetings including MLConf, H2O World, Deep Learning Innovation Summit, BigDataWeek; Analytics tools from InfoCaptor, analytixBASE, Wizard, uxColor, and more.
- Big Data & Analytics Innovation Summit, Australia: Day 1 Highlights - Oct 22, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data leaders from GE Capital, Datawatch and MapR Technologies on day 1 of Big Data & Analytics Innovation Summit 2014 in Sydney, Australia.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Oct 14 and beyond - Oct 13, 2014.
Hadoop means Business, Which Half of Your Graphs are Lying, Deep Learning + Apache Spark, Data Mining - Failure to Launch, Linear Regression in Python, and many more.
- Salaries in IT – Scrape, refine, and plot case study - Oct 11, 2014.
Very good case study, showing how to scrape with import.io, refine with OpenRefine, and plot with Plot.ly. Also learn about salaries vs age in Belgium.
- KDnuggets 14:n26, Analyzing Ebola and World Events; Mirador, a free tool for visual exploration - Oct 8, 2014.
Is Ebola spreading exponentially? Mirador, free data exploration tool; GDELT data on World Events; Surveys may assess language more than attitudes; KDnuggets Pass to Big Data TechCon; 17 jobs, and much more.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Oct 7 and beyond - Oct 6, 2014.
Evolution of Classification, Billion Dollar Fraud Detection, Big Data Visualization, Deep Learning on Apache Spark, and more.
- Top stories for Sep 28 – Oct 4: Mirador, a free tool for visual exploration of complex datasets - Oct 5, 2014.
Mirador, a free tool for visual exploration of complex datasets; Data Science is mainly a Human Science; Get Started in Text Analytics; Associations and Text Mining of World Events.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 1-2: R wizard Hadley Wickham “Advanced R” book online - Oct 3, 2014.
R wizard Hadley Wickham "Advanced R" book online; IPython Interactive Computing and Visualization Cookbook; Mirador, a tool for visual exploration of complex datasets; The End of the (Human) Data Scientist Bubble?
- Mirador Open Data Competition - Oct 2, 2014.
This competition wants to get people interested in data-driven hypothesis making by offering a tool that is as intuitive and engaging as possible, while maintaining solid scientific and statistical foundations. Submissions due Oct 28.
- Mirador, a free tool for visual exploration of complex datasets - Oct 1, 2014.
Mirador is an open-source tool for visual exploration of complex datasets, enabling users to discover correlation patterns and derive new hypotheses from the data. Download Windows and Mac OS X versions from Github.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Sep 30 and beyond - Sep 29, 2014.
Not all graph databases are created equal, Evolution of Classification, Governing Big Data, Big Data Visualization, Best Practices for Applying Advanced Analytics in Hadoop, and more.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in August - Sep 1, 2014.
New analytics, data science, data mining top stories page, meetings, KDD-2015, Certificates and Certification option, Data Analytics BS, software for text analytics and visualization and more.
- Data Visualization Summit, Boston, Sep 25-26 - Aug 14, 2014.
Join data visualization experts, visual designers and business executives and learn from 25+ speakers from companies including StubHub, Citi, The Washington Post, USA Today, Boston Globe, Liv Nation, PayPal and more.
- Interesting Social Media Datasets - Aug 13, 2014.
Learn about some of the many interesting social media datasets available to you, some of which are quite new, and the different features and challenges they offer you for your next big data science project.
- Metrics that Matter – The Key to Perfect Dashboards - Aug 9, 2014.
Create the perfect data visualization dashboards by learning what metrics matter most to your users and displaying them prominently within the design of the dashboard.
- Cartoon: Big Data Visualization and 7-D Printer - Aug 3, 2014.
Big Data is hard to visualize, even with 3-D printers. New KDnuggets cartoon goes beyond 3-D and examines a 7-D Printer.
- VizRisk: HHS Visualization Challenge to Change Health - Jul 30, 2014.
VizRisk is the first US government prize competition that seeks to use visualizations of behavioral health data to inform personal and policy decisions.
- Top stories for Jul 20-26 - Jul 27, 2014.
Baby steps in Learning Python; 7 Steps for Learning Data Mining; Spotting Bad Data Visualizations; MLlib: Apache Spark component for machine learning.
- Spotting Bad Data Visualizations - Jul 22, 2014.
Good (or bad) Data visualizations can significantly help (or hurt) your case. Learn more about how poorly people can spot bad data visualizations.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – July 22 and beyond - Jul 21, 2014.
Data Visualization, Hadoop and Hadoop 2.0, R, Apache Spark, How Can Analytics Improve Business, The Grammar and Graphics of Data Science, Data Mining: Failure To Launch and more.
- MicroStrategy Analytics Desktop – visual tool, free download - Jul 18, 2014.
MicroStrategy Analytics Desktop is a fast, easy, and beautiful way to explore data and share your insights. Effortlessly build dashboards with a wide range of interactive visualizations. Free download.
- Data Visualization of Census Data with R - Jun 20, 2014.
This article shows step-by-step how to use R to access US Census Data, visualize it, and plot it on the map.
- Data Lakes vs Data Warehouses - Jun 7, 2014.
Data Warehouses, traditionally popular for business intelligence tasks, are being replaced by less-structured Data Lakes which allow more flexibility.
- Big Data Innovation Summit 2014 London: Highlights - May 31, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data technology practitioners from Sears Holdings, Microsoft, Ticketmaster during Big Data Innovation Summit 2014 in London.
- Data Mining Modern Languages - May 30, 2014.
We examine the trends and implications in modern language enrollment in the United States, and also show an excellent example of using rCharts and ggplot2 for interactive visualization.
- Exclusive Interview: Michael O’Connell, Chief Data Scientist, TIBCO on How to Lead in Big Data - May 19, 2014.
We discuss Big Data vs. Fast Data, Data Visualization trends, Jaspersoft acquisition, factors differentiating future leaders of Big Data and more.
- Cartoon: Data Visualization meets 3-D Printer - May 11, 2014.
New KDnuggets Cartoon looks at what happens when Data Visualization meets 3-D Printer.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 7-8: 30 Simple Tools for Data Visualization; Did Target Really Predict Pregnancy? - May 9, 2014.
30 Simple Tools for Data and Geo-Visualization: iCharts, Fusion, Modest Maps, Raw ...; Did Target Really Predict a Teen's Pregnancy? The Inside Story; Sense, new Data Science startup, builds a Data Science Platform of the Future; Analytics Experts on #BigData Misconceptions.
- Where are your users? Geo-localization with KNIME - Apr 28, 2014.
Learn how KNIME can help you improve user understanding through Geo-localization of IP addresses and dynamic visualization. Access free white paper for more details.
- Graf.ly: Making beautiful, interactive graphs - Feb 23, 2014.
Visualize your spreadsheet data in 30 seconds by building beautiful, interactive graphs using three step process by Graf.ly.
- Opening the Dataset: A Twelve-Step Program for Dataholics - Feb 15, 2014.
Bruce Ratner, a functioning dataholic, writes dataiku verses, and paints swirling equations to relax. He shares his 12 step program that helps him, and others who love to data, to recover.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 29-30: Visual.ly Data Visualization Catalog; 100 numpy exercises, from Novice to Expert Data Scientists - Jan 31, 2014.
Visual.ly Data Visualization Catalog help you choose the right visualization; 100 numpy exercises, from Novice to Expert Data Scientists; R vs Python Duel, Contest 1A - download, process 2GB census data; Online course: More Data Mining with Weka
- Opening the Dataset: Confession of a Dataholic - Jan 16, 2014.
My name is Bruce Ratner, and I am a dataholic. I am also an artist and poet in the world of statistical data. I always await getting my hands on a new dataset to crack open and paint the untapped, unsoiled numbers into analytic scenes and swirling equations.