- Open Source Enabled Interactive Analytics: An Overview - Jun 26, 2015.
Explaining the aspects of creating an interactive data driven dashboard using open source technologies i.e. MongoDB, D3.Js, DC.JS and Node JS.
- Webcast: Tech expert Phil Simon on exploring data - Jun 17, 2015.
Phil Simon, award-winning author, talks about how data visualization can help improve data quality, promoting the exploratory mindset, telling good stories with data, and more. On demand webcast.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jun 09-15: Which Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science Tools go together? Good Comparison of ML classifiers - Jun 16, 2015.
Which #BigData, #DataMining and #DataScience Tools go together? Good Comparison of ML classifiers: Decision Trees, Regression, SVM, #NeuralNets; In #machinelearning, what is better more #data or better algorithms? Need both.
- 21 Essential Data Visualization Tools - May 28, 2015.
We have collected leading data visualization tools, with a short overview of each tool, its strong and weak points.
Pages: 1 2 3
- Miner3D Data Visualization System Version 8 - May 27, 2015.
The new software features a redesigned user interface, making it a perfect complement for Excel. New graphics visualization engine is now faster and smoother.
- How to reduce Data Hoarding, get Better Visualizations and Decisions - May 21, 2015.
Creating a hodge-podge of pretty pictures of every datapoint is a guaranteed way to destroy the value of a visualization. We examine how to reduce such data hoarding and improve decisions.
Pages: 1 2 3
- Plotly: Online Dashboards That Update Your Data and Graphs - May 13, 2015.
New online visualization option from Plot.ly allows you to have data visualizations and graphs that update dynamically.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 14-20: Modern Methods for Sentiment Analysis; Basics of SQL, RDBMS – must have skills - Apr 21, 2015.
Great overview: Modern Methods for Sentiment Analysis #word2vec; Basics of SQL and RDBMS - must have skills for data science; The 7 Most Unusual Applications of Big Data; Extensive, but a little confusing site: Understanding Data Visualization.
- What do you want to learn? Big Data TechCon How-To Conference, Apr 26-28, Boston - Apr 9, 2015.
Our survey ahead of Big Data Techcon conference in Boston find most interest in learning Predictive analytics, Data visualization, Spark, Deep learning / Machine Learning, Hadoop and other components of Hadoop stack, and Python.
- The Grammar of Data Science: Python vs R - Mar 28, 2015.
In this post, I will elaborate on my experience switching teams by comparing and contrasting R and Python solutions to some simple data exploration exercises.
Pages: 1 2 3
- Interview: Josh Hemann, Activision on Why the Tolerance for Ambiguity is Vital - Mar 12, 2015.
We discuss handling bias in data, other data quality concerns, advice, desired qualities, and more.
- Interview: Josh Hemann, Activision on Taming the Beast of Gaming Big Data - Mar 11, 2015.
We discuss Analytics challenges at Activision, event data from games such as Call of Duty, balancing aesthetics and inference in visualization, problem with stacked charts and more.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Mar 10 and beyond - Mar 9, 2015.
Data Wrangling and the Art of Big Data Discovery, Data Mining: Failure to Launch, The State of Hadoop Adoption, Addressing the Challenges of Data Variety, and more.
- Interview: David Kasik, Boeing on How Visual Analytics is Improving Aviation Safety - Feb 16, 2015.
We discuss data visualization at Boeing, the importance of Visual Analytics, Aviation Safety improvement through Analytics and augmented reality.
- Get practical training at PASS Business Analytics Conference, Santa Clara, April 20-22 - Feb 7, 2015.
Get practical training on Predictive Analytics, R, Data Visualization, Big Data, Excel, Power BI, and more at the PASS Business Analytics Conference, Santa Clara, April 20-22. Get $150 off with KDnuggets discount.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 28-29: Top open source web crawlers for data mining; Listen to Edward Tufte, guru of Data Visualization - Jan 30, 2015.
Useful list: Top 50 open source web #crawlers for data mining; Listen to Edward Tufte, guru of Data #Visualization, on how to see data; Not too sexy: Data Scientist is only n. 9 in Glassdoor 10 best jobs; When not analyzing #BigData, I am enjoying the Big Snow.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 26-27: Sample Machine Learning solutions with R on Azure ML Marketplace - Jan 28, 2015.
Sample #MachineLearning solutions with R on #Azure ML Marketplace; xkcd explains P-Values: from Highly Significant to cr*p; Why you should learn R first for #datascience; Useful: 14 Data #Visualization Tools to Tell Better Stories.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 19-25: Facebook open sources its Deep Learning tools; Intro to Python and IPython for Data Mining - Jan 26, 2015.
Very useful: Intro to #Python and #IPython for #DataMining; Chart Type #CheatSheet: The Guide to Chart Design; Optimizing optimization algorithms; How to Choose between learning #Python or R? You can't go wrong.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 14-15: 10 FB likes predicts personality better than a co-worker; A Deep Dive into Recurrent Neural Nets - Jan 16, 2015.
A Deep Dive into Recurrent Neural Nets #DeepLearning; SOASTA announces #DataScience Workbench for insights from user experience; What's Wrong with this Picture? The Art of Honest Visualizations; Deep Learning can be easily fooled.
- INFORMS Analytics and Data Science Education - Jan 12, 2015.
Upcoming INFORMS continuing education courses offer training in Essential Skills for Analytics Professionals, Data Exploration & Visualization, Modern Predictive Analytics, and Monte Carlo and Discrete-Event Simulation.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 5-6: Great post: Deep Learning in a Nutshell; Big Data visualized in so many ways - Jan 7, 2015.
Great post: #DeepLearning in a Nutshell: what it is, how does it work, and why care; #BigData is visualized in so many ways...; Review of @deanabb book "Applied Predictive Analytics" ; Free Predictive Modeling Education Videos - Learn #DataScience at your own pace.
- Causation vs Correlation: Visualization, Statistics, and Intuition - Jan 4, 2015.
Visualizations of correlation vs. causation and some common pitfalls and insights involving the statistics are explored in this case study involving stock price time series.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in December 2014 - Jan 1, 2015.
TDWI Las Vegas (Feb 22), UIC Big Data Symposium (Mar 17), INFORMS (Apr 12-14), BVA Data Science, Silk visualization and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 22-23: Great list: 20 new data viz tools of 2014; Review of “Learning from Data” MOOC - Dec 24, 2014.
Review of #MOOC Learning from Data (#MachineLearning) - the class that changed everything; #DeepLearning is like Renormalization: deep link between physics, biology, ML; Great list: 20 new #data #viz tools of 2014; "Back to the drawing board" - first appeared in New Yorker cartoon in 1941.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 17-18: Keep this #Python Cheat Sheet handy; Is #BigData The Most Hyped Technology Ever? - Nov 19, 2014.
Keep this #Python Cheat Sheet handy when learning to code; Is #BigData The Most Hyped Technology Ever? No (at least not yet); How to become a data scientist in 8 (not so) easy steps;R and Hadoop make Machine Learning Possible for Everyone.
- A 3D Analytic Framework for Visual Data Discovery - Nov 19, 2014.
A presented 3D Visual Analytic Framework enables Visual Data Discovery, and allows all discovery actions to performed inside 3D Unified Visual Data Representation Space.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Nov 18 and beyond - Nov 17, 2014.
Data Mining: Failure To Launch, Data Visualization, Scores Aren't Enough, Big Bioinformatics without Big Hassles, Starting Small and Scaling Big with Hadoop, YARN, WCAI Oppy: Desktop Software Subscription Analysis, and more.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in October - Nov 3, 2014.
17 new meetings including MLConf, H2O World, Deep Learning Innovation Summit, BigDataWeek; Analytics tools from InfoCaptor, analytixBASE, Wizard, uxColor, and more.
- Big Data & Analytics Innovation Summit, Australia: Day 1 Highlights - Oct 22, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data leaders from GE Capital, Datawatch and MapR Technologies on day 1 of Big Data & Analytics Innovation Summit 2014 in Sydney, Australia.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Oct 14 and beyond - Oct 13, 2014.
Hadoop means Business, Which Half of Your Graphs are Lying, Deep Learning + Apache Spark, Data Mining - Failure to Launch, Linear Regression in Python, and many more.
- Salaries in IT – Scrape, refine, and plot case study - Oct 11, 2014.
Very good case study, showing how to scrape with import.io, refine with OpenRefine, and plot with Plot.ly. Also learn about salaries vs age in Belgium.
- KDnuggets 14:n26, Analyzing Ebola and World Events; Mirador, a free tool for visual exploration - Oct 8, 2014.
Is Ebola spreading exponentially? Mirador, free data exploration tool; GDELT data on World Events; Surveys may assess language more than attitudes; KDnuggets Pass to Big Data TechCon; 17 jobs, and much more.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Oct 7 and beyond - Oct 6, 2014.
Evolution of Classification, Billion Dollar Fraud Detection, Big Data Visualization, Deep Learning on Apache Spark, and more.
- Top stories for Sep 28 – Oct 4: Mirador, a free tool for visual exploration of complex datasets - Oct 5, 2014.
Mirador, a free tool for visual exploration of complex datasets; Data Science is mainly a Human Science; Get Started in Text Analytics; Associations and Text Mining of World Events.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Oct 1-2: R wizard Hadley Wickham “Advanced R” book online - Oct 3, 2014.
R wizard Hadley Wickham "Advanced R" book online; IPython Interactive Computing and Visualization Cookbook; Mirador, a tool for visual exploration of complex datasets; The End of the (Human) Data Scientist Bubble?
- Mirador Open Data Competition - Oct 2, 2014.
This competition wants to get people interested in data-driven hypothesis making by offering a tool that is as intuitive and engaging as possible, while maintaining solid scientific and statistical foundations. Submissions due Oct 28.
- Mirador, a free tool for visual exploration of complex datasets - Oct 1, 2014.
Mirador is an open-source tool for visual exploration of complex datasets, enabling users to discover correlation patterns and derive new hypotheses from the data. Download Windows and Mac OS X versions from Github.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Sep 30 and beyond - Sep 29, 2014.
Not all graph databases are created equal, Evolution of Classification, Governing Big Data, Big Data Visualization, Best Practices for Applying Advanced Analytics in Hadoop, and more.
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in August - Sep 1, 2014.
New analytics, data science, data mining top stories page, meetings, KDD-2015, Certificates and Certification option, Data Analytics BS, software for text analytics and visualization and more.
- Data Visualization Summit, Boston, Sep 25-26 - Aug 14, 2014.
Join data visualization experts, visual designers and business executives and learn from 25+ speakers from companies including StubHub, Citi, The Washington Post, USA Today, Boston Globe, Liv Nation, PayPal and more.
- Interesting Social Media Datasets - Aug 13, 2014.
Learn about some of the many interesting social media datasets available to you, some of which are quite new, and the different features and challenges they offer you for your next big data science project.
- Metrics that Matter – The Key to Perfect Dashboards - Aug 9, 2014.
Create the perfect data visualization dashboards by learning what metrics matter most to your users and displaying them prominently within the design of the dashboard.
- Cartoon: Big Data Visualization and 7-D Printer - Aug 3, 2014.
Big Data is hard to visualize, even with 3-D printers. New KDnuggets cartoon goes beyond 3-D and examines a 7-D Printer.
- VizRisk: HHS Visualization Challenge to Change Health - Jul 30, 2014.
VizRisk is the first US government prize competition that seeks to use visualizations of behavioral health data to inform personal and policy decisions.
- Top stories for Jul 20-26 - Jul 27, 2014.
Baby steps in Learning Python; 7 Steps for Learning Data Mining; Spotting Bad Data Visualizations; MLlib: Apache Spark component for machine learning.
- Spotting Bad Data Visualizations - Jul 22, 2014.
Good (or bad) Data visualizations can significantly help (or hurt) your case. Learn more about how poorly people can spot bad data visualizations.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – July 22 and beyond - Jul 21, 2014.
Data Visualization, Hadoop and Hadoop 2.0, R, Apache Spark, How Can Analytics Improve Business, The Grammar and Graphics of Data Science, Data Mining: Failure To Launch and more.
- MicroStrategy Analytics Desktop – visual tool, free download - Jul 18, 2014.
MicroStrategy Analytics Desktop is a fast, easy, and beautiful way to explore data and share your insights. Effortlessly build dashboards with a wide range of interactive visualizations. Free download.
- Data Visualization of Census Data with R - Jun 20, 2014.
This article shows step-by-step how to use R to access US Census Data, visualize it, and plot it on the map.
- Data Lakes vs Data Warehouses - Jun 7, 2014.
Data Warehouses, traditionally popular for business intelligence tasks, are being replaced by less-structured Data Lakes which allow more flexibility.
- Big Data Innovation Summit 2014 London: Highlights - May 31, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data technology practitioners from Sears Holdings, Microsoft, Ticketmaster during Big Data Innovation Summit 2014 in London.
- Data Mining Modern Languages - May 30, 2014.
We examine the trends and implications in modern language enrollment in the United States, and also show an excellent example of using rCharts and ggplot2 for interactive visualization.
- Exclusive Interview: Michael O’Connell, Chief Data Scientist, TIBCO on How to Lead in Big Data - May 19, 2014.
We discuss Big Data vs. Fast Data, Data Visualization trends, Jaspersoft acquisition, factors differentiating future leaders of Big Data and more.
- Cartoon: Data Visualization meets 3-D Printer - May 11, 2014.
New KDnuggets Cartoon looks at what happens when Data Visualization meets 3-D Printer.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 7-8: 30 Simple Tools for Data Visualization; Did Target Really Predict Pregnancy? - May 9, 2014.
30 Simple Tools for Data and Geo-Visualization: iCharts, Fusion, Modest Maps, Raw ...; Did Target Really Predict a Teen's Pregnancy? The Inside Story; Sense, new Data Science startup, builds a Data Science Platform of the Future; Analytics Experts on #BigData Misconceptions.
- Where are your users? Geo-localization with KNIME - Apr 28, 2014.
Learn how KNIME can help you improve user understanding through Geo-localization of IP addresses and dynamic visualization. Access free white paper for more details.
- Graf.ly: Making beautiful, interactive graphs - Feb 23, 2014.
Visualize your spreadsheet data in 30 seconds by building beautiful, interactive graphs using three step process by Graf.ly.
- Opening the Dataset: A Twelve-Step Program for Dataholics - Feb 15, 2014.
Bruce Ratner, a functioning dataholic, writes dataiku verses, and paints swirling equations to relax. He shares his 12 step program that helps him, and others who love to data, to recover.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 29-30: Visual.ly Data Visualization Catalog; 100 numpy exercises, from Novice to Expert Data Scientists - Jan 31, 2014.
Visual.ly Data Visualization Catalog help you choose the right visualization; 100 numpy exercises, from Novice to Expert Data Scientists; R vs Python Duel, Contest 1A - download, process 2GB census data; Online course: More Data Mining with Weka
- Opening the Dataset: Confession of a Dataholic - Jan 16, 2014.
My name is Bruce Ratner, and I am a dataholic. I am also an artist and poet in the world of statistical data. I always await getting my hands on a new dataset to crack open and paint the untapped, unsoiled numbers into analytic scenes and swirling equations.