- Exclusive Interview: Ajay Bhargava, TCS on the Ideal Analytics Curriculum at Graduate-level - Sep 5, 2014.
We discuss the differences between analytics and Big Data, the evolution of expectations from data science, important qualities desired in data scientists, ideal curriculum for Analytics focused programs, advice and more.
- Exclusive Interview: Ajay Bhargava, TCS shares the Big Data Mantra: Harness Data and Harvest Value - Sep 4, 2014.
We discuss how to tame Big Data through harnessing data and harvesting value, the top Big Data priorities in Insurance sector, short-term and long-term needs of Healthcare Analytics, and more.
- Interview: Debora Donato, StumbleUpon on the Secret Sauce of Impressive Content Curation - Aug 28, 2014.
We discuss the role of data science at StumbleUpon, the shift from search to discovery, metrics for user engagement, the art of collaborative filtering, how native ads improve user experience, major trends, advice and more.
- Interview: Arpit Gupta, CEO, Actionable Analytics on Enterprise Challenges in Big Data and Cloud - Aug 24, 2014.
We discuss Actionable Analytics start-up, enterprise challenges in Big Data, relationship with cloud computing, metrics vs. insights, Big Data expectations and more.
- Interview: Vita Markman, LinkedIn on Discovering Customer Insights through Sentiment Mining - Aug 5, 2014.
We discuss examples of discovery through sentiment mining, current trends, innovative applications, important soft skills, and more.
- Interview: Sastry Malladi, StubHub on Designing Big Data Architecture for the Unknown Future - Jul 28, 2014.
We discuss the Big Data architecture at StubHub, important factors in architecture design, hybrid approach of using Big Data along with traditional data warehouses, challenges, importance of meta-data and more.
- Interview: Amy Gaskins, AVP, MetLife on New Era Hiring at MetLife through Synapse - Jul 23, 2014.
We discuss the motivation behind launch of Synapse, updating the recruitment process to meet today's needs, data science trends, career advice, important soft skills and more.
- Interview: Amy Gaskins, AVP, MetLife on Smarter Analytics through Qualitative Research - Jul 22, 2014.
We discuss the relevance of qualitative research for customer intelligence, MetLife Infinity, and the increasing trend of behavior-based customer segmentation.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jul 16-17: An awesome list of Big Data frameworks - Jul 18, 2014.
An awesome GitHub list of #BigData frameworks, resources, and more; 15 interviews with 15 data scientists; 14 definitions of data scientist, from funny to serious; Revised standards for statistical evidence.
- Interview: Piero Ferrante, BCBS on Why Healthcare is Rich in Data but Poor in Information - Jul 17, 2014.
We discuss role of analytics in healthcare payer firms, major challenges in leveraging healthcare data, shift to value-based payments, personal motivation towards analytics, career advice and more.
- Interview: Marc Smith, Chief Social Scientist, Connected Action, on Why We Need Open Tools for Social Networks - Jul 14, 2014.
We discuss NodeXL impact stories, upcoming NodeXL features, importance of an open environment, future of social media analytics, advice for novice researchers and more.
- Interview: Amy Gershkoff, Director of Customer Analytics & Insights, eBay on How to Design Custom In-House BI Tools - Jul 11, 2014.
We discuss key principles for designing business intelligence tools, exploring causation based on correlation insights, attributes of future Analytics leaders, interesting Big Data trends, important qualities in data scientists and more.
- Interview: Dave Marvit, Innovation Strategy Consultant, Fujitsu on Privacy and Sentiment Analysis challenges - Jul 9, 2014.
We discuss the modern sentiment analysis challenges, how to address privacy concerns, Big Data predictions and more.
- Exclusive: Dave Marvit, Innovation Strategy Consultant, Fujitsu on Modern Sentiment Analysis using Ubiquitous Continuous Sensing - Jun 30, 2014.
We discuss traditional sentiment analysis vs. modern sentiment analysis, role of data science in Human Centric Intelligent Society, mainstream adoption of bio sensors and opportunities created by Big Data from ubiquitous continuous sensing.
- Interview: Samaneh Moghaddam, Applied Researcher, eBay on Opinion Mining – Typical Projects and Major Challenges - Jun 27, 2014.
We discuss typical sentiment analysis problems at eBay, underrated challenges, career motivation, important soft skills and more.
- Interview: Conal Sathi, Data Scientist, Slice on Creating Value from Mining Shoppers’ e-Receipts - Jun 16, 2014.
We discuss the relevance of "Purchase Graph", Slice platform, analytical insights from mining all activity around a customer's purchase, experimentation strategy, experience of working as a data scientist and more.
- Interview: Lloyd Tabb, Chairman & CTO, Looker on Front-line Analytics and Data Democratization - Jun 9, 2014.
We discuss the capabilities of Looker, data democratization across organization, change in the tools being used by analytics-savvy business managers, front-line analytics, competitive landscape and more.
- Don Zereski, VP, Local Search & Discovery, HERE (Nokia) on Location Analytics and Architecture Evolution - Jun 8, 2014.
We discuss trends in location analytics, evolution of HERE's analytics architecture, infrastructure challenges, data governance and more.
- Interview: Santhosh Adayikkoth, CEO, BigInfo Labs on Big Data perception and learning Big Data skills - Jun 7, 2014.
We discuss BigInfo Labs' future plans, Big Data perception at C-level in large firms, most effective ways to learn Big Data skills and more.
- Interview: Tom Kern, Risk Modeling Manager, Paychex on Risk Analytics and Sales Anticipation Model - Jun 2, 2014.
We discuss the role of Risk Analytics at Paychex, strategic importance of Sales Anticipation Model, optimizing business processes by leveraging Big Data, and advice for companies thinking about Big Data as well as aspiring students.
- Interview: Kirk Borne, Data Scientist, GMU on Decision Science as a Service and Data Science curriculum - May 31, 2014.
We discuss Kirk's role at Syntasa, the concept of "Decision Science as a Service", key components of a well-designed Data Science education curriculum, advice for young aspirants and more.
- Interview: Kirk Borne, Data Scientist, GMU on Big Data in Astrophysics and Correlation vs. Causality - May 30, 2014.
We discuss how to build the best data models, significance of correlation and causality in Predictive Analytics, and impact of Big Data on Astrophysics.
- Interview: Walter Maguire, Chief Field Technologist on HP Big Data Strategy and HAVEn - May 28, 2014.
We discuss how HP views Big Data, capabilities of HP HAVEn, leveraging Big Data for improving customer experience, Analytics challenges, outsourcing criteria and current trends.
- Saxon Global, fast growing BI, Big Data, Cloud Service Provider - May 24, 2014.
Why India is emerging as a powerhouse of Analytics, Big Data Applications, Privacy, What will replace Big Data, and more.
- Interview: Dale Russell, CTO, Talksum on Building Talksum Router and Real-time Anaytics - May 21, 2014.
We discuss challenges in building Talksum data stream solution, current trends in real-time analytics, advice for Data Science aspirants and more.
- Interview: Dale Russell, CTO, Talksum on Winning the IE Big Data Startup Award - May 20, 2014.
We discuss Talksum data stream router and cross-domain networking with real-time data management using data streams.
- Exclusive Interview: Michael O’Connell, Chief Data Scientist, TIBCO on How to Lead in Big Data - May 19, 2014.
We discuss Big Data vs. Fast Data, Data Visualization trends, Jaspersoft acquisition, factors differentiating future leaders of Big Data and more.
- Interview: Gary Shorter, Quintiles on Future of Heathcare and Big Data Skills - May 16, 2014.
We discuss how Big Data is shaping the future of Healthcare industry and advice for career in Analytics.
- Interview: Gary Shorter, Director of Data Science, Quintiles on Big Data for Healthcare - May 15, 2014.
We discuss the rising medical costs, how can Big Data help, key features of Quintiles Inforsario and Topological Data Analysis.
- Interview: Prateek Jain, Director of Engineering, eHarmony on Fast Search and Sharding - May 14, 2014.
We discuss Big Data architecture, fast multi-attribute searches, database sharding and scaling challenges at eHarmony.
- Interview: George Corugedo, CTO, RedPoint on Big Data Trends and Important Skills - May 13, 2014.
We discuss the key trends in Big Data industry, important skills for Data Science practioners and more.
- Interview: George Corugedo, CTO, RedPoint on YARN and Customer Analytics - May 12, 2014.
We discuss significance of YARN for Hadoop 2.0 platform, unique benefits of RedPoint Convergent Marketing Platform and Master Key Management for Customer Analytics.
- Interview: Arijit Sengupta, CEO, BeyondCore on Advanced Analytics and Big Data - May 9, 2014.
We discuss traditional analytics vs. modern analytics, avoiding over-simplification, human-technology interaction for Big Data, challenges in democratizing analytics and more.
- Interview: Xinghua Lou (Microsoft) on Mining Clinical Notes and Big Data in Healthcare - May 7, 2014.
We discuss data mining of cancer clinical data, LDA topic model, challenges in mining clinical notes, big data in healthcare and more.
- Interview: Michael Brodie on Industry Lessons, Knowledge Discovery, and Future Trends - May 6, 2014.
The last part of our exclusive interview focuses on Industry Lessons, Knowledge Discovery, Privacy Issues, Expected Technical Developments in next 5 years and more.
- KDnuggets Interview: Juan Miguel Lavista, Microsoft Data Science Team - Apr 30, 2014.
We discuss Randomized Controlled Experiments, common errors during A/B testing, Correlation vs. Causality, Big Data Myths and setting up realistic expectations from Big Data and more...
- Exclusive Interview: Michael Brodie, Leading Database Researcher, Industry Leader, Thinker - Apr 21, 2014.
We discuss the most important database research advances, industry developments, role of relational, NoSQL, Graph databases, Computing Reality, and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 11-13: Influential Data Scientists on Twitter; Data Analytics Handbook – free download - Apr 14, 2014.
Influential Data Scientists on Twitter and what they do now; Data Analytics Handbook - Interviews with Data Scientists and CEO, free download; An Introduction to Deep Learning in Java; #BigData Salaries for Data Analysts, Data Scientists, DBAs
- Data Analytics Handbook – Interviews with Data Scientists and Tech Leaders, free download - Apr 12, 2014.
A young team of UC Berkeley students produced a Data Analytics Handbook - free to download, featuring interviews with data scientists and tech leaders from leading companies including LinkedIn, Cloudera, Facebook, Yelp, and Flurry.
- Fractal Analytics Interview Highlights - Mar 27, 2014.
Fractal Analytics CEO on starting the company, competing with the best, managing attrition, attributes he looks for when hiring, 4 different analytics career tracks, strategic bets, and advice for starting data scientists.
- KDnuggets Exclusive: Interview with Anjul Bhambhri, VP of Big Data Products at IBM - Mar 25, 2014.
KDnuggets talks with Anjul Bhambhri, IBM’s Vice President of Big Data Products about Big Data Trends, developing the Big Data capabilities in-house vs. outsourcing, five crucial steps to adopting a success big data strategy and advice for beginners.
- KDnuggets Exclusive: Interview with Geoffrey Moore: Crossing the Chasm and Big Data - Mar 14, 2014.
KDnuggets talks with a noted author Geoffrey Moore about his "Crossing the Chasm" book, his vision for Big Data analytics, when Big Data will cross the chasm, and advice for entrepreneurs.
- KDnuggets Exclusive: Part 2 of the interview with Paco Nathan - Mar 10, 2014.
We discuss about Paco's upcoming book "Just Enough Math", problems with current university curriculum around Math for Data Science and Big Data trends.
- KDnuggets Exclusive: Interview with Paco Nathan, Chief Scientist at Mesosphere - Mar 10, 2014.
KDnuggets talks with Paco Nathan, computer scientist, OSS developer, author, and advisor about Apache Mesos, Cascading, his books and Big Data trends.
- Top stories for Mar 2-8: Do’s and Don’t of Data Mining; Wolfram Breakthtough language - Mar 9, 2014.
The Dos and Donts of Data Mining; Wolfram Breakthrough Knowledge-based Programming Language - what it means for Data Science? Introduction to Random Forests for Beginners - free ebook; Exclusive Interview with Quentin Clark, Microsoft Data Platform Group.
- KDnuggets Exclusive: Interview with Quentin Clark, CVP, Microsoft Data Platform Group - Mar 6, 2014.
KDnuggets talks with Quentin Clark, Corporate Vice President, Microsoft Data Platform Group. In the interview, we discuss Power BI for Office 365, Big Data trends and Microsoft’s strategic decisions.
- KDnuggets Exclusive: Interview with Yann LeCun, Deep Learning Expert, Director of Facebook AI Lab - Feb 20, 2014.
We discuss what enabled Deep Learning to achieve remarkable successes recently, his argument with Vapnik about (deep) neural nets vs kernel (support vector) machines, and what kind of AI can we expect from Facebook.