- Top stories for Jul 13-19 - Jul 20, 2014.
Cartoon: Facebook data science experiment and Happy Cats; GraphLab Create: large-scale machine learning platform for graph, structured, and text data; MicroStrategy Analytics Desktop - visual tool, free download; Interview: Marc Smith on Why We Need Open Tools for Social Networks.
- Poll Results: Largest Dataset Analyzed surprisingly stable - Jul 17, 2014.
The results of KDnuggets annual poll on Largest Dataset Analyzed show surprising stability over the last 3 years, with about 54% of answers in GB range, and confirm the gap between the internet-scale data miners and the rest.
- Top stories in June: Does Deep Learning Have Deep Flaws? Cartoon: Big Data and World Cup - Jul 3, 2014.
Does Deep Learning Have Deep Flaws? Cartoon: Big Data and World Cup Football; KDnuggets 15th Annual Data Mining Software Poll: RapidMiner Continues To Lead; The Cardinal Sin of Data Mining and Data Science: Overfitting.
- KDnuggets 14:n16, Does Deep Learning have deep flaws? New poll: Largest dataset analyzed? - Jun 25, 2014.
KDnuggets analytics, data mining, and data science stories, including Features, Software, Opinions, News, Webcasts, Courses, Meetings and Reports, Jobs, Academic, Tweets, CFP, and Quote.
- New Poll: Largest dataset analyzed / data mined? - Jun 19, 2014.
New KDnuggets Poll is asking: What was the largest dataset you analyzed / data mined? The median answer in 2013 was 40-50 GB. Please vote and we will analyze and publish the trends.
- KDnuggets 14:n15, Analytics Software Poll – Analyzed; Cartoon: Big Data and World Cup - Jun 18, 2014.
Also Data Mining Cardinal Sin, KDnuggets Profile, CAP, and more analytics/data mining features, software, opinions, news, webcasts, courses, jobs, academic positions, publications, tweets, and CFP.
- KDnuggets Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science Software Poll – Analyzed - Jun 17, 2014.
We analyze the results of KDnuggets Software Poll, including correlations between tools, and relationships between commercial, free, and Hadoop/Big Data tools. We identify a potential capability gap. Download anonymized data and analyze it yourself.
- Top stories for Jun 8-14 - Jun 15, 2014.
KDnuggets 15th Annual Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science Software Poll: RapidMiner Continues To Lead; Data Lakes vs Data Warehouses; The First Law of Data Science: Do Umbrellas Cause Rain? Huge Big Data Poster and Reference.
- KDnuggets 14:n14, KDnuggets Analytics/Data Mining Poll Results; First Law of Data Science - Jun 10, 2014.
Also Datafication, US Open Data Plan, Kirk D. Borne, Raul Valdez-Perez and more interesting Interviews and Opinions, Analytics/Data mining Features, Software, Webcasts, Courses, Meetings and Reports, Jobs, Publications, Tweets, and CFP.
- Top stories for Jun 1-7 - Jun 8, 2014.
New Poll: Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science Software Used? OpenNN, An Open Source Library For Neural Networks; Data Lakes vs Data Warehouses; Stanford University: Data Analyst.
- KDnuggets 15th Annual Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science Software Poll: RapidMiner Continues To Lead - Jun 7, 2014.
With over 3,000 data miners taking part in KDnuggets 15th Annual Software Poll, RapidMiner continues to lead. Free software is used much more outside US, and Hadoop usage grows fastest in Asia.
- Top stories in May: New Poll – Analytics, Data Mining Software; Data Science Cheat Sheets - Jun 5, 2014.
New Poll: Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science Software Used? Guide to Data Science Cheat Sheets; Big Data Landscape, v 3.0, analyzed; Where to Learn Deep Learning.
- Top stories for May 25-31 - Jun 1, 2014.
New Poll: Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science Software Used? Where to Learn Deep Learning - Courses, Tutorials, Software; Interview: Martin Hack, CEO, Skytree on Industrializing Machine Learning for Big Data; Data Mining and Analysis: Fundamental Concepts and Algorithms.
- Top stories for May 18-24 - May 25, 2014.
New Poll: Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science Software Used? Stacking the Deck: The Next Wave of Opportunity in Big Data; Michael O'Connell on how to lead in Big Data; Tamr at the New Frontier of Big Data Curation.
- KDnuggets 14:n12, Annual Poll: Software Used? Tamr & Data Curation; Data Science Cheat Sheets - May 21, 2014.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including Features, Software, Opinions and Interviews, News, Webcasts, Courses, Meetings and Reports, Jobs, Publications, Top Tweets, and CFP.
- New Poll: Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science Software Used? - May 20, 2014.
Please vote in our well-known annual KDnuggets Software Poll: What Analytics, Big Data, Data mining, Data Science software you used in the past 12 months for a real project?
- Poll Results: Data Types/Sources Analyzed - May 17, 2014.
Trends in data sources for data mining include: table data dominates, followed by time series and text; audio, JSON grows in popularity, while itemsets decline; 70% access DB engines, but only 20% access NoSQL stores; Hadoop, MongoDB used more for text; Europe is lagging in NoSQL usage.
- New Poll: What data types/sources you analyzed in the past 12 months? - Apr 29, 2014.
New KDnuggets Poll is asking: What data types/sources you analyzed in the past 12 months? Please vote on www.kdnuggets.com .
- Data Scientists Salary Survey: US, Canada, Australia lead - Mar 21, 2014.
Data Scientists Salary Survey shows that industry data scientists are in a sweet spot, especially in US, Canada, and Australia, with average salary $135K. European and Asian data scientists salaries are significantly lower.
- KDnuggets Annual Analytics/Data Science Salary/Income Poll - Mar 4, 2014.
KDnuggets 2013 Analytics/Data Science Salary/Income analysis was a top read story of the year. Please vote - anonymously - in 2014 KDnuggets Analytics & Data Science Salary/Income poll - we promise the results will be interesting!
- Poll Results: Text Analytics Use Shows No Significant Change - Feb 18, 2014.
Surprisingly, latest KDnuggets Poll did not find a significant change in Text Analytics use over the past 2 years. While 66% make some use of text analytics, only 19% use it on the majority of their projects. Text Analytics seems to take off very slowly.
- KDnuggets talks to IBM: Data scientists: Hire an individual or team? - Feb 13, 2014.
KDnuggets recent poll about Data Science - Individual vs Team has caught attention of IBM. Listen to the podcast where I discuss the unexpected findings of this poll and other Data Science topics.
- New Poll: How much did you use Text Analytics? - Feb 4, 2014.
New KDnuggets Poll is asking: How much did you use text analytics / text mining in the past 12 months? Please vote on www.kdnuggets.com .
- Split on Data Science Skills: Individual vs Team Approach - Jan 21, 2014.
The results of latest KDnuggets poll show an almost equal split between those who favor individual and those who favor the team approach. See the counterintuitive regional differences and interesting comments.
- New Poll: Data Science Skills – Individual vs Team Approach - Jan 7, 2014.
Data Science positions and tasks need a rare combination of Statistics, Hacking, Database, Business, and other skills. New KDnuggets Poll is asking which approach is better for filling Data Science Positions - Individual or Team?