From: Bunnell, Steve
Subject: Draper, Utah: Statistician, CS Operations/Risk Analytics at eBay
The Statistician, Risk Analytics will report to the Manager of Risk
Analytics, and be dedicated to the conception, design, implementation
of data models and reports that predict and prevent prohibited
activity on eBay's website, including fraud and other violations of
eBay's user agreement. These predictive models and reports will become
a primary tool used by eBay's Trust & Safety Department
Representatives in preventing violations, and in disciplining
violators (including legal prosecution in some cases). Successful
execution of this role will require that the Statistician be an expert
in database record manipulation (mainly SAS/SQL) and statistical
modeling techniques (logit, decision-tree, neural networks, cluster
analysis, etc. using SAS and SAS Enterprise Miner). The key measure of
success will be the degree to which Trust & Safety Representatives are
able to reduce fraud and other violations of eBay's user agreement as
a result of better and more proactive data and monitoring. In this
role, the Statistician will be required to be an expert in building
predictive, statistically valid models. Additionally the statistician
will work closely with IT and other data/systems providers (internal
and external) to enhance systems, trouble-shoot data issues, etc.
Summary of responsibilities:
- Use statistical techniques to design and code predictive models to detect fraud, etc.
- Iteratively test, refine, and improve the models.
- Generate reporting on performance of models.
- Manage the day-to-day aspects of systems (SAS, data sources, workflow systems, etc.) to ensure that the modeling and production infrastructure is optimized.
- Master's degree in Statistics or other quantitative discipline (PhD a plus).
- 3-5 years' work experience in a relevant field (preferably within the Data-Mining, Quantitative Research, or Risk Management Department of a financial institution).
- Proven ability to build statistical models using SAS (Unix).
- Solid Unix shell programming experience.
- Ability to manage junior SAS modelers/statisticians.
Additionally, the candidate must demonstrate high energy/creativity, a passion for analyzing highly complex data sets, a relentless customer-focus, an entrepreneurial spirit, strong interpersonal and communication skills, a deep practical understanding of quantitative methods, and superb attention to detail.
If interested, send resumes to
173 West Election Rd.
Draper, UT, 84020