- Adobe: Manager – Algorithms / Machine Learning, 30834 - Jul 29, 2014.
Lead the Algorithms and Data Sciences group, help build the next generation of products that will allow digital marketers to maximize revenue and expand their brand presence.
- Join the brightest minds at Analytics 2014 - Jul 29, 2014.
The Analytics 2014 conference hosted by SAS will help you hone your skills, learn new techniques and widen your understanding of this complex and ever-changing field. Special KDnuggets discount.
- IEEE Big Data 2014 – 21 Workshops, Posters – CFP - Jul 29, 2014.
IEEE Big Data 2014 offers 21 workshops on the hottest topics in Big Data - papers due in August. Poster submissions due Sep 27. Attend the conference in Washington, D.C. and learn the latest in Big Data research.
- Northwestern Online MS in Predictive Analytics - Jul 29, 2014.
Prepare for leadership-level career, learn from distinguished Northwestern faculty and industry experts, build statistical and analytic expertise, and get MS degree entirely online.
- KDnuggets Free Pass to Strata Conference + Hadoop World, New York, Oct 15-17, 2014 - Jul 28, 2014.
Strata + Hadoop World NYC is where cutting-edge data science and new business fundamentals intersect-and merge. Win a free KDnuggets 2-day pass or get KDnuggets discount.
- Future of Consumer Intelligence 2014: Day 2 Highlights - Jul 28, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Market Research leaders on day 2 of Future of Consumer Intelligence 2014 in Los Angeles.
- Book: Probabilistic Approaches to Recommendations - Jul 28, 2014.
Learn about the challenges of the recommendation problem and common probabilistic solutions to it, then dive into state of the art techniques in Probabilistic Approaches to Recommendation.
- Interview: Sastry Malladi, StubHub on Designing Big Data Architecture for the Unknown Future - Jul 28, 2014.
We discuss the Big Data architecture at StubHub, important factors in architecture design, hybrid approach of using Big Data along with traditional data warehouses, challenges, importance of meta-data and more.
- Containers: The Enabler of YARN - Jul 28, 2014.
The evolution of a data-center operating system is discussed along with the underlying challenges and approaches being followed. Containers play a big role in enabling the required abstraction and deliver additional benefits.
- PAW: The Predictive Analytics World, Gov, Boston, Health - Jul 28, 2014.
This fall, Predictive Analytics World (PAW) produces three top-rated conferences for analytics professionals, managers, and practitioners who want to learn how to get maximum impact from predictive analytics in their field. KDnuggets discount.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – July 29 and beyond - Jul 28, 2014.
Applications in R, Data-Driven Business, The Grammar and Graphics of Data Science, Data Mining: Failure To Launch, Hadoop and the Relational Database, and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jul 25-27 - Jul 28, 2014.
Does Apple slow down old iPhones when new ones are released? The Social Network of Alexander the Great; Kirk D. Borne - from data mining at NASA to teaching Data Science at GMU; Data for Good: data-driven projects for social good.
- Interview: Kavita Ganesan, FindiLike on Building Decision Support Systems based on User Opinions - Jul 27, 2014.
We discuss the founding story of FindiLike, Opinion-driven Decision Support Systems (ODSS), challenges in analyzing user opinions, future of Sentiment Analysis, favorite books and more.
- Why analysts should master public speaking - Jul 27, 2014.
Learn how to advance your career and increase the adoption of your analysis by conveying your message more clearly using public speaking experience.
- Summer School on Resource-Aware Machine Learning, Dortmund - Jul 27, 2014.
Attend summer school in Dortmund, Germany covering Machine Learning with Constrained Resources including topics like detecting astro particles using charging variations in smartphones. Applications are due by August 30.
- Top stories for Jul 20-26 - Jul 27, 2014.
Baby steps in Learning Python; 7 Steps for Learning Data Mining; Spotting Bad Data Visualizations; MLlib: Apache Spark component for machine learning.
- Data for Good: data-driven projects for social good - Jul 26, 2014.
Data for Good is an exciting new non-profit seeking to highlight the various data science projects and resources that can ultimately contribute to the social good.
- Bosch Research and Technology Center: Data Mining Engineer – Big Data Infrastructure - Jul 25, 2014.
Bringing together disparate technologies to help solve business problems in Purchasing, Predictive Maintenance, Health Informatics, Vehicle Diagnostics, and other domains.
- MIT CDOIQ Symposium: Where is the Big Data Boundary of Effectiveness? - Jul 25, 2014.
My report on Day 1 of MIT CDOIQ symposium, why MIT seniors may be less smart than freshmen, 6 types of digitization of capital, the main role of Chief Data Officer, 7-Eleven Japan, and the Big Data Boundary of Effectiveness.
- Interview: Aparna Pujar, eBay on Evolution of Behavior Analytics for User Engagement - Jul 25, 2014.
We discuss Behavior Analytics vs. Web Analytics, important metrics for user engagement, challenges of behavior insights domain, future of multi-screen analytics, key soft skill and more.
- Big Data & Analytics in Healthcare Summit 2014 Philadelphia: Day 2 Highlights - Jul 25, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Healthcare Analytics leaders from Cigna, National Parkinson Foundation, Quintiles and NYU Langone Medical Center on day 2 of Big Data & Analytics in Healthcare Summit 2014 in Philadelphia.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jul 23-24: 81% of retail firms gather #BigData, only 34% use analytics - Jul 25, 2014.
81% of retail firms gather #BigData, only 34% use analytics to drive pricing optimization; Google Brain project: Google is not really a search company. The Journal of Big Data has published its first articles - Hadoop, Mahout, Data; MLlib; Apache Spark component for machine learning.
- PNNL: Post Doctorate RA – Data Sciences and Analytics - Jul 24, 2014.
Perform research related to social network analysis, human language technologies, machine learning, infectious disease epidemiology, and data collection and analysis.
- Ontotext USA: Director of Solutions Architecture - Jul 24, 2014.
Ontotext provides a complete set of semantic technologies allowing organizations to extract meaning from unstructured data. The Director will lead our efforts to acquire new customers and support existing ones in North America.
- Course: Tools for Discovering Patterns in Data, Sep 8-9 - Jul 24, 2014.
Dr. John Elder describes powerful analytic methods for classification and estimation, explains the leading algorithms, compares their merits, and demonstrates their effectiveness on practical applications.
- Allen Institute: Asst. Investigator – Computational Neuroscience/Machine Learning - Jul 24, 2014.
Our mission is to accelerate the understanding of how the human brain works. Using a big science approach, we generate public resources, drive technological advances, and discover fundamental brain properties.
- Interview: Leo Meyerovich, Graphistry on Browser-based Interactive Big Data Visualization - Jul 24, 2014.
- Big Data & Analytics in Healthcare Summit 2014 Philadelphia: Day 1 Highlights - Jul 24, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Healthcare Analytics leaders from GlaxoSmithKline, Excellus BlueCross BlueShield, Adventist Health and Mayo Clinic on day 1 of Big Data & Analytics in Healthcare Summit 2014 in Philadelphia.
- WordSwarm – Visualizing Word Trends in Periodicals - Jul 24, 2014.
Word clouds provide an intuitive way to visualize word-frequency in corpora and are easy to generate. WordSwarm is a new free tool for animating word clouds that show how buzz-words ebb and flow in chronologically ordered text such as journals, blogs, and even Google n-grams.
- MLlib: Apache Spark component for machine learning - Jul 24, 2014.
MLlib, the machine learning component of Apache Spark, has developed into a tool that supports many common machine learning algorithms and now comes with more mature documentation and a stable API.
- Vendor-Neutral Hands-On Training in Data Mining [Wash-DC, Sep | Las Vegas, Dec] - Jul 24, 2014.
Successful analytics in the big data era does not start with data and software, but with immersive hands-on training and goal-driven strategy. Get this training from The Modeling Agency.
- Webinar: Data Mining: Failure to Launch [July 31] - Jul 24, 2014.
Learn how to get started with predictive modeling and overcome strategic and tactical limitations that cause data mining projects to fall short of their potential. Next webinar is July 31.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jul 21-22 - Jul 23, 2014.
Microsoft: Data Scientist; Haskell Data Analysis Cookbook - A practical and concise guide; Large collection of papers on #Security and Machine Learning; Learn Data Science in 12 wks + career coaching.
- Autodesk: Marketing Data Scientist - Jul 23, 2014.
Designing, developing, and fielding data mining solutions that have direct and measurable impact on Autodesk Marketing effectiveness.
- Allen Institute: Asst. Investigator – Computational Neuroscience/Machine Learning - Jul 23, 2014.
Our mission is to accelerate the understanding of how the human brain works. Using a big science approach, we generate public resources, drive technological advances, and discover fundamental brain properties.
- U. Delaware Certificate in Analytics: Optimizing Big Data - Jul 23, 2014.
UDel Certificate in Analytics: Optimizing Big Data helps you to understand why big data is so important, sharpen your data management skills, and join the rapidly growing analytics field. Sep 11 - Dec 18, 2014 in Wilmington, DE.
- Interview: Amy Gaskins, AVP, MetLife on New Era Hiring at MetLife through Synapse - Jul 23, 2014.
We discuss the motivation behind launch of Synapse, updating the recruitment process to meet today's needs, data science trends, career advice, important soft skills and more.
- Business Intelligence Innovation Summit 2014 Chicago: Day 2 Highlights - Jul 23, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Business Intelligence leaders from Netflix, Hyatt, GE Capital and University of Texas on day 2 of Business Intelligence Innovation Summit 2014 in Chicago.
- Interview: Amy Gaskins, AVP, MetLife on Smarter Analytics through Qualitative Research - Jul 22, 2014.
We discuss the relevance of qualitative research for customer intelligence, MetLife Infinity, and the increasing trend of behavior-based customer segmentation.
- Business Intelligence Innovation Summit 2014 Chicago: Day 1 Highlights - Jul 22, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Business Intelligence leaders from Boeing, Salesforce, Wells Fargo, and Citibank on day 1 of Business Intelligence Innovation Summit 2014 in Chicago.
- DueDil: Front-end Engineer, Analytics - Jul 22, 2014.
Devise and implementing activity tracking, design insights-driven features, implement controlled experiments and help understand user behavior and improve the product.
- Swisscom: Data Scientist - Jul 22, 2014.
Make sure that Swisscom is always a step ahead - use state-of-the-art techniques to provide game-changing insights from huge data sets.
- Affinio: Sr. Software Engineer, Machine Learning and Big Data - Jul 22, 2014.
Join award-winning Affinio machine learning and big data team to design, plan and develop big-data driven prototypes for new and augmented products.
- Spotting Bad Data Visualizations - Jul 22, 2014.
Good (or bad) Data visualizations can significantly help (or hurt) your case. Learn more about how poorly people can spot bad data visualizations.
- Hands-on Data Mining Training, Boston, NYC, Toronto, Detroit, other locations, $35 - Jul 22, 2014.
Get hands-on data mining training on topics like regression, classification, decision trees, and other techniques in this course conducted by Salford Systems.
- NYU Stern Master of Science in Business Analytics - Jul 22, 2014.
The NYU Stern MS in Business Analytics teaches experienced professionals how to understand the role of evidence-based data in decision-making and to leverage data as a valuable strategic asset. Learn more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jul 18-20: Baby steps in Learning Python; 7 Steps for Learning Data Mining - Jul 21, 2014.
Baby steps in learning #Python for data analysis; My 7 Steps for Learning Data Mining and Data Science - now in Techopedia; A good collection of #MachineLearning tools in #Python; Understanding Random Forests: From Theory to Practice - implementation.
- Microsoft: Data Scientist - Jul 21, 2014.
Do exciting Machine Learning in the Cloud! Join a fast paced data science team in the Microsoft Cloud + Enterprise organization building machine learning powered intelligent web services.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – July 22 and beyond - Jul 21, 2014.
Data Visualization, Hadoop and Hadoop 2.0, R, Apache Spark, How Can Analytics Improve Business, The Grammar and Graphics of Data Science, Data Mining: Failure To Launch and more.
- Innocentive Challenge: Novel Approaches for Predicting Life Expectancy - Jul 21, 2014.
Help develop novel methods for life expectancy prediction without using traditional medical records, invasive tests, or examinations in this Innocentive Challenge. Submissions due by August 4th.
- Top stories for Jul 13-19 - Jul 20, 2014.
Cartoon: Facebook data science experiment and Happy Cats; GraphLab Create: large-scale machine learning platform for graph, structured, and text data; MicroStrategy Analytics Desktop - visual tool, free download; Interview: Marc Smith on Why We Need Open Tools for Social Networks.
- Metis Data Science Bootcamp, New York, 12 weeks - Jul 19, 2014.
Learn Data Science in 12 weeks with in-person instruction + ongoing career coaching + job placement support. Apply by Aug 11, 2014.
- Future of Consumer Intelligence 2014: Day 1 Highlights - Jul 19, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Market Research leaders from H(app)athon Project, Socratic Technologies, TNS, PepsiCo on day 1 of Future of Consumer Intelligence 2014 in Los Angeles.
- Interview: Cliff Lyon, Stubhub on Mastering Recommendation & Personalization Analytics Part 2 - Jul 19, 2014.
We discuss current trends, future vision, interesting correlations, privacy concerns, and advice for Data Science practitioners.
- Interview: Cliff Lyon, Stubhub on Mastering the Art of Recommendation and Personalization Analytics - Jul 18, 2014.
We discuss challenges in designing recommendation and personalization systems, how to select the right metrics, and learning regarding presentation of recommendation on different channels.
- U. Antwerpen: PhD Position, Data mining for tax fraud detection - Jul 18, 2014.
Develop new fraud detection techniques for historical data to help combat tax fraud in this PhD position at U. Antwerpen. Apply by August 10th, 2014.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jul 16-17: An awesome list of Big Data frameworks - Jul 18, 2014.
An awesome GitHub list of #BigData frameworks, resources, and more; 15 interviews with 15 data scientists; 14 definitions of data scientist, from funny to serious; Revised standards for statistical evidence.
- MicroStrategy Analytics Desktop – visual tool, free download - Jul 18, 2014.
MicroStrategy Analytics Desktop is a fast, easy, and beautiful way to explore data and share your insights. Effortlessly build dashboards with a wide range of interactive visualizations. Free download.
- Manufacturing Analytics Summit 2014 Chicago: Day 2 Highlights - Jul 17, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Analytics leaders from World Fuel Services, Vigilent Corporation, Caterpillar and SunEdison on day 2 of Manufacturing Analytics Summit 2014 in Chicago.
- Poll Results: Largest Dataset Analyzed surprisingly stable - Jul 17, 2014.
The results of KDnuggets annual poll on Largest Dataset Analyzed show surprising stability over the last 3 years, with about 54% of answers in GB range, and confirm the gap between the internet-scale data miners and the rest.
- Interview: Piero Ferrante, BCBS on Why Healthcare is Rich in Data but Poor in Information - Jul 17, 2014.
We discuss role of analytics in healthcare payer firms, major challenges in leveraging healthcare data, shift to value-based payments, personal motivation towards analytics, career advice and more.
- Dear CIO, what you have is NOT a Data Lake - Jul 17, 2014.
Data Lakes are often the ideal structure of a company's big data, but the reality is that data is often split into data puddles. Xurmo seeks to eliminate this by integrating Data Virtualization into the Data Lake.
- Starcom-Novartis: Measure Manager - Jul 17, 2014.
Responsible for ongoing analysis of business data, syndicated media data, digital data, primary research studies, and client business metrics.
- IEEE ICDM Research Contributions and Outstanding Service 2014 Awards, Nominations due Aug 15 - Jul 17, 2014.
The IEEE ICDM Research Contributions Award recognizes influential research contributions to the field of data mining. The Outstanding Service Award is for major service contributions that have promoted data mining as a field and ICDM as the world premier research conference in data mining.
- Wharton: Strategic Value of Customer Relationships, online course - Jul 17, 2014.
In 8-week online program taught by Wharton marketing professor Peter Fader, learn how to decipher the streams of customer data flowing into your company.
- PredictionIO raised $2.5M for Open Source Machine Learning Server - Jul 17, 2014.
An open source machine learning server, PredictionIO, has raised $2.5M to help build smarter application everywhere. It seems that “smarter” is the new sexy.
- RapidMiner World Boston – August 18-21, Boston, MA, USA - Jul 17, 2014.
Attend RapidMiner World Boston to discuss predictive analytics, big data and data mining, enjoy presentations from industry leaders, and advance your knowledge of RapidMiner and advanced analytics.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jul 14-15: 5 R training programs; Making sense of text analytics - Jul 16, 2014.
Top 10 KDnuggets tweets, July 14-15: 5 R training programs; Making sense of text analytics; Watch: Machine Learning Summer School Pittsburgh 2014; US "Data Scientist" average salary up over 10%, to $112K.
- Apple: Senior Developer and Architect – Maps Services - Jul 16, 2014.
Support and grow backend services that support Apple Maps. Ideal candidate would have experience with system architecture, design, implementation, and testing of individual components but also be comfortable with multiple scripting languages.
- Starcom (SMG Performance Marketing): Analyst, Advanced Analytics - Jul 16, 2014.
Be a major contributor of the design, development and on-going maintenance of all advanced analytics and tool building for clients across all media types, working towards the development of a data-driven analysis approach.
- KDnuggets 14:n18, Cartoon: Facebook experiment and Cats; Data Mining “Nobel Prize” - Jul 16, 2014.
KDnuggets Analytics, Data mining, and Data Science stories, including Features, Software, Opinions, News, Webcasts, Courses, Meetings, Jobs, Tweets, and CFP.
- OnlyBoth MLB Baseball Knowledge Discovery Application - Jul 15, 2014.
Baseball fans and machine learning enthusiasts can now find interesting insights about any player in baseball history using OnlyBoth Baseball - a free web and mobile app.
- Making sense of text analytics - Jul 15, 2014.
Text Analytics and Sentiment Mining Using SAS course teaches you how to organize, manage and mine textual data to extract the best information to improve your business. Atlanta in August and Rockville in October.
- Big Data TechCon, The How-To Conference, Oct 27-29, San Francisco - Jul 15, 2014.
Plan now to attend Big Data TechCon in San Francisco, to learn HOW-TO accommodate the terabytes and petabytes of data, learn the latest big data technologies, mingle and network, and be inspired by keynotes.
- PAW: Predictive Analytics World Healthcare, Oct 6-7, Boston - Jul 15, 2014.
To learn more about healthcare analytics, join us at Predictive Analytics World for Healthcare in Boston, and be sure to use special KDnuggets discount.
- GraphLab Create: large-scale machine learning platform for graph, structured, and text data - Jul 15, 2014.
GraphLab Create 1.0 brings large-scale machine learning capabilities to enterprises, and is the first to handle graph, structured, and text data in one platform.
- Disney | ABC TV Group: Principal Data Scientist - Jul 15, 2014.
Design and manage the execution of data analysis and modeling projects aimed at solving high-impact business problems for Disney/ABC TV group media networks.
- Unity Technologies: Big Data Backend Engineer - Jul 15, 2014.
This position offers the unique opportunity of building a data intelligence platform on top of an existing but untapped dataset of unprecedented size and fidelity.
- Data Analytics Week, Nov 10-13, Las Vegas - Jul 15, 2014.
Join Data Analytics Week in Las Vegas, Nov 10-13, to raise your analytics expertise, participate in valuable networking and idea sharing. Special KDnuggets discount.
- Interview: Marc Smith, Chief Social Scientist, Connected Action, on Why We Need Open Tools for Social Networks - Jul 14, 2014.
We discuss NodeXL impact stories, upcoming NodeXL features, importance of an open environment, future of social media analytics, advice for novice researchers and more.