- Interview: Emmanuel Letouzé, Data-Pop Alliance on Big Data for Development and Future Prospects - Apr 25, 2015.
We discuss the field of Big Data for Development, current projects and future plans for Data-Pop Alliance, public participation opportunities, advice, and more.
- Open drives Boston Open Data Science Conference, May 30-31 - Apr 25, 2015.
Data science is built on transparency, effort, and the exchange of ideas. Join Open Data Science Conference, Boston, May 30-31, 2015.
- XO: Marketing Analyst IV (Data Scientist) - Apr 24, 2015.
Develop game changing analytical, predictive and statistical solutions, develop and deploy models and algorithms to enhance business processes for marketing strategy and operations.
- Data Science Open House Apr 29, Online or In-Person, NYC - Apr 24, 2015.
Data science educator Metis, creators of the Metis Data Science Bootcamp in New York City, are hosting Apr 29 open house, in person in NYC and live online. Attend to meet the instructors, students and alumni.
- Interview: Emmanuel Letouzé, Data-Pop Alliance on Democratizing the Benefits of Big Data - Apr 24, 2015.
We discuss the 3 Cs of Big Data, state of ethics in the field of Big Data, and how to ensure that the benefits of Big Data reach the masses.
- Big Data Bootcamp, Austin: Day 3 Highlights - Apr 24, 2015.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data and Analytics leaders/consultants on day 3 of Big Data Bootcamp in Austin.
- HappyGrumpy – Free Twitter Sentiment Analysis and Data - Apr 24, 2015.
HappyGrumpy has made available interesting data of Twitter sentiment changes and sentiment distribution around the world, by country, and over time.
- Apple: Data Science Engineer - Apr 24, 2015.
Customer-oriented, passionate and driven Data Science Engineer to lead our test automation and release management; be able to design and drive large projects from inception to production implementation and beyond.
- MapR on Open Data Platform: Why we declined - Apr 24, 2015.
Why MapR declined to participate in the Open Data Platform? Our concerns include redundancy with Apache Software Foundation Governance, misdefined “core”, and lack of participation from Hadoop leaders.
- Big Data Bootcamp, Austin: Day 2 Highlights - Apr 23, 2015.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data and Analytics leaders/consultants on day 2 of Big Data Bootcamp in Austin.
- Data Mining: New Comprehensive Textbook by Charu Aggarwal - Apr 23, 2015.
This comprehensive data mining textbook explores the different aspects of data mining, from basics to advanced, and their applications, and may be used for both introductory and advanced data mining courses.
- Interview: Emmanuel Letouzé, Data-Pop Alliance on the Role of Big Data in Economic Development - Apr 23, 2015.
We discuss the emerging Big Data ecosystem, its key players, and the severe consequences of inadequate statistical capabilities across many African nations.
- Boeing: Game Software Engineer - Apr 23, 2015.
Help develop C++, OpenGL, and OpenGL Shader code to provide high-end visualization to new and existing simulation applications to support both commercial and defense programs.
- Boeing: Software Engineer Java Big Data Analysis - Apr 23, 2015.
Develop code that helps to process, visualize, and analyze Big Data, including processing raw files, data standardization, integration, writing clean data to a database.
- Boeing: Advanced Information Technologist Data Architect - Apr 23, 2015.
Help design and develop Big Data Databases, create Data Models, define and develop ETL procedures, and manage the overall ETL architecture to support commercial and defense programs.
- Top /r/MachineLearning Posts, Apr 12-18: Andrew Ng AMA, Autoencoders, and Deep Learning Textbooks - Apr 23, 2015.
Andrew Ng's AMA, a probabilistic view of Autoencoders, open source sentiment analysis, deep learning textbooks, and Airbnb's host matching are all discussed this week on /r/MachineLearning.
- Salford Quickstart Data Mining Training in Washington, DC, May 15 - Apr 23, 2015.
Get step-by-step instruction for the most popular data mining techniques, be able to start your own data mining projects, apply your new data mining knowledge to create immediate value.
- Data Lakes for Big Data, Free MOOC from EMC - Apr 23, 2015.
What can Big Data and Data Lakes do for you? Find out in our FREE Data Lakes for Big Data MOOC.
- SEIU 775: Data Scientist (Research and Analytics) - Apr 22, 2015.
Develop and build an ambitious portfolio of predictive modeling projects including learning outcomes, matching algorithms to connect home care aides with their consumers, and personalizing care plans for individual long-term care consumers.
- Big Data Bootcamp, Austin: Day 1 Highlights - Apr 22, 2015.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data and Analytics leaders/consultants on day 1 of Big Data Bootcamp 2015 in Austin.
- Interview: Emmanuel Letouzé, Data-Pop Alliance on Big Data and Human Rights – A Complex Affair - Apr 22, 2015.
We discuss the founding story of Data-Pop Alliance, the applications and implications of Big Data on Human Rights and the need for penetration of Data Literacy.
- Deep Learning to Fight Crime - Apr 22, 2015.
We look at how using Deep Learning, Spark, and H2O Machine Learning platform can be used to analyze and predict crime in San Francisco and Chicago.
- KDnuggets™ News 15:n12, Apr 22: Predictive Analytics Future? Top LinkedIn Groups; Preventing Overfitting - Apr 22, 2015.
New Poll: Future of Predictive Analytics? Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining - "Big Bang" to Now; Preventing Overfitting in Neural Networks; Cloud Machine Learning Wars: Amazon vs IBM Watson vs Microsoft Azure.
- UC Analytics Summit 2015, Cincinnati, May 29 - Apr 21, 2015.
UC Summit will feature two analytics leaders: John Elder and Stephen Few, 4 afternoon tracks focusing on descriptive / prescriptive / predictive analytics, building your analytics team, and more.
- KDnuggets Poll: Future of Predictive Analytics: Human or Machine? - Apr 21, 2015.
The robots are taking over many jobs - will they take yours and mine? New KDnuggets Poll is asking if and when automation will reach the level of human data scientists. Please vote.
- Map of the Complexity Sciences – from von Neumann & Kolmogorov to Hofstadter and Piatetsky-Shapiro (?) - Apr 21, 2015.
A map of the Complexity Sciences traces its intellectual heritage from Isaac Newton and Henri Poincare to John von Neumann, Andrei Kolmogorov, and Duncan Watts, and includes an unexpectedly familiar name.
- Interview: Michael Li, Data Incubator on Bridging the Data Science Skills Gap between Academia and Industry - Apr 21, 2015.
We discuss the response from hiring companies, recommendations for aspirants, retaining data science talent, advice, and more.
- Top 10 R Packages to be a Kaggle Champion - Apr 21, 2015.
Kaggle top ranker Xavier Conort shares insights on the “10 R Packages to Win Kaggle Competitions”.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 14-20: Modern Methods for Sentiment Analysis; Basics of SQL, RDBMS – must have skills - Apr 21, 2015.
Great overview: Modern Methods for Sentiment Analysis #word2vec; Basics of SQL and RDBMS - must have skills for data science; The 7 Most Unusual Applications of Big Data; Extensive, but a little confusing site: Understanding Data Visualization.
- Salford Webinar: Maximizing ROI with State-of-the-art Data Science Techniques, Apr 28 - Apr 21, 2015.
ROI is a key measure for many business decisions. We will show how using state-of-the-art data science techniques, like TreeNet gradient boosting, we can optimize product promotion options and maximize revenue and wider gain.
- The Imminent Future of Predictive Modeling - Apr 21, 2015.
Predictive modeling tools and services are undergoing an inevitable step-change which will free data scientists to focus on applications and insight, and result in more powerful and robust models than ever before. Amongst the key enabling technologies are new hugely scalable cross-validation frameworks, and meta-learning.
- Algorithmia Tested: Human vs Automated Tag Generation - Apr 21, 2015.
Algorithmia, the marketplace for algorithms, can be a platform for hosting APIs to do a plethora of text analytics and information retrieval tasks. Automatic post tagging is done in this case study to demonstrate the effectiveness and ease-of-use of the platform.
- Penn State Online Business Analytics Certificate - Apr 21, 2015.
Penn State World Campus 9-credit online Graduate Certificate in Business Analytics: teaches you Business Strategies, Marketing Analytics, and Prescriptive Analytics. Applications due June 16.
- Macys: VP, Advanced Analytics - Apr 20, 2015.
Responsible for informing business and customer strategy, enabling and optimizing dynamic marketing and site capabilities, and for driving key customer, sales and efficiency KPIs.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Apr 21 and beyond - Apr 20, 2015.
Solving Big Data Challenges, Impact of User-Generated Reviews, Implementing a Better Search Experience, Maximizing ROI using Data Science, Identifying Customers Across Platforms, The Fast Data Challenge with Michael Stonebraker, and more.
- Interview: Michael Li, Data Incubator on Data-driven Hiring for Data Scientists - Apr 20, 2015.
We discuss the launch of the Data Incubator, its business model, why we need data-driven hiring, selection process for the incubator program and alumni feedback.
- Webinar: Identifying Users Across Platforms with a Universal ID, Apr 28, by Looker + Segment - Apr 20, 2015.
Any serious customer analysis requires that each customer is counted once and only once - a difficult problem, especially with customer touchpoints across devices. This webinar shows how using a universal id helps solve this problem.
- Linkurious Enterprise democratizes graph visualization - Apr 20, 2015.
Linkurious announces the launch of Linkurious Enterprise, the first data visualization platform for graph databases.
- smartcon: Big Data, Big Ideas conference with world-renowned experts, Istanbul, 26-27 May - Apr 20, 2015.
Big data, and its wide range of innovative business applications will be discussed in smartcon 2015 in Istanbul, May 26-27, led by world-renowned experts including Alex Pentland, Usama Fayyad, Amr Awadallah, and Andreas Weigend.
- Algorithmia: Building a web site explorer in 5 easy steps - Apr 20, 2015.
We show how to use Algorithmia for quickly building a functional web site explorer in 5 steps: GetLinks, PageRank, Url2text, Summarizer and AutoTag.
- PAW San Francisco 5 Min Recap – Predictive Analytics World - Apr 20, 2015.
PAW San Francisco: 550+ Data Professionals, 85+ conference sessions, 4 conferences, Dean Abbott on 3-legged stool of good data, domain expertise, and advanced analytics, and more.
- Top stories for Apr 12-18: Awesome Public Datasets on GitHub; Cloud Machine Learning Wars: Amazon vs IBM Watson vs Microsoft Azure - Apr 19, 2015.
Awesome Public Datasets on GitHub; Preventing Overfitting in Neural Networks; Cloud Machine Learning Wars: Amazon vs IBM Watson vs Microsoft Azure; The Grammar of Data Science: Python vs R.
- Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science – from “Big Bang” to Now - Apr 19, 2015.
We examine top LinkedIn groups in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science from the Big Bang era of group creation to present, and identify the largest groups, the fastest growing groups, and 2 main clusters.
- Cartoon: A solution for Data Scientists allergies caused by Big Data - Apr 17, 2015.
With more and more allergies and big trend towards gluten-free everything, new KDnuggets cartoon envisions a possible solution for Data Scientists allergies.
- Interview: Ksenija Draskovic, Verizon on Conquering Fear and Cherishing Creativity for Success in Data Science - Apr 17, 2015.
We discuss career advice, motivation, key qualities sought in Data Science practitioners, and more.
- Ventana Predictive Analytics Research, take part and get exclusive report - Apr 17, 2015.
Our partner Ventana Research is conducting research into the next generation of predictive analytics. Tell us about your analytics experience and methods and get Amazon certificate and also free report with findings and best practices.
- Data Science 101: Preventing Overfitting in Neural Networks - Apr 17, 2015.
Overfitting is a major problem for Predictive Analytics and especially for Neural Networks. Here is an overview of key methods to avoid overfitting, including regularization (L2 and L1), Max norm constraints and Dropout.
- Interview: Ksenija Draskovic, Verizon on How to Not Get Lost in the Big Data Wilderness - Apr 16, 2015.
We discuss recommendations for data-driven decision making, challenges and benefits of using unstructured data, managing expectations and key trends.
- Cloud Machine Learning Wars: Amazon vs IBM Watson vs Microsoft Azure - Apr 16, 2015.
Amazon recently announced Amazon Machine Learning, a cloud machine learning solution for Amazon Web Services. Able to pull data effortlessly from RDS, S3 and Redshift, the product could pose a significant threat to Microsoft Azure ML and IBM Watson Analytics.
- Math of Ideas: A Word is Worth a Thousand Vectors - Apr 16, 2015.
Word vectors give us a simple and flexible platform for understanding text, there are a few diverse examples that should help build your confidence in developing and deploying NLP systems and what problems they can solve.
- The State of the Text Analytics Industry – 2015 White Paper - Apr 16, 2015.
This free whitepaper gives the perspectives of industry experts from leading firms on the culture, benefits, challenges, data and technology currently impacting the text analytics market today.
- Domo: From Big Data to Big Decisions Infographic and BI Guide - Apr 15, 2015.
A new business intelligence guide by DOMO called From Big Data To Better Decisions details the growing importance of collecting, understanding, and applying data to make better decisions.
- Interview: Ksenija Draskovic, Verizon on Dissecting the Anatomy of Predictive Analytics Projects - Apr 15, 2015.
We discuss Predictive Analytics use cases at Verizon Wireless, advantages of a unified data view, model selection and common causes of failure.
- Booking: Data Scientist – Machine Learning - Apr 15, 2015.
Work side by side with Developers, Designers and Product Owners to translate terabytes of data into unforgettable holidays for millions of people around the globe. Generous worldwide relocation package.
- Booking: Data Scientist – General - Apr 15, 2015.
You will be working with stakeholders throughout the company to generate understanding, strategy and suggest actions based on data. Open to worldwide candidates - a generous relocation package available.
- Baby Boom: Udemy Excel Tutorial on Analyzing Large Data Sets - Apr 15, 2015.
This tutorial not only shows how to use Excel Pivot Tables and Graphs, but teaches the mindset needed in exploratory data analysis - look beneath the surface, consider the non-obvious interpretations, and question everything (including the data).
- Webinar: Implementing a Better Search Experience, April 28 - Apr 15, 2015.
Learn how to make SharePoint more than a place where you put documents and start transforming your collected knowledge into your *collective* knowledge.
- KDnuggets™ News 15:n11, Apr 15: Big Data Predictive Analytics Gainers & Losers; Awesome Public Datasets - Apr 15, 2015.
Awesome Public Datasets on GitHub; Gold Mine or Blind Alley? Functional Programming for Machine Learning; Inside Deep Learning - Convolutional networks; KDnuggets Free Pass to Strata Hadoop World London.
- Top /r/MachineLearning Posts, Apr 5-11: Amazon Machine Learning, Numerical Optimization, and Conditional Random Fields - Apr 14, 2015.
Amazon Machine Learning as a Service, Numerical Optimization, Extracting data from NYTimes recipes, Intro to Machine Learning with sci-kit, and more.
- Interview: Michael Lurye, Time Warner Cable on Key Lessons from Shifting to Hadoop - Apr 14, 2015.
We discuss the key lessons from shifting to Hadoop, data management in today’s world, future of Data Science, advice and more.
- Provalis Research WordStat for Stata combines Numerical, Text Analysis - Apr 14, 2015.
This new collaboration couples the cutting-edge numerical analysis of Stata with the unique text analytics functionality of Provalis Research.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 6-13: Languages have more “happy” words, esp. Spanish; Popular similarity measures in Python - Apr 14, 2015.
Languages have more "happy" words than unhappy; 5 most popular #similarity measures implementation in Python; Brilliant! Dilbert on Resume embellishing: if engineer, fire him; if marketer ...; Top programming languages change rapidly: SQL, C#, C++ down, Python, Node.js up.
- TDWI Chicago Special Offer – Respond by Apr 17 - Apr 14, 2015.
A special invitation and discount for you and your team to attend TDWI Chicago, May 3-8. Join leading industry experts, analysts, practitioners, and solution providers who deliver a world-class education program.
- Interview: Michael Lurye, Time Warner Cable on Big Data and the Insatiable Demand for BI - Apr 13, 2015.
We discuss EDM at Time Warner Cable, data sources, complementing legacy data warehouses with Big Data solutions, vendor selection and build vs. buy decision.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Apr 14 and beyond - Apr 13, 2015.
Women in Data, Business Value from Big Data Quickly, Impact of User-Generated Reviews on Purchase Behavior, Maximizing ROI using Data Science, Apache Ignite, and much more.
- UMass Amherst Big Data Report - Apr 13, 2015.
New report from UMass Amherst covers the strength of Massachusetts and UMass 5 campuses in Big Data and Data Science, and projects 120K Big Data related jobs in Mass by 2018.
- KDnuggets Free Pass to Strata Hadoop World London, 5-7 May, 2015 - Apr 13, 2015.
Strata + Hadoop World has been called "mind-blowing", "an amazing event", "the most interesting and informative conference". Win free registration via KDnuggets.
- NYC Data Science Academy Bootcamps, Classes on R, Python, and Machine Learning - Apr 13, 2015.
NYC Data Science Academy upcoming schedule includes 7 bootcamp events and 4 classes on Data Science, R, Python, and Machine Learning. Register now.
- CourseBuffet: Organizing MOOC Courses on Big Data, Data Science, Statistics - Apr 12, 2015.
CourseBuffet organizes MOOCs in a course catalog format and includes over 100 courses on Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science, and Statistics.
- Top stories for Apr 5-11: 10 things statistics taught us about big data analysis; Awesome Public Datasets on GitHub - Apr 12, 2015.
10 things statistics taught us about big data analysis; The Grammar of Data Science: Python vs R; Predictive Analytics Innovation Summit (San Diego) Highlights; Awesome Public Datasets on GitHub.
- Wikibon Big Data Vendor Revenue and Market Forecast, 2020 - Apr 11, 2015.
Wikibon finds that Big Data market is maturing, with growth rate slowing from 60% in 2013 to 40% in 2014. Wikibon expects the Big Data market to top $61 billion in 2020.
- NREL: Senior Scientist Computational Statistics - Apr 10, 2015.
Work with NREL scientists by introducing modern statistical methodologies in the research and analysis of large-scale temporal datasets, laboratory data, mathematical models, and simulations related to renewable energy and energy efficiency.
- Join us for Predictive Analytics Events in Chicago June 2015 - Apr 10, 2015.
The leading, world-renowned events in predictive analytics are coming to Chicago this June. Build your skillset and knowledge, learn from experts, great networking opportunities. Early bird rates until Apr 24.
- Interview: Xia Wang, AstraZeneca on Big Data and the Promise of Effective Healthcare - Apr 10, 2015.
We discuss challenges in analyzing text data, Big Data impact on translational bioinformatics, advice, desired skills in data scientists, and more.
- Top /r/MachineLearning Posts, Mar 29-Apr 4: Andrew Ng AMA, Deep Learning for NLP, and OpenCL Convnets - Apr 10, 2015.
Andrew Ng's upcoming AMA, scikit-learn updates, Richard Socher's Deep Learning NLP videos, Criteo's huge new dataset, and convolutional neural networks on OpenCL are the top topics discussed this week on /r/MachineLearning.
- March 2015 Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining Acquisitions and Startups Activity - Apr 9, 2015.
March 2015 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: Apple buys Acunu, Algorithmia Launches, Dataminr raises $130M, PatentVector, Looker, and more.
- Algorithmia – How Marketplaces are Fostering Innovation? - Apr 9, 2015.
We have a marketplace for almost everything – mobile apps, cabs, hotels, and what not. But, not for algorithms. Algorithmia takes up that challenge.
- Interview: Xia Wang, AstraZeneca on Unraveling Patient Treatment Journey by NLP on Clinical Notes - Apr 9, 2015.
We discuss Analytics at AstraZeneca, prominent use cases, how NLP helped understanding patient treatment journey in diabetes, data sources, insights, and more.
- Inside Deep Learning: Computer Vision With Convolutional Neural Networks - Apr 9, 2015.
Deep Learning-powered image recognition is now performing better than human vision on many tasks. We examine how human and computer vision extracts features from raw pixels, and explain how deep convolutional neural networks work so well.
- What do you want to learn? Big Data TechCon How-To Conference, Apr 26-28, Boston - Apr 9, 2015.
Our survey ahead of Big Data Techcon conference in Boston find most interest in learning Predictive analytics, Data visualization, Spark, Deep learning / Machine Learning, Hadoop and other components of Hadoop stack, and Python.