- Big Data Innovation Summit 2014: Highlights of Keynote Speeches on Day 2 - Apr 23, 2014.
Highlights from keynote speeches by big data experts from Facebook, RedPoint Global, Quintiles, Samsung, GMU, PayPal, and others on Day 2 of Big Data Innovation Summit 2014 in Santa Clara.
- Big Data Innovation Summit 2014: Highlights of Keynote Speeches on Day 1 - Apr 23, 2014.
Highlights from keynote speeches by big data technology leaders from industry and academia on first day of Big Data Innovation Summit 2014 in Santa Clara.
- SIGKDD Data Science/Data Mining PhD Dissertation Award – Nominations Due Apr 30 - Apr 23, 2014.
This annual award by ACM SIGKDD seeks to recognize outstanding research by doctoral candidates in the field of data mining, data science, and knowledge discovery. Nominations due Apr 30.
- MMDS 2014: Workshop on Algorithms for Modern Massive Data Sets, Berkeley - Apr 22, 2014.
The MMDS 2014 workshop (Berkeley, June 17-20) will bring top researchers to address algorithmic, mathematical, and statistical challenges in modern statistical data analysis. Early registration deadline May 1.
- New Book: Social Media Mining – free PDF download - Apr 22, 2014.
Social Media Mining integrates social media, social network analysis, and data mining to enable students, practitioners, researchers, and managers to understand the basics and potentials of this field.
- Great West Casualty Company: Predictive Modeler – Data Analyst - Apr 22, 2014.
Researching, analyzing and developing predictive models in support of company mission - be the premier provider of insurance products and services for truckers.
- TESC Online, Affordable MBA in Data Analytics – Recharge Your Career - Apr 22, 2014.
This online program enables graduates to use advanced data analytics to drive continuous improvement in business and organizations, and lets you earn credit for professional certifications/expertise.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 18-20 - Apr 22, 2014.
Cross-validation pitfalls for regression/classification and how to avoid them; Data Workflows for Machine Learning ; Apache Spark, the hot new trend in Big Data ; Visual Analysis Best Practices - download a free guidebook from Tableau.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – April 21 and beyond - Apr 21, 2014.
Traditional RDBMS Wisdom is All Wrong, What Is Hadoop and Where Is It Going, Trupanion and SiSense, Measuring Skill Level and Optimizing Player-Matching Algorithms in Online Games, and Analytically Speaking Featuring David Meintrup.
- Microsoft Expands Big Data Platform - Apr 21, 2014.
Microsoft expands its data platform with 3 major features: SQL Server 2014 with in-memory technology, Azure Intelligent Systems Service, and Analytics Platform System - SQL Server + Hadoop. New CEO Satya gives low-key but impressive presentation.
- Exclusive Interview: Michael Brodie, Leading Database Researcher, Industry Leader, Thinker - Apr 21, 2014.
We discuss the most important database research advances, industry developments, role of relational, NoSQL, Graph databases, Computing Reality, and more.
- Elusive Data Scientists Driving High Salaries - Apr 21, 2014.
Recent study tracks experience, salary, industry and location of Data scientists, finds they are earning base salaries over $200K. Download free report.
- Apple: Data Scientist – iTunes - Apr 20, 2014.
Apple has a tremendous amount of data, and we have just scratched the surface in pattern detection, anomaly detection, predictive modeling, and optimization. We encourage scientists to stay abreast of research by attending conferences and working with academy.
- Apple: iAd – Senior Software Engineer - Apr 20, 2014.
Apple advertising is redefining the advertising experience on mobile devices. Be part of a dynamic team building high performance and scalable applications.
- Data Workflows for Machine Learning - Apr 20, 2014.
Paco Nathan compares several open source frameworks for Machine Learning workflows, including KNIME, IPython Notebook and related libraries, Cascading, Cascalog, and Spark/MLbase, and proposes 9 criteria to evaluate the best alternatives.
- Top stories for Apr 13-19 - Apr 20, 2014.
Top LinkedIn Groups in 2014 for Analytics, Big Data, Data Science; Data Analytics Handbook, free download; Apache Spark, the hot new trend in Big Data; GoodData Open Analytics Platform.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 16-17 - Apr 19, 2014.
Scikit-Learn: a great python library for machine learning; A map of where nobody lives in the US; Apache Spark, the hot new trend in Big Data ; NYU @aghose on Est. Demand for Mobile Apps - Learn more: NYU Stern MS in Biz Analytics.
- Apache Spark, the hot new trend in Big Data - Apr 18, 2014.
Spark solves similar problems as Hadoop MapReduce does but with a fast in-memory approach and a clean functional style API. Leveraging Hadoop Yarn, Alpine has made it very simple to get started with Spark.
- Videology: Data Mining Scientist - Apr 17, 2014.
Videology is a leading technology company in the digital advertising industry. Support data mining and machine learning efforts, both for research and for ad optimization products.
- Big Data TechCon – Great How-To Conference - Apr 17, 2014.
The recent BigData TechCon conference in Boston featured practical, how-to classes and tutorials for IT and Big Data professionals. It is the how-to training conference for professionals implementing and analyzing Big Data.
- Amazon: Business Intelligence Engineer, Mobile Business Development - Apr 17, 2014.
Talented BI Engineer who is passionate about using data to drive crucial business decisions regarding our activity in the mobile ecosystem.
- Bosch: Data Mining Engineer – Big Data Infrastructure - Apr 17, 2014.
Bring together disparate technologies and use data mining and analytics to solve business problems in Predictive Maintenance, Health Informatics, Vehicle Diagnostics, Manufacturing, and other domains.
- Exclusive Interview: Peter Bruce, President Statistics.com - Apr 17, 2014.
We discuss the mission of Statistics.com, selection of analytics courses and certificates, the future of analytics education, MOOCs, are Statistics disconnected from Big Data, the role of a data scientist, and more.
- UC Berkeley Master of Information and Data Science, Online - Apr 17, 2014.
This online degree is for professionals who want to become leaders in the field of data science. Students benefit from UC Berkeley strong ties to Silicon Valley and multidisciplinary approach that teaches the entire data life cycle.
- Best Practice Partners: Principal Consultant, Clinical Innovations and Physician Engagement - Apr 16, 2014.
Lead the development and delivery of the client company clinical quality improvement and provider engagement services to assist clients in validating and ensuring improved outcomes.
- Examining GoodData Open Analytics Platform - Apr 16, 2014.
KDnuggets examines the main features of GoodData Open Analytics Platform, its users, how it compares to competition, and future plans.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 14-15 - Apr 16, 2014.
9 Free Books for Learning Data Mining and Data Science; Coursera #DataScience Specialization: 10 courses from JHU; Top LinkedIn Groups in 2014 for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science; EMC Data Science and Big Data Analytics Offer.
- Apple: BI Applications Developer - Apr 16, 2014.
Have a startup mentality rather than a IT shop mentality, develop solutions to create different business analytical reports from vast amount of data.
- KDnuggets 14:n09: Top LinkedIn Groups in 2014; Big Data Vendor Analysis; Teaching Machine Learning - Apr 16, 2014.
Latest analytics, data mining, and data science stories, including Features, Opinions, Software, News, Webcasts, Courses, Meetings, Jobs, Academic positions, Publications, Tweets, CFP.
- Vendor-Neutral Hands-On Training in Data Mining [ Wash-DC, May | Denver-CO, July ] - Apr 15, 2014.
Successful analytics in the big data era does not start with data and software, but with immersive hands-on training and goal-driven strategy. Get this training from The Modeling Agency.
- Webinar: Data Mining: Failure to Launch [Apr 17] - Apr 15, 2014.
Learn how to get started with predictive modeling and overcome strategic and tactical limitations that cause data mining projects to fall short of their potential. Next webinar is Apr 17.
- PAW: Predictive Analytics World, Toronto, May 12-15 - Apr 15, 2014.
Predictive Analytics World in Toronto brings you the leading experts in predictive analytics, with keynotes from top speakers. Join PAW and access the best keynotes, sessions, workshops, and more. Bonus: tips on getting approval to attend.
- Oracle Academy – Teaching Students Around The World - Apr 15, 2014.
Oracle academy teaches millions on students around the world, supports Oracle and open-source applications, with courses ranging from computer science for kids to Big Data education.
- JPMorgan Chase: Data Scientist for New Customer Engagement - Apr 15, 2014.
Develop and plan required analytic projects; work with data owners and managers to develop data models and protocols for mining production databases.
- JPMorgan Chase: Business Analyst for Customer Engagement Analytics - Apr 15, 2014.
Capture the business requirements for the analytics projects, create business cases, work with other teams to integrate data mining results.
- JPMorgan Chase: Analytics Manager for New Customer Engagement - Apr 15, 2014.
Manage a team of data scientists and business analysts using statistics, machine learning or data mining techniques to optimize operations by increasing revenues and reducing costs.
- EMC Data Science and Big Data Analytics Offer - Apr 15, 2014.
Gain the skills to become an immediate contributor on a data science team - get EMC Starter Kit or get instructor-led training in Big Data Analytics, now 50% off until May 15 with special code.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 11-13: Influential Data Scientists on Twitter; Data Analytics Handbook – free download - Apr 14, 2014.
Influential Data Scientists on Twitter and what they do now; Data Analytics Handbook - Interviews with Data Scientists and CEO, free download; An Introduction to Deep Learning in Java; #BigData Salaries for Data Analysts, Data Scientists, DBAs
- Top LinkedIn Groups in 2014 for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science - Apr 14, 2014.
We analyze Top 30 LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science. Overall activity drops about 25%, but membership growth accelerates in Q4 2013. We identify 4 group quadrants and find which groups are fastest growing and most active.
- Top stories for Apr 6-12 - Apr 13, 2014.
Learning and Teaching Machine Learning: A Personal Journey; Interactive Big Data Timeline; Big Data Vendor Analysis; Beyond the Science of Data Science.
- Data Analytics Handbook – Interviews with Data Scientists and Tech Leaders, free download - Apr 12, 2014.
A young team of UC Berkeley students produced a Data Analytics Handbook - free to download, featuring interviews with data scientists and tech leaders from leading companies including LinkedIn, Cloudera, Facebook, Yelp, and Flurry.
- Netflix: Sr. Data Scientist – Marketing Algorithms/Analytics - Apr 12, 2014.
Outgoing, curious, interdisciplinary data expert to work as a data miner, statistical modeler and algorithm designer - work with marketing decision makers to better understand and optimize customer acquisition.
- Vincent Granville Data Science Book - Apr 12, 2014.
The Data Science book from Analytic Bridge founder Vincent Granville shows you what employers want and the skill set that separates the quality data scientist from other IT professionals.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 9-10: MLlib: Scalable Machine Learning on Spark; Ensemble methods overview - Apr 11, 2014.
MLlib: Scalable Machine Learning on Spark (free ebook); Ensemble methods usually give best results in Machine Learning - an overview; Prediction.io open source machine learning server ; Maslow Hierarchy of Analytical Needs - too clever?
- SiSense Crowd Accelerated BI - Apr 11, 2014.
We examine SiSense Crowd Accelerated BI - an innovative approach which paradoxically enables faster response as the number of users grows.
- Prediction.io open source machine learning server - Apr 10, 2014.
Prediction.io is an open source machine learning server for predictive solutions, such as personalization or recommendations, built on top of scalable frameworks such as Hadoop and Cascading - ready to handle Big Data.
- Sirius XM: Analyst, Database Analytics - Apr 10, 2014.
Maintaining the team databases, developing knowledge of other organization data for possible integration, working on quality and database documentation.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – April 10 and beyond - Apr 10, 2014.
In-Database Scalable R & Python, Why Analytics Belongs in the Cloud, Data Mining: Failure To Launch, Pivotal Big Data Suite, What Is Hadoop and Where Is It Going, Optimizing Player-Matching Algorithms in Online Games, and more.
- Open Analytics NYC Summit May 8 - Apr 10, 2014.
Open Analytics Summits are a great place for CTOs, Engineers, Developers, Data Scientists, and others to connect, network, and learn about open source technologies and big data analytics. Early reg by Apr 18 + KDnuggets discount.
- Big Data Vendor Analysis - Apr 10, 2014.
The Big Data market in hardware, software, and services reached $18.6 billion in 2013. We analyze the vendor data and identify 4 main clusters of Big Data companies.
- Salford Hands On Data Mining Mini Training, San Diego, April 25 - Apr 9, 2014.
Attend this mini-training to get step-by-step instruction for the most popular data mining techniques, and walk away with the models you create, ready to start your own data projects.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 7-8: Beware of P values – they are not reliable; The Data Scientist Toolbox online course - Apr 9, 2014.
Data scientists beware: P values are not reliable; The Data Scientist Toolbox course - online at Coursera; Beyond the Science of Data Science; EU recommends changing copyright law to enable scientific text data mining.
- Megaputer: Data Analysis Consultant - Apr 9, 2014.
Create data analysis and reporting solutions for Megaputer customers with the help of PolyAnalyst(tm) platform: experimental, proof-of-concept, implementation, and production projects. Develop successful long-term relationships with customers.
- Interactive Big Data Timeline - Apr 8, 2014.
A very interesting interactive Big Data timeline takes you from the beginning of information overload in 1880s to Business Intelligence, World Wide Web, Hadoop, Cloud, and more.
- March Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining Acquisitions and Startups Activity - Apr 8, 2014.
March 2014 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: Vizify, Echo Nest, Coinalytics, VoltDB, Platfora, Dell buys Statsoft, Vicarious, RelateIQ, Cloudera.
- Beyond the Science of Data Science - Apr 8, 2014.
The difference between what is required being a successful analytics consultant and what is taught in school.
- Useful Business Analytics Summit in Boston, June 10-11 - Apr 8, 2014.
Join the Useful Business Analytics Summit (Boston, June 10-11), the unique conference where corporate peers can meet and determine how USEFUL analytics can improve business decision making. Special KDnuggets discount and early bird by Apr 18.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 4-6: Apache Spark – a Fast #BigData Analytics Engine; Facebook #DataScience tools - Apr 7, 2014.
Apache Spark - a Fast #BigData Analytics Engine - very good, detailed overview! Facebook #DataScience team releases open-source tools; Top #BigData start-ups by employee satisfaction; My answer to "Which will be better for career prospects in Machine Learning".
- CEOWorld Top Big Data Executives and Experts to Follow on Twitter - Apr 7, 2014.
Another list of 64 Top Big Data Execs and Experts on Twitter from CEO World is lead by Hilary Mason (@hmason), @todd_park, @SethGrimes, Cindi Howson (@biscorecard), and Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro (@kdnuggets).
- Book Review: Data Just Right - Apr 7, 2014.
An introduction to technology and software at play in the current quest to define the Big Data Analytics computing paradigm, the book Data Just Right is reviewed in detail here.