- Flipkart: Data Scientist - Aug 22, 2014.
If you have an advanced degree (MS or PhD) in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Statistics, Optimization, NLP or related areas, and are passionate about Data and looking to impact billion+ people, we would love to talk!
- Pew Research Center: Research Analyst, Internet, Science and Technology - Aug 22, 2014.
Expert in Big Data and non-survey data collection and analysis to support Pew Research on the impact of the internet and other digital technologies on users and society.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 20-21: Deep Learning book and more; Sibyl: Google Large Scale Machine Learning - Aug 22, 2014.
Deep Learning book draft - read and help improve it; Deep Learning - important resources for learning and understanding; Sibyl: Google's system for Large Scale Machine Learning; Excellent Intro to Deep Learning.
- KDD-2014 Awards Winners - Aug 22, 2014.
KDD-2014, the leading and the largest conference in data mining, data science, and knowledge discovery, recognizes the key researchers and contributors through several awards - read about the winners.
- PAW: Don’t Miss Predictive Analytics World for Healthcare - Aug 21, 2014.
PAW Healthcare gathers industry leaders who share case studies and knowledge about predictive analytics making significant impacts in the healthcare industry - KDnuggets readers get a special discount.
- Deep Learning – important resources for learning and understanding - Aug 21, 2014.
New and fundamental resources for learning about Deep Learning - the hottest machine learning method, which is approaching human performance level.
- INFORMS The Business of Big Data 2014: Day 1 Highlights - Aug 21, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data technology practitioners from Teradata, Booz Allen Hamilton, Databricks and ProbabilityManagement.org during INFORMS The Business of Big Data in San Jose.
- company: Sr. Data Analytics Engineer/Scientist – Machine Learning - Aug 21, 2014.
Develop an analytic strategy by creating methodologies, algorithms and prototypes, and showing their value; build statistical models with large datasets to derive meaningful insights that effect actionable decisions.
- Nike: Senior Data Scientist, Integrated Analytics, Global Consumer Knowledge - Aug 21, 2014.
Work across Nike consumer facing businesses to define and implement measurement strategies, instrument and analyze consumer behavior, and inform Nike global strategy.
- Interview: Saikat Mukherjee, ShareThis on Why Marketers can no longer Ignore Social TV? - Aug 20, 2014.
We discuss the role of Analytics at ShareThis, the emergence of Social TV, better user behavior insights through Social TV, major challenges with Social TV analytics, interesting insights, future trends, recommendation and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 18-19: Big Data moves to “Trough of Disillusionment” in Gartner Hype Cycle - Aug 20, 2014.
Big Data moves to "Trough of Disillusionment" in Gartner Hype Cycle; Four main languages for Analytics, Data Mining; Statistics.com Online Courses and Certificate Programs in Data Science; Exploring Hotel Review Data from Trip Advisor with R.
- DataReview interview with me on KDnuggets, Data Mining, and Data Science - Aug 20, 2014.
I have recently given an interview to DataReview, an Ukrainian site, where we talked about KDnuggets origins, history of Data Mining, interesting problems I worked on, and typical problems faced by young data scientists.
- Sibyl: Google’s system for Large Scale Machine Learning - Aug 20, 2014.
A review of 2014 keynote talk about Sibyl, Google system for large scale machine learning. Parallel Boosting algorithm and several design principles are introduced.
- KDnuggets 14:n22, 4 main analytics languages; Top research leaders in Data Mining; Pedro Domingos - Aug 20, 2014.
KDnuggets Analytics, Big Data, Data mining, and Data Science stories, including Features, News, Opinions, Interviews, Webcasts, Courses, Meetings, Jobs, Publications, and Top Tweets.
- Panel Report: A Data Scientist Guide to Startups - Aug 19, 2014.
A detailed report on the KDD-2013 panel with 4 leading data scientists and entrepreneurs - Ron Bekkerman, Oren Etzioni, Usama Fayyad, and Claudia Perlich, discussing the major issues in Big Data and Data Science startups.
- Interview: Pedro Domingos: the Master Algorithm, new type of Deep Learning, great advice for young researchers - Aug 19, 2014.
Top researcher Pedro Domingos on useful maxims for Data Mining, Machine Learning as the Master Algorithm, new type of Deep Learning called sum-product networks, Big Data and startups, and great advice to young researchers.
- Data Analytics Week, Las Vegas, Nov 10-13 – Surprise Keynote Speaker - Aug 19, 2014.
Data Analytics Week, Nov 10-13, 2014 in Las Vegas has confidently departed from the term "big data" because regardless of the size of your data, there is powerful information to unlock. KDnuggets discount.
- ID Analytics: Director, Data Science - Aug 18, 2014.
The Director of Data Science manages a team of data scientists performing complex modeling and algorithmic tasks around large data sets.
- Statistics.com Online Courses and Certificate Programs in Data Science - Aug 18, 2014.
Online courses to accelerate your career or help upgrade the skills of your team members. Learn and get answers from top experts who authored hundreds of books and have real industry.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Aug 19 and beyond - Aug 18, 2014.
Data Mining: Failure To Launch, Smart Metering, Hadoop, Data Science at the Command Line, Personalized Healthcare, Modern Regression Analysis Techniques, and more.
- Four main languages for Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science - Aug 18, 2014.
New KDnuggets Poll shows the growing dominance of four main languages for Analytics, Data Mining, and Data Science: R, SAS, Python, and SQL - used by 91% of data scientists - and decline in popularity of other languages, except for Julia and Scala.
- Interview: John Funge, CTO, Knack on Why Gaming is the Next Big Thing for Hiring - Aug 18, 2014.
We discuss the gamification of hiring, founding story of Knack, applications of Predictive Human Analytics, challenges, Big Data tools and technology used, key qualities sought in data scientists, career advice and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 15-17: Top Research Leaders in Data Mining; Hbase; Job Interview - Aug 18, 2014.
The top 5 Questions a Data Scientist should ask during a job interview; Top Research Leaders in Data Mining, Data Science, and KDD; Least popular jobs for big data practitioners; Graduate Programs in #BigData Analytics and Data Science.
- Starcom: Director, Analytics and Development - Aug 17, 2014.
Provide analytics-based research, insights and direction to aid in the measurement and ultimately development of effective experience planning for our clients.
- Top stories for Aug 10-16: Certificates in Analytics, Data Mining; OpenML: Share, Discover and Do Machine Learning - Aug 17, 2014.
Certificates in Analytics, Data Mining, and Data Science; OpenML: Share, Discover and Do Machine Learning; Top 10 References for applying Big Data and Analytics in Business; Data is not a fad.
- Top Research Leaders in Data Mining, Data Science, and KDD - Aug 16, 2014.
We identify the top researchers in Data Mining, Data Science, and KDD. Jiawei Han, Philip Yu, and Christos Faloutsos remain the leaders, but they are joined by many fast rising young researchers - the leaders of tomorrow.
- Interview: Pedro Domingos, Winner of KDD 2014 Data Mining/Data Science Innovation Award - Aug 15, 2014.
We discuss the differences between Machine Learning, Data Mining, and Statistics; the importance of cost-sensitive classification; social network mining and identifying influencers; mining data streams, and more.
- Interview: Pallas Horwitz, Blue Shell Games on Why Gaming Analytics is Not a Piece of Cake - Aug 15, 2014.
We discuss the challenges of gaming analytics, most desired missing data, current trends, career advice, important soft skills in data science and more.
- Hitachi: Research Scientist - Aug 15, 2014.
Candidates with a Ph.D. or MS degree in machine learning, data mining, statistical modeling, databases or distributed computing, and a passion for taking technology from research to industrial solutions.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 13-14: Boyfriend as a statistically “significant” other - Aug 15, 2014.
xkcd: Boyfriend as a statistically "significant" other; Interesting Social Media Datasets; Sibyl: a System for Large Scale Machine Learning at Google; We don't need such hype: "Big Data scientists get 100 recruiter emails a day".
- Recommendations for Big Data Success for the Long Haul - Aug 15, 2014.
Overcome common big data challenges by identifying the right POC (proof-of-concept) use case for Hadoop and leveraging its success to build executive and stakeholder buy-in.
- IBM Watson’s Next Step: Partnership with Universities - Aug 15, 2014.
Students from ten top tech universities now have access to Watson. For students at New York University interested in Watson, Capstone Project Course would be their first choice.
- Statistical Learning and Data Mining III, Boston, Oct 27-28 - Aug 14, 2014.
Taught by top Stanford professors and leading statisticians Trevor Hastie and Robert Tibshirani, this course presents 10 hot ideas for learning from data, and gives a detailed overview of statistical models for data mining, inference and prediction.
- Interview: Pallas Horwitz, Blue Shell Games on Why Data Science is So Critical for Gaming Studios - Aug 14, 2014.
We discuss the role of data science at Blue Shell Games, the importance of "Lean Data", key metrics for online games, cross-product projects and optimizing meeting the data needs across an organization.
- Experiment: Toward a Thermostatistics for Complex Systems - Aug 14, 2014.
Crowdfunding experiment: a data scientist at Radius.com believes that physics for complex systems and Big Data is just around the corner, and asks you to support his experiment on open-source Complex Thermostatistics.
- Top Analytics and Big Data trends ahead of Strata Hadoop NYC Conference - Aug 14, 2014.
Top trends in Analytics and Big Data named by our readers ahead of Strata + Hadoop NYC conference include Deep Learning, Apache Spark, democratization of analytics, and real-time processing of Big Data.
- Air Liquide: Research Scientist - Aug 14, 2014.
Develop data mining methods and tools that can be used for improving efficiency, reliability, and overall business effectiveness.
- Data is not a fad - Aug 14, 2014.
Learn why Big Data drives the need for companies to adopt data leadership and why Chief Data Officers are likely to join the C-suite in large organizations.
- Data Visualization Summit, Boston, Sep 25-26 - Aug 14, 2014.
Join data visualization experts, visual designers and business executives and learn from 25+ speakers from companies including StubHub, Citi, The Washington Post, USA Today, Boston Globe, Liv Nation, PayPal and more.
- Apple: Sr. Software Engineer, Machine Learning - Aug 13, 2014.
Apply advanced techniques and algorithms to improve an ad network, develop and implement ad algorithms, yield optimization solutions and network data processes, deep understanding of the ad network behavior.
- Chubb: Market Analytics / Predictive Modeling Specialist, Commercial Strategic Marketing - Aug 13, 2014.
Producing meaningful, relevant marketing information and data for Chubb's commercial field and home office stakeholders.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 11-12: The entire global economy in one chart; New heroes of #BigData and Analytics - Aug 13, 2014.
The World Bank sums up the entire global economy in one chart; The new heroes of #BigData and Analytics - Chief Data Officers; Top 10 References for applying Big Data and Analytics in Business; Watch: "Building Recommender Systems" by Netflix Research/Eng Director.
- Interesting Social Media Datasets - Aug 13, 2014.
Learn about some of the many interesting social media datasets available to you, some of which are quite new, and the different features and challenges they offer you for your next big data science project.
- Talent Analytics Projects: “Fishing” vs Solving Business Problems - Aug 13, 2014.
We examine a vague "look for something interesting in the HR data” vs a narrowly focused “business win” effort and show why the second approach is preferable, and what needs to be added to HR data for success.
- KDnuggets 14:n21, Certificates in Analytics, Data Science; Michael Berthold, KNIME; OpenML - Aug 13, 2014.
KDnuggets Analytics, Data mining, and Data Science stories, including Certificates in Analytics, Data Science, online and on-campus; Interview with Michael Berthold, KNIME founder and President; OpenML: Share, Discover and Do Machine Learning, and more.
- SAS Analytics, Data Mining, Statistics Training – Limited Time Offer - Aug 12, 2014.
SAS is celebrating training a million users! Don’t miss your opportunity to experience the SAS Business Knowledge Series with this special offer. Register by Aug 31 with promo code BKS1M and save.
- Webcast: Data Science at the Command Line, Aug 20 - Aug 12, 2014.
This webcast will explain how to set up and use the Data Science Toolbox, a free, open-source virtual environment that allows everybody to get started with data science in minutes.
- Interview: Michael Berthold, KNIME Founder, on Research, Creativity, Big Data, and Privacy, Part 2 - Aug 12, 2014.
We discuss interesting research projects, scientific research and creativity, Big Data hype and reality, is privacy still possible, and advice for beginning Data Scientists.
- EMC Big Data Courses for Data Scientists and Business Leaders - Aug 12, 2014.
EMC offers industry-leading training and certification to help you meet the Big Data challenges. Get Data Science and Big Data Analytics Starterkit or Big Data Analytics Course for Business Leaders.
- Netflix: Director – Product Analytics, Data Science and Engineering - Aug 11, 2014.
A seasoned leader who can equip the Product organization with all of the data and insights needed to sustain Data-driven decision making culture as we continue to expand globally.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Aug 12 and beyond - Aug 11, 2014.
Wolfram Experts Live, InfiniDB, Data Mining: Failure To Launch, Market Basket and Customer Analysis with Spotfire, Personalized Healthcare, Data Science at the Command Line, and more.
- Top 10 References for applying Big Data and Analytics in Business - Aug 11, 2014.
See how businesses leverage data analytics for great gain to help others understand the business value of data science projects and provide examples to inspire your own data-driven projects.
- Webinar: Data Mining: Failure to Launch [Aug 19] - Aug 11, 2014.
Learn how to get started with predictive modeling and overcome strategic and tactical limitations that cause data mining projects to fall short of their potential. Next webinar is Aug 19.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 8-10: Forget SQL vs NoSQL. New trend is HTAP: Hybrid Transaction/Analytical Processing - Aug 11, 2014.
Forget SQL vs NoSQL. New trend is HTAP: Hybrid Transaction/Analytical Processing; Metrics that Matter - The Key to Perfect Dashboards; Machine Learning Tutorial: The Max Entropy Text Classifier ; Six Thinking Hats and the Life of a Data Scientist.
- PAW: Predictive Analytics World for Government, Sep 15-18, Washington, DC - Aug 11, 2014.
Be part of the largest and only vendor-neutral analytics conference for government, Predictive Analytics World for Government. KDnuggets discount.
- OpenML: Share, Discover and Do Machine Learning - Aug 11, 2014.
OpenML is designed to share, organize and reuse data, code and experiments, so that scientists can make discoveries more efficiently. It is an interesting idea to build a network of machine learning.
- Top stories for Aug 3-9: Cartoon: Big Data Viz and 7-D Printer; Exclusive: Dell on Data Mining, Statistica future - Aug 10, 2014.
Cartoon: Big Data Visualization and 7-D Printer; Exclusive: Dell Management on Analytics, Data Mining, Statistica future; Becoming a Data Scientist: MS Program, Bootcamp, or MOOCs?; Big Data Innovation Summit 2014 Toronto highlights.
- Interview: Michael Berthold, President and Founder of KNIME, on Data Mining, Startups, and Visual Workflow - Aug 9, 2014.
We discuss KNIME key features and how it compares to competition, KNIME business model, Pharma, planned development, and transition from an academic project to a company.
- Metrics that Matter – The Key to Perfect Dashboards - Aug 9, 2014.
Create the perfect data visualization dashboards by learning what metrics matter most to your users and displaying them prominently within the design of the dashboard.
- mapropos: President/CEO, Data Science division - Aug 9, 2014.
Head a new effort focused on providing data analytic services to industry and government, including hiring staff and the integration of them and the company into the existing large bioanalytic/image analysis team.
- Hands-on Data Mining Training, New York City, Aug 22, $35 (Toronto, Detroit in Sep) - Aug 8, 2014.
Get hands-on data mining training on topics like regression, classification, decision trees, and other techniques in this course conducted by Salford Systems.
- Berkeley DataLead conference, Sep 30 – Oct 2 - Aug 8, 2014.
The conference will focus on big data applied to real world business, with focus on finance and marketing, but also cover many other facets of data science and applications in technology, retail, education, science, and government.
- ASE International Conference on Big Data Science 2014: Day 4 Highlights - Aug 8, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Data Science leaders from UC Berkeley, Clark Atlanta Univ, Florida Institute of Technology, Rober Bosh LLC and HP on day 4 of ASE Conference on Big Data Science 2014, Stanford.
- Six Thinking Hats and the Life of a Data Scientist - Aug 8, 2014.
Learn about the different "hats" (mindsets) a data scientist should adopt to reach maximum effectiveness in the variety of situations encountered in this emerging field.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 6-7: Becoming a Data Scientist: MS Program, Bootcamp, or MOOCs? - Aug 8, 2014.
Becoming a Data Scientist: MS Program, Bootcamp, or MOOCs?; Statistics is the *least* important part of data science; New Poll: What languages you used for analytics / data mining in 2014; If you love Pizza and #DataScience, here is a unique job for you.
- Interview: Sujee Maniyam, Elephant Scale on Why Open Source is So Important for Big Data - Aug 8, 2014.
We discuss the importance of contributing to Open Source, Big Data skills for business managers, Big Data predictions, key qualities sought in data engineers, career advice and more.
- Certificates in Analytics, Data Mining, and Data Science - Aug 8, 2014.
Forty six options for Certificates and Certifications in Analytics, Business Analytics, Data Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science, SAS, and R - available online, on-campus and in a blended format.
- Machine Zone: Data Scientist for World’s Largest Mobile MMO - Aug 8, 2014.
Develop and investigate hypotheses, structure experiments and build mathematical models to identify game optimization points that will encourage users to play our games.
- MasterCard: Business Leader, Product Development, Fraud Data Strategy and Modeling - Aug 8, 2014.
MasterCard is a technology company in the global payments business. We connect consumers, financial institutions, merchants, governments and businesses worldwide and enable them to use secure and convenient electronic forms of payment.
- Vendor-Neutral Hands-On Training in Data Mining [Wash-DC, Sep | Las Vegas, Dec] - Aug 7, 2014.
Successful analytics in the big data era does not start with data and software, but with hands-on, immersive training and goal-driven strategy - get it from The Modeling Agency.
- Paychex: Risk Modeling Analyst II - Aug 7, 2014.
Perform high level data mining and analytical projects, develop predictive models, understands specific business details, and interact with data owners/key stakeholders.
- Big Data Innovation Summit 2014 Toronto: Day 2 Highlights - Aug 7, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data leaders from Aviva, Canadian Imperial Bank, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, and University Health Network on day 2 of Big Data Innovation Summit 2014.
- Interview: Sujee Maniyam, Elephant Scale on the Best Free Online Resources to Learn Hadoop - Aug 7, 2014.
We discuss the startup - Elephant Scale, DIY Hadoop learning, best free online resources for learning Hadoop, getting a good job in Big Data, and the experience of authoring a book - Hadoop Illuminated (available for free).
- July 2014 Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining Acquisitions and Startups Activity - Aug 7, 2014.
July 2014 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: Twitter buys Madbits, WalmartLabs buys Luvocracy, Zillow buys Trulia, Apple buys Booklamp, Yahoo buys Flurry, Salesforce buys RelateIQ, Couchbase, GE, Databricks, and more.
- Rule14: Text Mining/Machine Learning Expert - Aug 7, 2014.
Design and implementation of key-phrase/sentence extraction and summarization algorithms, within a variety of domains including: legal, healthcare, banking/finance/insurance.
- Stanford: Learn the science and art of managing people, products, and data - Aug 7, 2014.
Learn from world-renowned Stanford faculty - get online certificates and take online courses in Data Mining and Applications, Mining Massive Data Sets, Financial Modeling, and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 4-5: Ensemble Methods, a brief history; Data Scientist role shifting - Aug 6, 2014.
Ensemble Methods are the backbone of #MachineLearning - a brief history; Data Scientist role shifting, with companies focusing on Developers; To add #MachineLearning for Python, scikit-learn; for Hadoop: Mahout; Meet Fortune 2014 #BigData All-Stars: data scientists, entrepreneurs, CEOs.
- Becoming a Data Scientist: MS Program, Bootcamp, or MOOCs? - Aug 6, 2014.
Learn about the different ways to become a data science including a master's degree, bootcamps, or self-learning with MOOCs and their advantages and disadvantages.
- Big Data Innovation Summit 2014 Toronto: Day 1 Highlights - Aug 6, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data leaders from TD Bank, Public Health Ontario and First Nations Education Steering Committee on day 1 of Big Data Innovation Summit 2014 in Toronto, Canada.
- Dominos: Data Scientist - Aug 6, 2014.
Data Scientists at Domino's Pizza don't just crunch numbers...they view the universe as one large data set, and they decipher relationships and high level insights from that mass of information.