- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 15-16: Annotated dataset of tweets; Will 2014 be the start the end for SAS, SPSS? [TopTweets] - May 17, 2013.
Annotated dataset of tweets, for opinion retrieval in Twitter; Will 2014 be the beginning of the end for SAS and SPSS ? Poll Results: In the era of Big Data, Statistics Will Become More Important; Great thread on hacker news in response to "Most data isn't big"
- PhD working on Process Mining Techniques at TU-Eindhoven, The Netherlands [Academic] - May 16, 2013.
Working in The Architecture of Information Systems group, one of the leading computer science groups in the Netherlands and as the center of BPM and process mining research. Apply by June 15.
- Viscovery 6.0 Visual Data-Mining Platform [News Briefs] - May 16, 2013.
Viscovery Visual data mining software suite is designed to help customers uncover high-value insights and interesting attributes in very high-dimensional data. Free trial.
- New Poll: Predictive Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, Data Science Software Used [Features] ( comments) - May 16, 2013.
The 14th annual KDnuggets Software poll is asking: What Predictive Analytics, Big Data, Data mining, Data Science software you used in the past 12 months for a real project? Please vote
- Senior Statistician, Marketing Analytics at Chase, Columbus, OH [Jobs] - May 16, 2013.
Work on challenging analytical projects/questions with a potential of significant impact to the business. Typically these problems will be of an unstructured nature, and the analyst will be expected to quickly assess the situation and develop a practical problem solving strategy.
- Affordable Online MS in Data Analytics, Learn more - May 22 webinar [Webcasts] - May 16, 2013.
Learn in May 22 Webinar how the affordable Online MS in Data Analytics at CUNY SPS can prepare you for a Big Data and Analytics career.
- Poll Results: With Big Data, Statistics Will Become More Important [Features] ( comments) - May 15, 2013.
In one of the most lopsided polls on KDnuggets, a big majority of KDnuggets audience said that in the era of Big Data, Statistics will become more important, as the foundation of Data Science.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 13-14: Shocking: 55% of #BigData Analytics projects fail; Secrets of the #BigData Revolution [TopTweets] - May 15, 2013.
Shocking: 55% of #BigData Analytics projects fail, due to lack of talent or biz context; Secrets of the #BigData Revolution: new book looks at Data Science, Big Data, Tools; Useful! The Guerilla Guide to R: reading/writing, dataframes, Lists, Vectors, Gotchas; The 10 Most Influential People in Data Analytics, Data Mining, Predictive Analytics
- Data Scientist at Apple, Cupertino, CA [Jobs] - May 15, 2013.
Apple has a tremendous amount of data, and we have just scratched the surface in pattern detection, anomaly detection, predictive modeling, and optimization. There are many exciting problems to be discovered and solved.
- Data Mining Scientist at Apple, Austin, TX [Jobs] - May 15, 2013.
An outstanding data mining scientist, designing, developing, and fielding data mining solutions that have direct and measurable impact to Apple.
- KDnuggets reaches 10000 Twitter Followers [Features] ( comments) - May 14, 2013.
We look at interesting KDnuggets Twitter statistics upon reaching a milestone of 10,000 followers.
- Fraud Data Analyst, 230930 at Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, St Louis, MO [Jobs] - May 14, 2013.
"Do Not Pay" is the US Treasury to identify, reduce, and prevent improper payments. Work on completing robust data analytics on federal payment data to identify potential fraud. US Citizenship required
- 10 Most Influential People in Data Analytics [Features] ( comments) - May 14, 2013.
Here is another list of 10 Most Influential People in Data Analytics, which includes (in alphabetical order) Dean Abbott, Mchael Berry, Tom Davenport, John Elder, Rayid Ghani, Anthony Goldbloom, Vincent Granville, Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro, Karl Rexer, and Eric Siegel.
- ICDM 2013: Call for Data Mining Contest Proposals [Competitions] - May 14, 2013.
The Data Mining Contest is an integral part of the ICDM conference and provides an opportunity for teams of scientists and domain experts to compete in order to develop data mining techniques for real-world applications. Submissions due June 7
- Northwestern Online MS in Predictive Analytics [Courses, Events] - May 14, 2013.
Prepare for leadership-level career opportunities, learn from distinguished Northwestern faculty and industry experts, and build statistical and analytic expertise as well as the management and leadership skills. You can earn Northwestern MS degree entirely online.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 10-12: FasteR! A Guide to Speeding Up R Code; MIT Luminoso breakthrough in Text Mining [TopTweets] - May 13, 2013.
FasteR! A Guide to Speeding Up R Code for Busy People; MIT startup Luminoso claims a breakthrough in Text Mining; Facebook about to launch a Big Play in #BigData Analytics; The #BigData Scientist Skillset: more than just Hadoop, Python, R, Pig, and SQL
- Data Drive Thru: Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro [Publications] - May 13, 2013.
Here is an interview I gave to LatentView, discussing Analytics, Big Data, Analytics Solutions and Services, and more.
- Most Data is Not Big? A Discussion [Publications] ( comments) - May 13, 2013.
"Most Data is not Big" post generates a very lively discussion among analytics experts - see if you agree, and join the discussion. Is collecting Big Data a distraction from focus on ROI and actionable information?
- Webinar: Data Philanthropy, May 22, leverage data for social good and business [Webcasts] - May 12, 2013.
Learn How private and public organizations cooperatively leverage data assets for social good and business growth.
- Top news for May 5-11: Will Big Data Make Stats Less Important? Stanford Online; SADM journal Top Papers Free Access [Features] - May 12, 2013.
Best Blogs for Data Miners and Data Scientists; New Poll: Will Big Data make Statistics less Important?;
Top jobs: Data Scientist at MethodCare; SWE Data Scientist at Apple
- Business Analyst at Amazon, Seattle, WA [Jobs] - May 10, 2013.
A proven self-starter with strong interpersonal skills and passionate about using data to drive decisions. Deal with ambiguity and make independent decisions about what data is best for the task at hand.
- Data Scientist at Amazon, Seattle, WA [Jobs] - May 10, 2013.
This is a high impact role in a talented and close knit team of data scientists, analysts, engineers and product managers who are helping define the next generation of Ad Tech and influencing marketing decisions across the globe.
- Statistical Analysis and Data Mining journal Top Papers Free Access [Publications] - May 10, 2013.
Read the most popular papers from Statistical Analysis and Data Mining published 2011-2012, with free access. Topics include time series, community discovery, statistical network analysis, room for modeler, convex clustering, and more.
- Cartoon: Mother Of All Data [Features] ( comments) - May 10, 2013.
New KDnuggets Cartoon looks at the Mother of All Data. Enjoy and don't forget the mothers in your life - Big Data predicted that 67.53% of you would remember!
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 8-9: Essential Data Mining Cheat Sheet; Quandl R Package - 5M free datasets, clever data search [TopTweets] - May 10, 2013.
Essential! Data Mining Cheat Sheet - Discovering and Visualizing Patterns with Python; Quandl R Package - 5,000,000 free datasets, clever data search; Has Big Data Made Anonymity Impossible? Yes ; A contrary view: Most data isn't 'big' - Businesses are wasting money pretending it is
- Alteryx Instant Analytics - Project Edition Free Version [Software] - May 9, 2013.
The new Project Edition of Alteryx Strategic Analytics provides the opportunity for the underserved Data Artisans to experience Alteryx by providing a powerful, free instant analytics platform to complete their next business critical analytics projects faster.
- Research Scientist at DuPont Pioneer, Johnston, IA [Jobs] - May 9, 2013.
Have an extensive background in machine learning and data mining and a strong passion for inventing, applying, and evaluating algorithms to extract knowledge from large data sets.
- Lavastorm: New Forrester Research - Agile BI Report - Free Download [Publications] - May 9, 2013.
Download Forrester Research Report "Build an Agile BI Organization" and learn why centralized BI is prone to failure and how to close BI talent gap by empowering business users to roll their own BI apps.
- Kaggle Competition and Tutorial: Facial Keypoints Detection [Competitions] - May 8, 2013.
Identify the key points in facial images that vary by many different factors. This competition also provides a benchmark dataset and R Tutorial to get going on facial image analysis.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 6-7: Stanford Data Mining/Stats Courses Online; Shape of Data, an intuitive geometric introduction [TopTweets] - May 8, 2013.
Stanford Data Mining and Statistics Courses Online; The Shape of Data, an intuitive introduction to data algorithms; The "mad scientist" of Hollywood evaluates if a script will make a hit; Stephen McDaniel on Data Science vs Statistics
- Software Engineering Data Scientist at Apple, Cupertino [Jobs] - May 8, 2013.
Designing, developing, and fielding data mining solutions that have direct and measurable impact to Apple. Combine a broad knowledge of existing data mining algorithms and creativity to invent and customize when necessary.
- Security Data Analyst/Scientist at Zions Bancorporation, Salt Lake City, UT [Jobs] - May 8, 2013.
Collect and analyze operational security data; prepare reports and recommendations; develop, maintain, and ensure data quality control.
- KDnuggets 13:n12, Will Big Data Make Statistics Less important? Best Blogs; Data Scientist Now Webinar [Publications] - May 8, 2013.
New Poll: Big Data vs Statistics, Best Blogs, Data Scientist Now webinar and more analytics/data mining news, including Features (9) | Software (4) | Webcasts (3) | Courses, Events (1) | Meetings (3) | Jobs (9) | Academic (3) | Competitions (1) | Publications (4) | Top Tweets (6) | News Briefs (3) | CFP (13)
- PAW: Predictive Analytics World, Chicago, June 10-13 [Meetings] - May 7, 2013.
Charge your expertise with the latest methodologies, connect with your peers, and experience unmatched networking and learning at PAW Chicago - June 10-13, 2013. Register by June 9 and save.
- CUNY Webinar: Big Data, Bigger Careers, May 22 [Webcasts] - May 7, 2013.
Join a panel of data analytics experts for a discussion of Big Data, and learn how the affordable Online MS in Data Analytics at CUNY SPS can prepare you to be a part of it.
- New Poll: Will Big Data make Statistics less Important? [Features] ( comments) - May 7, 2013.
The explosive growth of Big Data enables many data-driven methods such as deep learning which are not based on classical statistics. Will Big Data and Data Science make Statistics less, or more important? Please vote
- DMCS 2013: Data Mining Case Studies and Data Mining Practice Prize CFP [Meetings] - May 7, 2013.
DMCS will highlight data mining implementations that have been responsible for a significant and measurable improvement in business operations, or an equally important scientific discovery, or some other benefit to humanity. Early submissions due June 8.
- Data Scientist at MethodCare, Chicago, IL [Jobs] - May 6, 2013.
MethodCare is the leading provider of big data analytics for healthcare organizations, and is growing rapidly. We need a talented and experienced Data Scientist who thrives in a fast paced, start-up environment.
- Innocentive: Data Relationships Visualization of Thomson Reuters Web of Science [Competitions] - May 6, 2013.
Build a programmatic interface or "app" using Thomson Reuters Web of Knowledge API that enables users to explore data relationships in an engaging or visual way.
- Stephen McDaniel on Data Science vs Statistics [Publications] ( comments) - May 6, 2013.
Stephen McDaniel, a noted expert in data science and visualization and founder of Freakalytics, provides his perspective on Data Science vs Statistics debate
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 3-5: Social network analysis of Boston Marathon Bomber; Hadoop Toolbox: When to use what [TopTweets] - May 6, 2013.
What social network analysis says about Boston Marathon Bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev; Hadoop Toolbox: When to use what - a guide to Hadoop, Hbase, Hive, Pig, Sqoop, Oozie, Flum; TweetMap - a fantastic tool to visualize and map tweets in real-time (goodbye, privacy?); 5 free Excel add-ins to help analyze #BigData
- Principal Data Scientist at LifeLock, Tempe, AZ (preferred) or Sunnyvale, CA [Jobs] - May 6, 2013.
Are you interested in spearheading LifeLock's next stage of growth utilizing terabytes of consumer behavioral data? Can you think out of the box to envision which data insights will resonate with our members and transform how identities are established, used, and protected?
- Mu Sigma Launches Certification Program for Decision Scientists [News Briefs] - May 6, 2013.
New Certification is different from Data Science in the focus on practical skills and experience needed to help companies make better decisions. Currently, the program is available only for Mu Sigma employees.
- Stanford Data Mining and Statistics Courses Online [Courses, Events] - May 6, 2013.
Become indispensable with Stanford Data Mining and Statistics Courses Online
- Enigma startup for Public Big Data [News Briefs] - May 5, 2013.
This startup focuses on Big Data in the public domain, from governments, NGOs, and the media and is building infrastructure to connect it together and make it searchable and accessible through a web platform and API.
- Postdoctoral position at KULeuven, Belgium [Academic] - May 5, 2013.
Two year position focusing on information extraction from text. The candidate should have several publications in major conferences or journals in thecomputational linguistics, machine learning and/or AI.
- Top news for Apr 28 - May 4: Best Blogs for Data Miners/Scientists; Hedonometer; Is Data Science The End of Statistics? [Features] - May 5, 2013.
Best Blogs for Data Miners and Data Scientists; Is Data Science The End of Statistics? Hedonometer
Top jobs: Analytics Intern at Bitly; SDE, Data Mining/ Text Analysis/ Machine Learning at Amazon
- Live Webcast: Analytically Speaking featuring Russ Wolfinger, May 22 [Webcasts] - May 4, 2013.
From genetics to marketing to industry, a mixed-model approach is useful for dealing with missing data and computing more accurate estimates - learn best practices and innovative visualizations in this webcast.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 1-2: Why all those Data Scientists are not working on Curing Cancer [TopTweets] - May 3, 2013.
Why all those Data Scientists are not working on Curing Cancer; Amazon: SDE Data Mining/Text Analysis/Machine Learning;
- Faculty in Machine Learning, Data Mining at Monash, Melbourne, Australia [Academic] - May 3, 2013.
Monash, a leading international university, has four Tenurable Faculty positions open. We are seeking outstanding researchers in machine learning and data mining amongst other areas. Apply by June 13, 2013.
- Hedonometer: Twitter Happiness Measure - What does it say [Features] ( comments) - May 3, 2013.
We examine the daily happiness on Twitter, as measured by Hedonometer, and look at Happiest and unhappiest days of the year and of the week.
- Data Scientist Now, Webinar May 14 [Webcasts] ( comments) - May 2, 2013.
Join Carla Gentry (Analytical Solution), David Smith (Revolution Analytics), Gregory Piatetsky (KDnuggets), and Eric Kavanagh for an open panel webinar on Data Science Now, May 14, organized by Kalido. Ask your questions in advance
- Webinar: Data Mining: Failure to Launch [May 14] [Webcasts] - May 2, 2013.
Learn how to get started with predictive modeling and overcome strategic and tactical limitations that cause data mining projects to fall short of their potential. Next webinar is May 14.
- TMA Courses in Data Analytics [June: Denver; Aug: San Jose] [Courses, Events] - May 2, 2013.
Get up to speed in data mining faster and more effectively than with any other training program available. Next courses in Denver, CO and San Jose, CA.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 29-30: Best Blogs for Data Miners and Data Scientists; Deep Learning: one of 10 breakthrough technologies of 2013 [TopTweets] - May 1, 2013.
Best Blogs for Data Miners and Data Scientists to read; Deep Learning: one of 10 breakthrough technologies of 2013; LinkedIn Data Scientist @dtunkelang on Recommendation Cold Start problem; To succeed with #BigData, you need to have 2 approaches: a Lab and a Factory
- Sr. Software Development Engineer - Cloud/ Big Data at Amazon, Seattle, WA [Jobs] - May 1, 2013.
Build machine learning solutions that enhance the richness and quality of the world's largest product catalog utilizing cloud computing, big data analytics, machine learning algorithms, and crowd sourcing.
- Software Development Engineer, Data Mining/ Text Analysis/ Machine Learning at Amazon, Seattle, WA [Jobs] - May 1, 2013.
Develop algorithms and build systems to automatically solve a variety of Information Retrieval and Data Mining problems related to the Amazon Product Catalog.
- Text and Social Analytics Summit, Boston, June 5-6: best practice case studies [Meetings] - May 1, 2013.
Attend Text and Social Analytics Summit, Boston, June 5-6, and meet a top-notch audience of end users, learn from case studies by leading corporations, and check co-located Customer Analytics Summit. Special discount for KDnuggets readers.
- Top news, jobs in April: Top LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data; Learning from "Learning from Data" [Features] - May 1, 2013.
Top 30 LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science; IBM Accelerates Big Data; Caltech Prof. Abu-Mostafa on his MOOC course "Learning from Data" and Machine Learning;
Top jobs: Data Analytics Scientist at Archimedes; Machine Learning Scientist at Accretive Health
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in April [Features] - May 1, 2013.
GDELT: Global Data on Events, Quadrigram visualization platform, 12 new blogs, new companies, datasets, education, meetings, publications, and software.
- Analytics Intern at Bitly, New York, NY [Jobs] - Apr 30, 2013.
- Best Blogs for Data Miners and Data Scientists [Publications] ( comments) - Apr 30, 2013.
What are the best blogs for data miners and data scientists to read? I summarize the discussion on Quora and add my favorites.
- Dataminer - Analytical and Predictive Marketing at BNP Paribas Fortis, Brussel, Belgium [Jobs] - Apr 30, 2013.
L'equipe "Analytical & Predictive Marketing" joue un role cle au coeur du departement marketing de BNP Paribas Fortis Retail et Private Banking. Het team Analytical and Predicitve Marketing speelt een belangrijke rol binnen het marketing departement van Retail and Private Banking van BNP Paribas Fortis.
- Sentiment Analysis Symposium, New York, May 8, 2013 [Meetings] - Apr 29, 2013.
Attend the premier event covering social media and social intelligence for customer experience, finance, healthcare, market research, and media applications. Special discount for KDnuggets subscribers.
- New Book: The People's Web Meets NLP: Collaboratively Constructed Language Resources [Publications] - Apr 29, 2013.
This book offers comprehensive coverage of Collaboratively Constructed Language Resources (CCLRs) such as Wikipedia, Wiktionary, Linked Open Data, and crowdsourcing techniques such as Mechanical Turk.
- Top 10 KDnuggets tweets, Apt 26-28: #BigData producing Big Results for retailers; How to spot a data scientist [TopTweets] - Apr 29, 2013.
#BigData is already producing Big Results for retailers; How to spot a data scientist and what they actually do; Bitly experience on with Amazon Redshift: great for answering SQL queries fast on #BigData; Amazon: Machine Learning Scientist, analyze huge data, design scalable machine learning
- Is Data Science The End of Statistics? A Discussion [Publications] ( comments) - Apr 29, 2013.
Here is an interesting discussion on LinkedIn, started by a provocative post "Data Science: The End of Statistics?" What is the relationship between Data Science and Statistics and in what sense are "Statistics" ending?
- Top news for Apr 21-27: Top 30 LinkedIn Groups for Analytics; Machine Learning solves Parkinson's diagnosos [Features] - Apr 28, 2013.
Top 30 LinkedIn Groups for Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science; Lionsolver Machine Learning Approach to Smartphone Data Wins Parkinson Data Challenge;
Top jobs: Machine Learning Scientist at Amazon; BI Developer at Epic Systems
- Big Data Engineer at BehaviorMatrix, Blue Bell, PA (outside Philadelphia) [Jobs] - Apr 27, 2013.
A talented, energetic individual with demonstrated excellence in delivering robust solutions based on leading-edge technologies in the field of big data analytics.
- Wikidata: Wikipedia Free Knowledge Base [Software] - Apr 27, 2013.
Wikidata is a centralized knowledge base for Wikipedia and it can be read and edited by humans and machines alike. It currently has over 10M items.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 24-25: What Stephen Wolfram found by data mining a million Facebook profiles; Algorithm every Data Scientist should know [TopTweets] - Apr 26, 2013.
What Stephen Wolfram found bata mining a million Facebook profiles and how you can too; Algorithm every Data Scientist should know; #Pivotal, an ambitious $1B startup emerging from EMC and VMware, will offer #BigData Platform
- Machine Learning Scientist at Amazon, Seattle, WA [Jobs] - Apr 26, 2013.
Amazon's Search & Discovery group is looking for a Machine Learning scientist to analyze huge datasets using cloud computing and design scalable machine learning algorithms to build the world's most complete, accurate and authoritative product catalog.
- Facebook Data Mining by Stephen Wolfram [Publications] ( comments) - Apr 25, 2013.
Stephen Wolfram data mines anonymized Facebook data from over a million people who used Wolfram|Alpha personal facebook analytics. See what he found and how you can analyze your facebook data.
- Lionsolver Machine Learning Approach to Smartphone Data Wins Parkinson Data Challenge [Software] ( comments) - Apr 25, 2013.
Researchers from Lionsolver, Inc won first prize in The Michael J. Fox Foundation's $10K Parkinson Data Challenge which used smart phone to monitor disease progression. In spite of the very sparse data, the winning entry could predict incidence and monitor disease progression with 100% accuracy.
- Amazon Instant Video Content Discovery - Software Development Engineer at Amazon.com, Seattle, WA [Jobs] - Apr 25, 2013.
Work on our video personalization, recommendation, and discovery algorithms and deliver a delightful experience personalized for each customer.
- Faculty positions in Analytics at Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore [Academic] - Apr 25, 2013.
Looking for candidates with PhD in (Applied) Mathematics, Industrial Engineering, Computer Science, Econometrics, Operations Research, and related fields with expertise in Data mining of huge data sets, Statistics, and traffic management.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 22-23: Data Scientists: what they do; The Evolution of Regression Modeling Series [TopTweets] - Apr 24, 2013.
Data Scientists: what they do, the skills, the demand, and the trends; The Evolution of Regression Modeling: from Classical Linear Regression to Modern Ensemble; Tim Berners-Lee, the inventor of the Web, says JSON is the new XML :-); "12 Hours of Separation": Social networks can track anyone in just 12 hours
- Revolution R Enterprise 6.2: Teradata Connection, Automates Linear Models [News Briefs] - Apr 24, 2013.
New features include a dedicated Teradata connection and new Stepwise Regression for Big Data Linear Models, to speed up time to insight.
- Pivotal HD ODBMS Interview with Scott Yara and Florian Waas [Publications] - Apr 24, 2013.
ODBMS Editor Roberto Zicari talks to leaders of the new Pivotal about their new platform and Pivotal HD - their own Hadoop version.
- KDnuggets 13:n11, Top LinkedIn Groups in Analytics; Largest data mined; Pivotal [Publications] - Apr 24, 2013.
Top LinkedIn Analytics groups and more analytics/data mining news, including Features (8) | Software (1) | Webcasts (2) | Courses, Events (3) | Meetings (3) | Jobs (4) | Competitions (1) | Tweets (3) | NewsBriefs (2) | CFP (11)
2012 Dec |
KDnuggets News Issues for 2012