- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jun 22-28: #Bayesian #Statistics explained in Simple English; Brexit - Jun 29, 2016.
#Bayesian #Statistics explained to Beginners in Simple English; Amazing analysis of #Brexit with #MachineLearning - it is sad; 18 Useful Mobile Apps for #DataScientist; Sharp divisions between England, #Scotland in #Brexit vote suggest future UK split.
- Peeking Inside Convolutional Neural Networks - Jun 29, 2016.
This post discusses using some tricks to peek inside of the neural network, and to visualize what the individual units in a layer detect.
- Mining Twitter Data with Python Part 5: Data Visualisation Basics - Jun 29, 2016.
Part 5 of this series takes on data visualization, as we look to make sense of our data and highlight interesting insights.
- U. Chicago Center for Data Science and Public Policy: Postdoc in Natural Language Processing - Jun 29, 2016.
Are you interested in using your natural language processing skills to make a social impact? Want to work with the White House and a team from government, academia, and industry to change how job training programs are created all over the US?
- KDnuggets™ News 16:n23, Jun 29: Machine Learning Trends & Future of AI; Data Science Kaggle Walkthrough; Regularization in Logistic Regression - Jun 29, 2016.
- The Big Data Ecosystem is Too Damn Big - Jun 28, 2016.
The Big Data ecosystem is just too damn big! It's complex, redundant, and confusing. There are too many layers in the technology stack, too many standards, and too many engines. Vendors? Too many. What is the user to do?
- Civis Analytics: Data Scientist, Statistics - Jun 28, 2016.
Seeking a Data Scientist to work closely and collaboratively with analysts and engineers to develop and operationalize the techniques that quantify and solve big, meaningful problems.
- Civis Analytics: Lead Data Engineer - Jun 28, 2016.
Seeking a Lead Data Engineer, reporting to Director of Engineering provides technical, strategic and operational leadership to the organization, able build great products, with a particular focus on the data pipelines that support them.
- An Inside Update on Natural Language Processing - Jun 28, 2016.
This article is an interview with computational linguist Jason Baldridge. It's a good read for data scientists, researchers, software developers, and professionals working in media, consumer insights, and market intelligence. It's for anyone who's interested in, or needs to know about, natural language processing (NLP).
- Webinar, Jun 30: Introducing Anaconda Mosaic: Visualize. Explore. Transform. Once and Done - Jun 28, 2016.
On June 30th, Continuum Analytics Product Manager Lance Ransom will showcase how Anaconda Mosaic can empower your organization to light up your dark data. Save your spot now!
- 5 More Machine Learning Projects You Can No Longer Overlook - Jun 28, 2016.
There are a lot of popular machine learning projects out there, but many more that are not. Which of these are actively developed and worth checking out? Here is an offering of 5 such projects.
- U. of Iowa: Business Analytics & Information Systems, Lecturer - Jun 28, 2016.
Supervise 4 or more sections per academic year of the undergraduate experiential Business Analytics Capstone course. The position also includes a Director role in Tippie Analytics Cooperative. Apply by July 1. Applicants will be considered until the position is filled.
- U. of Iowa: Lecturer: Business Analytics & Information Systems - Jun 28, 2016.
Seeking lecturer positions teaching topics in business analytics and information systems in the undergraduate, Master’s, and MBA programs starting August 17, 2016. Submit application by July 1.
- Top Stories, June 20-26: New Machine Learning Book, Free Draft Chapters; Machine Learning Trends & Future of A.I. - Jun 27, 2016.
- BigDebug: Debugging Primitives for Interactive Big Data Processing in Spark - Jun 27, 2016.
An overview of a recent paper outlining BigDebug, which provides real-time interactive debugging support for Data-Intensive Scalable Computing (DISC) systems, or more particularly, Apache Spark.
- Mining Twitter Data with Python Part 4: Rugby and Term Co-occurrences - Jun 27, 2016.
Part 4 of this series employs some of the lessons learned thus far to analyze tweets related to rugby matches and term co-occurrences.
- Improving Nudity Detection and NSFW Image Recognition - Jun 25, 2016.
This post discussed improvements made in a tricky machine learning classification problem: nude and/or NSFW, or not?
- Highmark Health: Medical Economics Consultant - Jun 24, 2016.
Highmark Health is seeking a Medical Economics Consultant to support its Advanced Analytics and Reporting Department.
- Regularization in Logistic Regression: Better Fit and Better Generalization? - Jun 24, 2016.
A discussion on regularization in logistic regression, and how its usage plays into better model fit and generalization.
- Doing Data Science: A Kaggle Walkthrough Part 6 – Creating a Model - Jun 24, 2016.
In the final part of this 6 part series on the process of data science, and applying it to a Kaggle competition, building the predictive models is covered, and multiple algorithms are discussed.
- Highmark Health: Lead Decision Support Analyst - Jun 24, 2016.
Seeking a Lead Decision Support Analyst to support the Enterprise Analytics department, working closely with customers and design teams in prioritizing data and information requirements.
- Predictive Analytics World in October: Government, Business, Financial, Healthcare - Jun 24, 2016.
Plan ahead and save on Predictive Analytics World conferences this October. Early bird savings are still available, and save extra with with KDnuggets code KDN150.
- Ten Simple Rules for Effective Statistical Practice: An Overview - Jun 23, 2016.
An overview of 10 simple rules to follow to ensure proper effective statistical data analysis.
- Bank of America: Statistician - Jun 23, 2016.
Bank of America is seeking a Statistician responsible for understanding, developing, and extending quantitative models and applications in support of risk, marketing, pricing, and operations.
- From Research to Riches: Data Wrangling Lessons from Physical and Life Science - Jun 23, 2016.
With a background in bioinformatics, Christian discusses his recent transition to the world of data science and the learning curve associated with this dynamic field.
- Microsoft: Sr. Applied Data Scientist. - Jun 23, 2016.
Microsoft is innovating rapidly in online advertising by providing the industry with the state-of-the-art online advertising platform and service. Bing Ads Marketplace and Serving (MnS) team is at the core of this effort, responsible for research & development of all the algorithmic components in our paid search advertising technology stack.
- Achieving End-to-end Security for Apache Spark with Databricks - Jun 23, 2016.
The Databricks just-in-time data platform takes a holistic approach to solving the enterprise security challenge by building all the facets of security — encryption, identity management, role-based access control, data governance, and compliance standards — natively into the data platform with DBES.
- Predicting purchases at retail stores using HPE Vertica and Dataiku DSS - Jun 23, 2016.
The retail industry has been data centric for a while. With the rise of loyalty programs and digital touch points, retailers have been able to collect more and more data about their customers over time, opening up the ability to create better personalized marketing offers and promotions.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jun 15-21: Predicting UEFA Euro2016; Visual Explanation of Backprop for Neural Nets - Jun 22, 2016.
Building statistical model to predict UEFA #Euro2016; A Visual Explanation of Back Propagation Algorithm for #NeuralNetworks; Scala is the new golden child for coding and #DataScience.
- Strata + Hadoop World, New York City, Sep 26-29 – KDnuggets discount - Jun 22, 2016.
Strata + Hadoop World is where cutting-edge science and new business fundamentals intersect-and merge. It's a deep dive into emerging techniques and technologies. Get 20% off with code PCKDNG.
- Cisco 2016 Data and Analytics Conference, Sep 19-21, Chicago - Jun 22, 2016.
Learn how Cisco, its partners, and customers are developing and using new solutions for data and analytics, IoT, cloud, edge analytics, data preparation and data virtualization. Register before Aug 19 to get early bird rates.
- Machine Learning Trends and the Future of Artificial Intelligence - Jun 22, 2016.
The confluence of data flywheels, the algorithm economy, and cloud-hosted intelligence means every company can now be a data company, every company can now access algorithmic intelligence, and every app can now be an intelligent app.
- Microsoft: Senior Software Engineer. - Jun 22, 2016.
What if your job description were simply “Make tomorrow better?” Every day, we bring an insatiable curiosity to the table, challenging ourselves to reimagine what is and what can be. We drive machine intelligence. We help shape the future. We empower billions of people around the globe.
- Mining Twitter Data with Python Part 3: Term Frequencies - Jun 22, 2016.
Part 3 of this 7 part series focusing on mining Twitter data discusses the analysis of term frequencies for meaningful term extraction.
- History of Data Mining - Jun 22, 2016.
Data mining is a subfield of computer science which blends many techniques from statistics, data science, database theory and machine learning. Here are the major milestones and “firsts” in the history of data mining plus how it’s evolved and blended with data science and big data.
- Bank of Ireland: Senior Data Scientist within the Advanced Analytics Team - Jun 22, 2016.
The Bank of Ireland is seeking a team member to help maximise value from the Bank’s data assets, work in partnership with our external analytic partners, and develop new business opportunities and to improve efficiency.
- DuPont Pioneer: Data Scientist – Encirca - Jun 22, 2016.
We seek a strong data scientist with a background in math, statistics, machine learning and scientific computing to join our team. This is a critical position with the potential to make immediate, significant impact on our business.
- KDnuggets™ News 16:n22, Jun 22: Data Science Blog Contest; Free Machine Learning Ebook; Master SQL for Data Science - Jun 22, 2016.
Data Science Blog Contest; New Free Andrew Ng Machine Learning Book Under Construction; 7 Steps to Mastering SQL for Data Science; A Visual Explanation of the Back Propagation Algorithm; Mining Twitter Data with Python Part 1: Collecting Data
- KDnuggets Blog Contest: Automated Data Science and Machine Learning - Jun 21, 2016.
KDnuggets Contest looks for interesting blogs about Automated Data Science and Machine Learning, and will award money prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners. Submit your entry by July 15, 2016.
- Data Science Career Days at Metis, NYC – June 23, SF – June 30 - Jun 21, 2016.
In 12 week intensive program, Metis data science students build five projects using machine learning and statistical modeling techniques in Python, industry-level visualizations in D3, and real-world data in cloud-based SQL, no-SQL, and Hadoop databases.
- A Review of Popular Deep Learning Models - Jun 21, 2016.
This post is a concise overview of a few of the more interesting popular deep learning models to have appeared over the past year. Get up to speed and try a few of the models out for yourself.
- HPE Haven OnDemand Text Extraction API Cheat Sheet for Developers - Jun 21, 2016.
HPE Haven OnDemand provides a native API based on cURL calls, as well as numerous language-specific APIs, providing maximum flexibility for developers. This cheat sheet will cover the native and Python text extraction APIs.
- Standards-based Deployment of Predictive Analytics - Jun 21, 2016.
Using a standards-based approach to deploy predictive analytics on operational systems from mainframes to Hadoop.
- Data Science for Internet of Things course, Online or London - Jun 21, 2016.
Now it is 4th run, the "Data Science for Internet of Things" course is designed to prepare you for the role of a Data Scientist for the Internet of Things(IoT) domain. The course starts in Aug – Sep 2016 , online or in London.
- How to Compare Apples and Oranges, Part 2 – Categorical Variables - Jun 21, 2016.
In the previous article, we looked at some of the ways to compare different numerical variables. In this article, we shall look at techniques to compare categorical variables with the help of an example.
- Top Stories, June 13-19: A Visual Explanation of the Back Propagation Algorithm; Apache Spark Key Terms, Explained - Jun 20, 2016.
A Visual Explanation of the Back Propagation Algorithm for Neural Networks; Apache Spark Key Terms, Explained; What Big Data, Data Science, Deep Learning software goes together?; 10 Data Acquisition Strategies for Startups; 7 Steps to Mastering Machine Learning With Python
- Chief Data Officer Forum Insurance 2016, Sep 15, Chicago - Jun 20, 2016.
The CDO Insurance Forum will establish a focal point of discussion for CDOs, CAOs and senior data professionals to evaluate the evolving demands of big data and analytics in Insurance space. Use code CDOINSUR to save when registering.
- Chief Analytics Officer Forum, Oct 4-6, New York, NY - Jun 20, 2016.
Two days of networking, high level insight and discussion on hottest topics and challenges faced by CAOs and Senior Analytics professionals. Attend also pre-conference focus day on Machine Learning, Deep Learning and AI for Strategic Innovation.
- New Andrew Ng Machine Learning Book Under Construction, Free Draft Chapters - Jun 20, 2016.
Check out the details on Andrew Ng's new book on building machine learning systems, and find out how to get your free copy of draft chapters as they are written.
- Mining Twitter Data with Python Part 2: Text Pre-processing - Jun 20, 2016.
Part 2 of this 7 part series on mining Twitter data for a variety of use cases focuses on the pre-processing of tweet text.
- Does More Data Make Your System Smarter? Ontotext Webinars, June 23, July 7 - Jun 20, 2016.
Jun 23 webinar shows how pouring more data to your system can actually make it smarter. July webinar shows how to quickly prototype with Ontotext Dynamic Semantic Publishing platform on AWS, using your own content.
- Learn From PAW Chicago Speakers & Save on PAW New York - Jun 20, 2016.
Read exclusive interviews with PAW Chicago speakers on advanced data and analytics techniques and get early bird tickets for PAW New York in September. Use KDN150 for extra savings.
- What is Your Data Worth? On LinkedIn, Microsoft, and the Value of User Data - Jun 20, 2016.
The recent announcement of Microsoft’s acquisition of LinkedIn has raised many questions about how Microsoft will monetize this data. We examine LinkedIn value per user and compare to Google, Facebook, Yahoo, and Twitter.
- Political Data Science: Analyzing Trump, Clinton, and Sanders Tweets and Sentiment - Jun 18, 2016.
This post shares some results of political text analytics performed on Twitter data. How negative are the US Presidential candidate tweets? How does the media mention the candidates in tweets? Read on to find out!
- DuPont Pioneer: Data Visualization Scientist - Jun 17, 2016.
DuPont has a rich history of scientific discovery that has enabled countless innovations and today, we're looking for more people, in more places, to collaborate with us to make life the best that it can be.
- A Visual Explanation of the Back Propagation Algorithm for Neural Networks - Jun 17, 2016.
A concise explanation of backpropagation for neural networks is presented in elementary terms, along with explanatory visualization.
- Doing Data Science: A Kaggle Walkthrough Part 5 – Adding New Data - Jun 17, 2016.
Here is part 5 of the weekly 6 part series on doing data science in the context of a Kaggle competition, which concentrates on adding in new data.
- How to Compare Apples and Oranges – Part 1 - Jun 17, 2016.
We are always told that apples and oranges can’t be compared, they are completely different things. Learn as an analyst, how you deal with such difference and make sense of it on a daily basis.
- Connecting Data Systems and DevOps - Jun 17, 2016.
This post will explain why anyone transforming their company into a data-driven organization should care about software development best practices, even if they don’t consider themselves a software company.
- How open API economy accelerates the growth of big data and analytics - Jun 17, 2016.
An open API is available on the internet for free. We review the growth of API economy and how organizations have been realizing the potential of open APIs in transforming their business.
- Global Strategy Group: Senior Associate, Analytics - Jun 17, 2016.
Seeking a Senior Associate to work with our team to help develop new products and methodologies, and integrate analytics capabilities into GSG’s research services.
- Fraunhofer: Post-Doctoral Fellow – Building Data Analytics - Jun 17, 2016.
We seek a Post-Doctoral Fellow to work with Fraunhofer’s interdisciplinary Building Energy Technologies team to develop, test, and evaluate algorithms using CT and interval electric field data.
- Thinking About Analytics Readiness - Jun 16, 2016.
This article touches upon an important but under-discussed topic of analytics readiness, including whether and when organizations should engage in analytics.
- Nutrition & Principal Component Analysis: A Tutorial - Jun 16, 2016.
An great overview of Principle Component Analysis (PCA), with an example application in the field of nutrition.
- Webinar, Jun 24: Using Text Mining to Improve Patient Care - Jun 16, 2016.
Learn about a novel use case of applying text mining tools during and after patient rounds in a hospital, including use of text mining on a tablet computer to extract information to aid physicians on their daily visits to patients.
- Webinar, Jun 24: Bring Open Data Science Into Excel with Anaconda Fusion - Jun 16, 2016.
On June 24th, find out how to use Anaconda Fusion, part of the Anaconda Platform, to bring the power of Open Data Science into Excel. Reserve your spot now!
- 7 Steps to Mastering SQL for Data Science - Jun 16, 2016.
Follow these 7 steps to go from SQL data science newbie to seasoned practitioner quickly. No nonsense, just the necessities.
- DuPont Pioneer: Research Scientist – Data Science, Informatics - Jun 16, 2016.
Support research efforts in the genome editing, computational biology, genomics and annotation spaces and work with scientists and developers to conduct novel experiments and business processes.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jun 8-14: All-in-one Docker image for Deep Learning; Good Book list for Data lovers - Jun 15, 2016.
Good Book list for #Data lovers; OpenAI - a living collection of important and fun problems; All-in-one #Docker image for #DeepLearning; 10 Useful #Python #DataVisualization Libraries for Any Discipline;
- How Much Will A.I. Surprise Us? - Jun 15, 2016.
Why think about what neural networks (and AI in general) can do that we can already do, when he real question that we should be asking is this: What will A.I. be able to do that we can’t even dream of?
- Figuring Out the Algorithms of Intelligence - Jun 15, 2016.
Marvin Minsky, the father of AI, passed away this year. One of his inventions was the confocal microscope, which we used to take this high-resolution picture of a live brain circuit. Something in these cells allows them to automatically identify useful connections and establish useful networks out of information.
- T-Mobile: Sr. Data Scientist - Jun 15, 2016.
T-Mobile is seeking a Sr. Data Scientist for a wealth of opportunities such as partnering with numerous technical teams (engineering, strategy, finance) as well as outside partners to collaborate, test hypotheses, build proof of concepts, and turn data into information and insights for leaders across the company.
- Yale School of Management: Assistant Professor of Marketing - Jun 15, 2016.
The Yale School of Management seeks applicants for at least one faculty position in Quantitative Marketing at the Assistant Professor level. We are seeking applications from graduating students, post-docs and others who have the potential to become outstanding scholars.
- Mining Twitter Data with Python Part 1: Collecting Data - Jun 15, 2016.
Part 1 of a 7 part series focusing on mining Twitter data for a variety of use cases. This first post lays the groundwork, and focuses on data collection.
- KDnuggets™ News 16:n21, Jun 15: What Big Data, Data Science tools go together? Oppys for Machine Learning Startups - Jun 15, 2016.
What Big Data, Data Science, Deep Learning software goes together? Opportunities for Machine Learning Startups; Top NoSQL Database Engines; How Do You Identify the Right Data Scientist for Your Team?
- What Big Data, Data Science, Deep Learning software goes together? - Jun 14, 2016.
We analyze the associations between top Data Science tools, Commercial vs Free/Open Source, rank tools on R vs Python bias, find tools more associated with Big Data, those more associated with Deep Learning, and uncover strong regional differences.
- 10 Useful Python Data Visualization Libraries for Any Discipline - Jun 14, 2016.
A great overview of 10 useful Python data visualization tools. It covers some of the big ones, like matplotlib and Seaborn, but also explores some more obscure libraries, like Gleam, Leather, and missingno.
- Data Science Summit, July 12-13, San Francisco – KDnuggets offer - Jun 14, 2016.
The Data Science Summit is packed with industry experts, authors, researchers and business leaders delivering concrete examples of data science and machine learning in action. Use kdnuggets15 to save.
- 10 Data Acquisition Strategies for Startups - Jun 14, 2016.
An interesting discussion of the myriad methods in which startups may choose to acquire data, often the most overlooked and important aspect of a startup's success (or failure).