- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 23-29: One Artificial Neuron Taught to Recognize 100s of Patterns; 5 projects to learn Data Science - Nov 30, 2015.
Also 5 projects to learn #DataScience; 5 Tribes of #MachineLearning & Master #Algorithm; DataMining photos document 100 years of #smiles.
- PAW San Francisco super early bird offer will melt faster than snow - Nov 30, 2015.
Register by Friday, Dec 18 for PAW Business San Francisco while rates are frozen at up to $650 off of onsite prices. Check out with the KDnuggets code KDN150 for an additional $150 off (up to $800 off in total).
- Will Balkanization of Data Science lead to one Empire or many Republics? - Nov 30, 2015.
We examine the “Technoslavia” of the Big Data and Data Science market and consider whether it is likely to lead to a unified empire or a federation of independent republics.
- Amazon Top 20 Books in Neural Networks - Nov 30, 2015.
These are the most popular neural networks books on Amazon. Perhaps there is something of interest to you here.
- Taming the Elephant: Advice to Director, Big Data Architect - Nov 30, 2015.
Every other day, there is a new big data software is released in the market. Which one is the right to build your product? Understand how to resolve this conundrum and role of decision makers.
- Booz Allen Hamilton: Data Scientist - Nov 29, 2015.
Apply expertise in advanced analytics working with industry leading Cloud computing technologists and data scientists to solve large-scale, complex, and challenging business problems across the public and private sectors.
- Top stories for Nov 22-28: TensorFlow Disappoints; How Applications of Big Data Drive Industries - Nov 29, 2015.
TensorFlow Disappoints - Google Deep Learning falls shallow; 7 Steps to Mastering Machine Learning With Python; How Applications of Big Data Drive Industries; Using Machine Learning To Predict Gender.
- 5 Tribes of Machine Learning – Questions and Answers - Nov 27, 2015.
Leading researcher Pedro Domingos answers questions on 5 tribes of Machine Learning, Master Algorithm, No Free Lunch Theorem, Unsupervised Learning, Ensemble methods, 360-degree recommender, and more.
- How Applications of Big Data Drive Industries - Nov 27, 2015.
As big data continues to permeate our day-to-day lives, a significant shift of focus from the hype surrounding it to actually finding real value in its use. Here we have explored how it is driving the major industries including banking, healthcare, Government and entertainment.
- Devils Data Dictionary – Big Data Humor - Nov 27, 2015.
In this modern homage to Ambrose Bierce, Sterne tucks his tongue firmly in cheek and lets loose on an industry only Dilbert could love.
- Academic/Research positions in Business Analytics, Data Science, Machine Learning in November - Nov 27, 2015.
Academic/Research positions Analytics and Data Science in Singapore, Leuven, Vienna, Mannheim, Tartu, Slovenia, Pittsburgh-PA, Long Beach-CA, London, San Luis Obispo-CA, and Freiburg.
- National University of Singapore: Visiting Scientist/Research Assistant in Business Analytics - Nov 27, 2015.
The candidates must be interdisciplinary in the areas of Business Analytics and demonstrate genuine interest in solving difficult advanced research problems in Business Analytics.
- Geisinger Health System: Senior Data Science Programmer - Nov 25, 2015.
Designing, deploying, and improving infrastructure and providing direct scientific support to data scientists.
- Geisinger: High Perf Computing Data Svc Admin - Nov 25, 2015.
Use Linux to deploy, manage, and maintain tools related to informatics and to assist with management of an HPC cluster. Responsible for managing REDCap, i2b2, and SAS deployments.
- Detecting In-App Purchase Fraud with Machine Learning - Nov 25, 2015.
Hacking applications allow users to make in-app purchases for free. With help from a few big games in the GROW data network we were able to build a model that classifies each purchase as real or fraud, with a very high level of accuracy.
- OpenText Data Digest Nov 20: The Last Mile of Big Data - Nov 24, 2015.
For this week, we provide some examples of visualizations that crunch their fair share of Big Data on the back end but present it in a way that meets the Last Mile challenge.
- Using Machine Learning To Predict Gender - Nov 24, 2015.
Here is an experiment from the CrowdFlower AI team, where they used user’s tweeter account link color, description, and a single random tweet with the word “and” or “the” in it and guessed who’s behind the curtain.
- Career path explained: Big Data Hadoop DEVELOPER to ARCHITECT - Nov 24, 2015.
The path to becoming a Big Data and Hadoop Architect is fraught with major challenges and responsibilities, but here is a handy infographic to help you chart out your path.
- The hardest parts of data science - Nov 24, 2015.
The hardest part of data science is not building an accurate model or obtaining good, clean data, but defining feasible problems and coming up with reasonable ways of measuring solutions.
- City of Cincinnati: Data Scientist - Nov 23, 2015.
Help establish a predictive analytics program that expands the Office of Performance & Data Analytics initiatives to improve City services through the use of data.
- Bot or Not: an end-to-end data analysis in Python - Nov 23, 2015.
Twitter bots are programs that compose and post tweets without human intervention, and they range widely in complexity. Here we are building a classifier with pandas, NLTK, and scikit-learn to identify Twitter bots.
- Arabesque Distributed Graph Mining Platform - Nov 23, 2015.
Arabesque provides an elegant solution to the difficult problem of graph mining that lets a user easily express graph algorithms and efficiently distribute the computation.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 16-22: Dilbert discovers the perfect chart; TensorFlow Disappoints – Google Deep Learning falls shallow - Nov 23, 2015.
A standard #graph for any occasion! #Dilbert discovers the perfect chart; TensorFlow Disappoints - Google #DeepLearning falls shallow; All the #BigData tools and how to use them; KDnuggets #DataScience #Cartoon Caption Contest.
- IE Business School Innovation-based programs: Big Data for Business - Nov 23, 2015.
IE Business School programs are designed to transfer knowledge directly from the classroom to the workplace. Learn more about our upcoming Innovation-based programs, including Big Data for Business.
- Top stories for Nov 15-21: TensorFlow Disappoints – Google Deep Learning falls shallow; 7 Steps to Mastering Machine Learning With Python - Nov 22, 2015.
TensorFlow Disappoints - Google Deep Learning falls shallow; 7 Steps to Mastering Machine Learning With Python; The different data science roles in the industry; The Five Myths of Big Data.
- H2O World 2015 – Day 3 Highlights - Nov 20, 2015.
Highlights from talks delivered by machine learning experts from Fast Forward Labs, H20.ai, Kaiser and Macy's at H2O World held in Mountain View.
- Data Science Cartoon Caption Contest - Nov 20, 2015.
In honor of upcoming Thanksgiving Holiday, we present the first ever KDnuggets Cartoon Caption Contest. Please email your caption by Nov 30.
- Big RAM is eating big data – Size of datasets used for analytics - Nov 20, 2015.
Here we analysed the KDnuggets surveys on the largest datasets used by practitioners to find out need for the Big Data tools over the Big RAM.
- What is the importance of Dark Data in Big Data world? - Nov 20, 2015.
Dark data is a subset of big data, but it constitutes the biggest portion of the total volume of big data collected by organizations in a year. We will discuss about what opportunities this holds for an organization.
- Arrowstreet Capital: Research Associate - Nov 19, 2015.
Join collaborative, intellectually rigorous team responsible for coming up with investment ideas, coding ideas into signals, and producing return and risk forecasts to drive trading decisions.
- Wharton: Bring Customer Lifetime Value to Life, Feb 18-19 - Nov 19, 2015.
Customer Lifetime Value (CLV) is a critical concept for every organization that aspires to be customer centric. This intensive workshop for marketing analytics professionals is taught by leading Wharton professor Peter Fader, Feb 18-19, in Philadelphia.
- H2O World 2015 – Day 2 Highlights - Nov 19, 2015.
Highlights from talks delivered by machine learning experts from H20.ai, Jawbone, Stanford, Quora & PayPal at H2O World held in Mountain View.
- Deep Learning for Visual Question Answering - Nov 19, 2015.
Here we discuss about the Visual Question Answering problem, and I’ll also present neural network based approaches for same.
- 7 Steps to Mastering Machine Learning With Python - Nov 19, 2015.
There are many Python machine learning resources freely available online. Where to begin? How to proceed? Go from zero to Python machine learning hero in 7 steps!
- Hackerday – Stay Updated in your Career through Hands-On Projects - Nov 19, 2015.
Hackerday is a platform at DeZyre – which allows you to come together as a group, code and work on day long hackathons, where you will be guided by an industry expert, as you are coding. Next Hackerday session Nov 21.
- Disney Parks & Resorts: Principal, Decision Science - Nov 18, 2015.
The Decision Science team specializes in creating innovative scientific models and data-driven decision support tools to optimize business decisions.
- On Political Economy and Data Science: When A Discipline Is Not Enough - Nov 18, 2015.
Most non-trivial Data Science applications are interdisciplinary requiring collaboration across disciplines. We are just beginning to understand the nature of interdisciplinarity in Data Science and the risks of misunderstanding.
- Starbucks: Data Scientist Principal, Business Strategy - Nov 18, 2015.
You will be a critical thought leader of the data science practice at one of the most recognized and celebrated brands in the world.
- The Data Science Conference 2015 Highlights - Nov 18, 2015.
Here are the highlights from The Data Science Conference 2015, Nov 12-13 at University of Chicago. A two-day conference on Data Science, big data, machine learning, artificial intelligence & predictive modeling discussions -"for professionals" by professionals.
- KDnuggets™ News 15:n38, Nov 18: TensorFlow Disappoints; Spark with Python; Deep Learning; Top 20 Books - Nov 18, 2015.
TensorFlow Disappoints - Google Deep Learning falls shallow; Introduction to Spark with Python; A Statistical View of Deep Learning; Amazon Top 20 Books in Databases & Big Data.
- Predictive Analytics for Workforce, San Francisco, Apr 3-6, 2016 - Nov 17, 2015.
Plan to attend the 2nd annual Predictive Analytics World for Workforce conference, San Francisco, April 3-6, 2016 and save $150 with code KDN150.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 10-16: 5 Books Every #Data Professional Needs; TensorFlow Disappoints – Google Deep Learning falls shallow - Nov 17, 2015.
Deep Learning for #Visual Question Answering; 5 Books Every #Data Professional Needs; Deep, excellent overview: A Statistical View of #DeepLearning; TensorFlow Disappoints - Google #DeepLearning falls shallow.
- OpenText Data Digest Nov 13: Making Relevant Data Easy to See - Nov 17, 2015.
For this week, we provide some examples of how complex data can be displayed in an easy-to-understand fashion.
- The different data science roles in the industry - Nov 17, 2015.
Data science roles and responsibilities are diverse and skills required for them vary considerably. Here, we have described the different data science roles along with the skill set, technical knowledge and mindset required to carry it.
- Improve your processes with statistical models – get the primer - Nov 17, 2015.
Get technical primer with best practices to interactively explore the patterns in your data, build useful statistical models of these patterns, and visually interact with these models.
- 2016 Conferences on Big Data, Predictive Analytics - Nov 17, 2015.
Mark your calendar for 2016 PAW conferences on predictive analytics (in business, workforce, manufacturing, finance, and healthcare), data science, big data, digital analytics, text analytics, and more. Save with code KDN150.
- Amazon Top 20 Books in Databases & Big Data - Nov 17, 2015.
These are the most popular database & big data books on Amazon. Some interesting options here, so hopefully you find something useful to your current requirements.
- Data By the Bay: Data Science and Engineering in Four Directions - Nov 16, 2015.
The main goal of Data By the Bay is connecting the best data engineers, data scientists and data-driven startup leaders with each other. Co-located conferences will focus on Data, Text, Democracy, AI and IoT, and Life Sciences, May 17 - 20, 2016.
- H2O World 2015 – Day 1 Highlights - Nov 16, 2015.
Highlights from talks and tutorials delivered by machine learning experts at H2O World 2015 held in Mountain View.
- The Five Myths of Big Data - Nov 16, 2015.
Here, we are bursting couple of the myths which have been built around the big data. Ranging from does it predicts future, it is only for big businesses and is it a better data?
- TensorFlow Disappoints – Google Deep Learning falls shallow - Nov 16, 2015.
Google recently open-sourced its TensorFlow machine learning library, which aims to bring large-scale, distributed machine learning and deep learning to everyone. But does it deliver?
- Deep Learning, Language Understanding, and the Quest for Human Capacity Cognitive Computing - Nov 16, 2015.
To develop cognitive computing at human capacity understanding, deep learning research must heed what certain aspects of human symbol processing reveal about the architecture of the human mind.
- Top stories for Nov 8-14: 5 Best Machine Learning APIs; A Statistical View of Deep Learning - Nov 15, 2015.
5 Best Machine Learning APIs for Data Science; Apache Spark Machine Learning with Large Data; A Statistical View of Deep Learning; Introduction to Spark with Python.
- Boeing: Big Data Architect – Level 4/5 - Nov 14, 2015.
Create scalable data platforms that enable research and development (R&D) supporting commercial and defense programs.
- Boeing: Machine Learning Technologist – Level 4/5 - Nov 14, 2015.
A successful candidate will have background in statistics, probability, mathematics, databases, and strong programming skills, including Python, R, Matlab, C, C++, Java are necessary, and will join Boeing R&D center.
- Recurrent Neural Net describes images like Taylor Swift or Romantic Novel - Nov 14, 2015.
Deep learning has recently, and famously, taken on painting by imitating artists. We now find recurrent neural networks writing stories corresponding to images, in the style of romance novels or Taylor Swift lyrics.
- University of Tartu, Estonia: Associate Professor of Data Mining - Nov 13, 2015.
We are looking for candidates with a solid research track record in the fields of data mining and/or machine learning including publications in top venues, and a record of excellence in teaching and student supervision. Apply by Dec 2.
- Hiring? Approving Mortgages? It’s the Same Thing (Risk …) - Nov 13, 2015.
Traditionally hiring and approving mortgage are completely different problems. But, when you look at them from a data science perspective, both things do have similar characteristics.
- Getting started with Python and Apache Flink - Nov 13, 2015.
Apache Flink built on top of the distributed streaming dataflow architecture, which helps to crunch massive velocity and volume data sets. With version 1.0 it provided python API, learn how to write a simple Flink application in python.
- A Statistical View of Deep Learning - Nov 13, 2015.
A statistical overview of deep learning, with a focus on testing wide-held beliefs, highlighting statistical connections, and the unseen implications of deep learning. The post links to 6 articles covering a number of related topics.
- A Community Event for Innovative Spark Apps: A Datapalooza Dispatch - Nov 12, 2015.
Datapalooza, which is holding its inaugural event this week in San Francisco, is proving to be a seedbed for innovation apps in the Spark community. James Kobielus describes the highlights.
- Jet: Big Data Engineer - Nov 12, 2015.
You'll be responsible for helping to build a world class data platform to collect, process, and manage a vast amount of information generated by Jet's rapidly growing business.
- A*STAR Institute for Infocomm Research (I2R), Singapore: Scientist, Data Analytics - Nov 12, 2015.
I2R mission is to be the globally preferred source of innovations in Interactive Secured Information, Content and Services Anytime Anywhere through research by passionate people dedicated to Singapore economic success.
- Accenture (Singapore): Customer Analytics and CVM APAC Lead - Nov 12, 2015.
Join Accenture and help transform leading organizations and communities around the world. Use deep functional expertise in segmentation models, customer analytics, etc to help sales opportunities.
- Rakuten (Singapore): Data Scientist - Nov 12, 2015.
Rakuten Institute of Technology, a think tank for the global Rakuten Group, is looking for Researchers who are passionate about data and technology.
- Avoiding Tunnel Vision in Peer Comparisons - Nov 12, 2015.
Comparing yourself to peers (benchmarking) lets you understand how you’re doing and identify performance gaps. Benchmarking is widespread but frequently misses useful and actionable insights. The proposed approach helps avoid the tunnel vision in benchmarking.
- Singapore Data Analytics, Info Security careers - Nov 12, 2015.
Learn about many opportunities in Data Analytics and Info Security careers in Singapore and about its Smart Nation initiative.
- Top Coursera Data Science Specializations: Comparison & Exclusive Insight - Nov 12, 2015.
There are more MOOC learning options for Data Scientists today than ever. Take a tour of Coursera's 8 Data Science specializations, with exclusive insight from program coordinators and course instructors.
- Customer Study – Dealing with dirty, smelly, horrible data? - Nov 12, 2015.
If you have hands on experience with data cleaning and data engineering, Microsoft Data Platform group would love to hear about your challenges. This is for early influence on product development (not sales).
- inVenture: Data Analyst - Nov 11, 2015.
Inventure is building the future of credit in emerging markets. We have helped tens of thousands of people access instant loans for growing their businesses, and will reach millions more in the next few years.
- How to discover stolen data using Hadoop and Big data? - Nov 11, 2015.
We discuss recent data breaches and present an approach that uses Hadoop and data fingerprint matching techniques to discover stolen data.
- Understanding Convolutional Neural Networks for NLP - Nov 11, 2015.
Dive into the world of Convolution Neural Networks (CNN), learn how they work, how to apply them for NLP, and how to tune CNN hyperparameters for best performance.
- Introduction to Spark with Python - Nov 11, 2015.
Get a handle on using Python with Spark with this hands-on data processing tutorial.
- KDnuggets™ News 15:n37, Nov 11: 5 Best Machine Learning APIs; Beginners Guide: Apache Spark Machine Learning - Nov 11, 2015.
5 Best Machine Learning APIs for Data Science; Beginners Guide: Apache Spark Machine Learning with Large Data; Poll: Ethics should be a part of Data Science Training; Cartoon: It all started with the iPhone answering my email.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 3-9: 500 Deep Learning Papers, Graphviz and Python; Facebook App can answer questions on content of photos - Nov 10, 2015.
500 #DeepLearning Papers, Graphviz and Python; Skills You Need To Become a $240K+ Unicorn Data Scientist: n1 is Apache #Spark; Cartoon: It all started with the iPhone answering my Gmail; Overview of Python Visualization Tools
- 5 Tribes of Machine Learning: Nov 24 ACM Webinar with Pedro Domingos, moderated by Gregory Piatetsky - Nov 10, 2015.
Prof. Pedro Domingos, a leading AI/Machine Learning researcher will talk about 5 main schools in machine learning, each with its own master algorithm, a possible universal Master Algorithm, and implications for society. KDnuggets Editor Gregory Piatetsky will moderate.
- Predictive Analytics World for Business, San Francisco, April 3-7, 2016 – Introducing Keynote Speakers - Nov 10, 2015.
Join the top predictive analytics experts, practitioners, authors and business thought leaders who deploy predictive modeling to improve business outcomes. Use code KDN150 for additional savings.
- Visual Data Mining with Item Explorer - Nov 10, 2015.
Item explorer is an open source visual data mining tool based on d3.js. It enables the user to interactively explore combinatorial questions such as analyzing frequent item sets.
- Fast Big Data: Apache Flink vs Apache Spark for Streaming Data - Nov 10, 2015.
Real-time stream processing has been gaining momentum in recent past, and major tools which are enabling it are Apache Spark and Apache Flink. Learn with the help of a case study about Data processing, Data Flow, Data management using these tools.
- Stanford Big Data Mining Certificates Online - Nov 10, 2015.
Earn online certificates in Mining Massive Data Sets, Data Mining, Optimization, and more while learning from world-renowned Stanford experts.