- Interview: Amy Gaskins, AVP, MetLife on Smarter Analytics through Qualitative Research - Jul 22, 2014.
We discuss the relevance of qualitative research for customer intelligence, MetLife Infinity, and the increasing trend of behavior-based customer segmentation.
- Business Intelligence Innovation Summit 2014 Chicago: Day 1 Highlights - Jul 22, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Business Intelligence leaders from Boeing, Salesforce, Wells Fargo, and Citibank on day 1 of Business Intelligence Innovation Summit 2014 in Chicago.
- DueDil: Front-end Engineer, Analytics - Jul 22, 2014.
Devise and implementing activity tracking, design insights-driven features, implement controlled experiments and help understand user behavior and improve the product.
- Swisscom: Data Scientist - Jul 22, 2014.
Make sure that Swisscom is always a step ahead - use state-of-the-art techniques to provide game-changing insights from huge data sets.
- Affinio: Sr. Software Engineer, Machine Learning and Big Data - Jul 22, 2014.
Join award-winning Affinio machine learning and big data team to design, plan and develop big-data driven prototypes for new and augmented products.
- Spotting Bad Data Visualizations - Jul 22, 2014.
Good (or bad) Data visualizations can significantly help (or hurt) your case. Learn more about how poorly people can spot bad data visualizations.
- Hands-on Data Mining Training, Boston, NYC, Toronto, Detroit, other locations, $35 - Jul 22, 2014.
Get hands-on data mining training on topics like regression, classification, decision trees, and other techniques in this course conducted by Salford Systems.
- NYU Stern Master of Science in Business Analytics - Jul 22, 2014.
The NYU Stern MS in Business Analytics teaches experienced professionals how to understand the role of evidence-based data in decision-making and to leverage data as a valuable strategic asset. Learn more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jul 18-20: Baby steps in Learning Python; 7 Steps for Learning Data Mining - Jul 21, 2014.
Baby steps in learning #Python for data analysis; My 7 Steps for Learning Data Mining and Data Science - now in Techopedia; A good collection of #MachineLearning tools in #Python; Understanding Random Forests: From Theory to Practice - implementation.
- Microsoft: Data Scientist - Jul 21, 2014.
Do exciting Machine Learning in the Cloud! Join a fast paced data science team in the Microsoft Cloud + Enterprise organization building machine learning powered intelligent web services.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – July 22 and beyond - Jul 21, 2014.
Data Visualization, Hadoop and Hadoop 2.0, R, Apache Spark, How Can Analytics Improve Business, The Grammar and Graphics of Data Science, Data Mining: Failure To Launch and more.
- Innocentive Challenge: Novel Approaches for Predicting Life Expectancy - Jul 21, 2014.
Help develop novel methods for life expectancy prediction without using traditional medical records, invasive tests, or examinations in this Innocentive Challenge. Submissions due by August 4th.
- Top stories for Jul 13-19 - Jul 20, 2014.
Cartoon: Facebook data science experiment and Happy Cats; GraphLab Create: large-scale machine learning platform for graph, structured, and text data; MicroStrategy Analytics Desktop - visual tool, free download; Interview: Marc Smith on Why We Need Open Tools for Social Networks.
- Metis Data Science Bootcamp, New York, 12 weeks - Jul 19, 2014.
Learn Data Science in 12 weeks with in-person instruction + ongoing career coaching + job placement support. Apply by Aug 11, 2014.
- Future of Consumer Intelligence 2014: Day 1 Highlights - Jul 19, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Market Research leaders from H(app)athon Project, Socratic Technologies, TNS, PepsiCo on day 1 of Future of Consumer Intelligence 2014 in Los Angeles.
- Interview: Cliff Lyon, Stubhub on Mastering Recommendation & Personalization Analytics Part 2 - Jul 19, 2014.
We discuss current trends, future vision, interesting correlations, privacy concerns, and advice for Data Science practitioners.
- Interview: Cliff Lyon, Stubhub on Mastering the Art of Recommendation and Personalization Analytics - Jul 18, 2014.
We discuss challenges in designing recommendation and personalization systems, how to select the right metrics, and learning regarding presentation of recommendation on different channels.
- U. Antwerpen: PhD Position, Data mining for tax fraud detection - Jul 18, 2014.
Develop new fraud detection techniques for historical data to help combat tax fraud in this PhD position at U. Antwerpen. Apply by August 10th, 2014.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jul 16-17: An awesome list of Big Data frameworks - Jul 18, 2014.
An awesome GitHub list of #BigData frameworks, resources, and more; 15 interviews with 15 data scientists; 14 definitions of data scientist, from funny to serious; Revised standards for statistical evidence.
- MicroStrategy Analytics Desktop – visual tool, free download - Jul 18, 2014.
MicroStrategy Analytics Desktop is a fast, easy, and beautiful way to explore data and share your insights. Effortlessly build dashboards with a wide range of interactive visualizations. Free download.
- Manufacturing Analytics Summit 2014 Chicago: Day 2 Highlights - Jul 17, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Analytics leaders from World Fuel Services, Vigilent Corporation, Caterpillar and SunEdison on day 2 of Manufacturing Analytics Summit 2014 in Chicago.
- Poll Results: Largest Dataset Analyzed surprisingly stable - Jul 17, 2014.
The results of KDnuggets annual poll on Largest Dataset Analyzed show surprising stability over the last 3 years, with about 54% of answers in GB range, and confirm the gap between the internet-scale data miners and the rest.
- Interview: Piero Ferrante, BCBS on Why Healthcare is Rich in Data but Poor in Information - Jul 17, 2014.
We discuss role of analytics in healthcare payer firms, major challenges in leveraging healthcare data, shift to value-based payments, personal motivation towards analytics, career advice and more.
- Dear CIO, what you have is NOT a Data Lake - Jul 17, 2014.
Data Lakes are often the ideal structure of a company's big data, but the reality is that data is often split into data puddles. Xurmo seeks to eliminate this by integrating Data Virtualization into the Data Lake.
- Starcom-Novartis: Measure Manager - Jul 17, 2014.
Responsible for ongoing analysis of business data, syndicated media data, digital data, primary research studies, and client business metrics.
- IEEE ICDM Research Contributions and Outstanding Service 2014 Awards, Nominations due Aug 15 - Jul 17, 2014.
The IEEE ICDM Research Contributions Award recognizes influential research contributions to the field of data mining. The Outstanding Service Award is for major service contributions that have promoted data mining as a field and ICDM as the world premier research conference in data mining.
- Wharton: Strategic Value of Customer Relationships, online course - Jul 17, 2014.
In 8-week online program taught by Wharton marketing professor Peter Fader, learn how to decipher the streams of customer data flowing into your company.
- PredictionIO raised $2.5M for Open Source Machine Learning Server - Jul 17, 2014.
An open source machine learning server, PredictionIO, has raised $2.5M to help build smarter application everywhere. It seems that “smarter” is the new sexy.
- RapidMiner World Boston – August 18-21, Boston, MA, USA - Jul 17, 2014.
Attend RapidMiner World Boston to discuss predictive analytics, big data and data mining, enjoy presentations from industry leaders, and advance your knowledge of RapidMiner and advanced analytics.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jul 14-15: 5 R training programs; Making sense of text analytics - Jul 16, 2014.
Top 10 KDnuggets tweets, July 14-15: 5 R training programs; Making sense of text analytics; Watch: Machine Learning Summer School Pittsburgh 2014; US "Data Scientist" average salary up over 10%, to $112K.
- Apple: Senior Developer and Architect – Maps Services - Jul 16, 2014.
Support and grow backend services that support Apple Maps. Ideal candidate would have experience with system architecture, design, implementation, and testing of individual components but also be comfortable with multiple scripting languages.
- Starcom (SMG Performance Marketing): Analyst, Advanced Analytics - Jul 16, 2014.
Be a major contributor of the design, development and on-going maintenance of all advanced analytics and tool building for clients across all media types, working towards the development of a data-driven analysis approach.
- KDnuggets 14:n18, Cartoon: Facebook experiment and Cats; Data Mining “Nobel Prize” - Jul 16, 2014.
KDnuggets Analytics, Data mining, and Data Science stories, including Features, Software, Opinions, News, Webcasts, Courses, Meetings, Jobs, Tweets, and CFP.
- OnlyBoth MLB Baseball Knowledge Discovery Application - Jul 15, 2014.
Baseball fans and machine learning enthusiasts can now find interesting insights about any player in baseball history using OnlyBoth Baseball - a free web and mobile app.
- Making sense of text analytics - Jul 15, 2014.
Text Analytics and Sentiment Mining Using SAS course teaches you how to organize, manage and mine textual data to extract the best information to improve your business. Atlanta in August and Rockville in October.
- Big Data TechCon, The How-To Conference, Oct 27-29, San Francisco - Jul 15, 2014.
Plan now to attend Big Data TechCon in San Francisco, to learn HOW-TO accommodate the terabytes and petabytes of data, learn the latest big data technologies, mingle and network, and be inspired by keynotes.
- PAW: Predictive Analytics World Healthcare, Oct 6-7, Boston - Jul 15, 2014.
To learn more about healthcare analytics, join us at Predictive Analytics World for Healthcare in Boston, and be sure to use special KDnuggets discount.
- GraphLab Create: large-scale machine learning platform for graph, structured, and text data - Jul 15, 2014.
GraphLab Create 1.0 brings large-scale machine learning capabilities to enterprises, and is the first to handle graph, structured, and text data in one platform.
- Disney | ABC TV Group: Principal Data Scientist - Jul 15, 2014.
Design and manage the execution of data analysis and modeling projects aimed at solving high-impact business problems for Disney/ABC TV group media networks.
- Unity Technologies: Big Data Backend Engineer - Jul 15, 2014.
This position offers the unique opportunity of building a data intelligence platform on top of an existing but untapped dataset of unprecedented size and fidelity.
- Data Analytics Week, Nov 10-13, Las Vegas - Jul 15, 2014.
Join Data Analytics Week in Las Vegas, Nov 10-13, to raise your analytics expertise, participate in valuable networking and idea sharing. Special KDnuggets discount.
- Interview: Marc Smith, Chief Social Scientist, Connected Action, on Why We Need Open Tools for Social Networks - Jul 14, 2014.
We discuss NodeXL impact stories, upcoming NodeXL features, importance of an open environment, future of social media analytics, advice for novice researchers and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jul 11-13: Avoid Dilbert “core competency”; You may never be anonymous in a #BigData world - Jul 14, 2014.
Avoid automating things that you should not be doing; You may never be truly anonymous in a #BigData world; Why Argentina could not win the #WorldCup2014 cleanly? The OpenCPU System, a big step towards a universal interface for #BigData.
- Manufacturing Analytics Summit 2014 Chicago: Day 1 Highlights - Jul 14, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Analytics leaders from McCormick, HP, Patheon and Boeing on day 1 of Manufacturing Analytics Summit 2014 in Chicago.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – July 15 and beyond - Jul 14, 2014.
Hadoop, Data Curation, Text Mining, Driving business value with text analytics, SQL on Hadoop, Graph Analytics on Hadoop, Apache Spark, How Can Analytics Improve Business, and more.
- BIDMach machine learning toolkit - Jul 14, 2014.
BIDMach machine learning toolkit offers "rooflined" (optimized to the limit) compute primitives and competitive performance on learning tasks like regression, clustering, classification, and matrix factorization.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jul 7-10: IBM #Watson Swear Filter; How Birth Year Influences Political Views - Jul 13, 2014.
Appropriate after #BrazilvsGermany - IBM #Watson gets a Swear Filter; How Birth Year Influences Political Views; Analytics methods that "think" like Humans; Why lists of experts in Statistics, Data Science rarely intersect.
- Top stories for Jul 6-12 - Jul 13, 2014.
Cartoon: Facebook data science experiment and Happy Cats; Data Mining/Data Science "Nobel Prize": ACM SIGKDD 2014 Innovation Award to Pedro Domingos; How Xbox, Big Data & Statistical Analysis Can Measure Public Opinion.
- Interview: Amy Gershkoff, Director of Customer Analytics & Insights, eBay on How to Design Custom In-House BI Tools - Jul 11, 2014.
We discuss key principles for designing business intelligence tools, exploring causation based on correlation insights, attributes of future Analytics leaders, interesting Big Data trends, important qualities in data scientists and more.
- Business Analytics Innovation Summit 2014 Chicago: Day 2 Highlights - Jul 11, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Business Analytics leaders from State of Illinois, Navistar, BMO Harris Bank and McGraw Hill Education on day 2 of Business Analytics Innovation Summit 2014 in Chicago.
- Chief Data Officer Summit 2014 – Day 2 Highlights - Jul 11, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Data Governance experts from Visa, Bing, San Francisco County, and RS Investments at Chief Data Officer Summit 2014 in San Francisco, CA.
- Modern Analytics: Senior Analytics Consultant - Jul 11, 2014.
This full-time consulting role provides thought leadership and hands-on support for day-to-day analytic operations to key clients. San Diego, CA.
- Modern Analytics: Intermediate Statistician/SAS Programmer - Jul 11, 2014.
This full-time consulting role works closely with clients during the development and implementation of statistical, score-based, and empirical models to provide high-quality statistical modeling support. San Diego, CA.
- How Xbox, Big Data & Statistical Analysis Can Measure Public Opinion - Jul 11, 2014.
Could the Xbox gaming platform and Big Data hold the key to generating accurate measures of public opinion, such as election polling? A team of statistical scientists think so.
- D50 Media: Senior Tableau Developer - Jul 10, 2014.
Working with industry leading clients, use large data sets to build visual representations of the data to measure campaign performance and make data-driven marketing decisions.
- Data Mining/Data Science “Nobel Prize”: ACM SIGKDD 2014 Innovation Award to Pedro Domingos - Jul 10, 2014.
KDD 2014 Innovation Award, the highest award for technical excellence in the field of Data Mining and Data Science, was awarded to Prof. Pedro Domingos for his foundational research in data stream analysis, cost-sensitive classification, adversarial learning, and Markov logic networks.
- Pew Research Center: Director, Pew Research Center Labs - Jul 10, 2014.
Lead the creation of Labs that will provide the expertise to experiment with new data sets and seek out new research methods and opportunities that complement and expand our traditional research agenda.
- Webinar: How Can Analytics Improve Business? - Jul 10, 2014.
Register for this episode with host Eric Kavanagh, and leading analysts Dr. Robin Bloor and Dr. Kirk Borne to learn critical success factors for using analytics effectively.
- Big Data Innovation Summit returns to Boston, Sep 25-26 - Jul 10, 2014.
Big Data Innovation Summit returns to Boston on Sep 25-26, 2014, with 8 tracks and over 80 speakers from top companies and organizations. Get Early Bird pass by July 18.
- Interview: Dave Marvit, Innovation Strategy Consultant, Fujitsu on Privacy and Sentiment Analysis challenges - Jul 9, 2014.
We discuss the modern sentiment analysis challenges, how to address privacy concerns, Big Data predictions and more.
- Business Analytics Innovation Summit 2014 Chicago: Day 1 Highlights - Jul 9, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Business Analytics leaders from Bank of America, Northern Trust, AOL and Liberty Mutual on day 1 of Business Analytics Innovation Summit 2014 in Chicago.
- June 2014 Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining Acquisitions and Startups Activity - Jul 9, 2014.
June 2014 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: MapR, CloudPhysics, Clari, ThoughtSpot, SiSense, Elasticsearch, Trifacta, @CBinsights startup post-mortem lessons, and more.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – July 8 and beyond - Jul 8, 2014.
Machine Learning w. SAS and Hadoop, Data Lakes, Quality First, MongoDB, Text Mining, Driving business value with text analytics, Graph Analytics on Hadoop, and more.
- Webinar: Driving business value with text analytics - Jul 8, 2014.
Learn from Toyota and Nordstrom experts who successfully used text analytics to really understand their customers behavior, make more accurate data-driven strategic decisions, and get ROI on marketing.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jul 4-6: Cartoon: Facebook Data Science and happy cats; plyrmr makes R work seamlessly with Hadoop - Jul 8, 2014.
KDnuggets Cartoon examines happy kittens and Facebook emotion manipulation data science experiment; plyrmr package for making R work seamlessly with Hadoop; Useful for #DataScience: Simple script from setting up R, Git, and Jags on Amazon EC2; How companies use R to compete.
- Top stories for Jun 29 – Jul 5 - Jul 6, 2014.
Do you need a Masters Degree to become a Data Scientist?; Is "Data Scientist" more than "Data Analyst" ?; When Watson Meets Machine Learning; 100 Big Data Companies Analyzed.
- Cartoon: Facebook data science experiment and Happy Cats - Jul 5, 2014.
New KDnuggets cartoon looks at the Facebook recent data science experiment on emotion manipulation and the importance of happy kittens.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jul 2-3: Tutorial in Gradient boosting; Data Analytics, #BigData Experts to follow - Jul 4, 2014.
For advanced Data Scientists: Tutorial in Gradient boosting machines; 33 most notable Data Scientists on Twitter; Leada, Berkeley-based startup, offers a platform to Practice Data Science.
- Salford Systems: Marketing Statistician - Jul 3, 2014.
Passionate and enthusiastic about statistics and analytics, enjoy solving problems and creating educational content, have excellent communication skills and the ability to work with technical and marketing departments.
- A Malta technology startup: Data Scientist - Jul 3, 2014.
Looking for a Data Scientist who is an analytical, statistics loving, number cruncher who is driven and likes to work with technology, statistics, mathematics and business.
- Top stories in June: Does Deep Learning Have Deep Flaws? Cartoon: Big Data and World Cup - Jul 3, 2014.
Does Deep Learning Have Deep Flaws? Cartoon: Big Data and World Cup Football; KDnuggets 15th Annual Data Mining Software Poll: RapidMiner Continues To Lead; The Cardinal Sin of Data Mining and Data Science: Overfitting.
- Booking: Data Scientist - Jul 2, 2014.
Help steer the improvements of our products, give strategy perspective to our teams, and provide business understanding to the organization based on your data analysis.
- When Watson Meets Machine Learning - Jul 2, 2014.
Our report on a recent Cognitive Systems meetup co-sponsored by IBM Watson and NYU Center for Data Science, IBM Watson Ecosystem, and machine learning applications, from healthcare to cognitive toys. You will want Fang!
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jun 30 – Jul 1: Is “Data Scientist” more than “Data Analyst”? Good list of 41 Big Data Influencers - Jul 2, 2014.
Is "Data Scientist" more than "Data Analyst"? ; 41 Big Data Influencers - Journalists, Public Sector, Industry, Academia; Alteryx and Databricks to lead development of Apache SparkR ; Top data mining researcher @Jure Leskovec lecture on Webgraph structure.
- KDnuggets 14:n17, Need MS to be a Data Scientist? 100 Big Data Companies Analyzed - Jul 2, 2014.
KDnuggets Analytics, Data mining, and Data Science stories, including Features, Software, Opinions, News, Webcasts, Courses, Meetings and Reports, Jobs, Publications, Tweets, and CFP.
- July-December 2014 Meetings in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science - Jul 2, 2014.
Coming soon: GraphLab, TDWI, ASONAM, KDD-2014 Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, DataWeek + API World, PAW Government, JMP Discovery Summit, and many more. Boston is the Big Data hub with the most meetings.
- Behind the scenes insights with data mining expert Gordon Linoff - Jul 2, 2014.
Gordon Linoff is a widely respected thought leader, practitioner and teacher in the area of data mining. Register for his 2014 classes in Chicago, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Atlanta, or Dallas.
- PAW: Predictive Analytics World Boston, Oct 5-9 - Jul 1, 2014.
Tired of using old predictive modeling tools? Hear the Chief Scientist at Mail Chimp discuss his experience building successful models and what it means to "lead from the back" in predictive modeling.
- Is “Data Scientist” more than “Data Analyst” ? - Jul 1, 2014.
Data Scientists and Data Analysts have a number of skills unique to their positions, with analysts focusing more on creating business value and data scientists including simulation and optimization in their jobs.
- BlueJeans: Senior Data Analyst – Business Insights - Jul 1, 2014.
Do you like to think out of the box? Do you have a passion for analytically-based business decisions? If so, then consider a career move to Blue Jeans in Mountain View.