- Analytics Researcher, Adobe Research at Adobe, San Jose, CA [Jobs] - Dec 11, 2013.
Research the next generation digital marketing applications and products using large-scale machine learning, statistical-relational modeling, location prediction and social networks analysis.
- Rexer Analytics releases 2013 Data Miner Survey Summary Report [News, Software] - Dec 11, 2013.
Highlights include Focus on CRM, Big Data perhaps not so big, The Ascendance of R, Challenges in the use of analytics, High Job Satisfaction, and a ranking of analytics software by several measures, including Ease-of-use and cost.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 9-10: European Travel Patterns; Cloudera resources for Data Science beginners [Publications] - Dec 11, 2013.
European Travel Patterns; Cloudera resources for Data Science beginners; New Book: A Programmer Guide to Data Mining - free download; 3 stages of Big Data to help clarify the confusion
- Product Analyst, Behance at Adobe, Soho, New York, NY [Jobs] - Dec 11, 2013.
Work with product, business, community and development teams to define, analyze and refine KPIs for overall product and new features. Drive the creation of a robust analytics tech stack to log and analyze all product data.
- KDnuggets 13:n30, R / Python switch? 3 Stages of Big Data; Statistics disconnect [Publications] - Dec 11, 2013.
New Poll: Did you switch between R and Python; 3 Stages of Big Data; Why statistical community is disconnected from Big Data and how to fix it; Why RapidMiner? By Usama Fayyad; and more analytics/data mining news
- New Book: RapidMiner: Data Mining Use Cases and Business Analytics Applications [Publications] - Dec 10, 2013.
This book provides an in-depth introduction to the application of data mining and analytics techniques in science, medicine, industry, commerce, and other sectors.
- Discover the power of business analytics [Courses, Events] - Dec 10, 2013.
SAS Business Knowledge Series offers courses by top industry experts on latest business practices, concepts, and techniques.
- Webinar: Data Mining: Failure to Launch [Dec 18] [Courses, Events] - Dec 10, 2013.
Learn how to get started with predictive modeling and overcome strategic and tactical limitations that cause data mining projects to fall short of their potential. Next webinar is Dec 18.
- TMA Courses in Data Analytics [Mar: Orlando; Apr: LA] [Courses, Events] - Dec 10, 2013.
Get up to speed in data mining faster and more effectively than with any other training program available. Next courses in Orlando and LA.
- Online MS in Predictive Analytics at DePaul: 4 concentrations [Courses, Events] - Dec 9, 2013.
The MS in Predictive Analytics at DePaul University addresses the growing demand for data scientists with 4 timely and in-demand concentrations: Marketing, Computational Methods, Hospitality, and Health-Care Analytics.
- Multiple Data Science, Data Mining jobs at Bosch, Palo Alto, CA [Jobs] - Dec 9, 2013.
From power tools to automobiles, health monitoring machines to wind turbines, our Big Data group is focused on using expertise in data mining and machine learning to improve lives through our products.
- New Book: A Programmer Guide to Data Mining - Free Download [Publications] - Dec 9, 2013.
New book "A Programmer Guide to Data Mining" - a guide to practical data mining, collective intelligence, and building recommendation systems by Ron Zacharski. Free download of all chapters.
- PAW: Predictive Analytics World 2014 San Francisco: Have you seen the Agenda? [Courses, Events] - Dec 9, 2013.
Predictive analytics professionals will be beating down the doors of this international conference to hear from PAW keynote speakers. Dont miss your chance to save on PAW registration - register by Jan 24 with Early Bird Pricing.
- Web Science 2014 Data Visualization Challenge [News, Software] - Dec 9, 2013.
The goal of this challenge is to encourage innovative visualizations of web data, especially interdisciplinary approaches. Use any of 4 huge datasets: web traffic, Twitter data, social bookmarking, or academic co-authorship.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 6-8: A public list of R freelancers; Top 10 Big Ideas in Harvard Statistics Class [Publications] - Dec 9, 2013.
A public list of R #rstats freelancers - great resource; Top 10 Big Ideas in Harvard Statistics Class; 3 stages of Big Data to help clarify the confusion; Trifacta, maker of #BigData platform for machine-learning powered data visualization
- New Poll: Did you switch between R, Python, or other Data Science Languages? [News, Software] ( comments) - Dec 9, 2013.
New KDnuggets Poll focuses on on the controversy around whether Python displaces R as language for Data Science, or whether R remains the dominant language. Please vote if you switched between R, Python, or other data analysis language in 2013.
- 3 Stages of Big Data [News, Software] ( comments) - Dec 8, 2013.
The confusion around Big Data is partly the result of different aspects of Big Data which have very different meaning and produce very different results. We propose a 3 stage classification.
- Top stories for Dec 1-7 [News, Software] - Dec 8, 2013.
Harvard CS109 Data Science Course, Resources Free and Online; Open Source Data Science Masters Curriculum; Gates Foundation Grants: Big Data for Social Good; Statistical Community and Big Data disconnect
- Data Scientist at Catasys, Los Angeles [Jobs] - Dec 7, 2013.
Work on analyzing and mining large amount of healthcare data, designing studies, developing models and addressing corporate reporting needs.
- Top 10 Big Ideas in Harvard Statistics 110 Class [Publications] - Dec 6, 2013.
The Big Ideas in Statistics include: Conditioning (the soul of statistics), Random variables and random vectors, Stories, Symmetry, Linearity of expectation, LOTUS, Variance, covariance, and correlation.
- Assistant Professor, Business Analytics at UIowa, Iowa City, IA [Academic] - Dec 6, 2013.
Candidates should have a Ph.D. in Information Systems, Informatics, Information Science, Computer Science, Management Science or a related field and exhibit exceptional research and teaching promise.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 4-5: R is great for stats, Python for more complex tasks; How Facebook own algorithm is killing it [Publications] - Dec 6, 2013.
R is great for stats on one file, but for more complex data analysis use Python; How Facebook own Edgerank algorithm is killing it; Gates Foundation awards grants for using Big Data for Social Good; Preview of book Data Mining Applications with R
- Statistical Community and Big Data disconnect: Discussion Highlights [Publications] ( comments) - Dec 5, 2013.
Highlights from a vigorous discussion on Statistical community and Big Data, including: Are data scientists reinventing statistics? Did statisticians miss the boat in 1990s? Is more data always better? Statistics 2.0?
- Statistical Golden Rule [Publications] ( comments) - Dec 5, 2013.
Bruce Ratner examines how to combine skills acquired by experience (art) and a technique that reflects a precise application of fact or principle (science).
- Why RapidMiner? By Usama Fayyad, a Top Data Scientist and Entrepreneur [News, Software] - Dec 5, 2013.
With the current release of RapidMiner v6, and the introduction of application wizards to help business analysts instantly work with their data, RapidMiner will continue to be the platform of choice for anyone analyzing Big Data.
- November Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining companies and startups activity [News, Software] - Dec 4, 2013.
The November 2013 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: KPMG $100M fund, Jut, Alpine Data, RapidMiner, BIME Analytics
- Gates Foundation Grants: Big Data for Social Good [News, Software] - Dec 4, 2013.
The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has awarded six $100,000 grants to help improve everything from disaster response to municipal services.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 2-3: Google Deep Learning is outsmarting humans; Udacity Online Degree program for Data Science [Publications] - Dec 4, 2013.
Google "Deep Learning" is outsmarting its human employees; Udacity Creates Online Degree Program For Data Science; JSON and #BigData will Shape the Internet of Things: RESTful APIs a key component; The Case Against #BigData In Sports
- UDelaware Certificate in Analytics: Optimizing Big Data, Feb 13 - May 22 [Courses, Events] - Dec 3, 2013.
This certificate program brings together the computational, analytical and communication skills necessary to discover and implement data-supported solutions to business questions. Classes run Feb 13-May 22.
- Data Science for Social Good Summer 2014 [News, Software] - Dec 3, 2013.
The Eric & Wendy Schmidt Data Science for Social Good 2014 Summer Fellowship at the University of Chicago is looking for students, mentors, and project partners - apply by Feb 1.
- Lecture: Business Process Analytics in Practice [Publications] - Dec 3, 2013.
A presentation about current research in the areas of process analytics, intelligence, and process mining.
- Red Button Solver Self-service big data analytics [News, Software] - Dec 2, 2013.
RedButtonSolver shows how to get insight from your data without a PhD in Statistics, by following 3 simple steps and giving you answers, including great visualizations, to 5 key business questions.
- Data Scientist at NYTimes, New York, NY [Jobs] - Dec 2, 2013.
Working on high impact, real world problems using huge (and somewhat messy) data sets, including billions of transactions, to unlock valuable insights and power new products for the New York Times.
- Yahoo Lecture: Big Data, Global Diplomacy and Digital Heartbeat, by Kalev Leetaru [Publications] - Dec 2, 2013.
The 2013 Yahoo! Fellow Kalev Leetaru talks about Big Data, Global Diplomacy and Digital Heartbeat and application of Big Data to understanding international relationships.
- Top stories for Nov 24-30: Harvard CS109 Data Science Course; Thanksgiving Big Data Cartoon [News, Software] - Dec 2, 2013.
Harvard CS109 Data Science Course, Resources Free and Online; Cartoon: Thanksgiving, Big Data, and Turkey Data Science; Yahoo SAMOA, Open Source Platform for Mining Big Data Streams
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 27 - Dec 1: Open Source Data Science MS Curriculum; 5 ways to handle #BigData in R [Publications] - Dec 2, 2013.
Open Source Data Science MS Curriculum; 5 ways to handle #BigData in R; Yahoo SAMOA, Open Source Platform Mining Big Data Streams; 3 Levels of Data: fits in Excel; fits in RAM; a world of pain
- CIO Review 20 Most Promising Data Analytics Companies [Publications] - Dec 1, 2013.
CIO Review special report on 20 Most Promising Data Analytics Companies, which cover Big Data, real-time insights, enterprise analytics, employee analytics, health care, and even neuroscience based data analytics.
- Open Source Data Science Masters Curriculum [Courses, Events] ( comments) - Dec 1, 2013.
A good collection of open source resources for Data Science Masters Curriculum, covering Math, Algorithms, Databases, Data Mining, Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, Data Analysis and Visualization, and Python.
- Dec-Mar Meetings in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science [Courses, Events] - Dec 1, 2013.
27 upcoming meetings in Dec 2013 - Mar 2014, including Text Analytics Summit West, ICDM 13, Oracle BIWA, PAW San Francisco, and INFORMS in Boston.
- Top news, jobs in November: Harvard Data Science Course; Field Guide to Data Science; KDnuggets Thanksgiving cartoon [News, Software] - Dec 1, 2013.
Harvard Data Science Course, free resources online; Field Guide to Data Science - free download; WDC Huge Web Graph; Cartoon: Thanksgiving, Big Data and Turkey Data Science
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in November [News, Software] - Dec 1, 2013.
Swift IQ, Plotly data and visualization platform, Data Science Programs, and more companies, datasets, meetings, software, and solutions.
- Yahoo SAMOA, Open Source Platform for Mining Big Data Streams [News, Software] - Nov 30, 2013.
Yahoo SAMOA (Scalable Advanced Massive Online Analysis) is a framework for mining big data streams and applying distributed machine learning algorithms. You can think of SAMOA as Mahout for streaming.
- Project Tycho digitized 125 years of Public Health and Disease Data [News, Software] - Nov 29, 2013.
Project Tycho: UPitt researchers have collected and digitized all weekly surveillance reports for reportable diseases in the United States going back more than 125 years.
- LIONbook Chapter 15: Dimensionality reduction [Publications] - Nov 28, 2013.
The LIONbook on machine learning and optimization, written by co-founders of LionSolver software, is provided free for personal and non-profit usage. Chapter 15 looks at Dimensionality reduction by linear transformations (projections).
- LIONbook Chapter 14: Self-organizing maps [Publications] - Nov 28, 2013.
The LIONbook on machine learning and optimization, written by co-founders of LionSolver software, is provided free for personal and non-profit usage. Chapter 14 looks at Self-organizing maps.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 25-26: Python displacing R in Data Science; This #BigData application will grow! [Publications] - Nov 27, 2013.
Python displacing R as The Language for Data Science; This #BigData application will grow! What distinguishes data science from statistics? Bottom-up (data-driven) vs top-down ; Rifiniti: Sr. Machine Learning Developer, cutting edge tech
- Scientist, Advanced Computing for Development at QCRI, Qatar Computing Research Institute, Doha, Qatar [Jobs] - Nov 26, 2013.
Work on our Data for Development and Resilience projects with the UN, Rockefeller Foundation and the World bank.
- IJBDI-International Journal of Big Data Intelligence [Publications] - Nov 26, 2013.
International Journal of Big Data Intelligence (IJBDI) is a peer reviewed multidisciplinary international journal publishing original and high-quality articles covering a wide range of topics in big data intelligence.
- Big Data Jobs Index from icrunchdata [Publications] - Nov 26, 2013.
icrunchdata compiled an interesting index to help visualize the present state and future job growth trends in Analytics, Big Data, Business Intelligence, Data Science, Software Development and Statistics.
- Senior Machine Learning Developer at Rifiniti, Boston, MA [Jobs] - Nov 26, 2013.
Work with the founders and a growing ecosystem of business partners and customers to build cutting edge technologies in big data, machine learning, and real time intelligence.
- ASA - American Statistical Association and Big Data [Publications] ( comments) - Nov 26, 2013.
The leaders of ASA - American Statistical Association discuss their view on Big Data, 3 reasons why statistical community seems to be disconnected from the Big Data movement, and how they plan to fix it.
- KDnuggets 13:n29, Thanksgiving and Big Data Cartoon; Harvard Data Science Course [Publications] - Nov 26, 2013.
Thanksgiving and Big Data Cartoon; Harvard Data Science Course resources - free and online; KDnuggets Poll; What Lies Ahead for Big Data and Analytics; Top research confrences, and other analytics/data mining news.
2012 Dec |
KDnuggets News Issues for 2012