- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jul 21-27: Beginner Guide to Time Series Analysis; Free Deep Learning online course - Jul 28, 2015.
Beginner #Guide to #TimeSeries #Analysis; Nvidia free #online course: Intro to #DeepLearning ; To Code or Not to Code with @KNIME; Guide To Linear #Regression
- Northwestern Online MS in Predictive Analytics - Jul 28, 2015.
Build in-demand skills for the growing analytics field, prepare for leadership-level career, learn from distinguished faculty and industry experts, and build analytic expertise.
- Interview: Brian Kursar, Toyota on Big Data & Advanced Analytics – Cornerstones of Innovation - Jul 28, 2015.
We discuss the Big Data architecture at Toyota, executives’ perception of Analytics, Toyota Innovation Fair, advice, trends, and more.
- Data Science Degrees – Analyzed and Visualized - Jul 28, 2015.
We use Silk to create an interactive data site of data science degree programs with visualizations on line. The USA has 181 programs, more than the rest of the world combined. Western Europe follows.
- Microsoft Research Survey on Tools for Machine Learning - Jul 28, 2015.
AzureML and Microsoft Research are teaming up to build new tools to help data scientists with their work. If you are a data scientist or you work with machine learning, please take 5-10 minutes to complete this questionnaire.
- Big Data for Sustainability - Jul 28, 2015.
With big data about energy usage at the device level, enterprises are reducing consumption, optimizing processes for efficiency, and creating sustainability initiatives that advance them in economic, social, and environmental realms.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Jul 28 and beyond - Jul 27, 2015.
Integrating Customer Data at Scale, Drilling Insights Out of Big and Fast Data, Influencer Marketing, Apache Spark, and more.
- Interview: Brian Kursar, Toyota on What You Need to be Truly Data-Driven - Jul 27, 2015.
We discuss Toyota’s Customer 360 Advanced Analytics and Insights platform, Product Quality Analytics system, Predictive Analytics use cases & performance assessment, and challenges in analyzing data from social media.
- CIKM Machine Learning Competition 2015 - Jul 27, 2015.
CIKM 2015 competition is focused on Australian Football league (AFL), and predicting outcomes of future AFL matches using machine learning techniques based on historical data on teams, players and their performances.
- Story-Boarding in a D3.js dashboard using Intro.js - Jul 27, 2015.
Building the analytics dashboard using D3.js is a well-known practice now-a-days. Find out, how to enhance understanding of different components and what they actually contain.
- Top stories for Jul 19-25: Data Science, Machine Learning Cheat Sheets; Coursera/Stanford MMDS free online course - Jul 26, 2015.
50+ Data Science and Machine Learning Cheat Sheets; Stop Hiring Data Scientists Until Ready; Top June stories; Coursera/Stanford "Mining Massive Datasets" free online course.
- Data for Humanity: A Request for Support - Jul 25, 2015.
The goal of this initiative is to bring people and institutions together who share the motivation to use Data for Common Good / human well-being. Join many other notable signatories.
- Interview: Thanigai Vellore, Art.com on Why Big Data vs RDBMS is the Wrong Question - Jul 24, 2015.
We discuss success factors with polyglot architectures, Big Data challenges, recommendations for using Big Data technologies, trends, advice, and more.
- From Big Data to Big Profits: A Lesson from Google’s Nest - Jul 24, 2015.
Google Nest is a very interesting example of how such a seemingly simple item as thermostat, with the addition to Big Data can transform an industry and lead to significant profits.
- Enova: Analytics Manager - Jul 23, 2015.
Use creativity and innovative techniques to enhance and improve current statistical processes/ methods, and coordinate, manage and review statistical modeling solutions.
- You’re invited to join Dean Abbott & other industry thought leaders - Jul 23, 2015.
Dean Abbott is a "rock star" hands-on practitioner - attend his keynote, hands-on methods workshop, and hands-on ensembles workshop at PAW Business, Boston, Sep 27 - Oct 1. Use KDN150 for KDnuggets discount.
- Interview: Thanigai Vellore, Art.com on Delivering Contextually Relevant Search Experience - Jul 23, 2015.
We discuss the role of Analytics at Art.com, the polyglot data architecture at Art.com, the use cases for Hadoop, vendor selection, supporting semantic search and experience with Avro.
- HP Big Data Helps Ford to Better Manage Fleets and Personalize Employee Drives - Jul 23, 2015.
HP-Ford partnership is leveraging Big Data for the next level of Telematics insights based intelligence.
- Sentiment Analysis Symposium Summary and Highlights - Jul 23, 2015.
Here, find out how leading analysts and researchers are exploring the sentiment analysis and text mining in their areas. Also, explore the opportunities, challenges and use-cases for the sentiment analysis.
- Coursera/Stanford “Mining Massive Datasets”, free online course - Jul 22, 2015.
Top Stanford researchers teach efficient and scalable methods for extracting models and other information from very large amounts of data. Next session of this great course starts Sep 12 on Coursera and is free.
- Disruptive Innovation and Competitive Intelligence - Jul 22, 2015.
Disruptive innovation paradigm enables us to understand the rising competition in businesses. Here, we will show how this can be helpful to Competitive Intelligence and challenges ahead of it.
- The Perpetual Quest for Digital Trust - Jul 22, 2015.
Digital Trust is at a deficit – concludes the 2015 Accenture Digital Consumer Survey report “Digital Trust in the IoT Era”
- NTU (Singapore): Faculty Positions in Data Analytics - Jul 22, 2015.
NTU, young and fast-rising research university, invites applications for positions at the ranks of Assistant Professor, Associate Professor or Professor in Data Analytics.
- ACM SIGKDD 2015 Service Award to Jian Pei - Jul 22, 2015.
Prof. Jian Pei wins ACM SIGKDD 2015 Service Award for his significant technical contributions to the principles, practice and application of data mining and for his outstanding services to society and the data mining community.
- Data Mining/Data Science “Nobel Prize”: ACM SIGKDD 2015 Innovation Award to Hans-Peter Kriegel - Jul 22, 2015.
Prof. Hans-Peter Kriegel wins ACM KDD Innovation Award for his influential research and scientific contributions to data mining in clustering, outlier detection and high-dimensional data analysis, including density-based approaches.
- To Code or Not to Code with KNIME - Jul 22, 2015.
Find out how KNIME allows us to integrating analytical languages, such as R and Python and visual design of SQL code. Also, learn to integrate your hadoop, visualization and ELT systems with the KNIME.
- KDnuggets™ News 15:n23, Jul 22: Deep Learning Adversarial Examples Myths & Facts; Stop Hiring Data Scientists Until … - Jul 22, 2015.
Deep Learning Adversarial Examples - facts and myths; Stop Hiring Data Scientists Until; arXiv.org and the 24 Hour Research Cycle; Statistics Denial Myth and Repackaging Statistics.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jul 14-20: The Master #Algorithm: Quest for the Ultimate #Learning #Machine; Most Influential Data Scientists - Jul 21, 2015.
The Master #Algorithm: Quest for the Ultimate #Learning #Machine; Most Influential Data Scientists; 50+ #DataScience and #MachineLearning #CheatSheets; ;R remains primary #Analytics language, but #Python grows faster.
- arXiv.org and the 24 Hour Research Cycle - Jul 21, 2015.
ArXiv.org gives researchers the ability to instantly publish research, free of peer review and the publication cycle. This capability offers both advantages and pitfalls. We should warily eye the 24-7 news cycle as a cautionary tale for how this could go wrong.
- New Book: Mining Latent Entity Structures - Jul 21, 2015.
This collection investigate the principles and methodologies of mining latent entity structures from massive unstructured and interconnected data. We propose a text-rich information network model for modeling data in many different domains.
- Young Data Scientist Book: Inspiration for the future - Jul 21, 2015.
Focussing on ages 14 to 17, this book uses the space exploration for Data Science. Ultimate initiative of this book is to create an open curriculum to teach Data Science in schools.
- U. of California San Diego: Data Analytics Analyst (77011) - Jul 20, 2015.
Provide reliable and timely high-level qualitative and quantitative data and trend analysis that supports the strategic planning and operational effectiveness of key Vice Chancellor for Research programs.
- Analyzing and Visualizing Flows in Rivers and Lakes with MATLAB - Jul 20, 2015.
ADCPs and VMT have increased the pace of studies that rely on flow data. Find out how these toolkits from MathWorks are revolutionizing the analysis and visualisation processes.
- Geisinger: Senior-level, High Performance Computing Programmer - Jul 20, 2015.
Responsible for leading and managing team members in programming and system administration for Geisinger Medical Center High Performance Computing (HPC) center.
- Jun 2015 Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining Acquisitions and Startups Activity - Jul 20, 2015.
Jun 2015 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: Spotify, Unicorn Power Law, Twitter + Whetlab, Belong, ZestFinance.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Jul 21 and beyond - Jul 20, 2015.
Tips/Tricks for Customer Segmentation, Data Lake - Five Tips to Navigate, Listening vs Hearing, VEDO Intent, Integrating Customer Data at Scale, and more.
- Book: Healthcare Data Analytics - Jul 20, 2015.
Written by prominent researchers and experts working in the healthcare domain, this book provides a clear understanding of the analytical techniques currently available to solve healthcare problems.
- Top stories for Jul 12-18: 50+ Data Science, Machine Learning Cheat Sheets; Deep Learning Adversarial Examples – Misconceptions - Jul 19, 2015.
50+ Data Science and Machine Learning Cheat Sheets; Can deep learning help find the perfect date? Deep Learning Adversarial Examples - Clarifying Misconceptions; R, Python users show surprising stability, strong regional differences.
- Top June stories: Top 20 Python Machine Learning Projects; Which Big Data, Data Mining Tools go together? - Jul 18, 2015.
Top 20 Python Machine Learning Open Source Projects; Which Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science Tools go together?; Popular Deep Learning Tools - a review; Why Does Deep Learning Work?
- Digital Catapult Centre: Lead Technologist – Data (Permanent or Contract) - Jul 18, 2015.
Have deep expertise in data technologies, help catapult UK best ideas from startups and university research to grow into large-scale companies.
- CHEMDNER competition: Chemical and drug name recognition task in patents - Jul 18, 2015.
Want to test your data science skills? Get ready for the next text mining and information retrieval challenge by CHEMDNER.
- Ford: Data Scientist – Connectivity Analytics Supervisor - Jul 17, 2015.
Mine hidden gems in very large structured, semi-structured and unstructured data and use mathematics and applied statistics with visualization and a healthy sense of exploration.
- Manhattan Associates: Senior Operations Research Analyst – Data Scientist - Jul 17, 2015.
Help lead the innovation and advancement of solutions to complex supply chain management problems using predictive analytics, data mining, mathematical programming, and similar methods.
- Interview: Ali Vanderveld, Groupon on How Data Science is Changing the Global E-commerce Marketplace - Jul 17, 2015.
We discuss the tools used for data science, competitive landscape, journey from astrophysics to data science, advice, skills sought in data scientists, and more.
- Stop Hiring Data Scientists Until You’re Ready for Data Science - Jul 17, 2015.
Getting an unicorn and restraining it into the chains won't be helpful for you or the unicorn. Find out how you can tap into the potential of these new age unicorns.
- Drag and Drop Visuals in your Interactive Dashboard – Gridster & D3.js - Jul 17, 2015.
One aspect of BI self-service modules is the flexibility for the user to define his own story line and the order in which the user wants to see the visuals. Find out how you can build the rearrangeable dashboards.
- IEEE ICDM 2015 Call For Research and Service Award Nominations - Jul 17, 2015.
The IEEE ICDM awards recognize influential research contributions to the field of data mining, and major service contributions that have promoted data mining as a field and ICDM as the world premier research conference. Nominations due Aug 15.
- OpenImpact – solve social problems with your data skills - Jul 16, 2015.
Help solve social problems with your data skills - DataLook #openimpact campaign has curated a list of 10 impressive reusable data-driven projects that can help to solve problems in your city.
- Mitra Capital: Data Scientist/Machine Learning Engineer - Jul 16, 2015.
Seeking an experienced Data Scientist to help create innovative technology solutions at the intersection of language analysis, data-driven insights and logic-based workflow.
- Interview: Ali Vanderveld, Groupon on Vital Ingredients of Analytics-powered Sales Force - Jul 16, 2015.
We discuss the role of Analytics at Groupon, deciding factors for merchant priority, limitations of historical data, optimizing the efforts of sales force, data characteristics and dealing with Data Sparsity.
- Big Data – yes, that’s what a latest Sensational Rap Music Video is all about - Jul 16, 2015.
Music video featuring Big Data and Hadoop (and Map-Reduce and NoSQL) might be all you need to light up your day!
- Statistics Denial Myth: Repackaging Statistics With Straddling Terms - Jul 16, 2015.
Data science is nothing but the old wine in new bottle versions of the statistics with different fields. Here, we are busting the myth which states data scientist is new and different than traditional statisticians.
- Wharton Online: Strategic Value of Customer Relationships, Sep 28 – Nov 22 - Jul 16, 2015.
This 8-week online program (Sep 28 - Nov 22) by Wharton prof. Peter Fader, teaches how to decipher the streams of customer data flowing into your company. Enroll now.
- CYPHER 2015, Analytics India Summit – 12 Sep, Bangalore, India - Jul 16, 2015.
Cypher 2015, organized by Analytics India Magazine, brings you India most exciting Analytics event of the year - connect with talented professionals, senior leaders and innovative analytics organizations.
- IAPA Challenge the Chief Analytics Event, Sydney, Aug 4 - Jul 15, 2015.
Senior analytics professionals to be challenged by young guns in inaugural 'Challenge the Chief' event at IAPA national conference, Aug 4, Sydney, Australia.
- SAS: Machine Learning Algorithm Research/Developer - Jul 15, 2015.
Developer with a strong analytical background and excellent programming skills to collaborate with a team developing new machine learning algorithms for NLP, text classification, sentiment analysis, and similar tasks.
- Deep Learning Adversarial Examples – Clarifying Misconceptions - Jul 15, 2015.
Google scientist clarifies misconceptions and myths around Deep Learning Adversarial Examples, including: they do not occur in practice, Deep Learning is more vulnerable to them, they can be easily solved, and human brains make similar mistakes.
- U. of Chicago Center for Data Science and Public Policy: Postdoc, Pre-Doctoral, Data Engineer, Data Scientist, and Project Manager - Jul 15, 2015.
Are you interested in using your machine-learning, data-mining, and data science skills to make the world a better place? U. Chicago Center for Data Science and Public Policy has multiple openings.
- Interview: Ramkumar Ravichandran, Visa on Customer-focus Mindset for Analytics - Jul 15, 2015.
We discuss career advice, need for customer-focus, Analytics trends, desired skills in Data Science practitioners, and more.
- Predictive Policing – Free Book - Jul 15, 2015.
This free book is an easy to digest introduction to the world of predictive analytics and Big Data. The book is written from a policing perspective and shows interesting views in how the power of the police force can be increased by focusing on predictive policing.
- Jigsaw Academy: Analytics and Big Data Experts - Jul 15, 2015.
Develop e-learning content and case studies in the field of analytics and big data, meaningful and relevant to students looking to build a career in the field.
- KDnuggets™ News 15:n22, Jul 15: Deep Learning, Empiricism, & Perfect Girl; 50+ Cheat Sheets; R vs Python - Jul 15, 2015.
Deep Learning and the Triumph of Empiricism; 50+ Data Science and Machine Learning Cheat Sheets; 3 Ways to Master Uplift Modeling; Can Deep Learning Help you Find the Perfect Girl?
- Macy’s: VP, Marketing Data Science and Analytics - Jul 14, 2015.
Informing business and marketing strategy, guiding tactical execution and identifying new opportunities to drive and grow sales across Macy's.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jul 7-13: Deep Learning and the Triumph of Empiricism - Jul 14, 2015.
Deep Learning and the Triumph of Empiricism; What can Hadoop do that my data warehouse cant?; Emacs for Data Science; Dataiku DataScience Studio - intuitive solution.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Jul 14 and beyond - Jul 14, 2015.
Tips/Tricks for Customer Segmentation, Data Lake - Five Tips to Navigate, Future-Proof Streaming Analytics, The CAO v. The CDO, and more.
- R, Python users show surprising stability, but strong regional differences - Jul 14, 2015.
R remains the dominant language, with Python slowly catching up, and other languages shrinking. We also found surprising stability, with about 90% of R and Python users staying with that language, and strong regional differences.
- Interview: Ramkumar Ravichandran, Visa on Actionable Insights – Easier Said Than Done - Jul 14, 2015.
We discuss Analytics at Visa, adapting to the Big Data world, gaps between expectations and delivery from Analytics, delivering Actionable Insights, and tools/technologies used.
- 50+ Data Science and Machine Learning Cheat Sheets - Jul 14, 2015.
Gear up to speed and have Data Science & Data Mining concepts and commands handy with these cheatsheets covering R, Python, Django, MySQL, SQL, Hadoop, Apache Spark and Machine learning algorithms.
- Lavastorm Webinar, July 22: Data Lake – Five Tips to Navigate the Dangerous Waters - Jul 14, 2015.
Data lakes can boost analytic speed by making the right data much more accessible, even for less technical users. Learn valuable tips to help you optimize data for agility and speed to insight, improve accessibility, and avoid data silos.
- How to properly present a Data Mining project? - Jul 14, 2015.
Building models and getting insights are job half done for the data scientist, presenting them to the audience is an art itself. See, how to approach the presentation after wrapping up the data science project.
- Continually Updated Data Science IPython Notebooks - Jul 13, 2015.
Continually updated Data Science IPython Notebooks: Spark, Hadoop MapReduce, HDFS, AWS, Kaggle, scikit-learn, matplotlib, pandas, NumPy, SciPy, and various command lines.
- 3 Ways to Master Uplift Modeling - Jul 13, 2015.
The hot topic of Uplift modeling (aka persuasion modeling) is covered in 2 sessions at PAW Business Boston, Sep 27 - Oct 1, and in a article by PAW Founder Eric Siegel.
- Can Deep Learning Help you Find the Perfect Girl? – Part 2 - Jul 13, 2015.
Using Deep Learning to find the perfect match, PhD student Harm de Vries describes the process of data collection and analysis. Finally, the results from matching algorithm are compared to human assessment for identifying an individual's dating preferences.
- Hotlist of Training resources for Predictive Analytics - Jul 13, 2015.
A hotlist of training resources for Predictive Analytics, Machine Learning, Data Science, R, Python, SAS, and Excel, including MOOCs, blogs, meetups, courses, videos, and more.
- Global Data Competition focused on Climate Change - Jul 12, 2015.
This inaugural global data competition is focused on Climate Change and split into 22 regions around the world.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jun 30 – Jul 06: Click Testing Proved that Beards Are Still A Thing; 16 Free #DataScience Books - Jul 12, 2015.
How Screenshot Click Testing Proved that Beards Are Still A Thing; 16 Free #DataScience Books; How to avoid #Overfitting using #Regularization; #DataScience must read: quick puzzle tests your problem solving.
- Top stories for Jul 5-11: Deep Learning and the Triumph of Empiricism; Data Science != Big Data - Jul 12, 2015.
Deep Learning and the Triumph of Empiricism; Data Science and Big Data: Two very Different Beasts; Top 20 R packages by popularity; 10 Key Tips for Entry-Level Analytics Professionals.
- Apple: Data Mining Scientist - Jul 11, 2015.
Outstanding data mining scientist to help design, develop, and field data mining solutions that have direct and measurable impact to Apple.
- Can deep learning help find the perfect date? - Jul 10, 2015.
When a Machine Learning PhD student at University of Montreal starts using Tinder, he soon realises that something is missing in the dating app - the ability to predict to which girls he is attracted. Harm de Vries applies Deep Learning to assist in the pursuit of the perfect match.
- Interview: Reiner Kappenberger, HP Security Voltage on Security Checklist for Data Architectures - Jul 10, 2015.
We discuss securing data-at-rest and data-in-motion, security recommendations for data architectures, trends, advice, and more.