- Top stories for Jan 18-24: Basics of Deep Learning to Get You Started; Top SlideShare Presentations on Big Data, updated - Jan 25, 2015.
Arno Candel on the Basics of Deep Learning to Get You Started; Top SlideShare Presentations on Big Data, updated; 15 Programming Languages to know in 2015; 8 Trends In Big Data For 2015.
- Interview: John Schitka, SAP on The Type of Data Scientists We Need - Jan 24, 2015.
We discuss the focus areas of Big Data strategy at SAP, how SAP is leading the competition, the kind of data scientists we need, advice and more.
- Microsoft buys Revolution Analytics - Jan 24, 2015.
Microsoft buys Revolution Analytics - I look at why this is both surprising and not.
- Quantcast: 2015 Summer Intern Engineering - Jan 24, 2015.
Quantcast is seeking smart, curious, technically savvy candidates to join our 2015 summer internship - we hire the best and brightest and give them the opportunity to grow professionally and work on industry-leading technology.
- Text Analysis 101: Document Classification - Jan 24, 2015.
Document classification is an example of Machine Learning (ML) in the form of Natural Language Processing (NLP). By classifying text, we are aiming to assign one or more classes or categories to a document, making it easier to manage and sort.
- UDEL: Certificate in Analytics: Optimizing Big Data - Jan 23, 2015.
Understand why big data is so important in business decisions and sharpen your data management skills. Classes Feb 19 - May 28 in Wilmington, DE.
- Interview: John Schitka, SAP on How to Get Started with Big Data - Jan 23, 2015.
We discuss the current perceptions of Big Data, challenges for Big Data consumerization, dealing with the talent gap, and business strategy for Big Data.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 21-22: Palantir vs AirBnB – data mining to crack down on AirBnB hosts; AI program can beat almost any human in poker - Jan 23, 2015.
Palantir #datamining used by NYC to crack down on AirBnB hosts; #BigData 2015 Top Brands: @IBMBigData @BigDataExpo @CIOonline @WorldBank @Cloud; #Google #Dataflow pipeline tool can now run on #Spark; Cepheus #AI program can beat almost any human in #poker, even bluffs.
- Barclays: Chief Data Officer, Africa - Jan 23, 2015.
Lead the Data transformation of Barclays in Africa region, to provide a world-class Data Infrastructure and Applications enabling customer/client experience.
- Shining Light on Dark Data - Jan 23, 2015.
Dark Data is the ever-present, relatively unknown, and unmanaged volumes of data that exist in every corner of one’s business. Here’s what to do with it.
- BioASQ challenge on large-scale biomedical semantic indexing and question answering - Jan 23, 2015.
The BioASQ challenge has 2 tasks: large-scale biomedical semantic indexing (join in February) and biomedical semantic QA (join in March-April).
- Interview: Arno Candel, H2O.ai on the Journey from Physics to Machine Learning - Jan 22, 2015.
We discuss Arno’s career path, transition from Physics to Machine Learning, talent gap in Big Data, advice and more.
- Big Data Bootcamp, Austin, Apr 10-12 - Jan 22, 2015.
A fast paced, vendor agnostic, technical overview of the Big Data landscape targeted towards technical and business people who want to understand the emerging world of Big Data. Special KDnuggets discount.
- John Hancock: AVP, Advanced Analytics - Jan 22, 2015.
Bring innovation, critical thinking, industry and functional expertise leveraged through advanced analytics and predictive modeling to drive key areas including Strategy, Marketing, Distribution, Underwriting, and Claims.
- Innovation Enterprise Data Science and Hadoop Innovation Summits, San Diego, Feb 12-13 - Jan 22, 2015.
Join leading Data Scientists, Big Data and Hadoop professionals in San Diego to learn about the coming changes and challenges. Special KDnuggets discount.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 19-20: 15 programming languages you need to know in 2015; R Programming fun: writing a Twitter bot - Jan 21, 2015.
15 #programming languages you need to know in 2015; #Facebook open sources its cutting-edge #DeepLearning tools; Simple Pictures that State-of-the-Art #AI Can't Recognize (yet); R Programming fun: writing a Twitter bot.
- Metis Data Science Bootcamp Open House, New York City, Feb 3 - Jan 21, 2015.
Meet instructors, students and alumni of Metis Data Science Bootcamp, enjoy pizza and drinks as instructors walk you through a sampling of what students learn in 12 weeks.
- Interview: Arno Candel, H20.ai on How to Quick Start Deep Learning with H2O - Jan 21, 2015.
We discuss H2O use cases, resources to start using H2O for Deep Learning, evolution of High Performance Computing (HPC) and the future of HPC.
- Learn how to develop a Chief Data executive role, March 30-31, Boston - Jan 21, 2015.
This exclusive Forum is structured like an executive roundtable, with high-level industry experts leading think-tank discussions on the challenges and key solutions for implementing and developing a Chief Data executive role. Early reg by Jan 30.
- The High Cost of Maintaining Machine Learning Systems - Jan 21, 2015.
Google researchers warn of the massive ongoing costs for maintaining machine learning systems. We examine how to minimize the technical debt.
- Can noise help separate causation from correlation? - Jan 21, 2015.
How to tell correlation from causation is one of the key problems in data science and Big Data. New Additive Noise Models methods can do it with over 65% accuracy, opening new breakthrough possibilities.
- 8 Trends In Big Data For 2015 - Jan 21, 2015.
2015 trends include Non-Data Scientists, Real Time Big Data, Self Service Big Data, Shared Big Data, Big Data and IoT, Richer Data, More Big Data Geeks, and Creative Recruitment - read why.
- Interview: Arno Candel, H2O.ai on the Basics of Deep Learning to Get You Started - Jan 20, 2015.
We discuss how Deep Learning is different from the other methods of Machine Learning, unique characteristics and benefits of Deep Learning, and the key components of H2O architecture.
- Disney: Decision Science Project/Technical Manager - Jan 20, 2015.
The Decision Science team provides internal consulting services and analytical products for various business units across the Walt Disney Company.
- Metis (a division of Kaplan): Data Science Lead - Jan 20, 2015.
An experienced data scientist to head the teaching of our data science bootcamps and to champion our growth in the field of data science education and training.
- Webinar: 3 Ways to Improve your Regression, Feb 10 - Jan 20, 2015.
We will show how MARS regression, TreeNet gradient boosting, and Random Forests can take your regression model to the next level with modern algorithms.
- RapidMiner Academia makes RapidMiner freely available to students, academics worldwide - Jan 20, 2015.
Students, professors and researchers can now use free of charge the latest version of RapidMiner platform for education and academic research.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Jan 20 and beyond - Jan 19, 2015.
Get Started with Hadoop, R, Smarter Data Lake, Platfora, Data Modeling, Tamr, Real-Estate Value Analytics, RapidMiner Modern Analytics and more.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 12-18: Dilbert looks at #analytics of #dating and A/B testing; Deep Learning and Human Beings - Jan 19, 2015.
Dilbert looks at #analytics of #dating and A/B testing; A Deep Dive into Recurrent Neural Nets #DeepLearning; Great read: #Visualizing Representations: #DeepLearning and Human Beings; 9 Lessons: Picking the Right #NoSQL Tools.
- Genetics as a Social Network – A Data Scientist Perspective - Jan 19, 2015.
You can think about a cell’s genetics as a huge social network. We can then take the DNA sequences of the transcription factor footprints associated with each gene and predict the proteins bound to these regulatory regions, and in this way reconstruct the genetic regulatory networks in every cell type.
- Simple Data Science of Global Warming - Jan 19, 2015.
You don't have to be a climatologist to empirically confirm global warming. It is enough to have a computer, a reliable data set of historical temperatures, and software like R to do simple calculations.
- Top /r/MachineLearning posts, Jan 11-17 - Jan 18, 2015.
SVMs, open source datasets, Bayesian decision theory, game AI, and deep learning visualizations are all featured in the past week's top /r/MachineLearning posts.
- Top SlideShare Presentations on Big Data, updated - Jan 18, 2015.
REST APIs and crawling offer two different ways to gather big data presentations from SlideShare, but they provide different results and lead to a very different view of the data. We examine why and find a useful data science lesson.
- IE Masters in Analytics and Big Data – first hand report - Jan 18, 2015.
First hand report on Master in business analytics and big data program at IE (Madrid, Spain) - why, what, how, days, and challenges.
- Top stories for Jan 11-17: Research Leaders on Data Mining/Big Data key trends, top papers; Deep Learning in a Nutshell - Jan 18, 2015.
Research Leaders on Data Mining, Data Science, and Big Data key trends, top papers; Deep Learning in a Nutshell - what it is, how it works, why care?; Deep Learning can be easily fooled; Cartoon: Hello, Singularity.
- Elliot Health System: (Senior) Data Analyst - Jan 17, 2015.
Support clinical analytics, including quality, service, cost, and satisfaction-related measure development, process improvement methods, internal and external program reporting requirements, project planning, and program evaluation.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 14-15: 10 FB likes predicts personality better than a co-worker; A Deep Dive into Recurrent Neural Nets - Jan 16, 2015.
A Deep Dive into Recurrent Neural Nets #DeepLearning; SOASTA announces #DataScience Workbench for insights from user experience; What's Wrong with this Picture? The Art of Honest Visualizations; Deep Learning can be easily fooled.
- Interview: Amit Sheth, Kno.e.sis on Designing Academic Curriculum for Data Science - Jan 16, 2015.
We discuss curriculum development around Data Science, trends in Big Data arena, qualities sought in students and more.
- DMA Marketing Analytics Conference, Chicago, Mar 9-11 - Jan 16, 2015.
DMA Marketing Analytics Conference features leading speakers from LinkedIn, IBM, Razorfish, Ford, Northwestern, Adobe, BCBS of North Carolina, The Weather Company, Starwood Hotels, and many more. Special KDnuggets discount.
- How to interview a data scientist - Jan 16, 2015.
Having spent the last year interviewing a large number of Data Scientists, I’ve developed a simple set of questions that help me to understand the what, the why and the how of what they do.
- Interview: Amit Sheth, Kno.e.sis on Deriving Actionable Insights from Social Data - Jan 15, 2015.
We discuss Twitris—a tool for collective social intelligence, challenges in using social data to get actionable insights during emergency situations, managing Data Variety, and entrepreneurship.
- ChaLearn Automatic Machine Learning Challenge (AutoML) - Jan 15, 2015.
Design the perfect machine learning “black box” capable of performing all model selection and hyper-parameter tuning without any human intervention. There is a prize pool of $30,000 donated by Microsoft if you are willing to make your code publicly available.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 12-13: Dilbert on analytics of #dating and A/B testing; Convolutional Neural Nets (LeNet) - Jan 14, 2015.
Dilbert looks at #analytics of #dating and A/B testing; 9 Lessons: Picking the Right #NoSQL Tools; How Google Will Know If You're Lying - with semantic search and #BigData; 10 Big Data Experts to Know.
- Disney: Sr Planning Analyst – Measurement - Jan 14, 2015.
The Sr. Planning Analyst analyzes and identifies business drivers using statistical/financial models, market research and external/economic data.
- MetaMind Competes with IBM Watson Analytics and Microsoft Azure Machine Learning - Jan 14, 2015.
While Microsoft and IBM rush to bring data science and visualization to the masses, MetaMind follows another path, offering deep learning as a service.
- Interview: Amit Sheth, Kno.e.sis on Deriving Value from Big Data through Smart Data - Jan 14, 2015.
We discuss the definition of Smart Data, how to derive Smart Data from Big Data, maturity assessment for Smart Data pursuit, computing for human experience and Kno.e.sis.
- Deep Learning can be easily fooled - Jan 14, 2015.
It is almost impossible for human eyes to label the images below to be anything but abstract arts. However, researchers found that Deep Neural Network will label them to be familiar objects with 99.99% confidence. The generality of DNN is questioned again.
- CFP: Sentiment Analysis Symposium + Workshops 2015 - Jan 14, 2015.
The Sentiment Analysis Symposium is the first, biggest, and best conference to tackle the business value of sentiment, mood, opinion, and emotion. Register for 2015 symposium, please submit your proposal online by January 23.
- CFP: ACM Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data - Jan 14, 2015.
Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data (TKDD) welcomes papers on a full range of research in the knowledge discovery and analysis of diverse forms of data. Subjects include scalable and effective algorithms for data mining and big data analysis, mining brain networks, mining data streams and more.
- Open Data Science Conference Call for Speakers, Boston, May 30-31 - Jan 14, 2015.
Open Data Science Conference is focusing on applied data science featuring real world applications and looking for both technical and non-technical data-centric talks. Boston, May 30-31, 2015.
- KDnuggets™ News 15:n02, Jan 14 - Jan 14, 2015.
Research Leaders on Data Mining key trends, top papers; Exclusive Interview with NYTimes Chief Data Scientist; Majority thinks AI not a threat; Cartoon: Hello, Singularity; Deep Learning in a Nutshell; How to make Privacy and Data Mining Compatible; ClearStory Data CEO on Collaborative Storyboards.
- Amazon: Research Scientist - Jan 13, 2015.
Join an innovative team of scientists who use machine learning and statistical techniques to keep Amazon the safest and most trusted place to shop online.
- TMA Predictive Analytics, Data Mining Training [Orlando, Feb | Las Vegas, May] - Jan 13, 2015.
Successful analytics in the big data era does not start with data and software, but with hands-on, immersive training and goal-driven strategy - get it from The Modeling Agency in Orlando (Feb), Las Vegas (Apr), or Washington DC (May).
- Info Kit: Statistics, Predictive Modeling and Data Mining with JMP - Jan 13, 2015.
Find out how to challenge assumptions, spot patterns and reveal potential solutions to problems that otherwise would not be visible. Register for this complimentary info kit.
- Wharton Online Course: Strategic Value of Customer Relationships - Jan 13, 2015.
During an 8-week online program (Mar 2 - Apr 26) taught by Wharton marketing professor Peter Fader, learn how to decipher the streams of customer data flowing into your company.
- Exclusive: Interview with Chris Wiggins, NYTimes Chief Data Scientist - Jan 13, 2015.
New York Times Chief Data Scientist Chris Wiggins on the transformation of digital journalism, key Data Science skills, favorite tools, why better wrong than nice, and how Thomas Jefferson is very relevant today.
- 10 Big Data Experts to Know - Jan 13, 2015.
High-power executives, experts, and entrepreneurs shape the future of the big data market, making them necessary knowledge for anyone in the know in the industry.
- Predictions: 2015 Analytics and Data Science Hiring Market - Jan 13, 2015.
Thanks to Big Data, analytics have become inescapable. Forget the C-Suite if you’re not a Data Geek, recruiting for startups gets harder, analytics salary bands get a lift, and more 2015 predictions.
- Lityx seeks to align with analytic individuals looking to have their own business - Jan 12, 2015.
Lityx Analytics Network seeks to bring together experienced analysts and provides the tools and support for them to run their own analytics business.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 5-11: Data Driven: Creating a Data Culture; Deep Learning in a Nutshell - Jan 12, 2015.
New book: Data Driven: Creating a Data Culture, by top #DataScience experts; #DeepLearning in a Nutshell: what it is, how does it work, and why; Programming languages popularity by US state; 4 ways to identify the best #data #tools.
- INFORMS Analytics and Data Science Education - Jan 12, 2015.
Upcoming INFORMS continuing education courses offer training in Essential Skills for Analytics Professionals, Data Exploration & Visualization, Modern Predictive Analytics, and Monte Carlo and Discrete-Event Simulation.
- Coursera / Stanford Mining Massive Datasets MOOC, Jan-Mar 2015 - Jan 12, 2015.
Don't miss! Top Stanford researchers teach efficient and scalable methods for extracting models and other information from very large amounts of data. Next session of this great course starts Jan 31 on Coursera and is free.
- Interview: Miriah Meyer, Univ. of Utah on the Art and Science of Visualization - Jan 12, 2015.
We discuss insights from the best paper at ACM AVI 2014, increasing interest in visualization, infographics, trends, challenges, advice and more.
- December 2014 Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining Acquisitions and Startups Activity - Jan 12, 2015.
December 2014 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: Scaled Inference, Pulse Energy, Mixpanel, Oracle buys Datalogix, Hortonworks IPO, MSFT buys HockeyApp, Brandwatch buys PeerIndex, MetaMind launches.
- Deep Learning in a Nutshell – what it is, how it works, why care? - Jan 12, 2015.
Deep learning and neural networks are increasingly important concepts in computer science with great strides being made by large companies like Google and startups like DeepMind.
- Fundamental methods of Data Science: Classification, Regression And Similarity Matching - Jan 12, 2015.
Data classification, regression, and similarity matching underpin many of the fundamental algorithms in data science to solve business problems like consumer response prediction and product recommendation.
- Cartoon: Hello, Singularity - Jan 11, 2015.
New KDnuggets cartoon takes a look at what can happen when Artificial Intelligence (AI) achieves Singularity.
- Top KDnuggets Analytics, Big Data, Data Science stories in 2014, updated - Jan 11, 2015.
Top KDnuggets stories in 2014 had several themes - Deep Learning; Data Scientist career, education, and salary; IBM Watson; Resources for learning Data Science, especially R and Python, and polls on what are most popular analytics/data mining software & languages.
- Debunking Big Data Myths. Again - Jan 11, 2015.
Myths change with understanding. Misunderstandings on some of the current myths surrounding big data as follows will fade away: big data is made for big business, big data adoption is high and machine learning overcomes human bias.
- Top stories for Jan 4-10: 11 Clever Methods of Overfitting; Research Leaders on Data Science and Big Data - Jan 11, 2015.
11 Clever Methods of Overfitting and how to avoid them; Causation vs Correlation: Visualization, Statistics, and Intuition; Research Leaders on Data Science and Big Data key trends, top papers; Differential Privacy: How to make Privacy and Data Mining Compatible.
- Interview: Sharmila Mulligan, ClearStory Data on Variety & Velocity to be Big Data Priorities - Jan 10, 2015.
We discuss the ClearStory Data’s competitive differentiation, client use case, Big Data trends, advice, desired soft skills in data scientists and more.
- PACE Data Mining Boot Camps, San Diego, Feb 10-11 - Jan 10, 2015.
San Diego Supercomputing Center PACE (Predictive Analytics Center of Excellence) excels at delivering practical, hands-on training in a small classroom setting. Attend next data mining boot camp is Feb 10-11.
- Wharton Workshop: Bringing Customer Lifetime Value to Life, Feb 19-20, Philadelphia - Jan 10, 2015.
Predicting how much profit can be generated from a future relationship with a customer is extremely important. This workshop will teach how do this important analysis.
- Digital Shadows (London): Data Scientist - Jan 10, 2015.
Digital Shadows is award winning start-up providing innovative cyber monitoring services to high profile organisations. We have ambitious growth plan and want to recruit a senior data scientist to implement our data analytics strategy.
- AI Says Data Scientists Not So Sexy in 2015 - Jan 10, 2015.
In 2015, democratization of data will become the democratization of information, data-hoarding era will be end and artificial intelligence will step into the mainstream.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jan 7-8: Programming languages popularity by US state; Machine Learning best practices from Kaggle competitions - Jan 9, 2015.
Programming languages popularity by US state; Why Ayasdi Topological Data Analysis Works - real data frequently is nonlinear; Learning Data Science and Predictive Modeling at Your Own Pace; Great talk: Machine Learning best practices from Kaggle competitions.
- Differential Privacy: How to make Privacy and Data Mining Compatible - Jan 9, 2015.
Can privacy coexist with machine learning and data mining? Differential privacy allows the learning of general characteristics of populations while guaranteeing the privacy of individual records.
- Research Leaders on Data Mining, Data Science, and Big Data key trends, top papers - Jan 9, 2015.
We asked global research leaders in Data Science and Big Data what are the most interesting research papers/advances of 2014 and what are the key trends they see in 2015. Here are their answers.
- Predictive Analytics Innovation Summit, Chicago – Day 2 Highlights - Jan 9, 2015.
Highlights from the presentations by Predictive Analytics leaders from Time Warner Cable, AT&T and Verizon on day 2 of Predictive Analytics Innovation Summit 2014 in Chicago.
- World experts will meet for first Deep Learning Summit in San Francisco, Jan 29-30 - Jan 9, 2015.
The Deep Learning Summit is a unique opportunity to meet influential data scientists, technologists, world-leading researchers, entrepreneurs and data engineers. KDnuggets discount.