- comScore: Lead Technical Analyst – Data Solutions - May 30, 2015.
Apply robust analytical skills, technical acumen, and business knowledge to solve complex problems and build custom solutions to meet internal and external demands.
- Spark Summit, the leading edge of Big Data, San Francisco, June 15-17 - May 29, 2015.
Spark is the hottest technology in Big Data. Join Spark Summit to learn how organizations such as the CIA, NASA, and Andreessen Horowitz along with companies like Databricks, Toyota, IBM, Intel, Baidu, Amazon are using Spark to run their businesses more effectively. KDnuggets discount.
- INFORMS Essential Practice Skills for Analytics Professionals + Baseball Night - May 29, 2015.
Register for the "Essential Practice Skills for Analytics Professionals" Course (Chicago, Jun 23-24) and join INFORMS for a Special Networking Night and Baseball at Wrigley Field.
- Applied Statistics Is A Way Of Thinking, Not Just A Toolbox - May 29, 2015.
The choice of tools in applied statistics is driven by the objective, the structure of the data, and the nature of the uncertainty in the numbers, whereas in academic statistics its driven by publishing or teaching. Here we provide some of common statistical tools and the overlapping genealogy.
- Knewton: Data Scientist - May 28, 2015.
We're looking for engineers or applied scientists with experience implementing data mining and machine learning systems to help build an innovative online education system that adapts to each individual student.
- Discover the WHY behind your Customer Scores, June 10 webinar with Seth Grimes - May 28, 2015.
Text Analytics thought leader Seth Grimes and MeaningCloud present a special webinar on ensuring you are getting the most from your customer feedback.
- Insights from Data Science Handbook - May 28, 2015.
Here you can find perspective of lead data scientists on the definitions ranging from data science, metrics selection while solving a problem, work ethics, the art of storytelling and why data science is important in todays world.
- 21 Essential Data Visualization Tools - May 28, 2015.
We have collected leading data visualization tools, with a short overview of each tool, its strong and weak points.
- CRN 2015 Big Data Infrastructure Companies - May 28, 2015.
The CRN identifies top 25 big data infrastructure, tools and service companies offering everything from hardware servers, to software platforms and applications, to cloud-based services. The list includes major players in the big data space like Microsoft, Amazon, and IBM!
- 150 Most Influential People in Big Data & Hadoop - May 27, 2015.
A list of 150 Most Influential People on Twitter in Big Data & Hadoop includes Merv Adrian @merv, Alistair Croll @acroll, Ben Lorica @bigdata, Paul Zikopoulos @BigData_paulz, Mathias Herberts @herberts, and Gregory Piatetsky @kdnuggets.
- Miner3D Data Visualization System Version 8 - May 27, 2015.
The new software features a redesigned user interface, making it a perfect complement for Excel. New graphics visualization engine is now faster and smoother.
- Discovery Communications: Manager – Data Science - May 27, 2015.
Work closely with other analytics professionals and with the Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence group to develop a technology infrastructure that supports the data science process.
- KDnuggets™ News 15:n17, May 27: R wins Annual Poll; Top 10 Algorithms; Interview with Spark Creator - May 27, 2015.
R leads RapidMiner, Python catches up - Annual Software Poll; Top 10 Data Mining Algorithms; Exclusive Interview: Matei Zaharia, creator of Apache Spark; 5 Not-to-be-Missed Ideas about Big Data.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 19-25: KDnuggets Poll: R leads RapidMiner, Python catches up, Spark ignites; Choosing a Learning Algorithm in Azure ML - May 26, 2015.
R vs #Python, why each is better; Machine Learning predicts that a fair race between Mo Farah and Usain Bolt is 492m; How Machine Learning Is Eating the #Software World; Handy Guide: Choosing a Learning Algorithm in Azure ML.
- Dark Knowledge Distilled from Neural Network - May 26, 2015.
Geoff Hinton never stopped generating new ideas. This post is a review of his research on “dark knowledge”. What’s that supposed to mean?
- R vs Python for Data Science: The Winner is … - May 26, 2015.
In the battle of "best" data science tools, python and R both have their pros and cons. Selecting one over the other will depend on the use-cases, the cost of learning, and other common tools required.
- Datalicious: Head of Analytics - May 26, 2015.
Demonstrate your leadership by managing your own team of analysts in a fast paced and rewarding environment.
- CRN 2015 Emerging Big Data Vendors - May 26, 2015.
The 2015 Computer Reseller News, CRN Big Data Emerging vendors list features 54 companies launched since 2009 for their innovative tools, technology and committment to help businesses manage the Big Data Challenge.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – May 26 and beyond - May 25, 2015.
The Data Lake Debate, 3 Ways to Improve Targeted Marketing, Turning Machine Data Into Intelligent Action, Data Mining - Failure to Launch, Using electronic health records for better care, and more.
- White House sees Data as the 21st Century Catalyst for Effective Policing - May 25, 2015.
Review of the steps taken by White House over last six months to modernize police data systems to better fight crime as well as build trust between community and police.
- R leads RapidMiner, Python catches up, Big Data tools grow, Spark ignites - May 25, 2015.
R is the most popular overall tool among data miners, although Python usage is growing faster. RapidMiner continues to be most popular suite for data mining/data science. Hadoop/Big Data tools usage grew to 29%, propelled by 3x growth in Spark. Other tools with strong growth include H2O (0xdata), Actian, MLlib, and Alteryx.
- Top stories for May 17-23: 7 Methods for Data Dimensionality Reduction; Will the Real Data Scientists Please Stand Up? - May 24, 2015.
Poll: What Predictive Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science software/tools used? Seven Techniques for Data Dimensionality Reduction; Will the Real Data Scientists Please Stand Up?; R vs Python, why each is better.
- Blue Apron: Senior Data Engineer - May 23, 2015.
Own and drive forward major data engineering initiatives and architectural decisions for systems that ingest, transform, organize, and expose data.
- Blue Apron: Senior Data Scientist - May 23, 2015.
You will own major analysis and inference projects, working independently with other parts of the organization to deliver internal and external business value in a safe, reliable and scalable fashion.
- Deep Learning and Big Data Products: Synthos Technologies - May 23, 2015.
Using Deep Learning to build products on massive scale, virtues of transaction analytics, and which industries will likely to be disrupted in the near future, a perspective from Synthos Technologies.
- Blue Apron: Data Scientist - May 23, 2015.
Help us infer food preferences, create complex demand prediction models, quantitatively characterize recipe quality, build critical analytics to power a massive logistics operation, and identify innovative new data products.
- Blue Apron: Data Engineer - May 23, 2015.
Join our team to revolutionize the food chain through data; empower the organization through the ingestion, organization, manipulation, and delivery of fast, reliable, and consistent data.
- Cogitativo: Senior Data Scientist - May 22, 2015.
Our thesis is simple: through our proprietary machine learning models, we can begin to "understand" the true behaviors of our healthcare system and we can make the delivery of healthcare the way we always intended - simple, intuitive, and human.
- Exclusive Interview: Matei Zaharia, creator of Apache Spark, on Spark, Hadoop, Flink, and Big Data in 2020 - May 22, 2015.
Apache Spark is one the hottest Big Data technologies in 2015. KDnuggets talks to Matei Zaharia, creator of Apache Spark, about key things to know about it, why it is not a replacement for Hadoop, how it is better than Flink, and vision for Big Data in 2020.
- Interview: Linda Powell, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) on Data Governance for Finance Industry - May 22, 2015.
We discuss the chief data officer role at CFPB, big data opportunities and challenges, ontology, vintage data, data governance trends, advice, and more.
- Trifacta – Wrangling US Flight Data, part 2 - May 22, 2015.
This post shows how to use Trifacta to clean the data and enrich it with airport geo-locations and airline names, including filling missing values, and doing a lookup from another dataset. We also learn which is the best airline at O’Hare airport.
- Top 10 Data Mining Algorithms, Explained - May 21, 2015.
Top 10 data mining algorithms, selected by top researchers, are explained here, including what do they do, the intuition behind the algorithm, available implementations of the algorithms, why use them, and interesting applications.
- How to reduce Data Hoarding, get Better Visualizations and Decisions - May 21, 2015.
Creating a hodge-podge of pretty pictures of every datapoint is a guaranteed way to destroy the value of a visualization. We examine how to reduce such data hoarding and improve decisions.
- Great West Casualty Company: Manager, Business Analytics - May 21, 2015.
Lead our Business Analytics team, bring a strong business perspective and intelligence, an analytical mindset, and a passion to develop data driven services, coupled with a background in Actuarial Science.
- 5 Not-to-be-Missed Ideas about Big Data - May 21, 2015.
The things we can measure are never exactly what we care about; When everything hinges on metrics, people will game the metrics to the point of losing any meaning; and more key ideas summarized by Kaiser Fung.
- CRN 2015 Big Data Management Companies - May 21, 2015.
Big Data and it's ease-of-use plays a key role in this year’s ‘CRN Big Data 100: Top 30 Data Management companies’. New additions include At Scale, Databricks, and Tamr. A majority of these companies develop open-source NoSQL database technology.
- Simplilearn: Big Data, Analytics online courses discount, Free ebook - May 21, 2015.
The role of a Data Scientist is ever evolving and a candidate with up-to-date skills will be preferred over their peers across industries. Learn SAS, Hadoop, R, Big Data, and Analytics skills with Simplilearn online courses, special discount until May 30.
- Datalicious: Analytics Sales Engineer (Sydney) - May 20, 2015.
Take ownership of technical sales for creating analytics-based solutions for customers, including technical qualification, presentations, demonstrations, and running performance test.
- Datalicious: Analytics Project Manager (Sydney) - May 20, 2015.
Experienced Project Manager with track record in managing digital and technical projects with a solid understanding of data/analytics concepts to join our Sydney office.
- Essays On Statistics Denial - May 20, 2015.
Statistics denial comes in waves as areas of application discover and rediscover the potential of data insights. We examine the statistics denial myths and where they come from.
- NoSQL Databases: comparing MongoDB, HDInsight, and DocumentDB - May 20, 2015.
We compare 3 major NoSQL databases: MongoDB, DocumentDB, and HDInsight in terms of data models, scalability, availability, query types, and support for transactions.
- I’ve Been Replaced by an Analytics Robot - May 20, 2015.
A veteran statistician reflects on the journey from a statistician of the past to data scientist of today, how the work he used to do became automated, and what future can data scientists can expect.
- KDnuggets™ News 15:n16, May 20: 7 Techniques for Dimensionality Reduction; Who are the real Data Scientists? - May 20, 2015.
Seven Techniques for Data Dimensionality Reduction; Will the Real Data Scientists Please Stand Up. Most Viewed Data Mining Videos on YouTube; Should Data Science Really Do That?
- Geisinger Health System: Associate VP, Enterprise Data Management - May 19, 2015.
Set the strategic direction and manage a high functioning, world class analytic platform and service department.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 12-18: Hadoop demand falls; Andrew Ng Machine Learning class, excellent course notes - May 19, 2015.
#Hadoop demand falls, 54% of enterprises have no plans for it; Download your entire #Google search history; #DataScience for #Dummies: An interview with author Lilian @BigDataGal Pierson; Andrew Ng Machine Learning Coursera class - complete, excellent course notes.
- Big Data Lessons from Microsoft “how-old” Experiment - May 19, 2015.
Salil Mehta examines Microsoft’s viral “How old do I look?” site, the limits of its age recognition, possible algorithms, and implications for Big Data analysis.
- Interview: Antonio Magnaghi, TicketMaster on Why Honesty is Key for Analytics Success - May 19, 2015.
We discuss lessons from implementing lambda architecture, impact of Big Data on recommender systems, trends, advice, and more.
- R vs Python, why each is better - May 19, 2015.
A report on a free-wheeling Australian meetup discussing "Why R is Better" and "Why Python is Better". What do you think?
- Strategies for Monetizing Big Data - May 19, 2015.
In the current tsunami of “Big Data” every business wants to get value out of the data. We examine four overarching data strategies and their specific monetization strategies.
- PAW Chicago: Five Unbeatable Analytics Workshops - May 19, 2015.
Take your predictive analytics up a notch with unbeatable PAW Chicago workshops, covering R, predictive modeling, ensemble methods and more.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – May 19 and beyond - May 18, 2015.
Demystify Data Flows, How Analytics Might Save Your Life, 5 Predictive Analytics Lessons, 3 Ways to Improve Targeted Marketing, Building an Analytics Team, Data Mining - Failure to Launch, and more.
- Cartoon: How Smart Do You Look? - May 18, 2015.
The follow-up to "How-Old" demo, New Deep Learning "How Smart You Are" IQ and Face Recognition Algorithm accidentally discovers the smartest being on the internet.
- Interview: Antonio Magnaghi, TicketMaster on Unifying Heterogeneous Analytics through Lambda Architecture - May 18, 2015.
We discuss the role of Data Science team at Ticketmaster, ecommerce data characteristics, analytics based on highly variant data flow, infrastructure challenges, and merits of lambda architecture.
- Will the Real Data Scientists Please Stand Up? - May 18, 2015.
Job postings for data scientists are everywhere. But what is a data scientist? I present a few archetypes.
- Most Viewed Data Mining Videos on YouTube - May 18, 2015.
The top Data Mining YouTube videos by those like Google and Revolution Analytics covers topics ranging from statistics in data mining to using R for data mining to data mining in sports.
- How to Lead a Data Science Contest without Reading the Data - May 17, 2015.
We examine a “wacky” boosting method that lets you climb the public leaderboard without even looking at the data . But there is a catch, so read on before trying to win Kaggle competitions with this approach.
- Top stories for May 10-16: Poll: Analytics, Data Mining software used; 3 things about Data Science not in books - May 17, 2015.
Predictive Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science software used?; 3 Things About Data Science You Won't Find In Books; Most Viewed Big Data Videos on YouTube; Machine Learning Wars: Amazon vs Google vs BigML vs PredicSis.
- UC Analytics Summit, Cincinnati, May 29, 2015 - May 15, 2015.
UC Summit will feature two analytics leaders: John Elder and Stephen Few, 4 afternoon tracks focusing on descriptive / prescriptive / predictive analytics, building your analytics team, and more.
- Interview: Sheridan Hitchens, Auction.com on Customer Lifetime Value as the Cornerstone for Marketing Analytics - May 15, 2015.
We discuss Customer Lifetime Value (CLV) metric, maturity level for the CLV metric, different models for calculating it, challenges in designing strategy based on CLV and tackling attribution.
- Data Scientists Thoughts that Make Me Happy: Chris Wiggins - May 15, 2015.
A Happy Data Scientist makes brilliant images for inspiring quotes by Chris Wiggins, NYTimes Chief Data Scientist - Enjoy.
- ebook: Learning Apache Mahout, Big Data Analytics - May 15, 2015.
Acquire practical skills in Big Data Analytics and explore data science with Apache Mahout with this comprehensive guide with numerous code examples and end-to-end case studies.
- ebook: Learning Apache Mahout Classification - May 15, 2015.
If you are a data scientist with Hadoop experience and interest in machine learning, this book is for you. Learn about different classification in Apache Mahout and build your own classifiers.
- Data Science for Workforce Optimization: Reducing Employee Attrition - May 15, 2015.
Predictive analytics is growing its reach, see how it is affecting workforce analytics domain. In this presentation Pasha Roberts explains what is in it for students, managers and practitioners.
- Stanford Webinar: Big Data + Electronic Health Records = Better Healthcare, June 18 - May 15, 2015.
We show how to transform unstructured patient notes into a de-identified, temporally ordered, patient-feature matrix, and examine use-cases use the resulting data to improve learning of practice-based evidence in electronic medical records.
- Surprising Random Correlations - May 14, 2015.
An interesting demo showing how easy it is to find surprising correlations in real data. Is German unemployment rate related to Apple Stock? Is 10-year Treasury rate related to price of Red Winter Wheat? You will be surprised.
- INFORMS Analytics courses: Discrete-Event Simulation, Essential Practice Skills for Analytics Professionals - May 14, 2015.
INFORMS Continuing Education courses are designed to enhance the skills for today’s analytics professionals. SPECIAL OFFER: Register now to save $350 on registration for the upcoming course Introduction to Monte Carlo and Discrete-Event Simulation, offered on May 28-29 in Washington, DC.
- Interview: Hobson Lane, SHARP Labs on How Analytics can Show You “All the Light You Cannot See” - May 14, 2015.
We discuss the impact of rapid growth in magnitude of data, programming skills for data science, major trends, advice, data science skills, and more.
- Cloud Machine Learning’s Ostrich Mania & Uncanny Valley - May 14, 2015.
Cloud machine learning services are popping up by the tens, providing automated data science solutions. What will the anticipated customers want? They may follow a peculiar distribution reminiscent of the uncanny valley.
- Seven Techniques for Data Dimensionality Reduction - May 14, 2015.
Performing data mining with high dimensional data sets. Comparative study of different feature selection techniques like Missing Values Ratio, Low Variance Filter, PCA, Random Forests / Ensemble Trees etc.
- In-Memory Computing Summit, San Francisco, June 29-30 - May 14, 2015.
The In-Memory Computing Summit 2015 is the first and only industry-wide event of its kind, where Fast Data meets Big Data. Get KDnuggets discount if you register by may 31.
- Interview: Hobson Lane, SHARP Labs on the Beauty of Simplicity in Analytics - May 13, 2015.
We discuss Predictive Analytics projects at Sharp Labs of America, common myths, value of simplicity, tools and technologies, and notorious data quality issues.
- Plotly: Online Dashboards That Update Your Data and Graphs - May 13, 2015.
New online visualization option from Plot.ly allows you to have data visualizations and graphs that update dynamically.
- Last chance – Participate in the Rexer Analytics 2015 Data Miner Survey – before it closes May 30 - May 13, 2015.
Data Analysts, Predictive Modelers, Data Scientists, Data Miners, and all other types of analytic professionals, students, and academics - please participate in the Rexer Analytics 2015 Data Miner Survey before it closes May 30.
- Should Data Science Really Do That? - May 13, 2015.
Data Science amazing progress in its ability to do predictions and analysis is raising important ethical questions, such as should that data be collected? Should the collected data be used for that application? Should you be involved?
- Predictive Analytics World Workforce 2015: Highlights - May 13, 2015.
PAW Workforce 2015 highlights include: analytics is now redefining Human Resources, Analytics lessons are quite applicable to workforce questions, and unique challenges of Workforce analytics.
- KDnuggets™ News 15:n15, May 13: Most Popular Analytics, Data Mining Software – Vote; Top Big Data Videos - May 13, 2015.
Vote for Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science Software/Tools Used ; Most Viewed Big Data Videos on YouTube; 3 Things About Data Science You Won't Find In Books; Cartoon: Data Scientist Mother
- Data ScienceTech Institute (Paris or Nice, France): Visiting Professors - May 12, 2015.
Data ScienceTech Institute, a new program offering European MSc in Data Science, in partnership with SAS, NVIDIA, and KDnuggets.com, recruiting visiting professors for our programs in Paris and Nice Sophia-Antipolis.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 4-11: Why #HowOldRobot went viral and how does it work? 3 Things About #DataScience You Won’t Find In Books - May 12, 2015.
Why #HowOldRobot went viral and how does it work? 3 Things About #DataScience You Won't Find In Books; Cartoon reminds all Data Scientists to remember their Mother; Data Scientist vs Data #Engineer.
- Quantcast: Senior Principal Scientist - May 12, 2015.
A seasoned leader to guide our data scientists, software engineers, and company in applying innovative machine learning, data mining, statistics, and software development techniques to solve business problems.
- PAW Chicago: The Power of Predictive Analytics World – Why the buzz? - May 12, 2015.
PAW for Business, the industry leading predictive analytics conference, will be in Chicago, June 8-11, 2015. Learn why there is such buzz about the conference and what people are saying about it. KDnuggets discount.