- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Sep 22 and beyond - Sep 22, 2014.
Future of Hadoop Analytics, What Works: Open Source Analytics Software, Data Mining: Failure To Launch, Evolution of Classification, Not all Graph Databases are created equal, Best Practices for Applying Advanced Analytics in Hadoop, and more.
- Data Analytics for Business Leaders Explained - Sep 22, 2014.
Learn about a variety of different approaches to data analytics and their advantages and limitations from a business leader's perspective in part 1 of this post on data analytics techniques.
- WCAI Research Opportunity: Understanding, Expanding, and Predicting Customer Engagement - Sep 22, 2014.
A new consumer interaction dataset from an international beauty retailer will provide researchers with an opportunity to investigate the interaction between customers and brands. Register for the Oct 17 webinar, and submit proposals by Nov 3.
- Key Bioinformatics Terms for Data Scientists - Sep 22, 2014.
Learn key bioinformatics terms including the various "-omics" and the differences between the types of DNA and RNA to help you understand one of the key applications of data science.
- INFORMS Analytic Maturity Model - Sep 21, 2014.
Inspect your organization, its analytics capacity, and its data and infrastructure using the new INFORMS Analytic Maturity Model to improve its analytics abilities for free.
- Top stories for Sep 14-20: Coursera Mining Massive Datasets MOOC; Rattle package for Data Mining in R - Sep 21, 2014.
Coursera / Stanford Mining Massive Datasets MOOC; Rattle package for Data Mining and Data Science in R; edX "Learning From Data"; Caltech course; Neural Networks and Deep Learning, free online book (draft).
- Helsinki: Postdoc Positions in Algorithms, Machine Learning, Big Data - Sep 20, 2014.
Aalto U. and U. of Helsinki are looking for several researchers in Algorithms, Bioinformatics, Big Data Processing, Machine Learning, and related areas. Apply by Oct 12, 2014.
- MasterCard: Business Leader, Product Development, Fraud Data Strategy and Modeling - Sep 20, 2014.
MasterCard is a technology company in the global payments business. We connect consumers, financial institutions, merchants, governments and businesses worldwide and enable them to use secure and convenient electronic forms of payment.
- Neural Networks and Deep Learning, free online book (draft) - Sep 20, 2014.
A free online book explaining the core ideas behind artificial neural networks and deep learning (draft), with new chapters added every 2-3 months.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 17-18: 20 questions to ask a Data Scientist; Business Analytics ROI is 1301% - Sep 19, 2014.
20 questions you should ask a Data Scientist for a good conversation; Mad (Data) Scientist asks: "Why Are We Still Teaching t-tests?"; Great slides from @RDataMining: Intro, Data Exploration, Regression, Classification; Rattle package for Data Mining and Data Science in R.
- CuDNN – A new library for Deep Learning - Sep 19, 2014.
Becoming more and more popular, deep learning is proved to be useful in artificial intelligence. Last week, NVIDIA’s new library for deep neural networks, cuDNN, has attracted much attention.
- edX “Learning From Data” Caltech course - Sep 18, 2014.
This introductory Machine Learning course taught by top Caltech professor Abu-Mostafa covers theory, algorithms and applications, with focus on real understanding. Starts Sep 25 on edX.
- RapidMiner Resources: Educational Videos, Course - Sep 18, 2014.
RapidMiner videos focus on important and fundamental aspects of this software suite; the site also offers a "RapidMiner Analyst Preparation" Course of 43 videos which prepares learners to take the official RapidMiner Analyst exam.
- Most Viewed Web Mining Lectures - Sep 18, 2014.
Discover interesting lectures on topics like mining information networks and identifying influential members of online communities in this list of the top viewed web mining lectures on videolectures.net.
- Health Integrated: Manager of Data Engineering - Sep 18, 2014.
Responsible for all aspects of data exchange processes and software in collaboration with developers, business analysts, product managers, and program managers.
- Health Integrated: Healthcare Data Scientist - Sep 18, 2014.
Creating state of the art analytics solutions that can be shared across product lines and managed care businesses.
- Analytics Team Dissolution – Unique Case Study - Sep 18, 2014.
This unique case helps to understand how to build and lead an effective business analytics team, by learning from the sharp decline of one such team.
- Health Integrated: Big Data DevOps Engineer - Sep 18, 2014.
Prototyping, new development and production hardening the Big Data Platform. Work with different teams to manage the build out and administration of the big data clusters.
- KDnuggets 14:n24, Hiring Data Scientists; Most Viewed Machine Learning, Data Mining Talks - Sep 18, 2014.
KDnuggets Analytics, Big Data, Data mining, and Data Science stories, including Features, Software, News, Opinions, Interviews, Reports, Webcasts, Courses, Meetings, Jobs, Academic, Publications, Tweets, and CFP.
- 10 reasons to attend the Analytics 2014 conference - Sep 17, 2014.
Don't miss Analytics 2014 conference, at Bellagio Las Vegas, Oct 20-21. Here are the top 10 reasons why you should attend, including a KDnuggets discount.
- PAW: Predictive Analytics World Boston, Learn Uplift Modeling - Sep 17, 2014.
Uplift modeling is a hot analytical method to predict influence, and its adoption is rapidly growing. Learn how to do it at several sessions at PAW Boston, Oct 5-9. KDnuggets Discount.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 15-16 - Sep 17, 2014.
14 Awesome (and Free) Data Science Books on Statistical and Machine Learning; Mining Massive Datasets, free on Coursera, by top Stanford researchers - starts Sep 29; Nike: Senior Data Scientist.
- Webinar: Learn Analytics Best Practices for Hadoop - Sep 17, 2014.
Learn how to overcome some of the main challenges of Hadoop and successfully implement your own advanced analytics in a big data Hadoop environment. Free RapidMiner Webinar, Oct 2.
- Rattle package for Data Mining and Data Science in R - Sep 17, 2014.
Try the newly-released version of Rattle, the open source R package for data mining, and enjoy accessing a huge array of data mining algorithms through a convenient interface.
- Nike: Senior Data Scientist, Applied Analytics - Sep 16, 2014.
Be one of the analytics professionals generating business-driving multichannel insight and CRM targeting strategies for Nike Direct to Consumer business.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 10-14: Most Viewed Machine Learning and Text Mining Talks - Sep 16, 2014.
Most Viewed Machine Learning Talks and Text Mining Lectures at Videolectures; 3 Marks of Real #DataScience; MOOC: Process Mining: Data science in Action.
- Coursera / Stanford Mining Massive Datasets MOOC - Sep 16, 2014.
Don't miss this Big Data MOOC on Coursera (free)! Top Stanford researchers teach efficient and scalable methods for extracting models and other information from very large amounts of data. Starts Sep 29.
- Skyhigh Networks: Data Scientist – Big Data - Sep 16, 2014.
Help us develop data models for user behavior, security threat detection and other advanced persistent threats, as part of groundbreaking technology for enabling the safe adoption of cloud services.
- Text Analytics Summit 2014, San Francisco, Nov 4-5 - Sep 16, 2014.
13th Annual Text Analytics Summit West will be back in San Francisco Nov 4-5, with workshops on Nov 3. Join text analytics practitioners, vendors, visionaries and thought leaders from top companies. KDnuggets discount.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Sep 16 and beyond - Sep 16, 2014.
NASA Earth Science, Modern Regression Analysis, Strata + Hadoop NYC preview, Data Mining: Failure To Launch, Data Science with R, Not All Graph Databases Are Created Equal, and more.
- DuPont Pioneer: Data Scientist - Sep 15, 2014.
Seek a strong data scientist with background in machine learning and data mining, a critical position with the potential for significant, long-term impact on our business.
- INFORMS The Business of Big Data 2014: Day 2 Highlights - Sep 15, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data leaders from Accenture, Analytics Media Group, SAS and Intel on day 2 of INFORMS The Business of Big Data.
- Rocket Fuel: Principal Research Scientist – Machine Learning - Sep 15, 2014.
Develop predictive models and optimization algorithms for ad targeting and bidding on active ad exchanges to optimize advertising results. Grow and lead a team of world class machine learning engineers / scientists.
- Top stories for Sep 7-13: Hiring Data Scientists; MOOC – Process Mining - Sep 14, 2014.
Hiring Data Scientists: What to look for?; MOOC: Process Mining: Data science in Action; Most Viewed Machine Learning Talks at Videolectures.
- Exclusive Interview: Imran Siddiqi, SAP on Why the Business needs Ambitious Big Data Use Cases - Sep 13, 2014.
We discuss the selection and tracking of use cases, key points for designing a sustainable information architecture, the need for ambitious use cases, SAP's competitive differentiation, and more.
- Xerox (Bangalore): (Sr) Research Scientists – Text & Graph Analytics - Sep 13, 2014.
Work on challenging research problems with real life relevance pertaining to different business verticals such as Customer Care, Social Media, Healthcare, Education.
- Monash: Lecturer (Data Science) - Sep 13, 2014.
Come work on research/teaching in the world's most livable city (4 times running) with the strongest academic machine learning team in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Customer Analytics Summit 2014 Chicago: Day 2 Highlights - Sep 12, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data & Analytics experts from Microsoft, Sears Holdings and Obama for America on day 2 of Customer Analytics Summit 2014.
- Most Viewed Text Mining Lectures - Sep 12, 2014.
View some of the most popular text mining lectures from videolectures.net and learn about topics including mining web data and building large-scale information retrieval systems.
- What is Big Data – answers from thought leaders - Sep 12, 2014.
What do you think when you hear “big data”? Maybe take a moment and think about this, before you let all the opinions below influence you.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 3-9 - Sep 12, 2014.
What Is #BigData? Definitions from 40+ thought leaders; Fewer companies are hiring Data Scientists but #DataScience is still hot; Choosing the right estimator scikit-learn #CheatSheet; How do Twitter Analytics show followers gender, when they dont ask?
- Exclusive Interview: Imran Siddiqi, SAP on the Strategic Value Proposition of Big Data - Sep 11, 2014.
We discuss the impact of Big Data advancements on business strategy, value proposition of Big Data, importance of partnerships, key risks and mitigation strategy, how to win sustained patronage for Big Data projects and more.
- Customer Analytics Summit 2014 Chicago: Day 1 Highlights - Sep 11, 2014.
Highlights from the presentations by Big Data & Analytics experts from ShareThis, Netflix and Ancestry on day 1 of Customer Analytics Summit 2014.
- Most Viewed Machine Learning Talks at Videolectures - Sep 11, 2014.
Discover lectures from a variety of summer schools and conference tutorials on machine learning in this list of the top lectures on the subject from videolectures.net.
- Schlumberger: Advanced Analytics Leader - Sep 11, 2014.
Lead the team working with the data and business intelligence resources to build and deliver analytics capabilities to the business segments and support the business and IT transformation.
- Schlumberger: Lead Data Scientist - Sep 11, 2014.
Work with the data and business intelligence resources to build and deliver analytics capabilities to the business segments and support the business and IT transformation.
- Schlumberger: Senior Data Scientist - Sep 11, 2014.
Working with the data and business intelligence resources to build and deliver analytics capabilities to the business segments and support the business and IT transformation.
- Interview: Joe Otto, Alpine on Selecting the Right Big Data Vendor - Sep 10, 2014.
We discuss Big Data vendor landscape, key relevant questions, Alpine's competitive differentiation, important qualities sought in data scientists, and more.
- MOOC: “Process Mining: Data science in Action” - Sep 10, 2014.
This 6 week online course provides data science knowledge that can be applied directly to analyze and improve processes in a variety of domains.
- Alibaba: Senior Data Scientist - Sep 10, 2014.
Develop rich insight into consumer behaviors, preferences and experiences from the vast resources in order to improve the customer experience across a broad range of areas.
- Most Viewed Big Data Talks at Videolectures - Sep 10, 2014.
Learn about topics ranging from applying big data to industrial settings to using machine learning on big data knowledge graphs from these big data lectures on videolectures.net.
- HICT: 20 funded doctoral student positions - Sep 10, 2014.
HICT, a joint initiative by Aalto U. and U. of Helsinki has 20 fully funded positions for exceptional doctoral students in algorithms and machine learning, life science informatics, networked systems and other areas.
- Interview: Joe Otto, Alpine on Why Big Data is all about Empowerment & Collaboration - Sep 9, 2014.
We discuss the story of Alpine Data Labs, the recent recognition of Alpine, effect of YARN, major customer use cases, and challenges in consumerizing Big Data.
- Hiring Data Scientists: What to look for? - Sep 9, 2014.
Know key characteristics of what makes up a good data scientist based upon the three authors’ consulting and research experience, having collaborated with many companies world-wide on the topics of big data and analytics.
- Most Viewed Data Mining Talks at Videolectures - Sep 9, 2014.
Watch the top 25 most viewed popular data mining lectures on VideoLectures.NET to learn about topics ranging general big-data tutorials to monetizing data mining startups.
- Upcoming Webcasts on Analytics, Big Data, Data Science – Sep 9 and beyond - Sep 9, 2014.
Modern Regression Analysis, Tamr and Forrester Research, Hadoop for Machine Learning, NASA Earth Science Data, Strata + Hadoop NYC preview, and more.
- Founders of Yahoo! and MySQL Invest in Import.io - Sep 8, 2014.
Import.io raises $3M round from Jerry Yang and David Axmark. Released a streamlined version of web data extraction tool with exciting new features.
- WhitePages: Senior Statistician / Data Scientist - Sep 8, 2014.
You have a unique combination of analytic, engineering, and communication skills that allows you to address all aspects of making data valuable, and WhitePages has a unique challenge for you.
- Top stories for Aug 31 – Sep 6 - Sep 8, 2014.
Sibyl: Google system for Large Scale Machine Learning; Four main languages for Analytics; Cartoon: Robot Labor Day 2050; Exclusive: Ajay Bhargava, TCS shares the Big Data Mantra.
- Exclusive Interview: Ajay Bhargava, TCS on the Ideal Analytics Curriculum at Graduate-level - Sep 5, 2014.
We discuss the differences between analytics and Big Data, the evolution of expectations from data science, important qualities desired in data scientists, ideal curriculum for Analytics focused programs, advice and more.
- Exclusive Interview: Ajay Bhargava, TCS shares the Big Data Mantra: Harness Data and Harvest Value - Sep 4, 2014.
We discuss how to tame Big Data through harnessing data and harvesting value, the top Big Data priorities in Insurance sector, short-term and long-term needs of Healthcare Analytics, and more.
- Top stories in August: Four main languages for Analytics, Data Mining, Data Science - Sep 4, 2014.
Also Deep Learning resources; Sibyl - Google system for Large Scale Machine Learning; Exclusive: Dell Management on Analytics.
- SAS Analytics 2014, Las Vegas, October - Sep 4, 2014.
Join nearly a thousand analytics professionals at the Analytics 2014 conference in Las Vegas on Oct 20-21. Learn new skills. Grow your network. Have fun! Big KDnuggets discount.
- Northwestern Online Master of Science in Predictive Analytics - Sep 4, 2014.
Build in-demand skills for the growing analytics field, prepare for leadership-level career, learn from distinguished faculty and industry experts, and build analytic expertise.
- Nomis Solutions: Principal, Business Analytics - Sep 3, 2014.
Supporting sales, defining business requirements, designing the right solution working with our clients, proving it in the market, and producing the insight to ensure customers extract the value that we promise.
- August 2014 Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining Acquisitions and Startups Activity - Sep 3, 2014.
August 2014 acquisitions, startups, and company activity in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science: Infosys, Enlitic, Guavus, Google buys Jetpac, Algorithmia, MedAssets buys Sq2, Yahoo buys Zofari, Adatao.
- Bosch Research and Technology Center: Multiple Data Scientist, Data Mining Engineer positions - Sep 3, 2014.
Join the Data Science team at Bosch RTC to research and develop novel, large scale machine learning and data mining algorithms, for Predictive Maintenance, Health Informatics, Vehicle Diagnostics, Manufacturing, and other applications.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 1-2 - Sep 3, 2014.
#DataMining Reddit using Python and R #rstats; Is @TheEconomist wrong? Money does "buy" happiness, on the log-log scale; Facebook Data Scientists: Who Are They and What Do They Do; Online Master of Science in Data Science.
- Shifting CXO crowns and changing Analytics Leadership - Sep 3, 2014.
Learn about how the analytics landscape has shifted in recent years and how this has pushed the CXO to pursue higher levels of analytics competition to meet business needs.
- CoLaboratory: Doing Data Science Collaboratively Like Google Doc - Sep 3, 2014.
A review of CoLaboratory which enables data scientists to write code like on Google Doc.
- KDnuggets 14:n23, My KDD-2014 Report; Data Science for Humans or Machines? Labor Day 2050 - Sep 3, 2014.
KDnuggets Analytics, Big Data, Data mining, and Data Science stories, including my KDD-2014 report: The Biggest, Best, and Booming Data Science Meeting; The Magic Module network and Privacy vs Big Data; Sibyl: Google system for Large Scale Machine Learning.
- Sep 2014 – Mar 2015 Meetings in Analytics, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data Science - Sep 3, 2014.
Coming soon: PAW Gov, ECML/PKDD, BayesiaLab UC, Big Data Innovation Summit, PAW Boston, PAW Healthcare, RecSys, Strata + Hadoop NYC, Analytics 2014, BigData TechCon, Data Analytics Week, Text Analytics Summit West,and many more.
- BayesiaLab User Conference, Sep 16-24, UCLA - Sep 2, 2014.
Research practitioners from leading organizations will gather at UCLA for the only event dedicated to applied research and analytics with Bayesian networks and BayesiaLab. Pre-conference program includes courses on BayesiaLab and Causal Inference with Graphical Models.
- Online Master of Science in Data Science - Sep 2, 2014.
Lewis University online MS in Data Science program offers two concentrations: Data Science for Computer Scientists and Data Science for Life Scientists.
- Webcast – Analytically Speaking Featuring Michael J. A. Berry and Gordon S. Linoff - Sep 2, 2014.
Berry and Linoff talk about the current data mining landscape, including new methods, new types of data and the importance of using the right analysis for your problem.
- PAW: Predictive Analytics World London, October - Sep 2, 2014.
See Dr. John Elder in London at the leading Predictive Analytics conference, and get KDnuggets Discount - 15% off full conference passes to Predictive Analytics World London.
- KDD-2014 report, part 2: The Magic Module network and Privacy vs Big Data - Sep 2, 2014.
Here is part 2 of my report on KDD-2014, the biggest and the best Data Science meeting: The Magic Module genes, Privacy vs Big Data, and should we ask for consent of data subjects?
- Ontotext text mining, semantic search, and graph database - Sep 2, 2014.
Ontotext blends text mining, semantic annotation and semantic search with a graph database that infers new meaning at scale, helping organizations find meaning in large volumes of structured and unstructured data.
- Analytical Skills Survey for 2014 - Sep 2, 2014.
Have your voice be heard - participate in the Analytical Skills, Tools and Attitudes Survey 2014, and see the challenges faced by others.
- Age homophily for predicting age of mobile phone customers - Sep 2, 2014.
Homophily (a tendency of people to associate with others like them) is ubiquitous in real world and in social networks. We show the existence of age homophily in a mobile phone communication network and exploit it to predict the age group for all users in the network.