- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 19-25: 10 Free Must-Read Books for Machine Learning and Data Science - Apr 26, 2017.
Also Practical #DeepLearning For Coders-18 hours of free lessons; Different views of #Machinelearning #cartoon #humor; Scikit-learn #MachineLearning classification algorithms.
- Live Immersive Predictive Analytics & Data Science Experiential Training - Apr 26, 2017.
Successful analytics at the organizational-level starts with immersive, interactive training and goal-driven strategy. TMA’s live online and classroom training spans all skill levels and analytic team roles to build analytic leaders. Live Online in May and September, Seattle in July and Wash-DC in October.
- What Data You Analyzed – KDnuggets Poll Results and Trends - Apr 26, 2017.
Image/video data analysis is surging, JSON replacing XML, anonymized data usage is growing in US and Europe (but not in Asia), itemsets and Twitter analysis is declining - some of the highlights of KDnuggets Poll on data types used.
- Webinar: Predictive Analytics, Failure to Launch – May 16 - Apr 26, 2017.
Learn how to get started with predictive modeling and overcome strategic and tactical limitations that cause data mining projects to fall short of their potential. Next webinar is May 16.
- The Analytics of Emotion and Depression - Apr 26, 2017.
Analytics can be used to provide a boost to the cure of depression. How analytics is being adopted by companies like Microsoft, Facebook to handle and detect vulnerable targets of depression.
- How to Build a Recurrent Neural Network in TensorFlow - Apr 26, 2017.
This is a no-nonsense overview of implementing a recurrent neural network (RNN) in TensorFlow. Both theory and practice are covered concisely, and the end result is running TensorFlow RNN code.
- KDnuggets™ News 17:n16, Apr 26: Awesome Deep Learning: Most Cited Deep Learning Papers; Data Science for the Layman - Apr 26, 2017.
Awesome Deep Learning: Most Cited Deep Learning Papers; Data Science for the Layman; Best Data Science Courses from Udemy; Negative Results on Negative Images: Major Flaw in Deep Learning?
- Spark Summit – Explore the future of Data Science and Machine Learning, San Francisco, June 5-7 – KDnuggets Offer - Apr 25, 2017.
Choose from over 175 sessions in 10 different tracks, including Developer, Data Science, Enterprise Applications, Machine Learning, Streaming and Spark Experience & Use Cases. Save 15% with code KDNUGGETS.
- The Data Science of Steel, or Data Factory to Help Steel Factory - Apr 25, 2017.
Applying Machine Learning to steel production is really hard! Here are some lessons from Yandex researchers on how to balance the need for findings to be accurate, useful, and understandable at the same time.
- AI & Machine Learning Black Boxes: The Need for Transparency and Accountability - Apr 25, 2017.
When something goes wrong, as it inevitably does, it can be a daunting task discovering the behavior that caused an event that is locked away inside a black box where discoverability is virtually impossible.
- Must-Know: When can parallelism make your algorithms run faster? When could it make your algorithms run slower? - Apr 25, 2017.
Efficient implementation is key to achieving the benefits of parallelization, even though parallelism is a good idea when the task can be divided into sub-tasks that can be executed independent of each other without communication or shared resources.
- Best Data Science Courses from Udemy (only $10 till Apr 29) - Apr 24, 2017.
Here a list of the best courses in data science from Udemy, covering Data Science, Machine Learning, Python, Spark, Tableau, and Hadoop - only $10 until April 29, 2017.
- Industrial Asset Management – Slaying hurdles to get the most from your assets - Apr 24, 2017.
A well-structured asset performance management (APM) plan can give real-time visibility of equipment reliability while predicting possible failures.
- Top Stories, Apr 17-23: Awesome Deep Learning: Most Cited Deep Learning Papers; The Value of Exploratory Data Analysis - Apr 24, 2017.
Awesome Deep Learning: Most Cited Deep Learning Papers; The Value of Exploratory Data Analysis; 10 Free Must-Read Books for Machine Learning and Data Science; Forrester vs Gartner on Data Science Platforms and Machine Learning Solutions; Data Science for the Layman
- How to Battle the Data Wheel of Death - Apr 24, 2017.
Data not Constantly Maintained ->Data Becomes Irrelevant -> People Lose Trust -> Use Data Less. We examine 4 reasons for such wheel of death, and what can you do about it.
- How Automated ML is Transforming the Predictive Analytics Landscape - Apr 24, 2017.
Learn how DataRobot automates predictive modeling, and how our platform can deliver these same types of insights and a substantial productivity boost to your machine learning endeavors, on Tuesday, May 2nd at 1:00 pm ET.
- Data Science Dividends – A Gentle Introduction to Financial Data Analysis - Apr 24, 2017.
This post outlines some very basic methods for performing financial data analysis using Python, Pandas, and Matplotlib, focusing mainly on stock price data. A good place for beginners to start.
- PAW for Manufacturing Chicago Needs You - Apr 24, 2017.
Join us again this year in Chicago for Predictive Analytics World for Manufacturing, June 19-22, and receive 20% off current conference rates for two-day passes with the discount code MISSYOU.
- Cartoon: the distance between Espresso and Cappuccino - Apr 22, 2017.
This cartoon takes a vector space approach to your favorite drinks and examines the distance between Espresso and Cappuccino. Warning: this is only funny to Data Scientists and mathematicians.
- General Mills: Sr. Associate, Strategic Revenue Management - Apr 21, 2017.
Seeking a candidate for a Strategic Revenue Management role, someone who is passionate about Revenue Management / Pricing and energized by working at the intersection of marketing, sales, finance, analysis, and insight.
- General Mills: Associate Manager, Strategic Revenue Management - Apr 21, 2017.
Seeking a candidate for a Strategic Revenue Management Analytics role, someone who is curious and energized by analytical challenges, has strong analytics skills and mindset, and believes in the power of data to transform the performance of brands and businesses.
- Institute for Defense Analyses: Sr. Data Scientist - Apr 21, 2017.
Seeking a data scientist with expertise in machine learning and predictive analytics to join the Research Staff of the Cost Analysis and Research Division (CARD). The Senior Data Scientist will apply modern data analytics techniques in support of CARD projects and analyses.
- The AI Conference – continue the conversation, San Francisco, June 2 – KDnuggets Offer - Apr 21, 2017.
AI Conference will focus on emerging technology with a specific focus around projects, teams and people who are working on Artificial General Intelligence and related topics. Use code KDnuggets to save on tickets.
- Difference Between Big Data and Internet of Things - Apr 21, 2017.
If you cannot manage real-time streaming data and make real-time analytics and real-time decisions at the edge, then you are not doing IOT or IOT analytics, in my humble opinion. So what is required to support these IOT data management and analytic requirements?
- They Want to Get Rid of Me! (Data Scientist Lament) - Apr 21, 2017.
We examine “citizen” data scientists and debate between Jeffersonians, who seek to empower everyday worker with data science tools, and Platonists who argue that democratizing data science leads to anarchy and overfitting.
- Awesome Deep Learning: Most Cited Deep Learning Papers - Apr 21, 2017.
This post introduces a curated list of the most cited deep learning papers (since 2012), provides the inclusion criteria, shares a few entry examples, and points to the full listing for those interested in investigating further.
- Stanford Webinar: Pitfalls of A/B Testing - Apr 21, 2017.
Join Ramesh Johari, Associate Professor, Stanford Department of Management Science & Engineering, as he discusses some common practices and pitfalls in A/B testing, Apr 26, 2017.
- Artificial Intelligence Conference from O’Reilly Media, NYC, June 26-29 – KDnuggets Offer - Apr 20, 2017.
AI is the hottest technology now. The organizers of Strata + Hadoop World Conferences are bring you new conference on AI in NYC in June. Use code PCKDNG to save.
- Dataiku: The Complete Data Sheet - Apr 20, 2017.
Whether your every day tool is Scala, Python, R, or Excel, you can now use one tool - Dataiku - to transform raw data to predictions without the hassle. Discover the platform!
- The Value of Exploratory Data Analysis - Apr 20, 2017.
In this post, we will give a high level overview of what exploratory data analysis (EDA) typically entails and then describe three of the major ways EDA is critical to successfully model and interpret its results.
- How to Lie with Data - Apr 20, 2017.
We expect data scientists to be objective, but intentionally or not, they can produce results that mislead. We examine three common types of “lies” that Data Scientists should be aware of.
- Negative Results on Negative Images: Major Flaw in Deep Learning? - Apr 20, 2017.
This is an overview of recent research outlining the limitations of the capabilities of image recognition using deep neural networks. But should this really be considered a "limitation?"
- Data Science for the Layman (No Math Added) - Apr 20, 2017.
Written for the layman, this book is a practical yet gentle introduction to data science. Discover key concepts behind more than 10 classic algorithms, explained with real-world examples and intuitive visuals.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 12-18: 10 Free Must-Read Books for #MachineLearning and #DataScience - Apr 19, 2017.
Also Modern NLP in Python, or What you can learn about food by analyzing a million Yelp reviews; The Periodic Table of #DataScience; What is #Blockchain Technology?
- SUNY Buffalo: Postdoc in Data Mining and Bioinformatics - Apr 19, 2017.
Seeking a Postdoctoral Associate in the areas of machine learning and bioinformatics. The major research focus is on developing machine learning and mathematics methodologies for analyzing massive genomic data.
- Putting Alexa to Work: Moving Conversational UI from Hype to Reality - Apr 19, 2017.
The rise of conversational UI signals exciting progress for the BI world but there are pitfalls to be avoided. This blog presents 3 considerations for guiding your conversational UI implementation to ensure success and maximize the value of your data analytics.
- How Big Data Helps Today’s Airlines Operate - Apr 19, 2017.
Companies all over the world have placed a lot of value on getting more insights from big data analytics. That’s not without good reason.
- KDnuggets™ News 17:n15, Apr 19: Forrester vs Gartner on Data Science/Analytics Platforms; 5 Machine Learning Projects You Can No Longer Overlook - Apr 19, 2017.
Also Top mistakes data scientists make when dealing with business people; New Online Data Science Tracks for 2017; Cartoon: Why AI needs help with taxes.
- E-learning courses on Advanced Analytics, Credit Risk Modeling, and Fraud Analytics - Apr 18, 2017.
These online courses, developed by Prof. Bart Baesens and SAS, include videos, case studies, quizzes, and focus on focusses on the concepts and modeling methodologies and not on specific software.
- The dynamics between AI and IoT - Apr 18, 2017.
We see the need for a new type of Engineer who will combine knowledge from Electronics & IoT with Machine learning, AI, Robotics, Cloud and Data management (devops).
- Time Series Analysis with Generalized Additive Models - Apr 18, 2017.
In this tutorial, we will see an example of how a Generative Additive Model (GAM) is used, learn how functions in a GAM are identified through backfitting, and learn how to validate a time series model.
- Join Deep Learning leaders in Boston, May 25-26 – KDnuggets Offer - Apr 18, 2017.
We're gathering 400+ leading experts and healthcare professionals at the Deep Learning Summit, and Deep Learning in Healthcare Summit in Boston on May 25-26. KDnuggets subscribers get 20% off pass prices for all RE•WORK events with discount code KDNUGGETS.
- Must-Know: What is the curse of dimensionality? - Apr 18, 2017.
What is the curse of dimensionality? This post gives a no-nonsense overview of the concept, plain and simple.
- Open Source is Central to the Data Management Conversation, Boston, June 26-28 - Apr 18, 2017.
Open source dominates the data management conversation. Postgres Vision, June 26-28, Boston, explores the business value realized from innovative solutions and strategies. Use code KDPV17 to save.
- Predictive Maintenance: A Primer - Apr 17, 2017.
Companies can no longer afford to have product rollbacks or have wastage because of replacement parts. This is where the need for “Predictive Maintenance” comes into play.
- Sift Science: Sr. Software Engineer, Machine Learning - Apr 17, 2017.
Seeking an experienced engineer who has built scalable machine learning data pipelines & systems, and feels equally comfortable running small experiments on their laptop using R as they do running Spark or Map Reduce jobs on remote clusters.
- Level-up your analytics with text mining, Apr 27 Webinar - Apr 17, 2017.
MeaningCloud, leader in SaaS semantic analytics, has new RapidMiner extension that offers very powerful and flexible text analytics and the ability to extract the meaning of any unstructured text. Learn more in April 27 webinar.
- New Online Data Science Tracks for 2017 - Apr 17, 2017.
In 2017 there are many new and revamped data science tracks that are much more comprehensive for beginners than ever before. The tracks are designed to give you the skills you need to grab a job in data science, and some even have a job guarantee.
- More Deep Learning “Magic”: Paintings to photos, horses to zebras, and more amazing image-to-image translation - Apr 17, 2017.
This is an introduction to recent research which presents an approach for learning to translate an image from a source domain X to a target domain Y in the absence of paired examples.
- Top Stories, Apr 10-16: 10 Free Machine Learning & Data Science Books; 5 Machine Learning Projects You Can’t Overlook - Apr 17, 2017.
10 Free Must-Read Books for Machine Learning and Data Science; 5 Machine Learning Projects You Can No Longer Overlook, April; Forrester vs Gartner on Data Science Platforms and Machine Learning Solutions; Top mistakes data scientists make when dealing with business people
- Cartoon: Taxes, Artificial Intelligence, and Humans - Apr 15, 2017.
In honor of Tax Day, new KDnuggets Cartoon looks at an unexpected white-collar job that may resist automation and Machine Learning.
- DataScience Launches Interactive Tool For Exploring Data Science Trends - Apr 14, 2017.
DataScience Trends, a new interactive tool from DataScience Inc., gives users the ability to explore and visualize data across 2.8 million open source repositories without writing code.
- What Makes a Good Analyst? - Apr 14, 2017.
Without doubt, critical thinking is necessary in order to be a good analyst but particular skills and experience are also required. What are some of these skills?
- Is Blockchain the Ultimate Enabler of Data Monetization? - Apr 14, 2017.
Is blockchain the ultimate enabler of data and analytics monetization; creating marketplaces where companies, individuals and even smart entities (cars, trucks, building, airports, malls) can share/sell/trade/barter their data and analytic insights directly with others?
- Forrester vs Gartner on Data Science Platforms and Machine Learning Solutions - Apr 14, 2017.
Who leads in Data Science, Machine Learning, and Predictive Analytics? We compare the latest Forrester and Gartner reports for this industry for 2017 Q1, identify gainers and losers, and strong leaders vs contenders.
- ACM SIGKDD Calls for Nominations for Top Awards in Data Science, Data Mining Awards - Apr 14, 2017.
ACM SIGKDD, the premier global professional organization for data science and data mining, is calling for nominations for top awards in the field: Doctoral Dissertation Award, Test-of-time Award, Innovation Award (the "Nobel" prize of Data Science), and Service Award.
- WordStat for Stata Now on Macs - Apr 14, 2017.
WordStat is a flexible and easy-to-use text analysis software – whether you need text mining tools for fast extraction of themes and trends, or careful and precise measurement with state-of-the-art quantitative content analysis tools. Now works on Macs.
- The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory: Data Scientist - Apr 14, 2017.
Seeking a Data Scientist to develop inventive, cutting-edge prototype solutions for challenges in machine learning and artificial intelligence.
- Big Data Bootcamp, Irving (Dallas area), May 5-7 - Apr 13, 2017.
This is a fast paced, vendor agnostic, technical overview of the Big Data landscape targeted towards both technical and non-technical people who want to understand the emerging world of Big Data. Use code KDNUGGETS to save.
- Discover Financial Services: Manager, Decision Analytics - Apr 13, 2017.
Seeking an analytics professional with work experience in Banking, Financial or Insurance area in developing and evaluating business rules and strategies using advanced statistical techniques.
- Thinkful, Inc.: Data Science Bootcamp Mentor - Apr 13, 2017.
Seeking a Data Science Bootcamp Mentor to mentor aspiring Data Scientists enrolled in Thinkful's Data Science Flexible Bootcamp!
- Top mistakes data scientists make when dealing with business people - Apr 13, 2017.
There are no cover articles praising the fails of the many data scientists that don’t live up to the hype. Here we examine 3 typical mistakes and how to avoid them.
- Medical Image Analysis with Deep Learning , Part 2 - Apr 13, 2017.
In this article we will talk about basics of deep learning from the lens of Convolutional Neural Nets. We plan to use this knowledge to build CNNs in the next post and use Keras to develop a model to predict lung cancer.
- Streaming vs Batch Analytics, Model Creation and Deployment – April 19 Webinar - Apr 13, 2017.
Catch this live webinar from Open Data, which will explain both streaming and batch analytic types, typical use cases for each, as well as the best way to deploy these analytics in production. It happens April 19th, 2017 at 10am PST (1pm EST).
- 5 Machine Learning Projects You Can No Longer Overlook, April - Apr 13, 2017.
It's about that time again... 5 more machine learning or machine learning-related projects you may not yet have heard of, but may want to consider checking out. Find tools for data exploration, topic modeling, high-level APIs, and feature selection herein.
- Speaker Introduction for the Deep Learning Summit & Deep Learning in Healthcare Summit in Boston, 25-26 May (KDnuggets Offer) - Apr 13, 2017.
Explore the latest advancements in deep learning and their applications in industry and healthcare at the Deep Learning Summit and Deep Learning in Healthcare Summit in Boston, 25-26 May. Use discount code KDNUGGETS to save 20% off all tickets.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Apr 05-11: 10 Free Must-Read Books for Machine Learning, Data Science; Making beautiful data visualizations in Python, matplotlib - Apr 12, 2017.
10 Free Must-Read Books for Machine Learning and Data Science; How to make beautiful data visualizations in Python with matplotlib; #DeepLearning in 7 lines of code; Data Science of Variable Selection: A Review.
- High Frequency, new journal on high-frequency data – submit your research - Apr 12, 2017.
Submit your research to HF, the first and only interdisciplinary journal on high-frequency data questions, including HF data assimilation, analysis, and/or methods for decision-making.
- World Food Programme: Data Scientist - Apr 12, 2017.
Seeking a Data Scientist to provide methodological advice and supervision on assessments using mobile methodologies, reporting to the VAM’s Lead Data Scientist.
- Machine Learning Finds “Fake News” with 88% Accuracy - Apr 12, 2017.
In this post, the author assembles a dataset of fake and real news and employs a Naive Bayes classifier in order to create a model to classify an article as fake or real based on its words and phrases.
- KDnuggets™ News 17:n14, Apr 12: Free Machine Learning & Data Science Books; Top Machine Learning & Deep Learning Papers - Apr 12, 2017.
10 Free Must-Read Books for Machine Learning and Data Science; Top 20 Recent Research Papers on Machine Learning and Deep Learning; New Poll: What data types you analyzed?; The 42 V's of Big Data and Data Science; A Brief History of Artificial Intelligence
- DataRobot Webinar, May 2: How Automated Machine Learning is Transforming the Predictive Analytics Landscape - Apr 11, 2017.
Learn how DataRobot automates predictive modeling, and how our platform can deliver these same types of insights and a substantial productivity boost to your machine learning endeavors.
- Apple: Data Mining Scientist - Apr 11, 2017.
Seeking an outstanding data scientist who is interested in designing, developing, and fielding data mining solutions that have direct and measurable impact to Apple.
- Webinar: R with RStudio, Spark, sparklyr in Minutes, April 26 - Apr 11, 2017.
Find out how to expand R capabilities with RStudio + sparklyr on Apache Spark on a fast cloud platform and how simple to get started in the cloud with Cazena Data Science Sandbox as a Service.
- Anonymization and the Future of Data Science - Apr 11, 2017.
This post walks the reader through a real-world example of a "linkage" attack to demonstrate the limits of data anonymization. New privacy regulation, most notably the GDPR, are making it increasingly difficult to maintain a balance between privacy and utility.
- The Evolution of a Productive Data Team - Apr 11, 2017.
Successful data teams at companies of any size are able to produce results because they develop gradually through a series of stages and acquire skills along the way that help them stay efficient and effective.
- Must-Know: How to evaluate a binary classifier - Apr 11, 2017.
Binary classification is a basic concept which involves classifying the data into two groups. Read on for some additional insight and approaches.
- New Poll: What data types you analyzed? - Apr 11, 2017.
New KDnuggets Poll is asking: What data types you analyzed in the past 12 months? Please vote.
- The Librarian, the Scientist, the Alchemist and the Engineer: Anatomy of a DataOps Expert - Apr 10, 2017.
We know various job profiles in data science – data engineer, data scientist, data analyst etc. Here we explain how these roles fits in a real world data science team and what they do.
- Train AI 2017 is about what takes 90% of Data Scientist work, May 17, San Francisco, KDnuggets Offer - Apr 10, 2017.
Train AI comes to San Francisco on May 17, 2017, and focuses on everything except the algorithm - the training data and feature selection and deployment issues that end up being 90% of the work. KDnuggets readers get 30% off registration with code KDAI30.
- 10 Free Must-Read Books for Machine Learning and Data Science - Apr 10, 2017.
Spring. Rejuvenation. Rebirth. Everything’s blooming. And, of course, people want free ebooks. With that in mind, here's a list of 10 free machine learning and data science titles to get your spring reading started right.
- Help Define the Future of Open Source Data Management, Boston, June 26-28 - Apr 10, 2017.
Postgres Vision, June 26-28, Boston, will be a forum for the sharpest minds in open source as organizations strive to harvest greater strategic value and actionable insight from their data. Use code KDPV17 to save.
- Don’t miss Eric Siegel’s Keynote at PAW for Workforce, San Francisco, May 14 - Apr 10, 2017.
Predictive Analytics World Workforce (May 14-18, San Francisco) is pleased to announce the Weird Science Keynote by Eric Siegel, "How to Know Your Predictive Discovery Is Not BS."
- Top Stories, Apr 3-9: Top 20 Machine Learning & Deep Learning Research Papers; Brief History of Artificial Intelligence - Apr 10, 2017.
Top 20 Recent Research Papers on Machine Learning and Deep Learning; A Brief History of Artificial Intelligence; Medical Image Analysis with Deep Learning; Introduction to Anomaly Detection; The 42 V’s of Big Data and Data Science
- Rocket Software: Data Scientist II - Apr 7, 2017.
Seeking a Data Scientist II to be responsible for implementing a new, innovative and highly collaborative cross-functional analytics program, by leveraging, extending and introducing new organizational capabilities and technology assets.
- Rocket Software: Principal Machine Learning Engineer - Apr 7, 2017.
Seeking a passionate Machine Learning Engineer to help us build and launch a cognitive solution, and provide leadership to the advanced analytics team responsible for building the intelligence for an enterprise scale real-time cognitive feedback engine.
- The 42 V’s of Big Data and Data Science - Apr 7, 2017.
It's 2017 now, and we now operate in an ever more sophisticated world of analytics. To keep up with the times, we present our updated 2017 list: The 42 V's of Big Data and Data Science.
- A Brief History of Artificial Intelligence - Apr 7, 2017.
This post is a brief outline of what happened in artificial intelligence in the last 60 years. A great place to start or brush up on your history.
- Chief Data Officer, Financial Services, San Francisco, April 26 – KDnuggets Offer - Apr 7, 2017.
Chief Data Officer, Financial Services, West is coming to San Francisco on April 26th. Corinium Global Intelligence and KDnuggets would like to offer you an exclusive 30% discount to join us. Save over $500 using discount code KD30 during registration.
- ODSC East 2017: Accelerate your Deep Learning & Machine Learning Knowledge and Career Opportunities, Boston, May 3-5 - Apr 7, 2017.
With change comes opportunity! The pace of data science innovation continues to quicken. New tools and techniques are constantly emerging especially around deep learning and machine learning. In 2017 many more companies are embarking on data science projects.