- Unpopular Opinion – Data Scientists Should Be More End-to-End - Sep 17, 2020.
Can a do-it-all Data Scientist really be more effective at delivering new value from data? While it might sound exhausting, important efficiencies can exist that might bring better value to the business even faster.
- How To Decide What Data Skills To Learn - Sep 4, 2020.
Read this article to learn about getting the most valuable skills on the job market.
- The Most Important Data Science Project - Sep 4, 2020.
What is the project every data scientist must do?
- Here is What I’ve Learned in 2 Years as a Data Scientist - Sep 2, 2020.
In this article, for the first time, I’ll consolidate everything that I’ve learned and condense all of these into 5 lessons that I’ve learned in 2 years as a data scientist.
- How to Optimize Your CV for a Data Scientist Career - Aug 26, 2020.
As the number of data science positions continues to grow dramatically, so does the number of data scientists in the marketplace. Follow these expert tips and examples to help make your resume and job applications stand out in an increasingly competitive field.
- KDnuggets™ News 20:n33, Aug 26: If I had to start learning Data Science again, how would I do it? Must-read NLP and Deep Learning articles for Data Scientists - Aug 26, 2020.
If I had to start learning Data Science again, how would I do it? Must-read NLP and Deep Learning articles for Data Scientists; These Data Science Skills will be your Superpower; Accelerated Natural Language Processing: A Free Amazon Machine Learning University Course.
- The Uncommon Data Science Job Guide - Aug 7, 2020.
With the job landscape in Data Science becoming hyper-competitive, there are clear strategies you can consider to find your way to snagging a position in the field.
- KDnuggets™ News 20:n30, Aug 5: What Employers are Expecting of Data Scientist Role; I have a joke about… - Aug 5, 2020.
Know What Employers are Expecting for a Data Scientist Role in 2020; I have a joke about …; First Steps of a Data Science Project; Why You Should Get Google's New Machine Learning Certificate; Awesome Machine Learning and AI Courses
- Know What Employers are Expecting for a Data Scientist Role in 2020 - Aug 3, 2020.
The analysis is done from 1000+ recent Data scientist jobs, extracted from job portals using web scraping.
- Exploring the Real World of Data Science - Jun 26, 2020.
An article highlighting things I’ve learned in the real world about data science.
- If you had to start statistics all over again, where would you start? - Jun 5, 2020.
If you are just diving into learning statistics, then where do you begin? Find insight from those who have tread in these waters before, and see what they might have done differently along their personal journeys in statistics.
- Skills to Build for Data Engineering - Jun 4, 2020.
This article jumps into the latest skill set observations in the Data Engineering Job Market which could definitely add a boost to your existing career or assist you in starting off your Data Engineering journey.
- Six Ways For Data Scientists to Succeed at a Startup - May 29, 2020.
Here are six tips that will help data scientists and other data professionals succeed if they have the opportunity to work at a startup.
- How to Think Like a Data Scientist - May 29, 2020.
So what does it take to become a data scientist? For some pointers on the skills for success, I interviewed Ben Chu, who is a Senior Data Scientist at Refinitiv Labs.
- Find Your Perfect Fit: A Quick Guide for Job Roles in the Data World - Apr 23, 2020.
Data related positions are considered the hottest in the job market during the last couple of years. While everyone wants to join the party and enter this fascinating field, it is essential to first get an understanding. In this quick guide, I’ll do my best to dispel the confusion by crystalizing the essence of the different positions.
- 4 Realistic Career Options for Data Scientists - Apr 21, 2020.
It’s almost 10 years since "Data Science" became mainstream. We ask less about how to get into Data Science, but wonder "what’s next?" This article includes insights on four non-trivial, but practical, options and their pitfalls.
- Advice for a Successful Data Science Career - Mar 30, 2020.
This blog is meant to show that most everyone has had to expend quite a bit of effort to get where they are. They have to work hard, sometimes experience failure, show discipline, be persistent, be dedicated to their goals, and sometimes sacrifice or take risks.
- KDnuggets™ News 20:n12, Mar 25: 24 Best (and Free) Books To Understand Machine Learning; Coronavirus Daily Change and Poll Analysis; 9 lessons learned during 1st year as a Data Scientist - Mar 25, 2020.
Read our analysis of coronavirus data and poll results; Use your time indoors to learn with 24 best and free books to understand Machine Learning; Study the 9 important lessons from the first year as a Data Scientist; Understand the SVM, a top ML algorithm; check a comprehensive list of AI resources for online learning; and more.
- Data Scientist Archetypes - Jan 28, 2020.
My goal here is to give you a map for navigating the sprawling terrain of data science. It’s to help you prioritize what you want to learn and what you want to do, so you don’t feel lost.
- You’re Fired: How to develop and manage a happy data science team - Jan 27, 2020.
I want to share a solution called Insight-Driven Development (IDD), a few examples of it, and five steps to adopting it. IDD aims to create a high performing, engaged, and happy Data Science teams that embrace non-ML work as much as the fun ML stuff.
- 2 Questions for a Junior Data Scientist - Jan 24, 2020.
Academic credentials and experience with previous machine learning projects are important for kicking off a data science career. However, landing your first job out of school will require you to extend your thinking about projects and problems. Learn how one interviewer honed in on desired skills by considering these two questions.
- The Data Science Interview Study Guide - Jan 22, 2020.
Preparing for a job interview can be a full-time job, and Data Science interviews are no different. Here are 121 resources that can help you study and quiz your way to landing your dream data science job.
- 7 Steps to a Job-winning Data Science Resume - Jan 10, 2020.
A resume plays a key role in bagging that dream data science job. We break down the nuances of a job-winning data science resume so that you can go ahead and transform your own resume.
- The Most In Demand Tech Skills for Data Scientists - Dec 20, 2019.
By the end of this article you’ll know which technologies are becoming more popular with employers and which are becoming less popular.
- The Complete Data Science LinkedIn Profile Guide - Nov 11, 2019.
With so many Data Scientists showing up on LinkedIn, it's time to make sure your profile is top-notch because your talent is still highly sought after. Recruitment specialists want to find you fast, and this guide will help you create the best profile to feature your expertise.
- How to Become a Successful Healthcare Data Analyst - Nov 5, 2019.
Are you interested in starting your career in the data analysis domain? Read this informative blog on how to get your career off the ground.
- Data Science is Boring (Part 2) - Oct 9, 2019.
Why I love boring ML problems and how I think about them.
- Why data analysts should choose stories over statistics - Sep 26, 2019.
Join the Crunch Data Conference in Budapest, Oct 16-18, with stellar speakers from companies like Facebook, Netflix and LinkedIn. Use the discount code ‘KDNuggets’ to save $100 off your conference ticket.
- Data Science is Boring (Part 1) - Sep 18, 2019.
Read about how one data scientist copes with his boring days of deploying machine learning.
- I wasn’t getting hired as a Data Scientist. So I sought data on who is. - Sep 6, 2019.
Instead of focusing on skills thought to be required of data scientists, we can look at what they have actually done before.
- How to Sell Your Boss on the Need for Data Analytics - Aug 26, 2019.
Here are some ways you can make the case to your boss that analytics investments are smart for your company to pursue.
- How Creating an AI Study Group Boosted My Skills and Got Me a Job - Aug 13, 2019.
The amount of time I had to put in to organize the AI Society left me sometimes sleep-deprived but it was definitely worth it. It was also one of the main factors why I got the job in Machine Learning after all. I hope that this article will inspire you to create your own AI study group!
- Getting Started With Data Science - Aug 5, 2019.
Over the past many months, I’ve received hundreds of messages from people asking me how they could get started with Data Science. Therefore, I thought it would be useful to write down a framework for those wanting to get started with Data Science.
- Top 13 Skills To Become a Rockstar Data Scientist - Jul 26, 2019.
Education, coding, SQL, big data platforms, storytelling and more. These are the 13 skills you need to master to become a rockstar data scientist.
- Secrets to a Successful Data Science Interview - Jul 15, 2019.
Are you puzzled as to what to prepare for data science interviews? That you are reading this document is a reflection of your seriousness in being a successful data scientist.
- What’s the Machine Learning Engineering Job Like - Jul 1, 2019.
As a relatively new position, the day in the life of a machine learning engineer or data scientist is still a bit fluid. Find out what is like from people working today at Airbnb, SurveyMonkey, and Instagram.
- A Step-by-Step Guide to Transitioning your Career to Data Science – Part 2 - Jun 7, 2019.
How do you identify the technical skills a hiring manager is looking for? How do you build a data science project that draws the attention of a hiring manager?
- A Step-by-Step Guide to Transitioning your Career to Data Science – Part 1 - May 31, 2019.
If you are looking to transition your career to data science, don't immediately start learning Python or R. Instead, leverage the domain expertise you have accumulated over the years. Here's a foolproof guide on how to do that.
- Why Data Professionals Should Negotiate Every Job Offer - May 16, 2019.
Here are six reasons why you shouldn't feel tempted to jump at the chance and take that job offer as it is without first negotiating.
- 5 Things to Review Before Accepting That Data Scientist Job Offer - May 10, 2019.
Before you get too excited and sign the papers for that new data scientist job, and solidify your role as a new hire, make sure you look over these 5 things first.
- Projects to Include in a Data Science Portfolio - Apr 26, 2019.
“Don’t pick just random projects to work on and add it to your resume or portfolio. Solve a problem that relates to the companies that you’re interested in.”
- Make Your Own Job in Data Science: A High-Risk, High-Reward Approach - Apr 12, 2019.
This article discusses an alternative approach to finding data science jobs that’s also worth considering, although it has some inherent risks: make your own.
- Why Data Scientists Need To Work In Groups - Apr 12, 2019.
If you read this article you will see that the job of data scientist is NOT listed. The rest of this article will explore why it is true that data scientists need to work in groups.
- Compilation of Advice for New and Aspiring Data Scientists - Apr 10, 2019.
Check out this compilation of advice for the new and upcoming data scientist, condensing 30+ pieces of advice into 6 minutes.
- KDnuggets™ News 19:n14, Apr 10: Which Data Science/ML methods and algorithms you used? Predict Age and Gender Using Neural Nets - Apr 10, 2019.
Getting started with NLP using the PyTorch framework; Building a Recommender System; Advice for New Data Scientists; All you need to know about text preprocessing for NLP and Machine Learning; Advanced Keras - Constructing Complex Custom Losses and Metrics; Top 8 Data Science Use Cases in Gaming
- How to Recognize a Good Data Scientist Job From a Bad One - Apr 9, 2019.
Here are six characteristics which set good data scientist jobs apart form the bad ones.
- Cracking the Data Scientist Interview - Jan 29, 2019.
After interviewing with over 50 companies for Data Scientist/Machine Learning Engineer, I am going to frame my experiences in the Q&A format and try to debunk any myths that beginners may have in their quest for becoming a Data Scientist.
- Think Twice Before You Accept That Fancy Data Science Job - Dec 19, 2018.
Before you figure out what skills you need to freshen up on, or the most optimal driving path to work to avoid traffic patterns, you need to make sure this new role is a right fit and that you'll be happy working there.
- KDnuggets™ News 18:n48, Dec 19: Why You Shouldn’t be a Data Science Generalist; Industry Data Science & Machine Learning 2019 Predictions - Dec 19, 2018.
Also: Top Stories of 2018; NLP Breakthrough Imagenet Moment has arrived; Four Approaches to Explaining AI and Machine Learning; Solve any Image Classification Problem Quickly and Easily
- Why You Shouldn’t be a Data Science Generalist - Dec 14, 2018.
But it’s hard to avoid becoming a generalist if you don’t know which common problem classes you could specialize in in the fist place. That’s why I put together a list of the five problem classes that are often lumped together under the “data science” heading.
- Data Science Projects Employers Want To See: How To Show A Business Impact - Dec 4, 2018.
The best way to create better data science projects that employers want to see is to provide a business impact. This article highlights the process using customer churn prediction in R as a case-study.