Date: 29 Jan 2007
Subject: San Jose, CA: Senior Manager, Forecasting & Analysis at eBay
The Pricing, Planning & Programs team is responsible for all strategy
and pricing decisions of the North American Auctions business. The
team sets Pricing for the eBay Marketplace, manages site-wide Features
and Promotions, manages Financial and Operating performance, and leads
Strategic Planning for the Auctions business.
We are currently looking for a
Senior Manager, Forecasting & Analysis
to join the team. This individual will utilize their exceptional
financial, operational and analytic skills to identify new insights
into business performance drivers, manage the forward- and
backward-looking point of view on marketplace health, and protect and
grow the revenue line through credits and contra-revenue spend.
In the process, this person will develop a deep understanding of the
Marketplaces businesses, while further strengthening their business,
financial and analytic skills. Additionally, this individual will have
broad exposure to a wide variety of functional and business teams
within eBay North America.
- Use quantitative analytics to deliver new insights into drivers of business performance
- Identify emerging trends in key inventory and user segments
- Drive recommendations to address threats and opportunities in strategic segments of the business
- Define, measure and explain metrics that drive operating efficiencies and align with organizational objectives
- Drive the budgeting, forecasting and planning processes for metrics, revenue and expenses
- Measure short-term and long-term performance against plan, and create regular business updates for senior leadership
- Identify performance anomalies and manage root cause analysis through analytic teams
- Continually improve reporting and systems to increase quality of forecasts and business understanding
- Manage and credits line item by understanding root cause and managing programs to reduce
- Manage the contra revenue budget and its effectiveness, collaborating with the Marketing organization
- Provide guidance around product and policy changes regarding risk to revenue
- Exceptional business, analytic and quantitative ability.
- Experience building annual and quarterly operating plans, monthly forecasts and performance reporting and analytical/metrics packages for senior management
- Expert Excel, Access and PowerPoint skills; experience with database query tools (e.g., SQL); and a basic understanding of data warehouse architecture are required. Proficiency with statistical or forecasting tools (e.g., JMP, SAS, SPSS) is a plus.
- 8+ years of experience, ideally at a leading management consulting firm, investment bank, or financial services company.
- Strong academic profile with an emphasis on quantitative coursework (e.g., degree in Economics/Econometrics, Engineering, Finance or Mathematics/Statistics). MBA is a plus.
- Intellectual curiosity, passion for problem-solving, and comfort with ambiguity.
- High energy and a desire to work in a results-oriented, fast growth environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate complex analyses to senior managers/executives
- Ability to thrive in a cross-functional environment while juggling multiple responsibilities.
- A passion for understanding and serving the unique community of eBay.
Jennifer Daniher, firstname.lastname@example.org