- Interview with RapidMiner's Ingo Mierswa, Ralf Klinkenberg - Feb 9, 2010.Ingo Mierswa and Ralf Klinkenberg are young co-founders of the open-source company Rapid-I, which is providing RapidMiner and other software software, solutions, and services in the fields of predictive analytics, data mining, and text mining.
- Interview with RapidMiner's Ingo Mierswa, Ralf Klinkenberg, part 2 - Feb 9, 2010.Ralf and Ingo talk about attraction to data mining; transition from students to business leaders; exciting future developments; recent books; and advice to young students
- Gates, Ozzie, Microsoft execs patent personal data mining - Feb 8, 2010.a patent for a "personal data mining" system that would analyze information and make recommendations with the goal of aiding a person's decisions and improving quality of life.
- Most viewed items for week Jan 31 - Feb 6 - Feb 7, 2010.10 Very Interesting People; New Poll: Salary; Analytics Manager, London, and San Diego
- Final phase of the Active Learning challenge (deadline March 3) - Feb 5, 2010.Six new final datasets are now available at: http://clopinet.com/al
- Yahoo!'s 2nd Annual Key Scientific Challenges Program - Feb 2, 2010.This is your chance to get an inside look at - and help tackle - the big challenges that Yahoo! and the entire Internet industry are facing today; you'll gain access to Yahoo!'s world-class scientists, some of the richest and largest data repositories in the world, and have the potential to make a huge impact on the future of the Internet
- Kaggle: a platform for data-related competitions - Feb 1, 2010.Kaggle provides a competition platform for data-related contests, allowing companies, researchers, government and other organizations to expose their data to a wide range of analysts and techniques.
- Most viewed items for week Jan 24-30 - Jan 31, 2010.most viewed news, jobs, positions
Courses (see also All Courses)
- Short course: Statistical Learning and Data Mining NEW - Palo Alto, Mar 18-19 - Feb 1, 2010.This two-day course gives a detailed overview of statistical models for data mining, inference and prediction
- Data Sciences, Analytics Summer Institute at UIUC, May 24 - July 2 - Jan 31, 2010.This 6-week long program will expose students to the mathematical foundations of Data Sciences, allow them to attend advanced tutorials and seminars on a diverse set of topics in this area given by leading experts in the field, and provide hands-on experience working on research projects
- SUMMER SCHOOL NN2010 - Jan 30, 2010.the school will explain relevant NN paradigms, including multilayer perceptrons (MLP), radial basis function networks (RBF) and support vector machines (SVM) used for classification and regression tasks, illustrated with applications to real data
Webcasts (see also All Webcasts)
- Free Webinar Feb 18, Mar 16: Data Mining: Failure to Launch - Feb 9, 2010.Learn How to Get Predictive Modeling Off the Ground and Into Orbit
Software (see also All Software)
- Magic Quadrant for Business Intelligence Platforms - Feb 6, 2010.The market in 2009 was defined by the David and Goliathian struggle that occurred between resilient BI pure-play vendors and ostensibly omnipotent megavendors
- Forrester recognizes SAS as a leader in predictive analytics, data mining - Feb 9, 2010.other leaders include IBM-SPSS, Oracle, KXEN, and Portrait Software
- Information Builders Releases WebFOCUS RStat for Data Mining and Standard Statistical Analysis - Feb 4, 2010.New Predictive Analytics Tool Is First to Offer Scoring Routines for Survival Models
Jobs (see also All Jobs)
- Senior Software Engineer at advertising startup, New York, NY - Feb 9, 2010.machine learning & distributed computing experience, Java, OO, linux
- Analytics Manager - Asset Valuation at Opera Solutions, San Diego, CA or Jersey City, NJ - Feb 4, 2010.design, develop, and deploy state-of-the-art, data-driven predictive models using the latest and most advanced technologies in machine learning, statistical modeling and operation research, and deliver value through new product development, consulting engagement
- Scientific Programmer at Dept. Electrical Engineering, U. Washington, Seattle, WA - Feb 3, 2010.outstanding opportunity to work on a software system for dynamic graphical models; support a large existing graphical model toolkit, and extend it in many ways
- Statistician/data mining analyst at LeapFrogRx, Waltham, MA - Feb 3, 2010.We are looking for a statistician/data mining analyst to join LeapFrogRx's small group of statisticians and data miners creating innovative strategies to analyze pharmaceutical sales and marketing data
- Analytics Manager at Opera Solutions, London, UK and San Diego, CA - Feb 1, 2010.Opera Solutions is a new generation consulting firm that melds the best of human intelligence and powerful, technology-driven tools into a unique approach that delivers rapid and significant profit improvement to our clients.
- Quantitative Researcher/Data Miner at iProspect, Mumbai, India - Jan 31, 2010.researching, analyzing, and reporting on data generated through iProspect's SEO and SEM services offerings, and client provided data
- Quantitative Researcher/Data Miner at iProspect, Chicago, IL - Jan 31, 2010.responsible for researching, analyzing, and reporting on data generated through iProspect's SEO and SEM services offerings, and client provided data.
- Junior Researcher/Mathematical modeller, Machine learning, Fraud analyst at Alaric Systems Ltd., London, United Kingdom - Jan 30, 2010.Alaric is looking for a researcher with software development skills to work on our fraud detection product, Fractals.
- Environmental Information Technology Research Associate at Houston Advanced Research Center (HARC), Woodlands, TX - Feb 5, 2010.Houston Advanced Research Center (HARC) is looking for a research associate in applied information technology, with a strong background in environmental science or a related discipline (e.g., applied mathematics, physics)
- Bioinformatics post-doc position at University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS - Feb 9, 2010.develop novel protein sequence/structure mining methodologies in areas such as protein stability related researches.
- Postdoc and Sr. Researcher at Helsinki Institute for Information Technology (HIIT) and Aalto Univ., Helsinki, Finland - Feb 7, 2010.in several areas of computing research including: machine learning and data analysis; computational methods for networks, interaction and economics; Aalto University is a newly created research university
- Post-Doctoral Position at Vienna U. of Technology and Medical U. of Vienna, Vienna, Austria - Jan 30, 2010.The position is associated to the project "Fuzzy Logics: from Mathematics to Medical Application" funded by the Vienna Science and Technology Fund WWTF.
Meetings (see also All Meetings)
- Predictive Analytics World, Feb 16-17, San Francisco - Feb 9, 2010.Attend Predictive Analytics San Francisco, Feb 16-17! Agenda covers hot topics and advanced methods such as social data, uplift modeling (net lift), text mining, massively parallel analytics, in-cloud deployment, and innovative applications that benefit organizations in new and creative ways.
- MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference, Boston, March 6, 2010 - Feb 6, 2010.The MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference, sponsored by ESPN, will feature speakers from NFL, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL and NBA owners, coaches, industry leaders, and the journalists
- WSDM-2010 highlights - Feb 6, 2010.Daniel Tunkelang blogs from WSDM-2010 Conference
- Feb 18: Bentley U. Virtual analytics symposium - Feb 5, 2010.speaker: Doug Newell, Calexus Solutions, Feb 18, 12 noon - 2 pm ET
- New Book: Scientific Data Management: 20% off for KDnuggets readers - Jan 30, 2010.Arie Shoshani and Doron Rotem present cutting-edge technologies and solutions for dealing with the volume, complexity, and diversity of data generated by scientific experiments and simulations.
- Best Connected Individuals Are Not the Most Influential Spreaders in Social Networks - Feb 6, 2010.In contrast to common belief, the most influential spreaders in a social network do not correspond to the best connected people or to the most central people
- Free Book Offer from Web Analytics Demystified - Feb 1, 2010.Web Analytics Demystified is offering Mr. Peterson's first and third books on web analytics (free download in Adobe PDF format) in exchange for your email address
- BI in the Cloud? Yes, and on the Ground, Too - Jan 30, 2010.Slowly but surely, with lots of criticism and skepticism, the business intelligence (BI) software-as-a-service (SaaS) market is gaining ground
- Book Review - Analytics at Work - Jan 30, 2010.a follow-on to Competing on Analytics and is a shorter, pithier book, by Tom Davenport and others
- Knowing What's Next: Use Cases for Predictive Analytics - Feb 9, 2010.with Eric Siegel, James Kobielus, Tony Rathburn, Joydeep Das, and Eric Brethenoux
- Google's Focused Research Awards - Feb 6, 2010.cover machine learning, the use of mobile phones for data collection, energy efficiency in computing, and privacy.
- Angoss Reports Fourth Quarter and Fiscal 2009 Results - Feb 5, 2010.Demand for Hosted Predictive Analytics Solutions Drives Growth in Revenue and Operating Income; 2009 revenue up 14% from 2008
- US Patent on data mining and semiconductor fabrication - Feb 4, 2010.US Patent: System and method for rule-based data mining and problem detection for semiconductor fabrication
- Thomson Reuters Acquires ProfSoft, Inc. - Jan 30, 2010.Thomson Reuters has acquired ProfSoft, a healthcare technology company that provides health plans with analytic software and services to assess physician and hospital performance
- Pervasive Software Quarterly Results, as of Dec 31, 2009 - Jan 30, 2010.Company Reports 36th Consecutive Profitable Quarter, Initial Pervasive DataRush License Revenue Recognized
- LivePerson Buys Web Analytics Firm NuConomy for $3 Million - Jan 27, 2010.NuConomy's compelling analytics offerings that aim to help publishers, advertisers and users better understand and engage with the social web.
CFP - Calls for Papers (see also All CFP)
- ICML-2010 Tutorials, due Feb 13
- ASONAM 2010: Advances in Social Network Analysis and Data Mining, due Feb 28
- ECML/PKDD 2010 Tutorials/Workshops, due Mar 8
- PAKDD-2010 Workshop on Feature Selection in DM, due Mar 19
- GECCO-2010 Workshop: Learning Classifier Systems, due Mar 25
- Text-Based Information Retrieval, due Mar 30
- Intelligent Data Engineering and Automated Learning, due Apr 19
QuoteThe more original a discovery, the more obvious it seems afterwards.