Here is Xindong Wu keynote address at IEEE ICDM: 10th Int. Conf. on Data Mining, Sydney, Australia.
Prof. Xindong Wu is the founder of ICDM and Chair of ICDM Steering Committee.
He notes that ICDM '10 had the highest number of paper submissions and the largest number of participants in the 10-year ICDM history, and every participant has commented that this was the best ICDM conference (or even the best Data Mining conference!) they have attended.
Prof. Xindong Wu keynote,
"10 Years of Data Mining Research: Retrospect and Prospect" (PDF), reviewed past activities, discussed current achievements, and presented research challenges for the future.
Here is a list he presented of
10 Challenging Problems in Data Mining Research.
1. Developing a Unifying Theory of Data Mining
2. Scaling Up for High Dimensional Data/High Speed Streams
3. Mining Sequence Data and Time Series Data
4. Mining Complex Knowledge from Complex Data
5. Data Mining in a Graph Structured Data
6. Distributed Data Mining and Mining Multi-agent Data
7. Data Mining for Biological and Environmental Problems
8. Data-Mining-Process Related Problems
9. Security, Privacy and Data Integrity
10. Dealing with Non-static, Unbalanced and Cost-sensitive Data