- New Poll: Meetings you attended in 2009 - Jan 12, 2010.New KDnuggets Poll: Which data mining related meetings you attended in 2009? Please vote on www.kdnuggets.com
- KDD-2010 CFP: Abstracts due Feb 2 - Jan 12, 2010.ACM Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD-2010): Call for Papers and Workshop Proposals
- Predictive Analytics World, Feb 16-17, San Francisco - Jan 12, 2010.Early Bird Offer for Predictive Analytics World Ends this Friday, Jan 15! February's agenda covers hot topics and advanced methods such as social data, uplift modeling (net lift), text mining, massively parallel analytics, in-cloud deployment, and innovative applications that benefit organizations in new and creative ways.
- Most viewed items for week Jan 3-9 - Jan 10, 2010.Open Source Data Mining in R ... Data Mining Analyst at Waterfront International, Toronto, Canada ...
- Most viewed items for week Dec 27 - Jan 2 - Jan 3, 2010.most viewed news, jobs, positions
Software (see also All Software)
- Case Study: Honeywell boosts efficiency, quality with optimization - Jan 12, 2010.When your business problem involves hundreds or even millions of variables, speed and power of computation are critical. The right optimization approach can have a downstream impact of millions of dollars. To achieve this kind of impact for its manufacturing clients, Honeywell Process Solutions used the FICO™ Xpress Optimization Suite
- Article on Open Source Data Mining in R - Jan 7, 2010.The Rattle package provides a graphical user interface specifically for data mining using R. It also provides a stepping stone toward using R as a programming language for data analysis
- WordStat 6 - text mining and content analysis - beta testing - Jan 5, 2010.Provalis Research is pleased to announce the beta testing of WordStat 6, our text mining and content analysis add-on for QDA Miner (our qualitative analysis software) and Simstat (our statistical software)
Jobs (see also All Jobs)
- Senior Researcher / Applied Scientist (Text Mining/NLP) at Visible Technologies, Bellevue, WA - Jan 6, 2010.seeking statistical & machine learning researchers with a passion for applying their craft to massive web 2.0 datasets and who will help us advance the state of the art in social networking analytics.
- Data Mining / Analytics Business Analyst at a financial services company, New York, NY - Jan 6, 2010.Top financial firm is seeking a Senior Business Analyst with data mining and predictive analytics experience to be part of a team focused on developing a Business Intelligence (BI) and Enterprise Performance Management (EPM) platform.
- Senior Software Engineer - Search Analytics at A9.com, Inc, Palo Alto, CA, USA - Jan 6, 2010.
- Network Biologist at Pfizer, Sandwich, Kent. UK - Jan 5, 2010.We have an exciting opportunity for a Network Biologist to build on our industry leading applied eBiology approaches to deliver new methods of describing disease biology and target hypothesis generation through network biology and computational machine learning techniques
- Data Mining Analyst at Waterfront International, Toronto, Canada - Jan 2, 2010.Waterfront International is a Toronto-based financial consulting firm, specializing in developing computer based statistical trading strategies.
- Sixteen 3-year positions (starting July 1st, 2010) as Early Stage Researcher at Marie Curie Initial Training Network, EU - Jan 12, 2010.available to work in the EU project "Medical Imaging using Bio-inspired and Soft Computing" (MIBISOC), a Marie Curie Initial Training Network
- Facebook Fellowship for graduate students at Facebook, Palo Alto, CA - Jan 12, 2010.creation of a Facebook Fellowship program to support graduate students in the 2010-2011 school year, with focus on Internet Economics, Social Computing, Data Mining and Machine Learning, Information Retrieval, and more.
- PhD positions at Univ. of Lancaster, Nottingham, Cardiff, or Southampton, UK - Jan 5, 2010.A considerable number of funded PhD positions in Operational Research will be available from 2010-2013 in four U.K. universities: LAncaster, Nottingham, Cardiff and Southampton (LANCS).
- Senior researcher/Team, 4 Ph.D. scholarships at Institute for Web Science & Technologies, Koblenz, Germany - Jan 2, 2010.Web Science is a novel discipline at the intersection of several sciences targeting a better under-standing of the Web and its users
Meetings (see also All Meetings)
- Call for Participation: EGC2010, January 26-29, 2010, Hammamet, Tunisia - Jan 12, 2010.10th French-speaking Conference on Knowledge Extraction and Management, Extraction et Gestion des Connaissances
- Evaluation Campaign on Plagiarism Detection and Wikipedia Vandalism Detection - Jan 12, 2010.Following the success of the 2009 campaign and based on our experience we will provide a revised evaluation corpus consisting of artificial and simulated plagiarism.
- Chicago, Mar 26 Workshop: Knowledge Discovery with Support Vector Machines - Jan 6, 2010.The Chicago Chapter of the American Statistical Association is hosting a one-day workshop on SVM
- Six Ways to Lower Costs with Predictive Analytics - Jan 11, 2010.This article presents six ways predictive analytics lowers costs without decreasing business, thus transforming your enterprise into a Lean, Mean Analytical Machine. Example brand-name case study results are provided along the way.
- Next Gen Market Research Study - Jan 6, 2010.Next Gen Market Research (NGMR) Survey Reveals Client-to-Supplier Disparities in Web 2.0 Analytics, Online Panel Selection and Other Critical Research Industry Topics
- DHS Data Mining Report to Congress - Jan 6, 2010.the DHS Privacy Office identified three DHS programs that engage in activities that meet the Data Mining Reporting Act's definition
- Analytics at Work: Q&A with Tom Davenport - Jan 6, 2010.In a preview of his follow-up to "Competing on Analytics," co-author and business guru Tom Davenport explores what it takes to move to analytic decision-making.
- Eleven BI/Analytics Topics for 2010 - Jan 1, 2010.Instead of summing past year's developments or predictions for 2010, Seth Grimes posts on the year ahead - BI and analytics topics he plans to cover
- Content Recommender Aggregate Knowledge Raises $9 Million Third Round - Jan 10, 2010.Aggregate Knowledge, the leading provider of real-time personalization and audience-centric display optimization solutions, today announced it has closed a Series C financing round of $9 million
- Thomson Reuters Buys Analytics Firm Discovery Logic - Jan 6, 2010.Thomson Reuters has acquired scientific analytics software provider Discovery Logic as the company looks to expand its content and services.
- Web Analytics Firm Quantcast Raises $27.5 Million - Jan 5, 2010.Quantcast, a service that lets anyone check stats and audience information about websites, announced this morning that it has raised $27.5 million in fresh funding from Cisco Systems and others.
- A Data Explosion Remakes Retailing - Jan 5, 2010.Most people think of the grand challenges in computing as big science projects, like simulating nuclear explosions or protein folding. But with the holiday shopping season just ended, consider another: retail marketing.
- The datamining journey so far .. - Jan 2, 2010.from dataminingtools.net blog, a survey of major developments in the Data Mining industry over the years.
- Online Poker -- The Data Mining Dilemma - Dec 29, 2009.A Closer Look at the Rules About Data Mining
CFP - Calls for Papers (see also All CFP)
- HAISī10, due Jan 20
- ICML-10, due Feb 1
- ADMI-10, due Feb 2
- KDD-2010, due Feb 2
- IADIS Data Mining 2010, due Feb 19
- APRESW 2010, due Mar 7
- White box non-linear prediction models, due May 31
QuoteScience is built up with facts, as a house is with stones.
But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house.
H. Poincare, 1901 (from Gianotti and Pedreschi)