- Google Prediction API - May 20, 2010.The Prediction API enables access to Google's machine learning algorithms to analyze your historic data and predict likely future outcomes
- TunedIT to organize IEEE ICDM '10 Contest (GPS navigation) - May 25, 2010.Contest will organized on the TunedIT platform, and the task will be to predict road traffic congestion and model the process of traffic jams formation in the city of Warsaw, Poland.
- New book: PMML in Action - May 24, 2010.This book is a great way to learn how to represent your predictive models and data transformations with PMML, a mature open standard for predictive analytics modeling.
- Rexer Analytics Annual Data Mining Survey: Last Call - May 25, 2010.Last call: Have you completed the Annual Data Miner Survey yet? If you haven't, please visit this link to participate
- Most viewed items for week May 16-22 - May 23, 2010.Top News: Poll Results: Free, Open Source Tools Grow in Popularity; New Poll: Largest Data Analyzed?
Top Jobs: Machine Learning Expert at SAP, Palo Alto; Data Mining Research Scientist at Technicolor, Princeton
- The Global Analytics Consortium Offers Business Analytics Certificates - May 20, 2010.To receive the certification, you need knowledge, skills and experience in 4 areas: A) Theory and Methods of Business Analytics, B) Quantitative Methods and Predictive Modeling, C) Statistical Computing ... D) Analytics Application and Cases.
Courses (see also All Courses)
- SAS July 2-for-1 Training Offer - May 26, 2010.Attend a SAS(r) data mining course this July and bring a colleague for free! Take advantage of our July 2 for 1 discount
- Clarabridge Training Curriculum for Enterprise Text Analytics - May 26, 2010.Enterprise deployments and the increased adoption of Clarabridge Self Service require subject matter that incorporates both best practices around customer experience as well as the specifics of employing text analytics.
Software (see also All Software)
- Google Labs Big Query (in preview) - May 21, 2010.BigQuery is a web service that enables you to do interactive analysis of massively large datasets (currently in preview)
Jobs (see also All Jobs)
- Director of Research, Algorithms and Data Mining at JustAnswer, San Francisco, CA - May 25, 2010.What if your work in algorithm development could help save lives? At JustAnswer, it could! We're the largest paid question and answer platform, where thousands of Doctors, Lawyers, Veterinarians, Mechanics, and other Experts answer questions 24/7
- Senior Games Analytics Engineer at Turiya Media, San Francisco, CA - May 25, 2010.Turiya is entering an exciting growth phase and are looking for bright people to join us. This is a unique opportunity to work with real data to solve mission critical problems for leading customers in one of the hottest areas of technology; determine not only how game companies use data but also shape the game experiences.
- Principal Software Development Engineer at AdCenter, Microsoft India Development Center, Hyderabad, India - May 25, 2010.Are you excited about data and algorithms? Applying your computer science skills to cutting edge business problems? Building a team of engineers with expertise in machine learning? If yes, then the adCenter R&D team at the Microsoft India Development Center (IDC) is for you.
- Forensic Analytics Manager at Travelers Insurance, Hartford, CT - May 24, 2010.Responsible for the management and development of a highly technical and analytical Special Investigative Unit staff in the development of new capabilities and finding business solutions through the use of technology and analytical techniques
- Manager / Senior Analyst, Partner Analytics at Orbitz, Chicago, IL - May 24, 2010.The Orbitz Partner Analytics group is responsible for building out the reporting and analytic framework to fully leverage the relationship with partners (hotels, airlines, car rental companies, cruise lines, advertisers and destination service providers).
- Director, Experimental Design & Analysis at eBay Inc., San Jose, CA - May 21, 2010.Design, develop, execute, and analyze research results aimed at improving overall eBay user experience, including search, feature engagement, other buyer/seller flows and advertising.
- Senior Analyst - Analytics at Epocrates, San Mateo, CA - May 20, 2010.Epocrates is a leader in providing innovative clinical solutions to physicians and other healthcare professionals; This position provides consultative services to internal and external clients in the analysis and interpretation of Epocrates user base and usage data.
- Data Mining Research Scientist at Technicolor, Princeton, NJ - May 19, 2010.Technicolor's Research & Innovation Center is searching for a world-class research scientist with expertise in data mining, information retrieval and machine learning, for application to recommender systems, user profiling and privacy modeling.
- Postdoc and PhD positions in Machine Learning and Computational Biology at Dept. of Computer Science, U. of London, London, UK - May 24, 2010.The successful candidates will work with Alberto Paccanaro on developing novel approaches to protein function prediction.
- Data Visualization/Data Mining Post-Doctoral Researcher at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA - May 20, 2010.seeking a motivated post-doctoral researcher with experience in data visualization and data mining techniques to assist in the development and evaluation of new graphical interfaces for the exploration of multi-dimensional data.
Meetings (see also All Meetings)
- PAKDD-2010, 21-24 Jun, Hyderabad, India - Call for Participation - May 26, 2010.Attend The Fourteenth Pacific-Asia Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining
- The Missing Statistic in the Decile Table: The Confidence Interval - May 26, 2010.The confidence interval that furnishes the precision of the model is considered necessary to complete the decile-table model assessment.
- Google Prediction API for Finding a Musical Profile - May 25, 2010.Grooveshark works on several Analysis and Prediction tasks, such as Music recommendations (both long tail and popular music), People recommendations, and Artist analytics.
- Avinash on Web Analytics Segmentation: Do or Die - May 24, 2010.My love for segmentation as the primary (only?) way of identify actionable insights is on display in pretty much every single blog post I write. I have said: All data in aggregate is "crap".
- Can Social Networks Be Generated Automatically? - May 23, 2010.To get an accurate picture of a social network, one needs to better define when two people are connected - are they friends if they've exchanged e-mails once? Or 10 times?
- SDM 2010 Proceedings available online - May 22, 2010.SDM 2010 continues a series of conferences focusing on the theory and practice of data mining as applied to data sets in science, engineering, biomedicine, and the social sciences,
- Eli Goldratt on Thinking Analytically - May 21, 2010.Tom H. C. Anderson and Management Guru Eli Goldratt discuss Cause and Effect Analysis
- Papers on Mapreduce & Hadoop in Data Mining / Machine Learning - May 22, 2010.Selected academic / research papers using Mapreduce & Hadoop; Most popular: 1) MapReduce-Based Pattern Finding Algorithm Applied in Motif Detection for Prescription Compatibility Network; 2) Data-intensive text processing with Mapreduce
- ID Analytics Gets Identity-Based Fraud Detection Patent - May 26, 2010.Company Receives Third Patent from U.S. Patent and Trademark Office for New Detection System and Method Using Historical Identity Records
- FICO Patents 8 New Analytic Techniques - May 24, 2010.The patents, awarded to several members of the FICO Labs team, cover breakthroughs in credit score interpretation, fraud detection, credit line optimization and other analytic technologies.
- Scientists devise algorithm to detect sarcasm - May 24, 2010.A computer algorithm capable of identifying sarcasm in written text has been developed by Israeli researchers.
- SAP analytics appliance with HP - May 24, 2010.SAP Business Analytic Engine will use in-memory technology and a calculation algorithm; expect 10x speed-up
- New SPSS boss navigates a sea of data - May 23, 2010.What does the integration of SPSS into IBM mean for buyers and users of SPSS software?
- Centrifuge / Saffron Visually Interactive Streaming Data Analytics Solution - May 20, 2010.Centrifuge Systems and Saffron Technology are partnering to deliver a graphical, highly interactive streaming data analytics and Business Intelligence solution for enterprises worldwid
CFP - Calls for Papers (see also All CFP)
- XML Data Mining (chapter proposals), due Jun 15
QuoteIt is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.