Features (6) |
Courses, Events (4) |
Software (4) |
Jobs (6) |
Academic (3) |
Competitions (2) |
Meetings (5) |
Publications (5) |
NewsBriefs (3) |
CFP (11) |
- Data miners think Target was not wrong to use analytics to find pregnant women - Mar 7, 2012.
Was Target wrong in using analytics to identify pregnant women from changes in their buying behavior ? Only 17% of data miners think so. Increased accuracy of big data analytics feels "creepy" when a big corporation knows too much about us. If understanding without empathy leads to "creepiness", should we prepare for a creepy future?
- Data Mining: Does Online Privacy Matter? - Mar 3, 2012.
- Strata 2012: Big Data is Bigger than Ever! - Mar 3, 2012.
Daniel Tunkelang reports on three days at the O'Reilly Strata Conference, an assembly of two thousand people focused on data science and its applications.
- Top news for Feb 26 - Mar 3 - Mar 4, 2012.
New Poll: Was Target wrong in using analytics?; Stephen Colbert on Target Analytics; Analytics/DM Salary
Top jobs: Data Scientist at Inkiru; Data Mining Scientist at Apple.
- Top news, jobs in February - Mar 1, 2012.
Top influencers in Big Data, Analytics, Data Mining; Poll: Analytics/DM Salary; Weave open-source data viz; Gartner MQ for BI
Top jobs: Data Science Positions for PhDs/PHD students from top schools at Accretive Health; Data Mining Scientist at Apple.
- Additions to KDnuggets in February - Mar 1, 2012.
An explosion of business-oriented meetings on Big Data and Analytics. Also new companies, datasets, education, books, software, solutions, and websites.
- Stanford: Online Graduate Certificate in Mining Big Data - Feb 29, 2012.
Experienced data miners are needed now more than ever! Earn a graduate certificate in Mining Massive Data Sets online from Stanford University and take your career to the next level.
- SAS data mining courses - Mar 7, 2012.
The SAS Business Knowledge Series hosts a variety of courses appropriate for all levels of data miners. Spring classes are filling quickly; register today!
- TMA Courses in Predictive Analytics [Apr: Las Vegas; May: DC] - Mar 1, 2012.
Get up to speed in data mining faster and more effectively than any other training program available. Next courses: April in Las Vegas, May in DC.
- Big Data for the Public Good, a four-part seminar series - Feb 28, 2012.
a four-part seminar series in San Francisco, covering Data Visualization (recorded), Data Without Borders (Mar 19), The Corporation (Apr 3), and Data Science as Sport (May 16).
- Precog platform for building big data applications - Mar 2, 2012.
Precog provides cloud-based infrastructure to store, enrich, and analyze big data via API-oriented infrastructure that enables developers of web, desktop, and mobile applications to solve big data problems. Precog also lets customers use its next-generation visualization engine separately from its analytics DB.
- AntMiner+ classification algorithm freely available - Feb 28, 2012.
AntMiner+ is a classification technique based on the principles of Ant Colony Optimization. Software is freely available at www.antminerplus.com.
- Infochimps Platform for Big Data - Feb 28, 2012.
The Infochimps Platform is end-to-end Big Data solution, complete with infrastructure and expertise. Scalably and affordably ingest data from your legacy databases, data feeds, data from the web, or our Data Marketplace.
- Opt-Out Provision Would Halt Some, but Not All, Web Tracking - Feb 29, 2012.
The ad & technology industries would support a "Do Not Track" mechanism in browsers that would allow consumers to opt out of having some companies, but not all, keep data on their online activities.
- Analytical Modeling Staff Scientist - #11002720 at SAS Institute, San Diego, CA - Mar 7, 2012.
Analyze customer data and build high-end analytical models for solving high-value business problems, such as credit card fraud, credit risk, network security, tax fraud detection, and revenue and collections optimization.
- Analyst/Consultant at The Nielsen Company, Chicago, IL - Mar 7, 2012.
Develop marketing mix and other statistical models, consult to management to quantify what drives sales and use the results to increase market share, revenue, and profit.
- Director Operational Analytics at PayPal, Hunt Valley, MD - Mar 6, 2012.
PayPal is the faster, safer way to pay and get paid online. Manage PayPal Credit Operations data team including providing goal setting, analytic framework and guidance. Select and develop team of analysts.
- Post Doc Research Staff - Social Media Analysis and Data Mining at HRL Laboratories, Malibu, CA - Mar 5, 2012.
apply statistical data analysis and text processing techniques to problems and applications in data mining.
- Associate Director, Audience Analysis Practice at MAGNA Global, New York, NY - Mar 2, 2012.
Actively participate in developing and publishing analyses based on MAGNA data resources, keep our agency partners informed, have a detailed knowledge of data products and publications.
- Data Scientist at Inkiru, Palo Alto, CA - Mar 1, 2012.
Inkiru combines predictive modeling and real-time transaction analysis with a unique combination of relevant private and public data to provide insights and actionable recommendations for businesses to manage their customer interactions.
- Researcher in Biomedical Text and Data Mining at NICTA Victoria Research Laboratory, Melbourne, Australia - Mar 7, 2012.
Our projects address biomedical data analysis through data integration, with a specific focus on using information in textual resources, and cross the spectrum from genomic data analysis to clinical record mining. Apply by Apr 1.
- Faculty in CS, Large Scale Data Mining, Machine Learning, or related fields at IMT Institute for Advanced Studies, Lucca, Italy - Mar 1, 2012.
IMT is recruiting for a tenured faculty position in CSE, Large Scale Data Mining, Graph Theory, Mathematical Statistics, or Machine Learning. Preference to candidates performing research at the intersection between algorithms, theory and applications.
- Postdoctoral Position in Data Mining at Monash U., Victoria, Australia - Feb 29, 2012.
A motivated and creative postdoc to join the Monash U. data mining group working with Geoff Webb & Ann Nicholson on discovering associations in the context of background knowledge. Applications due Mar 11.
- Gartner Business Intelligence (BI) Summit, Apr 2-4, Los Angeles - Mar 7, 2012.
Gartner Business Intelligence Summit, which delivers the analytics and insight your business needs. BI and analytics is the No. 1 technology priority for 2012, according to a new Gartner survey. KDnuggets is a media partner for the summit, and we have a great offer for bloggers.
- Sentiment Analysis for Business, Finance, and Social Media, May 8, New York - KDnuggets Discount - Mar 7, 2012.
The Symposium bridges technology and business in one of the most exciting applications to emerge in recent years: software that discovers business value in opinions and attitudes in social media, news, and enterprise feedback. Special discount for KDnuggets readers.
- Growing MIT conference looks at stats in sports - Mar 5, 2012.
The baseball box score should be completely retooled. Postseason experience has no value in the NBA playoffs. And sports leagues should give the No. 1 draft pick to the team that wins the most - after it's mathematically eliminated.
- Predictive Analytics Innovation Summit, London, April 2012 - Mar 2, 2012.
Brings together some of the world's most influential analytics professionals and will offer insight into an industry experiencing exceptional growth.
- Jul 10-13, Stanford: Modern Massive Data Sets Workshop (MMDS 2012) - Feb 29, 2012.
MMDS workshop will address algorithmic, mathematical, and statistical challenges in modern statistical data analysis
- The Risks of Using Spreadsheets for Statistical Analysis, Revisited - Mar 6, 2012.
Are spreadsheets more hindrance than help in data analysis? Download this free white paper from our partners at IBM to learn more, including: why over 90% of spreadsheets have errors, the types of spreadsheet errors, their causes and implications, and what is an alternative.
- Part 3: What Is Social Media Analytics? - 4 Experts Debate - Mar 1, 2012.
In our third installment, we reached out to four experts (from Anderson Analytics, Social Target, Gnip, and Zoetica Media) to gain insights into what social media data really is and where it comes from.
- Tom Wolfer interviews Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro on KDnuggets, Social Media - Mar 5, 2012.
Tom Wolfer asked me what is KDnuggets, who has to subscribe to it, what are the popular section, how do I choose polls, and more.
- DHS 2011 Data Mining Report to Congress Released - Mar 6, 2012.
This is the sixth comprehensive DHS Data Mining Report to Congress which discusses the use of data mining technology in Federal Government.
- Nuts and Bolts of Data Mining: Classifiers & ROC Curves - Feb 28, 2012.
Measuring the performance of classifiers: hits, misses, false alarms, and the ROC curve that pulls them all together.
CFP - Calls for Papers
- WOD-2012: First Int. Workshop on Open Data, due Mar 8
- RecSys : ACM Int. Conf. on Recommender Systems 2012, due Apr 2
- ICDM '12:w: ICDM 2012 call for workshops, due Apr 6
- TAW Boston 2012: Text Analytics World (Bos), due Apr 13
- PAW Boston 2012: Predictive Analytics World (Bos), due Apr 13
- DA-2012: DATA ANALYTICS 2012, due May 7
- TAVA: Theory and Application of Visual Analytics, due May 11
- MultiClust: Discovering, Summarizing and Using Multiple Clusterings, due May 15
- ICDM '12: ICDM 2012, due Jun 18
- GIS 2012: ACM SIGSPATIAL GIS 2012, due Jun 18
- ICDM '12: d/t: ICDM 2012, due Aug 10
"Everybody is a Data Scientist", Venkatesh Rao in Forbes, describing Strata 2012 Feb conference.