Features (9) |
Software (2) |
Courses, Events (4) |
Webcasts (3) |
Meetings (1) |
Jobs (13) |
Academic (3) |
Competitions (2) |
Publications (4) |
NewsBriefs (3) |
CFP (1) |
- New Poll: What will replace Big Data? - Sep 13, 2012.
All technology terms have their lifetime. Big Data is very hot in 2012, but will also be replaced by a newer term which will better capture the power of huge wave of data. What will replace it and when? Please vote on www.kdnuggets.com
- Poll Results: Education Level - Sep 12, 2012.
KDnuggets readers are very well educated, with 35% having a PhD and 81% having MS or another graduate degree. Asian and European readers have slightly higher education levels.
- Exclusive: Scott Nicholson Interview: Data Science, Economics, Weather, LinkedIn, and Healthcare - Aug 28, 2012.
I recently spoke with Scott Nicholson (currently Chief Data Scientist at Accretive Health, formerly at LinkedIn) about his perspective and insights on the industry.
- PAW FAQ: Predictive Analytics World, Sep 30 - Oct 4, 2012, Boston - Aug 28, 2012.
Eric Siegel, PAW founding chairs answers: Why should I come to PAW Boston? What's new? Is it really 5 days long? How to choose sessions to attend, and other questions. Special KDnuggets discount.
- Extracting Business Value from Text Analytics - How-to-guide - Sep 12, 2012.
This free report has lots of practical insight, recommendations and predictions from analytics experts from Disney, American Airlines, Porter Novelli, and more.
- Top news for Sep 2-8: Exclusive Scott Nicholson interview; Stanford Online courses - Sep 9, 2012.
Top news for Aug 26 - Sep 1: Exclusive Scott Nicholson interview; Stanford Online courses; Short course: 10 Hot Ideas for Learning from Data
Top jobs: Sr. Data Scientist at Snap-Interactive; Senior Data Engineer at Snap Interactive
- Top news for Aug 26 - Sep 1: Exclusive Scott Nicholson interview; Stanford Online courses - Sep 3, 2012.
Exclusive: Scott Nicholson Interview: Data Science, Economics, LinkedIn, and Healthcare; Stanford: Data Mining, Statistics Online;
Top jobs: Data Scientist at Accretive Health; Sr Data Scientist at Netflix.
- Top news, jobs in August: Top languages for analytics; Interesting Open-Source Projects; Big Data Cartoon - Sep 1, 2012.
Poll results: Top languages for analytics/data mining programming; Interesting Open-Source projects in ML/Data Mining; Big Data Cartoon: what do to with 100K Warehouses?;
Top jobs: Data Mining Engineer at Intel; Algorithms Scientist at Guardian Analytics
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in Aug - Sep 1, 2012.
New companies, datasets, education, meetings, software, solutions
- Online Courses in Data Mining from statistics.com - Sep 13, 2012.
Upcoming online courses in Data Mining, Predictive Modeling and Forecasting, Segmentation/Clustering, and Recommender Systems from statistics.com
- Webinar: CCR - new method for analyzing data with many correlated predictors - Sep 11, 2012.
Webinar: Correlated Component Regression (CCR): A New Method for Analyzing Big Data or Small Data Containing Many Correlated Predictors, Sep 27. Sponsored by the American Statistical Association, this 2 hour webinar illustrates regression with more predictors than cases on several examples. Register by Sep 25.
- Stanford: Data Mining and Statistics Courses Online - Sep 11, 2012.
Put your career on the fast track with Stanford graduate courses and certificates in Big Data Mining, Financial Risk Analysis, and Quantitative Methods in Finance
- Short course: Ten Hot Ideas for Learning from Data (SLDM 3), Sep 18-19, New York, NY - Sep 8, 2012.
This two-day course from Stanford Professors Hastie and Robert Tibshirani gives a detailed overview of statistical models for data mining, inference and prediction, emphasizing the tools useful for tackling modern-day data analysis problems.
- Webinar: Data Mining: Failure to Launch [Sep 18] - Sep 13, 2012.
Learn how to get started with predictive modeling and overcome strategic and tactical limitations that cause data mining projects to fall short of their potential.
- Carpe Datum Rx Webinar, Oct 4 - Sep 13, 2012.
Big data is reaping big results for email marketers. Learn how B2C companies are better targeting consumers and significantly increasing conversion rates using analytics-based targeting.
- On-Demand Webcast - Analytically Speaking with Kaiser Fung - Sep 10, 2012.
Fung talks about the importance of statistical literacy, particularly when it comes to data and graphics in mass media and communicating about data in a business setting.
- Computational Systems Scientist at Firmenich, New York, NY - Sep 12, 2012.
Develop and implement computational methods for analyzing unique biological data in support of Flavor and Fragrance research. Find the flavor of Big Data !
- Analytical Services Program Manager at JPMChase, Columbus, OH - Sep 12, 2012.
The Analytical Services group is responsible for developing, implementing and improving the production analytics that support Centralized Transaction Operations. The Manager roles include building and managing a team, being a thought leader, and performing hands-on analytical work.
- Statistician - Business Analytics Applications at Dow Agro, Indianapolis, IN, USA - Sep 11, 2012.
Interact with scientists and business leaders across business functions, development and application of statistical algorithms and software to mine business datasets.
- Mathematician - Business Analytics Applications at Dow Agro, Indianapolis, IN, USA - Sep 11, 2012.
Development and application of mathematical algorithms and software to mine business datasets, including manufacturing, supply chain, marketing, purchasing, forecasting, and more.
- Machine Learning Specialist - Business Analytics Applications at Dow AgroSciences, Indianapolis, IN, USA - Sep 11, 2012.
Machine Learning expert to help in the identification of projects and analyses of business related datasets, interact with scientists and business leaders across business functions.
- Data Scientist at Resonate, Reston, VA - Sep 10, 2012.
A highly talented and motivated Data Scientist, analyze our Big Data and refine our campaign optimization and targeting algorithms.
- Manager, Database Marketing Analytics at CondeNast, New York, NY - Sep 8, 2012.
An experienced and highly motivated Database Marketing analytic professional to join the Consumer Marketing organization, to support enterprise initiatives on acquisition, retention and value through the in-depth, quantitative analyses of consumer data.
- Sr. Data Scientist at Snap-Interactive, New York, NY - Sep 1, 2012.
Provide technical leadership for SNAP Big Data team; design and develop analytical systems to extract meaning from large scale and unstructured data
- Senior Data Engineer at Snap Interactive, New York, NY - Sep 1, 2012.
SNAP Interactive builds AreYouInterested.com, a social discovery application that leverages data from Facebook and other API's to match people who share similar interests.
- Data Scientist at Inkiru, Palo Alto, CA - Sep 1, 2012.
Inkiru combines predictive modeling and real-time transaction analysis with a unique combination of relevant private and public data to provide insights and actionable recommendations.
- Data Scientist at Accretive Health, San Francisco, CA (preferred) or Chicago, IL - Aug 29, 2012.
Quantitative experts to help us fix some fundamental problems in the healthcare industry. You will leverage our proprietary dataset and connections to a large set of hospital systems to quickly create huge financial and societal benefit.
- Bioinformatics Scientist at Accretive Health, San Francisco, CA (preferred) or Chicago, IL - Aug 29, 2012.
Leverage our proprietary dataset and connections to a large set of hospital systems to quickly create huge financial and societal benefit. This team is a startup within the company, building the next generation of our business.
- Senior Business Product Analyst at Best Buy, Richfield, MN - Aug 28, 2012.
Help execute search initiatives, in tandem with the Search Product Managers and technical team members, to deliver on the strategy and vision for Search.
- 3 Postdoc positions at Northeastern-Harvard, Boston, MA - Sep 12, 2012.
The collaborative projects are wide ranging, including experimental data on interaction patterns and group performance, large scale, society-spanning communication data, social media data, political contribution data, and large corpora of unstructured political text. Apply by Sep 21.
- PhD position in Machine Learning/Data Mining/IR at Technical U., Darmstadt, Germany - Sep 10, 2012.
Research and teaching in machine learning, data mining, and information retrieval, particularly on unsupervised information extraction and aggregation. Application deadline: September 23.
- Postdoc, IR/Data Mining at ISTI-CNR, Pisa, Italy - Sep 1, 2012.
Studying tourist movement to identify points of interest, measure the visiting time, to establish visiting paths within the city, and design system for suggestions of new interesting points
- New Book: Data Mining for the Masses - Sep 10, 2012.
The book is written for non-experts who would like to learn basic data mining principles and techniques. It uses RapidMiner Community Edition and OpenOffice Calc as the software environments
- DJ Patil on Data Jujitsu: The art of turning data into product - Aug 28, 2012.
The art of using multiple data elements in clever ways to solve iterative problems that, when combined, solve a data problem that might otherwise be intractable.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Aug 29 - Sep 9: Some think "data mining" is almost dead; IBM buys Kenexa, Social #BigData company - Sep 10, 2012.
Some think "data mining" is almost dead (but it depends on how they define it); IBM buys Kenexa, Social #BigData company; 11 Ants Analytics shows how to Transform Teradata into a predictive analytics solution; Top news in August
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Sep 10-12: Best interview questions for ML/data mining; An algorithm finds suspect social-network links - Sep 13, 2012.
Peter Skomoroch of LinkedIn and others share their best interview questions for machine learning/data mining; Math vs Fraud: a Steiner tree algorithm finds suspect social-network connections; New Book: Data Mining for the Masses; Webinar (Sep 27): CCR - a new method for analyzing data with many correlated predictors
- INFORMS Certified Analytics Professional Program - Sep 12, 2012.
Eligibility criteria for the CAP certification include BA/BS or MA/MS degree in related area, 5+ years of analytics work-related experience, verification of soft skills/provision of business value by employer.
- Security Data Science - Sep 12, 2012.
The Association of Security Data Scientists is promoting and developing the Security Data Science profession by connecting a community of practicing security data scientist and providing training, guides, certifications and other resources to help each member improve their skills.
- GoodData Bashes Target Big Business Data - Sep 11, 2012.
Cloud analytics provider GoodData has a new suite of offerings that let users connect their various data sources into a single platform that handles the analysis and visualization for them.
CFP - Calls for Papers
"Do you enjoy pushing buttons just to see what happens? If you don't, you're not going to be a good data scientist" - Professor Mark Whitehorn, University of Dundee (thanks to WhatsTheBigData.com)