- Pattern: a web mining module for Python - Feb 25, 2011.
bundles tools for data retrieval (Google + Twitter + Wikipedia API ...), text analysis (rule-based shallow parser, WordNet...) and data visualization.
- The Data Viz Challenge: can you make tax data exciting? - Feb 25, 2011.
Google and Eyebeam data provide an API for US tax data, and challenge you to display it in an interesting way.
- Visualize your own data in the Google Public Data Explorer - Feb 20, 2011.
Google is opening the Public Data Explorer to your datam with a new data format, the Dataset Publishing Language (DSPL), openly available, and provides an interface for anyone to upload their datasets.
- Wharton Challenge: Relationship Marketing at StubHub - Feb 17, 2011.
StubHub, the leading destination for fans seeking tickets to live events, seeks to go beyond computing conversion rates for individual email campaigns to exploring the longer-term effects of their relationship marketing activities on customers' future transactions
- Pentagon's Prediction Software Didn't Spot Egypt Unrest - Feb 14, 2011.
In the last 3 years, US agencies spent more than $125 million on computer models that are supposed to forecast political unrest. But apparently none of these models saw the upheaval in Egypt
- Competition on Plagiarism Detection, Author Identification - Feb 14, 2011.
This year's edition divides into three tasks, namely plagiarism detection, author identification, and Wikipedia vandalism detection. Submission deadline May 31.
- New site for data-related questions - Feb 8, 2011.
A new site for asking and answering data-related questions - getthedata.org
- Free Public Datasets - Feb 3, 2011.
A big list of free public datasets