- KDnuggets Day: Feb 13 is the 15th anniversary of KDnuggets - Feb 13, 2012.I feel lucky to be able to cover such an exciting, growing field. The buzzwords have changed from Knowledge Discovery to Data Mining to Predictive Analytics to Data Science, but the essence has remained.
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Business Intelligence Platforms, 2012 - Feb 14, 2012.In 2011, business users continued to exert significant influence over BI decisions, often choosing data discovery products in addition to/as alternatives to traditional BI tools. Oracle, Microstrategy, Microsoft, and IBM are on the leading edge in the latest Magic Quadrant, followed by Information Builders, QlikTech, SAS, and SAP.
- Top news for Feb 5-11 - Feb 12, 2012.Top influencers in Big Data, Analytics, and Data Mining; New Poll: Analytics/DM Salary; Anonymized data not so anonymous
Top jobs: Data Science Positions for PhDs, Students and a Chief Algo. Officer at Accretive Health, Chicago; Data Scientist at Resonate, Reston, VA.
- TMA Courses in Predictive Analytics [Apr: Las Vegas; May: DC] - Feb 14, 2012.Get up to speed in data mining faster and more effectively than any other training program available. Next courses: April in Las Vegas, May in DC.
- ACM Course, Mar 10, San Jose: An introduction to R for software developers and data analysts - Feb 11, 2012.This course outline includes R introduction (including getting unstuck), Data Management, Graphics, and Statistical Analysis and Data Mining.
- U. Porto Master in Information Engineering (MEINF) - Feb 8, 2012.The University of Porto is seeking international candidates for the Master in Information Engineering (MEINF), which is taught entirely in English. MEINF educates engineers to be able to design, build and test engineering systems centered in information and knowledge processing.
- Webinar, Mar 5: Consuming BIG Data - Feb 14, 2012.This 45 minute webinar will cover the acquisition, indexing, and storage of big data, and how end-users can consume it. The framework for this webinar comes a recent report that divides BI into 4 categories: Reporting, Analytical, Content, and Continuous.
- Feb 29 Webinar: Transforming Internal Audits with Next-Generation Analytics - Feb 13, 2012.We will discuss the challenges within internal auditing today and how next-generation approaches are helping auditors get their results more cost-effectively and accurately.
- SmartAnalytics Webinar, Feb 17: Big Data is the Answer - What was the question? - Feb 13, 2012.The webcast will discuss what the most compelling business opportunities that can be addressed with Big Data, how will Big Data impact the way we do business in 2012 and 2015 and more.
- First Look - Oracle Advanced Analytics - Feb 13, 2012.New Oracle database option bundles Oracle R Enterprise and Oracle Data Mining. There is no need for modelers to write SQL - they can just write R code and manipulate the data in the database.
- Start-ups help users price their personal data - Feb 13, 2012.A number of start-ups allow people to take control and possibly profit from their personal data they leave on the Internet. A study showed that a unique user was worth $4 to Facebook and $24 to Google.
- Omniscope and R - Feb 12, 2012.Steve Miller reviews Omniscope DataExplorer (data discovery & analysis) and DataManager (ETL tool), and especially likes its interoperability with R.
- Big Data Insights: Traackr migration from HBase to MongoDB - Feb 11, 2012.Traackr engineer talks about evolution of their data storage needs from Apache HBase to MongoDB and what lessons they learned along the way.
- Postdoc Researcher - Data Scientist at The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), Golden, CO - Feb 13, 2012.perform research on the use of modern statistical techniques in the analysis of data sets relating to renewable energy and energy efficiency. Must be a recent PhD graduate in the last 3 years.
- Predictive Modeler/Data Scientist at Allstate Insurance, Northbrook, IL - Feb 10, 2012.Opportunity for a creative predictive modeler/data scientist to use machine learning, statistics, data mining, and analytic skills to influence the decision making.
- Sr. Database Architect at Knowledge Exchange, Northern VA, or Southern CA, or Salt Lake City area - Feb 10, 2012.We are assembling a multidisciplinary team of data scientists, developers and analysts to support political campaign and marketing efforts, for politically right of center organizations in the 2012 election cycle.
- Quantitative Researcher at d50media, Wellesley, MA. - Feb 9, 2012.design, build, and deliver analytic and modeling solutions that optimize investments in digital media, direct marketing, and mass media. Work with clients to understand business issues. Work with internal teams to create tools and reporting dashboards.
- Manager, Marketing Database & Campaign Analytics at Cablevision Systems Corp., Bethpage, NY, USA - Feb 8, 2012.Responsible for leading the execution of the analytics and data strategy needed to meet the requirements of the marketing organization.
- Postdoctoral researchers at Helsinki Institute for Information Technology (HIIT), Finland - Feb 9, 2012.HIIT research ranges from fundamental methods and technologies to novel applications and their impact on science, people and society. Research areas include developing advanced data analysis, mining, and modelling methods.
- Research Assistant Professor in Medical Informatics at U. of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS - Feb 8, 2012.KUMC seeks highly motivated individuals with a passion for software development, scientific discovery, and improving healthcare. Be part of a rapidly growing team developing informatics to further translational research and serving a dynamic community.
- KDD-2012 Call for Demonstrations / Exhibits - Feb 14, 2012.We encourage demos that focus on new technology and early prototypes, but will also be interested in submissions based on mature systems with experimental features and functionalities. Short proposals due Apr 6.
- Sentiment Analysis for Business, Finance, and Social Media, May 8, New York - Feb 10, 2012.The Symposium bridges technology and business in one of the most exciting applications to emerge in recent years: software that discovers business value in opinions and attitudes in social media, news, and enterprise feedback.
- Mobile Analytics by Jesus Mena, Kindle edition - Feb 14, 2012.This book is about the modeling of mobile behaviors in millions of peoples pockets or purses - incredibly powerful diaries of personal life.
- Big Data for Higher Education - Feb 12, 2012.New students are more likely to drop out of online colleges if they take full courseloads than if they enroll part time, according to findings from a research project that analyzed data on 640,000 students. The data can enable the colleges to become Match.com for Higher Ed.
- Customer Analytics: A New Lifeline for the Red Cross and Other Nonprofits? - Feb 11, 2012.Red Cross and Wharton Customer Analytics Initiative (WCAI) are working with 6 teams of researchers, including IBM Watson, who will analyze data and help Red Cross find its best potential donors.
- Birst Lowers Hadoop Adoption Barrier - Feb 10, 2012.Birst has lowered the Hadoop adoption barrier by letting users treat Big Data like an ordinary data set and ask it a broad set of questions. A company now only needs a half-a-developer to do the work, not a handful.
- Microsoft researchers say anonymized data isn't so anonymous - Feb 9, 2012.Web log data such as can identify individual machines. HTTP user-agent information alone can identify the host 62% of the time, and with the IP address accuracy jumps to 81%.
CFP - Calls for Papers
- PAW DE 2012: Predictive Analytics World Dusseldorf, due Mar 2
- TSD 2012: TEXT, SPEECH and DIALOGUE , due Mar 15
- FFDM 2012: Foundations and Frontiers of Data Mining, due Mar 24
- PAW-GOV 2012: PAW for Government, due Mar 30
- KDD-2012-Demos: KDD-2012 Demos and Exhibits, due Apr 6
- TAW Boston 2012: Text Analytics World (Bos), due Apr 13
- PAW Boston 2012: Predictive Analytics World (Bos), due Apr 13
- RecSys 2012 T: Recommender Systems Tutorial Proposals, due Apr 16
- ACM-BCB 2012: Bioinformatics, Computational Biology and Biomedicine, due May 7
- CIDU 2012: Conference on Intelligent Data Understanding, due May 18
- PAW London: Predictive Analytics World (UK), due May 25
Quote"After Eisenhower, you couldn't win an election without radio. After JFK, you couldn't win an election without television. After Obama, you couldn't win an election without social networking. I predict that in 2012, you won't be able to win an election without big data."
O'Reilly Radar big data columnist Alistair Croll.