Features (9) |
Software (4) |
Courses, Events (2) |
Webcasts (2) |
Meetings (1) |
Jobs (9) |
Academic (7) |
Competitions (5) |
Publications (6) |
NewsBriefs (4) |
CFP (11) |
- Poll Results: Where did you apply Analytics/Data Mining? ( comments) - Dec 11, 2012.
The top application area remains CRM/Consumer analytics, but the next 4 industries have changed order. Advertising has shown the biggest growth in analytics applications.
- Cartoon: Preparing for the Big Data Flood ( comments) - Dec 7, 2012.
Enjoy the new Ted Goff cartoon which looks at preparations for the Big Data Flood.
- Taking misleading statistics to a new level ( comments) - Dec 5, 2012.
Statisticians from one network have taken the art of political persuasion using misleading statistics to a new level and have come up with interesting new techniques.
- PAW - Predictive Analytics World San Francisco, April 14-19, 2013 - Dec 11, 2012.
Led by industry heavyweights, including Rayid Ghani (Obama 2012 Campaign Chief Scientist) and Anthony Goldbloom (Kaggle CEO), Predictive Analytics World (PAW) San Francisco 2013 will focus on practical, real-world solutions. Register by Dec 21 Super Early Bird rates.
- EMC Data Science and Big Data Analytics Self-paced Course - Dec 4, 2012.
Learn with Data Science and Big Data Analytics (DSBDA) self-paced course from EMC, designed for for business and data analysts, business intelligence managers, and database professionals leveraging Big Data to address business challenges.
- Top news for Dec 2-8: How Deep Learning Keeps Winning; Cartoon: Preparing for the Big Data Flood - Dec 9, 2012.
How Deep Learning Keeps Winning Competitions; Cartoon: Preparing for the Big Data Flood; Try R code school for beginners
Top jobs: Data Mining Scientist at Apple; Faculty position in BI Management and Systems at KU Leuven
- Top news for Nov 25 - Dec 1: Where did you apply Analytics / Data Mining in 2012? 2013: The International Year of Statistics - Dec 2, 2012.
New Poll: Where did you apply Analytics / Data Mining in 2012? The International Year of Statistics: 2013; Choosing the Right Machine Learning Methods
Top jobs: Sr. Scientist, Knowledge Discovery, Data Mining at Firmenich; Sr. SW Engineer, Big Data Mining at Mopals
- Top news, jobs in November: Nate Silver gets Gold; Best Python modules for data mining - Dec 1, 2012.
Nate Silver gets Gold on correct predictions of US Elections; Best Python modules for data mining; 2013 - the international year of Statistics
Top jobs: Postdoc, Bayesian Inference/Machine Learning at OSU, OH and Boston; Data Scientist at Datascope Analytics
- Additions to KDnuggets Directory in November - Dec 1, 2012.
Big Data Landcape, Directing, and other new companies, education programs, meetings, data mining software, solutions, blogs
- Try R: Code School for Beginners - Dec 8, 2012.
The new "Try R Code School" lets you learn R at your own pace and earn badges for each chapter.
- How Deep Learning Keeps Winning Competitions - Dec 5, 2012.
Kurtzweil AI interviews Dr. Jurgen Schmidhuber of Switzerland, whose lab software using deep learning recently exceeded human performance on several tasks. What are the secrets of their success?
- Angoss Predictive Analytics Software Suite 8.5 - Nov 30, 2012.
R Support, Text Analytics, Credit Scorecard and Cloud Deployment Enhancements, along with advances across the complete Angoss predictive analytics software suite.
- ADaMSoft: free software for Data Analysis and Statistical Modeling - Nov 28, 2012.
ADaMSoft is a free and open-source system, written in Java, for data management and data mining. It is multilingual and multiplatform.
- Sentiment Analysis Symposium Videos, Call for Speakers - Dec 1, 2012.
The Call for Speakers is open for the next Sentiment Analysis Symposium, slated for May 8, 2013 in New York and covering solutions that measure and exploit emotions, attitudes, and opinions in online, social, and enterprise sources. Check FREE videos of presentations and panels from the October, 2012 symposium in San Francisco.
- Data Scientist at SingTel Group Digital Life at SingTel, Singapore - Dec 11, 2012.
We are looking for exceptional people to join the newly formed RnD team within Living Analytics, to create new insights in the big data environment from Telco, Digital, Social, Location, Consumer Interaction and Mobile Senses data.
- Sr. AI Analyst, AI Engineer, Statistical Engineer positions at Campanja, Sweden - Dec 10, 2012.
We are looking for someone that can build predictive models from heterogeneous data sources, work with big data systems, and develop algorithms for classification, regression, and clustering. If you take pride in your work, take initiatives to optimize model accuracy and performance, this job will be perfect for you.
- Customer Value Analyst at Mercury, Denver/Durango, CO - Dec 10, 2012.
Do you enjoy solving challenging business problems that combine quantitative analysis, scientific investigation, and real-world customer impact?
- Sr. Statistical Analysis Manager at CapitalOne, Wilmington, DE - Dec 7, 2012.
Lead statistical and analytical problem solving for a Capital One business area in order to improve profitability and the effectiveness of business decisions.
- Sr. Statistical Analyst at Scotts, Columbus, OH area - Dec 6, 2012.
Support analytics/testing/modeling/promotional and advertising effectiveness efforts; be a resource for statistical applications/research techniques
- Director, Data Sciences at 7, Campbell or Alameda, CA - Dec 4, 2012.
Lead a deeply technical cross-geo Speech Science team of Data Sciences, Analytics, Statistics, and Linguistics professionals to define and deliver cutting edge solutions, to build out and enhance Speech Science technology.
- Data Mining Scientist at Apple, Austin, TX - Dec 1, 2012.
An outstanding data mining scientist who is interested in designing, developing, and fielding data mining solutions that have direct and measurable impact to Apple. Apple has a tremendous amount of data, and we have just scratched the surface in pattern detection, anomaly detection, predictive modeling, and optimization.
- Sr Research Scientist, Digital Center of Innovation at Nielsen, Sunnyvale, CA - Nov 29, 2012.
Support development of new products which may include measuring media audiences, the effectiveness of advertising, and new social networking behaviors across online, mobile, and TV.
- Senior Software Engineer, Big Data Mining at Mopals, Toronto, ON, Canada - Nov 28, 2012.
Be part of a development team developing an intelligent engine that will leverage data mining on massive data to offer a customised experience to social media users.
- Faculty, Business Analytics at Stevens Inst. of Technology, Hoboken, NJ - Nov 29, 2012.
Stevens Institute of Technology Howe School is seeking a tenure-track faculty for its new Master of Science in Business Intelligence and Analytics.
- Faculty in Analytics and Systems Engineering at U. of Oklahoma, Norman, OK - Nov 29, 2012.
Candidates should have a strong foundation in theoretical approaches (e.g., statistical analysis, data mining, operations research) to model and make sense of large, potentially complex, data sets.
- Full Research Professorship, 4 years at RWTH Aachen U., Germany - Dec 6, 2012.
The successful candidate will contribute to Research Laboratory of the OR and Management Research with expertise in analytics, big data, or optimization under uncertainty/robust optimization.
- Postdocs, knowledge reuse, Machine Learning, Data Mining at U. Bristol and U. Strasbourg, Bristol, UK and Strasbourg, France - Dec 5, 2012.
Several postdoc positions on the REFRAME project: adapting models to changes in data and geo applications, ROC for the smart electricity metering, and reframing in the context of incompleteness.
- Postdoc and Research Engineer: probabilistic information extraction at LIP6 Paris, Paris, France - Dec 4, 2012.
The project goal is to develop and apply advanced methods for probabilistic modeling and inference - especially open-universe probability models - to the problem of extracting information from semi-structured and unstructured text/Web data at a large scale.
- Postdoc, Analysis and Modeling of Social Networks at Indiana, Bloomington, IN - Dec 3, 2012.
Research on information diffusion patterns, epidemic models for the spread of ideas, interactions between network traffic and structure dynamics, and agent-based models to explain the emergence of viral bursts of attention.
- Faculty position in Business Information Management and Systems at KU Leuven, Belgium - Dec 2, 2012.
Focus on fundamental as well as applied research regarding the intersection of business and information technology and set up a research program in a promising area of business information management and systems.
- PAN: Plagiarism detection, Author Id, Author Profiling competitions - Dec 11, 2012.
Three competitions: Given a document, is it an original? Given a document, who wrote it? Given a document, what's its author's age / gender?
- Skytree Contest: What is Your Big Data Problem? - Dec 7, 2012.
kytree Launches "What's Your (Big Data) Problem?" contest designed to push the envelope of Data Science with Machine Learning. The winner received a free Skytree Server valued at $100K. Five Runners up will receive free machine learning consulting.
- Innocentive: Change from Curative to Preventive Products - Dec 4, 2012.
Ideation contest to help promote word of mouth recommendations to help people move from on-demand products that address an existing problem to longer acting preventative products.
- GE Hospital Quest on Kaggle - Dec 3, 2012.
General Electric (GE) is sponsoring a big competition on Kaggle: Hospital Quest, to improve the patient experience.
- GE Flight Quest on Kaggle - Dec 3, 2012.
General Electric (GE) is sponsoring a big new competition on Kaggle: Flight Quest, to help make flying more efficient and more on time
- FREE IBM White Paper: The How's and Why's of Survey Research - Dec 11, 2012.
Discover the seven steps to better survey research - and discover how predictive analytics can take it to the next level. Get the white paper now.
- Wikibon on Big Data: Hadoop, Business Analytics and Beyond - Nov 30, 2012.
Wikibon excellent overview of Big Data landscape, including Data Processing and Analytics: The Old Way, the changing nature of Big Data, new approaches to Big Data processing and analytics, the Big Data Vendor Landscape, the Big Data Skills Gap, and next steps.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 6-9: Great visual history of data visualization; Bayes theorem explained - Dec 10, 2012.
Great visual history of data visualization - from 1800 to now; Bayes theorem explained - how to adjust the probability after a test; The ant is a collectively intelligent, individually stupid; man is the opposite; Try R: Code School for Beginners
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Dec 3-5: Real-Time Predictive Analytics with #BigData and R; Do data scientists earn $300K? Big Data dirty secret - Dec 6, 2012.
Real-Time Predictive Analytics with #BigData and R: the analytics stack; Do data scientists earn $300K? #BigData dirty secret; Data Scientist: #1 Hot IT Job for 2013 - a mix of statistician, a hacker, and an MBA
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 29 - Dec 2: MOA, OS framework for data stream mining; If BigData is too big - is DNA an answer? - Dec 3, 2012.
MOA, an open source framework for data stream mining, follow-up to Weka; If #BigData is too big - is DNA an answer? Harvard profs store 700 TB in DNA; British researchers analyze 2.5M articles, prove that machine learning/ NLP can accurately classify media
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Nov 26-28: Really Big Data: Google Spanner, the largest single database; Top 3 myths about Data Science - Nov 29, 2012.
Really BigData: Google Spanner, the largest single database on Earth; Top 3 myths about Data Science: 1. Data science is for math geeks only; Big Data news of the week - how Google runs the company, the most important ingredient in data science
- New sales for SAS data mining software up 28% - Dec 11, 2012.
SAS is riding the big data wave, with new sales up 28%. Examples include American Honda, Hyundai Motor Company and Shanghai General Motors which use SAS to detect emerging quality issues and improve customer satisfaction. SAS is also used at 80 global government entities, the 15 US federal depts and all 50 US state governments.
- Marketing Analytics Increase Return on Assets by 8% - Dec 3, 2012.
Fortune 1000 companies using marketing analytics improve their return on assets an average 8% and as much as 21%.
- Radoop Team wins hack/reduce hackathon in Boston ( comments) - Nov 29, 2012.
A report on Boston first hack/reduce hackathon from the winning Radoop team. What did they find by clustering 25 GB dating profiles and why "Half Your Age Plus 7 Rule" is only half valid.
- SAP Predictive Analysis Software - Nov 28, 2012.
It provides an intuitive, easy-to-use environment for designing predictive models, data manipulation tools, visualization with embedded SAP Visual Intelligence software, and more.
CFP - Calls for Papers
- Sentiment-13: Sentiment Analysis Symposium, due Dec 17
- DMLS 2013: Int. Workshop on Data Mining in Life Sciences, due Dec 18
- DMA 2013: Int. Workshop on Data Mining in Agriculture, due Dec 18
- ICDM 2013: Industrial Conference on Data Mining, due Dec 18
- DMM 2013: Int. Workshop on Data Mining in Marketing, due Dec 18
- MLDM 2013: Int. Conference on Machine Learning and Data Mining, due Dec 18
- SS-5: Mining for Social Network, Special session, due Dec 20
- MobiWIS 2013: The 10th Int. Conf. on Mobile Web Information Systems, due Dec 20
- GECCO-2013 ML Track: Genetics-Based Machine Learning track, due Jan 23
- UDM-2013: Ubiquitous Data Mining Workshop, due Apr 20
- IDA-2013: Intelligent Data Analysis, due May 6
Enjoy 12/12/12 - the last triple date of this century !