- Revolutionary R, An Interview with REvolution Computing CEO Norman Nie - Apr 30, 2010.
Norman Nie is a co-founder and past CEO of SPSS. He recently became CEO of REvolution Computing, the commercial open source vendor of the R Project
- Data mining with WEKA, Part 1: Introduction and regression - Apr 30, 2010.
an intro to data mining and to WEKA, free and open source software you can use to mine your own data
- Goodnight: SAS data analytics offers much more than BI from IBM, SAP - Apr 29, 2010.
Dr. Goodnight explains his decision to enter the social media analytics field, how SAS determines which data warehouse vendors to partner with on in-database analytics, and why industry-specific analytic products are the right approach
- KDnuggets 10:n09: Facebook Open Graph; Rexer Data Mining Survey; Kaggle - Apr 28, 2010.
latest data mining news and analytics news, including Features (3) | Software (2) | Jobs (5) | Meetings (3) | Publications (4) | NewsBriefs (13) | CFP (6)
- The Paradox of Overfitting - Apr 26, 2010.
An overfitted model is one that approaches reproducing the training data on which the model is built.
- Book: Intro. to Information Retrieval, online - Apr 26, 2010.
The book aims to provide a modern approach to information retrieval from a computer science perspective and is based on a courses taught at Stanford and U. of Stuttgart.
- Avinash Kaushik on Web Analytics 101 - Apr 22, 2010.
There seems to be genuine confusion about the simplest, most foundational, parts of web metrics / analytics. So in this short post let's try and see if we can fix this really basic problem.
- Keeping Medical Data Private - Apr 22, 2010.
Algorithm protects patients personal information while preserving the data utility in large-scale medical studies
- New Book: Search User Interfaces, by Marti Hearst - read online free - Apr 22, 2010.
The full text of this book can be read free of charge.
- New book on analytics, plus my blogs - Apr 21, 2010.
In my book "Numbers Rule Your World: the hidden influence of probability and statistics on everything you do" I discuss five fundamental statistical concepts through telling stories of how statistics affect many aspects of our lives
- Tom H.C. Anderson Interview with Dan Ariely - Apr 21, 2010.
NGMR Marketing Guru Interview - Dan Ariely and Tom H. C. Anderson discuss Predictably Irrational and market research
- KDnuggets 10:n08: Global Warming? No iPad; Text Analytics - Apr 21, 2010.
latest data mining news and analytics news, including Features (9) | Courses (1) | Software (5) | Jobs (4) | Academic (1) | Meetings (3) | Publications (3) | News Briefs (19) | CFP (7)
- Big data analytics: From data scientists to business analysts - Apr 20, 2010.
The Datameer Analytics Solution (DAS) assumes data sits in Hadoop, and from there a business analyst can rapidly load, transform, analyze, and visualize data
- Itís Very Early in the Game for SAS Social Media Analytics - Apr 19, 2010.
The flash and splash of last week's SAS Social Media Analytics (SMA) launch belies the apparent very early, incomplete state of the service
- 20% Discount on Data Mining, ML Books from Chapman & Hall/CRC - Apr 13, 2010.
including Handbook of Natural Language Processing, Edited by Nitin Indurkhya and Fred J. Damerau; Temporal Data Mining, by Theophano Mitsa; Patterns of Data Modeling, by Michael Blaha
- Google large scale machine learning system - Apr 12, 2010.
If data is abundant then often a more fruitful approach is to design a highly scalable learning system and use several orders of magnitude more training data
- New Book: Data Mining Techniques in CRM - Apr 9, 2010.
A complete and comprehensive handbook for the application of data mining techniques in marketing and customer relationship management, combining a technical and a business perspective.
- Data Mining the University - Apr 6, 2010.
I began to wonder how students could have trouble with these basic concepts ("Didn't you have to know that for the SAT?"), yet have high GPAs in their major ... we realized the data was actually available to investigate these questions further.
- Forbes: Obama's Data Visionary - Apr 5, 2010.
Edward Tufte, the guru of data visualization, recently joined the Obama administration Recovery Advisory Panel to help clearly visualize the spending and effects of the $787 billion in recovery stimulus funds. Forbes talked with Tufte about his Sisyphean government project, how companies can apply his lessons to making sense of their ever-swelling stores of data, and his excitement about the iPad.
- Forbes: Data-Driven Companies, a Special Report - Apr 5, 2010.
A look at the data-driven companies and their technologies, including Why Predictive Analytics Is A Game-Changer; Obama's Data Visionary; Who Is In Charge Of Your Data and more
- Two-by-Two Classification and Decile Tables - A Comparison - Apr 5, 2010.
I outline how to construct both tables, and pose questions to raise awareness that each approach has its own weakness
- Health Law Demands Patient-Centered Outcomes Research - Apr 5, 2010.
The Law creates a $500 million Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute to study of which drugs, devices and medical procedures work best.