- "What BI Is Not" Forrester TweetJam Recap And Takeaways - May 31, 2010.
Forrester analysts Boris Evelson, Jim Kobielus, Gene Leganza, Holger Kisker, Noel Yuhanna, and Rob Karel hosted a data management TweetJam on the topic "What BI is Not!" using the hashtag #dmjam.
- New Book: Association Rule Hiding for Data Mining - May 28, 2010.
Association rule hiding is a new technique on data mining, which studies the problem of hiding sensitive association rules from within the data.
- KDnuggets 10:n12: Google Prediction API; PMML book; Analytics Certificates - May 27, 2010.
Latest data mining & analytic news, including Features (6) | Courses (2) | Software (1) | Jobs (8) | Academic (2) | Meetings (1) | Publications (7) | NewsBriefs (6) | CFP (1) | Quote
- The Missing Statistic in the Decile Table: The Confidence Interval - May 26, 2010.
The confidence interval that furnishes the precision of the model is considered necessary to complete the decile-table model assessment.
- Google Prediction API for Finding a Musical Profile - May 25, 2010.
Grooveshark works on several Analysis and Prediction tasks, such as Music recommendations (both long tail and popular music), People recommendations, and Artist analytics.
- New book: PMML in Action - May 24, 2010.
This book is a great way to learn how to represent your predictive models and data transformations with PMML, a mature open standard for predictive analytics modeling.
- Avinash on Web Analytics Segmentation: Do or Die - May 24, 2010.
My love for segmentation as the primary (only?) way of identify actionable insights is on display in pretty much every single blog post I write. I have said: All data in aggregate is "crap".
- Can Social Networks Be Generated Automatically? - May 23, 2010.
To get an accurate picture of a social network, one needs to better define when two people are connected - are they friends if they've exchanged e-mails once? Or 10 times?
- Papers on Mapreduce & Hadoop in Data Mining / Machine Learning - May 22, 2010.
Selected academic / research papers using Mapreduce & Hadoop; Most popular: 1) MapReduce-Based Pattern Finding Algorithm Applied in Motif Detection for Prescription Compatibility Network; 2) Data-intensive text processing with Mapreduce
- SDM 2010 Proceedings available online - May 22, 2010.
SDM 2010 continues a series of conferences focusing on the theory and practice of data mining as applied to data sets in science, engineering, biomedicine, and the social sciences,
- Eli Goldratt on Thinking Analytically - May 21, 2010.
Tom H. C. Anderson and Management Guru Eli Goldratt discuss Cause and Effect Analysis
- KDnuggets 10:n11: RapidMiner, OS Tools Gain; Largest DB Analyzed? - May 19, 2010.
Latest data mining & analytic news, including Features (6) | Courses (1) | Software (4) | Jobs (8) | Academic (2) | Publications (9) | News Briefs (9) | CFP (7)
- Trust your gut? Or Data? - May 18, 2010.
Here are a couple of very interesting articles that highlight making decisions using your "gut" vs relying on data.
- Mining and Analyzing Online Social Graph Data - May 17, 2010.
an interesting talk by Drew Conway, PhD student at New York University, Dept. of Politics, an expert on social networks)
- What about Analytics in Social Media monitoring? - May 16, 2010.
Listening posts monitor the "chatter" that is occurring on the Internet in blogs, message boards, tweets, etc
- Data Mining Data.Gov: Statistics from FEC Candidate Summary Files - May 13, 2010.
Since Primary Election season is ramping up in the US we'll demonstrate Solr's Stats functionality using some data from from Data.Gov
- Data Inc. profiles data-driven companies - May 12, 2010.
The hit forecaster uPlaya analyzes songs against an ever evolving databank of past and present musical hits to estimate a song's potential for commercial success.
- The Importance of Straight Data - May 11, 2010.
I illustrate the topic sentence by giving details of what to do when an observed relationship between two variables depicted in a scatterplot is masking an acute underlying relationship
- Microsoft Attempts to Predict the Future - May 11, 2010.
One experimental program, called Predestination, collects and processes data about urban traffic patterns, the behavior of drivers, etc and recommends best route to where you are likely to go
- An Interview with Revolution Analytics CEO Norman Nie - Part 2 - May 10, 2010.
even with 2M users of R, the challenges for commercial R purveyor Revolution Analytics (formerly REvolution Computing) are significant.
- Why F# is the language for data mining - May 7, 2010.
F# is Succinct, static typing at the same time.
- New book: "Bursts" - Can human behavior be predicted? - May 5, 2010.
An interesting experiment is associated with the launch of the book: the whole text is available on the book site, just as it will appear in print. But each word is covered by a rectangle.
- KDnuggets 10:n10: DM Tools Poll; Climate Change Causes? - May 5, 2010.
Latest data mining & analytic news, including Features (4) | Webcasts (1) | Software (1) | Jobs (5) | Meetings (1) | Publications (7) | NewsBriefs (8) | CFP (6)
- Stanford course on Statistical Aspects of Data Mining - May 4, 2010.
Video of a Stanford course taught by Dr. Rajan Patel
- KDD 2010 accepted papers - May 3, 2010.
Reseach and Industry accepted papers were announced
- Datasets and Data-driven Startups - May 3, 2010.
What follows is our list of data sets that you might have a chance at building a business around
- Altimeter Report: Social Marketing Analytics - May 1, 2010.
Many companies are stumbling blindly into social media marketing, largely without measurement in place. This report evaluates numerous vendors with respect to business objectives and KPIs.