The previous KDnuggets Poll asked:
Which analytics / data mining meetings you attended in 2010?
The top 5 most attended conferences in 2010 were
- SAS M2010, Oct, Las Vegas, 15.6% share
- KDD, Jul, Wash. DC, 14.6%
- IEEE ICDM, Dec, Sydney, 10.2%
- PAW, Feb, San Francisco, 9.3%
- PAW, Oct, Wash. DC, 8.8%
- KDD-2009, Jun 09, Paris, 15.9%
- PAW, Oct 09, Wash. DC, 10.3%
- IEEE ICDM, Dec 09, Miami, 9.3%
- ECML/PKDD, Sep 09, Bled, 7.5%
- SAS M2009, Oct 09, Las Vegas, 6.5%
Among KDnuggets readers in 2010, SAS M2010 captured the top spot, pushing KDD-2010 to the second place. Among people who attended SAS M2010, the average number of conferences was 1.5 with PAW-SF, PAW-DC being the 2nd and 3rd most popular conferences.
Among people who attended KDD-2010, the average number of conferences attended was 2.2, with IEEE ICDM and ECML PKDD being 2nd and 3rd most popular conferences.
This confirms a split between researchers who go to research conferences and practitioners who go to applications or vendor conferences.
Although a few people have reported difficulty of getting funding to go to a conference, the percent of people who voted "None" (no conference), about 26%, did not change significantly from 2009 (24%), and was much lower than 39% in KDnuggets 2008 conference attended poll .
Among conferences with significant votes in both years, the biggest gains were for
- SAS M2010, Las Vegas, 140% increase (from 6.5% share to 15.6% share)
- PAW, Feb, San Francisco, 66% increase (from 5.6% to 9.3%)
Among new conferences in 2010 Poll, we noted significant attendance for
- Text Analytics, May, Boston (4%)
- PAW, Nov, London (4%)
- INFORMS-2010, Nov, Austin (3%)
Here are full results for KDnuggets Poll: Which analytics / data mining meetings you attended in 2010?.
and KDnuggets comprehensive list of 2010 Analytics/Data Mining Meetings.