- KDnuggets 11:n08, R share of work and GUI; Past, Future Contests; KDD-11 workshops - Mar 30, 2011.
Latest news on data mining & analytics, including Features (6) | Courses (2) | Webcasts (1) | Software (7) | Jobs (10) | Academic (2) | Meetings (4) | AudioVideo (7) | Publications (6) | NewsBriefs (8) | CFP (22)
- The new book by Roberto Battiti and Mauro Brunato is now available: - Mar 29, 2011.
Reactive Business Intelligence is about integrating data mining, modeling and interactive visualization, into an end-to-end discovery and continuous innovation process powered by human and automated learning. Special discount to KDnuggets readers.
- The Popularity of Data Analysis Software: R vs SAS vs SPSS - Mar 28, 2011.
A comparison of popularity of R, SAS, SPSS and other data analysis software packages, as measured by discussions, citations, jobs, and more.
- New Book: Social Network Data Analytics - Mar 28, 2011.
spans a wide range of topics in social network data mining, and focuses on the data analytical aspects of social networks in the internet scenario, rather than the traditional sociology-driven emphasis.
- The evolving market for NoSQL Databases - Mar 28, 2011.
the interview focused on the evolution of the NoSQL database market, the development of new Proprietary data platforms such as Amazon's Dynamo and Google's BigTable, and open source developments, such as Cassandra and Hadoop.
- Why Experts Get the Future Wrong - Mar 27, 2011.
A review of over 27,000 forecasts showed that the experts were worse than statistical models. In fact they could barely eke out a tie with the proverbial dart-throwing chimps.
- Review of Data mining tools - Mar 19, 2011.
Reviews historical and current data mining and related tools, and proposes criteria for the tool categorization based on different user groups, data structures, data mining tasks and methods, visualization and interaction styles, import and export options for data and models, platforms, and license policies.
- KDnuggets 11:n07, R role in your work; R in the cloud; Competition updates - Mar 16, 2011.
Latest news on data mining & analytics, including Features (6) | Software (6) | Jobs (8) | Meetings (3) | AudioVideo (3) | Publications (13) | NewsBriefs (13) | CFP (8)
- Statistics can help avoid counterfeit goods on eBay - Mar 15, 2011.
over 80% of the small sculptures and drawings indicated by eBay sellers as by Henry Moore were in fact not genuine, while over 90% of the signed prints were genuine.
- Time Magazine on Data Mining of Personal Information - Mar 14, 2011.
Each of these pieces of information (and misinformation) about me is sold for about two-fifths of a cent to advertisers, which then deliver me an Internet ad, send me a catalog or mail me a credit-card offer.
- Link Prediction by De-anonymization: Winning Social Network Challenge - Mar 12, 2011.
de-anonymization can be used to game machine-learning contests-by simply "looking up" the attributes of de-anonymized users instead of predicting them.
- A Million Random Digits: Reviews - Mar 12, 2011.
from one review: Such a terrific reference work! But with so many terrific random digits, it's a shame they didn't sort them, to make it easier to find the one you're looking for.
- March/April issue of INFORMS Analytics - Mar 11, 2011.
In this issue you'll enjoy reading the "how-to" stories and "what-not-to-do" stories that Analytics is known for.
- Expert Panel: What's Around the Bend for Big Data? - Mar 11, 2011.
Current trends and prediction from leaders in big data innovations, including Yahoo!, Microsoft, IBM, Facebook Hadoop engineering group, and Revolution Analytics.
- New Book: Ensemble Methods in Data Mining - Mar 11, 2011.
They combine multiple models into one usually more accurate than the best of its components and can provide a critical boost to industrial challenges.
- Big Data mining: Who owns your social network data? - Mar 9, 2011.
An attractive application of Hadoop and other Big Data technologies is to analyze users' social activities, sometimes without their express knowledge
- Rise of the machines: Coaches vs Data Analysts? - Mar 8, 2011.
Tarek Kamil predicts that technologists will one day be just as important to a basketball team's on-court success as coaches are; they will be determining in-game strategy and making sideline calls themselves.
- MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference - Mar 7, 2011.
in "Gut vs Data in NBA Decision Making" Panel, R.C Buford said that he shies away from gut decisions because it makes it harder to take a step back and analyze those decisions after the fact. If you get the decision wrong, you don't know why, but maybe more importantly, if you get it correct, you don't know how to duplicate it.
- Armies of Expensive Lawyers, Replaced by Cheaper Software - Mar 5, 2011.
e-discovery software can analyze documents in a fraction of the time for a fraction of the cost. Programs can extract relevant concepts even in the absence of specific terms, and deduce patterns of behavior that would have eluded lawyers examining millions of documents.
- Experience of working on the Prodigy Challenge - Mar 4, 2011.
Konstantinos Vougas was at the top of the leader-board for the InnoCentive's first Prodigy Challenge, The Predictive Data Analysis Challenge. The Prodigy is a Solution Test Tool that provides rapid feedback to Solvers and displays the performance of the top ten performing Solvers.
- 4th Annual Data Miner Survey Summary Report - now available - Mar 3, 2011.
Highlights of the 4th Annual Survey results, links to past years' results, and more information are available free upon request.
- KDnuggets 11:n06, KDD Cup; DM Salaries Up; Sell Personal Data? PAW, Data 2.0, Text meetings - Mar 2, 2011.
Latest news on data mining & analytics, including Features (9) | Courses (2) | Webcasts (1) | Software (5) | Jobs (13) | Academic (4) | Meetings (2) | Publications (8) | NewsBriefs (7) | CFP (9)
- Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery - Mar 1, 2011.
features a unique hybrid publishing model that's as comprehensive as a major reference, as current as a journal, and much more. First issue online - free access