Features (8) |
Courses (3) |
Webcasts (1) |
Software (8) |
Jobs (10) |
Academic (2) |
Meetings (1) |
AudioVideo (3) |
Publications (5) |
NewsBriefs (5) |
CFP (6) |
- Please like KDnuggets facebook page - Apr 26, 2011.
Check out http://facebook.com/kdnuggets - you can now get news, jobs, software, courses, and other data mining and analytics items via KDnuggets facebook page
- New KDnuggets Poll: Largest DB you analyzed? - Apr 26, 2011.
In 2010, the median DB analyzed was 8-10 GB. Please vote on www.kdnuggets.com and find out how much bigger our datasets have become.
- Poll Results: In how many competitions did you participate? - Apr 26, 2011.
70% had zero competitions, but 13% had 3 or more. Regionally, AU/NZ and Asian data miners participated in the most competitions, and India and Canada lead among countries.
- Call-For-Speakers: PAW London, proposal due May 12 - Apr 25, 2011.
Speakers proposals due May 12 for PAW London. It's an exciting time for Predictive Analytics World and predictive analytics in general, as reflected by a steadfast increase in both attendance and speaker proposals at each conference.
- Yahoo 4Cast - predict anything - Apr 22, 2011.
Yahoo! 4Cast lets you predict anything, but can it predict its own future?
- 250 years of Bayes Theorem - Apr 22, 2011.
The Reverend Thomas Bayes died 250 years ago, but his theorem remains central to predictive analytics applications from spam detection to medical alerts.
- Most viewed items for Apr 17-23 - Apr 24, 2011.
A third of Kaggle competitors use R; ECML/PKDD Discovery Challenge 2011: VideoLectures.Net recommender system;
Top jobs: Computational Biologist - Machine Learning Applications - Analytics - R&D at Dow AgroSciences; Quantitative Researcher at WeatherBill;
- Most viewed items for Apr 10-16 - Apr 17, 2011.
Poll Results: most popular R GUIs; Amazon EC2 configuration for scientific computing in Python and R;
Top jobs: Big Data Engineer at Quantifind, Palo Alto, CA; Digital Analytics Manager at NPR, Boston, MA;
- Get results with SAS(r) data mining courses - Apr 26, 2011.
Scheduled publicly in training centers throughout the country, the SAS Business Knowledge Series hosts a variety of courses appropriate for all levels of data miners. Learn advanced processes and state-of-the-art techniques from leading industry experts and get more from your data.
- Learn What Really Works in Data Mining, June 13 - 17, New York City - Apr 19, 2011.
Leverage highly valuable and impactful prospective insight from within your existing data through an intensive course series with over 20 years of innovation.
- Stanford Courses and Certificates Online: Data Mining and more - Apr 20, 2011.
Earn a graduate certificate in Data Mining online from Stanford and take your career to the next level. Stanford online graduate courses give you the statistical tools you need to extract meaning from large datasets, develop predictive models, and understand strategic decision-making applications.
- Free tools for data cleaning, visualization and analysis - Apr 26, 2011.
Useful free tools for data cleaning, visualization, mapping, and analysis. These tools are more reporting oriented, but are also useful for analysts.
- A third of Kaggle competitors use R - Apr 21, 2011.
a third of all Kaggle competitors report using R, but 50% of competition winners used R. Revolution Analytics announced that the big-data capabilities of Revolution R Enterprise available for use in Kaggle competitions, free of charge.
- Please Participate in the 5th Annual Data Miner Survey - Apr 14, 2011.
Rexer Analytics is conducting our 5th annual survey of the analytic behaviors, views and preferences of data mining professionals. All analytic professionals are invited to participate.
- ECML/PKDD Discovery Challenge 2011: VideoLectures.Net recommender system - Apr 18, 2011.
The challenge first task simulates new-user and new-item recommendation (cold-start mode); the second task simulates (normal mode) clickstream based recommendation. The side contest is for for the best computational workflow, to be chosen by an expert panel.
- Medical NLP challenge: co-reference resolution and sentiment classification - Apr 18, 2011.
i2b2 and the VA, and Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center will hold a competition with two tracks, an objective and subjective analysis.
- Forecasting World Events Competition - Apr 18, 2011.
looking for people interested in global security and politics, business and economics, public health, science and technology, to participate in a unique research study sponsored by the Intelligence Advanced Research Projects Activity (IARPA).
- The 12th DATA-MINING-CUP is launched with two tasks - Apr 15, 2011.
In addition to the classic data mining exercise, the second task covers a real-time data mining problem that can be solved by developing an adaptive algorithm.
- Starting with R on Heritage Health Prize - Apr 14, 2011.
This blog posts looks at $3M Heritage Health Prize competition and how to get started using the R platform.
- Business Analyst, Amazon.com Forecasting Team at Amazon.com, Seattle, WA - Apr 24, 2011.
we develop sophisticated algorithms based on the latest statistics tools and data mining methodologies. You can help us to discover problems, solve problems, and build metrics to impact the core business of Amazon.
- Knowledge analyst at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney, Purchase, NY - Apr 21, 2011.
looking for a knowledge professional with 10+ years in the R programming language and experience building and/or re-articulating parallel algorithms. Map/reduce experience is a plus.
- Predictive Modeler-000D78 at Allstate, Northbrook, IL - Apr 20, 2011.
work with a team of highly skilled and expert predictive modelers at one of the leading property and casualty insurance companies
- Senior Director of Research and Analytics at Walmart Sam's Club, Bentonville, AK - Apr 19, 2011.
responsible to ensure Sam's Club has best-in-class analytics, measurement, and data strategies to inform enterprise-wide business initiative focused on enhancing the overall member experience.
- Quantitative Researcher at WeatherBill, San Francisco, CA - Apr 18, 2011.
We leverage big data and cloud computing to tackle real-world problems in climatology, machine learning, and risk management. Our extraordinary mission is to build a detailed statistical model of all possible weather events everywhere on Earth, so that every weather risk can be comprehensively managed using WeatherBill insurance products.
- Computational Biologist - Machine Learning Applications - Analytics - R&D at Dow AgroSciences, Indianapolis, IN - Apr 18, 2011.
development and application of computational biology, mathematical, and statistical algorithms and software to mine biological datasets. Inferring accurate biological networks from large datasets, image analyses, remote sensing, chemometrics, feature selection, probabilistic modeling and graph theory.
- Computational Biologist - Proteomics Data Analyst - Analytics - R&D at Dow AgroSciences, Indianapolis, IN - Apr 18, 2011.
assist in the design of experiments, integration and analyses of biological datasets, including development and application of algorithms to analyze data from various mass-spectrometry experiments.
- Biostatistician - Analytics - R&D at Dow AgroSciences, Indianapolis, Indiana - Apr 18, 2011.
assist in the design of experiments, development of analytical platforms and analyses of biological datasets.
- Predictive Modeler at Allstate Insurance (Research and Planning Center), Menlo Park, CA - Apr 14, 2011.
We offer the perfect combination of basic research projects and real business problems, as well as the time, tools and environment to effectively tackle both. We use a variety of modeling tools and algorithms to build sophisticated customer pricing models and gain insight into the causes of insurance claims.
- Data Analytics Architect at Ethoca, Toronto, Canada or telecommute - Apr 14, 2011.
a seasoned data analytics and fraud detection visionary who can both drive our research and development and support the business team with data insights and solutions.
- Postdoctoral researchers at Helsinki Institute for Information Technology HIIT, Aalto University and University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland - Apr 19, 2011.
large-scale computational and probabilistic modelling, with applications in Text analysis and recommendations, context-awareness and user modeling, or Biological data integration, modelling, and bioinformatics.
- Research Assistant Professor for the Environmental Change Initiative at U. of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN - Apr 16, 2011.
This project examines the role of the global shipping network in the transfer of nonnative species, and its interaction with policies and trade patterns, including the effect of climate change. The goal is to develop models and understanding to limit future introductions of invasive species while enhancing global trade and economic development.
- Gartner: BI, Analytics Software Spending Jumps 13.4% - Apr 25, 2011.
Global spending on BI, analytics and performance management applications jumped 13.4 percent in 2010 to US$10.5 billion, according to Gardner.
- New Book: Evaluating Learning Algorithms - Apr 25, 2011.
examines various aspects of the evaluation process with an emphasis on classification algorithms; techniques for classifier performance assessment, error estimation and resampling, obtaining statistical significance as well as selecting appropriate domains for evaluation.
- Why is Apple Tracking You? - Apr 22, 2011.
Apple needs your data to build its own location database for use with geo-location apps and for diagnostics (where dropped calls happen etc).
- Hadoop for Business: Interview with Mike Olson, Cloudera CEO - Apr 21, 2011.
hese days, data comes from machines talking to machines. Hadoop knows how to capture and store that data cheaply and reliably, even if you get to petabytes
- US Senators Propose Data Privacy Law - Apr 16, 2011.
Bill would require data collectors to let individual to opt-out of any information collection that is unauthorized by the Act and provide affirmative consent (opt-in) for the collection of sensitive personally identifiable information. Intel, Microsoft, and eBay support the proposed legislation.
- Supreme Court Case on Rx Data Mining Requires Nuanced Understanding of Privacy - Apr 26, 2011.
U.S. Supreme Court hears arguments in a case that may have significant implications for privacy and data mining of patient records. The case challenges Vermont statute that prohibits the use of drug prescribing information for the purpose of marketing drugs to physicians and other prescribers, without the consent of the prescriber.
- Business Intelligence vs. Big Data - Apr 19, 2011.
how simple drag-and-drop operations of a business user within a desktop tool turn into complex database operations that would choke any relational database (joining, grouping, aggregating), yet are handled by a columnar database without any difficulty.
- Senate security will use Internet data mining to identify lawmaker threats - Apr 15, 2011.
US Senate will conduct data mining of the Internet to identify potential threats against lawmakers, as well as offer Secret Service-led security training sessions for congressional staff.
- Jive buys Proximal Labs for analytics - Apr 14, 2011.
Proximal Labs will help accelerate Jive efforts to use the power of 'big data' to unlock the value of the social graph in the enterprise.
- NM Incite and Clarabridge Alliance Combines Social Media, Text Analytics - Apr 13, 2011.
NM Incite Social Media Data Will Now Flow Seamlessly into Clarabridge's Sentiment and Text Analytics Platform To Offer Companies Actionable Insights from Voice of the Consumer Data
CFP - Calls for Papers (see also All CFP)
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. - Voltaire