Features (6) |
Courses, Events (3) |
Webcasts (1) |
Software (4) |
Jobs (9) |
Academic (4) |
Meetings (6) |
Publications (5) |
NewsBriefs (7) |
CFP (9) |
- Poll Results: How different is "Data Science" from "Statistics"? - Sep 27, 2011.
The vote average was 46% difference, about halfway between between "Mostly" and "Partly" different. Interestingly, there were significant disparities by region.
- Predictive Analytics World October 2011 in New York - Sep 27, 2011.
Reasons to attend Predictive Analytics World - view sample sessions; 9 Predictive & Text Analytics Workshops and more.
- SAS Analytics 2011 Conference, Oct 24-25, Orlando - Sep 23, 2011.
get 30% KDnuggets discount on SAS Analytics 2011 Conference. Join hundreds of attendees and learn from experts about data mining, forecasting, fraud detection, text mining, data visualization, predictive modeling and more.
- Save Statistical Abstract of the United States - Sep 17, 2011.
published by US Census Bureau, its funding in danger of being cut, although it is the authoritative and comprehensive summary of statistics on the social, political, and economic organization of the US. You can support its continuing existence - see how.
- Top news for Sep 18-24 - Sep 25, 2011.
New Book: Data Mining with Rattle and R; Academic Prices for DM Software;
Top jobs: Data Scientist at Intuit; Data Mining Analyst at Waterfront International
- Top news for Sep 11-17 - Sep 18, 2011.
New Poll: Data Science vs Statistics? What do you call analyzing data?
Top jobs: Researcher - Recommender Systems, Predictive Analytics at Ericsson NM Lab, Ireland; Business Leader, Fraud Investigation at MasterCard, Purchase, NY or St. Louis, MO;
- Learn What Really Works in Data Mining: Nov in Dallas | Dec in Los Angeles - Sep 27, 2011.
insist on 1000% ROI from your data mining initiatives! Learn how to get it from TMA Predictive Analytics and Data Mining course series.
- Advanced Training - Business Analytics/ Data Fusion, Paris, Oct 17-20 - Sep 19, 2011.
two unique training courses in Paris in partnership with world-renowned expert Dr Subrata Das, organized by Probayes, a leading company in predictive analytics and data fusion.
- Dec 8-9: Salford Predictive Modeler Two-Day Training - Sep 16, 2011.
Salford Predictive Modeler suite includes CART®, MARS®, TreeNet®, RandomForests® and introduces powerful new automation and modeling techniques not found elsewhere.
- Hilary Mason Wants To Get You Started With Big Data - Sep 26, 2011.
First, set up a proper env: Linux, Python and other tools you can find on her Github page.
- Award Winning Data Mining Software At Academic Prices - Sep 20, 2011.
up to 95% discount for students and professors on CART, MARS, TreeNet and RandomForests, and Salford Predictive Modeler (SPM) suite for a one-year license for a single user.
- SAS Veteran joins KNIME Board of Directors - Sep 19, 2011.
Phil Winters, Strategic Advisor to Peppers and Rogers Group, was elected to KNIME's board of directors. Previously, Phil spent 25 years in senior positions at SAS®.
- MIT researchers create new Urban Network Analysis toolbox - Sep 14, 2011.
lets urban designers describe the spatial patterns of cities using mathematical network analysis methods.
- Research Scientist - HCI with emphasis on Geospatial at IBM Research, Dublin, Ireland - Sep 27, 2011.
researchers in human computer interaction for geospatial analysis, spatio-temporal statistical modeling, geocomputation, and associated visualisation.
- Research Scientist - Machine Learning / Data Mining / Learning Systems at IBM Research, Dublin, Ireland - Sep 27, 2011.
identifying applications of data-intensive machine learning, invention of effective algorithms for these applications, and incorporation of these algorithms in distributed and parallel software systems. Especially interested in candidates with strong background and experience in urban or environmental systems.
- Data Mining Specialist at Statistics Solutions, Palm Harbor, FL - Sep 26, 2011.
we are self-motivated and enthusiastic about growing the company collectively. We are looking for someone who will thrive in this environment and embrace the opportunity to bring new skill sets
- Director, Digital Analytics at Deluxe Corporation, telecommute from US/Canada - Sep 23, 2011.
develop and deliver overall strategy of how to leverage web analytics, UER and optimization to drive business results.
- Statistical Modeling and Optimization at ExxonMobil, Clinton, NJ - Sep 22, 2011.
develop pattern recognition, ML and signal processing algorithms to solve challenging problems in the areas of large scale data mining, multivariate spatio-temporal data analysis, and modeling and optimization of uncertain systems.
- Data Mining Analyst at Waterfront International, Toronto, Canada - Sep 21, 2011.
WIL is a financial consulting firm, specializing in developing computer based statistical trading strategies.
- Engineer at RocketFuel, Redwood Shores, CA - Sep 20, 2011.
build ad-serving, bidding, modeling and data infrastructure built using a mix of proprietary and open-source technologies.
- Data Scientist at Intuit, Mountain View, CA - Sep 19, 2011.
join a rapidly growing team that is applying big data and advanced analytics to help Intuit create compelling new products.
- Researcher - Recommender Systems, Predictive Analytics at Ericsson NM Lab, Ireland - Sep 14, 2011.
investigating the generation of insights from processing massive amounts of data in Network Management using different approaches including Rule or Policy based Systems, Applied Data Mining, Machine Learning and Complex Event Processing.
- Data-Intensive Computing Faculty Position at Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA - Sep 22, 2011.
research areas include streaming and sensor data management, scientific databases, networked data management, query languages, workflow/provenance modeling, information integration, and database designs for modern architectures.
- Faculty Position All Levels (Tenure Track) at U. of Iowa, Iowa City, IA - Sep 20, 2011.
database, machine learning, data and text mining, web search and knowledge management are some of areas of interest for faculty.
- Ph.D. in Machine Learning (several) at U. of Nottingham Ningbo, Ningbo, China - Sep 26, 2011.
some fully funded, some partly funded; Candidates can propose their own research agenda or pick one based on John Woodward research in Genetic programming.
- Ph.D. candidate at U. Luxembourg, Luxembourg - Sep 21, 2011.
research on fraudulent financial transaction patterns, using adaptive reasoning in the design of an automatic detection system.
- IEEE Int. Conf. on Data Mining (ICDM 2011), Vancouver, Dec 11-14 - Sep 27, 2011.
Early reg deadline: Nov 10. IEEE ICDM is one of the world's premier research conferences in data mining. Highlights include invited talks by Cynthia Dwork, Lee Giles, and Renee Miller; 4 tutorials, the ICDM contest, 19 workshops, and 101 regular and 47 short papers accepted out of 786 submissions from 47 countries.
- Call-for-Speakers for 3 PAWs and 1 TAW - 2012 in SF/Chicago/Toronto - Sep 26, 2011.
accepting proposals to speak at PAW/TAW SF (Mar 2012) and PAW Toronto (Apr) - deadlines Oct 13, and PAW Chicago (Jun) - deadline Jan 19.
- Data Scientist Summit 2011 Videos - Sep 26, 2011.
The 12 videos cover Big Data, Analytics, Data Heroics, and more.
- Data Without Borders Datadive, Oct 14-16, NYC - Sep 23, 2011.
matches non-profits with volunteer data scientists who can help them with data collection, analysis, visualization, or decision support.
- Analytics Conferences Gone Wild? - Sep 21, 2011.
Are there too many analytics conferences? Over time, a few winners will emerge and many will disappear.
- Summer Program Aug 6-17, 2012: Computational Advertising - Sep 16, 2011.
This 2-week program will cover web search; agent-based models for auction dynamics; computational finance and other math issues, and statistical issues including modeling and forecasting of trends; recommender systems; and modeling revenue streams.
- Six Provocations for Big Data - Sep 25, 2011.
Do numbers speak for themselves? We believe the answer is NO. Sweeping dismissal of all other theories and disciplines reveals an arrogant undercurrent in many Big Data debates where all other forms of analysis can be sidelined.
- New Book: Data Mining with Rattle and R - Sep 20, 2011.
With a focus on the hands-on end-to-end data mining process, the book guides the reader using open source Rattle software built on R platform.
- New Book: Feature Selection and Ensemble Methods for Bioinformatics - Sep 19, 2011.
machine learning applications for gene expression based cancer classification (many features but few data instances), including feature/gene selection, classifier ensembles, and classification performance evaluation for small-sample size problems.
- Building data science teams - Sep 16, 2011.
DJ Patil on Data science teams and the origin of "data scientist" term.
- Global Warming Prediction Project: What Drives Global Warming? - Sep 15, 2011.
a nonlinear dynamic interdependent system model of 6 variables that describes and predicts global warming till October 2017; entirely learned from observational data.
- FICO 8 New Patents in Credit Scoring, Fraud Detection and Predictive Analytics - Sep 27, 2011.
FICO received 13 patents since the start of 2011 and holds 112 patents total. The company recently filed three more patent applications, and has another 106 patent applications pending in the United States and other countries.
- Centrifuge Systems Releases Visual Network Analytics Version 2.5 - Sep 26, 2011.
Powerful Relationship Mapping Discovers Fraud in Financial Services, Pharmaceutical and Retail Industries
- Organic and Wharton Analyze Ad Effectiveness - Sep 20, 2011.
Research finds new models for measuring how individual ad creatives and timing impact individual viewers.
- Twitter Web Analytics - Sep 18, 2011.
a publisher analytics platform to analyze usage of Tweet button and the t.co wrap. Currently being tested by partners, the platform will be rolled to public soon.
- Goodreads Will Recommend Your Next Book - Sep 17, 2011.
a social network that lets readers rate and review books, has launched a recommendation engine for books.
- Opera Solutions Secures $84 Million In Growth Capital - Sep 15, 2011.
The equity financing is one of the largest ever for a private company in the Big Data predictive analytics space, and will be used to accelerate growth and cement Opera position as a leader in the sector.
- Splunk Makes Machine-Generated Big Data Serve Analytics - Sep 14, 2011.
works with machine-generated data (logs) , which originates constantly from many sources throughout an organization and in large quantities. Splunk focuses on performing simple analyses on this data in real time rather than batch-based advanced analytics.
CFP - Calls for Papers
The US statistical abstract was the most important source of data and statistics for 133 years. Save it from a misguided budget cut - see Save the US Statistical Abstract! FB group