- Why eBay is buying recommendation engine Hunch - Nov 29, 2011.
will use Hunch taste graph technology to provide its users with non-obvious recommendations for items based on their unique tastes.
- GE to Open New Software HQ, Eyes Big Data Developments - Nov 28, 2011.
$1 billion data management software effort that includes a new global software headquarters and centralized developments on big data, customer experience and predictive analytics.
- EMC Sitting In Sweet Spot Of $70 Billion Big Data Industry - Nov 26, 2011.
Big Data is a $70 billion industry and growing at a rapid rate of 15% to 20% a year.
- Seminole Hard Rock campaign productivity soars with SAS® Analytics - Nov 25, 2011.
SAS predictive analytics identify behavior-based patterns, improve marketing; Analysis using SAS EM revealed machine clusters based on customer play behavior.
- Stylitics: Mining Data from Fashion - Nov 25, 2011.
a start-up that combines fashion with analytics, hopes that you will trust a computer to design your wardrobe
- US Federal agencies use data poorly - Nov 25, 2011.
Government information managers find importance in analytics for efficiencies, but data quality challenges persist, according to Deloitte report
- Microsoft drops Dryad; bets on Hadoop - Nov 18, 2011.
Microsoft is dropping its Dryad big-data processing work and focusing, instead, on developing a Windows Azure and Windows Server implementation of Hadoop.
- Tech Blogger Starts People Data Mining Company - Nov 17, 2011.
Kirkpatrick had developed over his years at ReadWriteWeb and TechCrunch tools for getting scoops not by talking to sources but by tracking people online.
- Statistical Learning Part III: Steve Miller interviews Trevor Hastie - Nov 17, 2011.
Steve Miller reviews The Elements of Statistical Learning by Trevor Hastie, Robert Tibshirani and Jerome Friedman and interviews one of the authors.
- Big Data Just Got Smaller: A New Approach to Finding Information - Nov 16, 2011.
A breakthrough method to graphically represent knowledge enables software developers to easily build intelligent agents such as Apple's Siri and IBM Watson.
- Game Analytics Provider Kontagent Snaps Up $12 Million - Nov 14, 2011.
a provider of analytics software that tracks user behavior for social app companies, raised $12M is second round.
- ID3 (idcubed.org) Research in data mining, privacy, security - Nov 13, 2011.
a three-year gift to support ID3 (idcubed.org), MIT/Harvard institute, to do research and development in the areas of data mining, privacy and security for personal data.
- The Supreme Court, big data and 1984 - Nov 13, 2011.
The case, about whether police needed a search warrant to track a car with GPS for 28 days, can have broad implications for privacy
- Accel Partners announces $100M Big Data Fund - Nov 10, 2011.
new fund will be invested in companies building out the new infrastructure and companies building applications on top of that infrastructure (spanning BI, collaboration, mobile and vertical apps).
- Starview Enterprise Platform for real-time business analytics and optimization - Nov 9, 2011.
enables companies to sift, monitor and analyze data and, then, identify the 'best next action' for faster, better-informed decisions.
- FICO Model Central ensures compliance and improves performance - Nov 9, 2011.
FICO Model Central Solution helps banks, insurance companies, retail and health care companies to maximize the power of their predictive models and meet stricter regulations for model management.
- Alpine Miner for Oracle - Nov 4, 2011.
Alpine Miner Version 2.0 for Oracle is available for Oracle 11g and Oracle Exadata Database Machine, and includes support for all data analytics operations, and more.
- IDC names 2011 Innovative Business Analytics Companies Under $100M to Watch - Nov 4, 2011.
New IDC report highlights 6 companies which exemplify one or more key trends: Collaborative Decision Management, Cloud-based Analytics, Mobile Analytics.
- Sybase Big Data Analytics With Native MapReduce and Hadoop Integration - Nov 1, 2011.
expands support for in-database analytics, including a native MapReduce API, PMML support, integration with Hadoop, and an expanded library of statistical and data mining algorithms that leverage MPP technology