- New Poll: Your Analytics/DM Role and Experience - Jan 16, 2011.new KDnuggets Poll is asking: what is your analytics/data mining role and experience? Please vote on www.kdnuggets.com
- KDD-2011 Call for Papers - Jan 18, 2011.Abstracts due Feb 11 for KDD-2011, 17th ACM SIGKDD Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, Aug 21-24, 2011, in San Diego, CA http://www.kdd.org/kdd2011/
- Defeating Machine Learning: The IJCNN Social Network Challenge results - Jan 25, 2011.The team won by using de-anonymization research, significantly surpassing other competitors which used machine learning / data mining approaches.
- Kaggle to host The $3m Heritage Health Prize - Jan 25, 2011.Starting in April 2010, Kaggle will be hosting the data mining competition with the biggest prize so far - the $3m Heritage Health Prize
- Most viewed items for Jan 16-22 - Jan 23, 2011.ISMIS Contest: Music Info Retrieval; Large Scale Hierarchical Text classification;
Top jobs: Data Analytics Architect at ETHOCA, Toronto; Data Scientist at Media6Degrees, New York
Software (see also All Software)
- Visualize your LinkedIn Map - Jan 25, 2011.InMaps is an interactive, color-coded visual representation of your LinkedIn network.
- Much faster Permutation Tests and Sampling with SAS - Jan 23, 2011.Six permutation test algorithms coded in SAS are compared. The fastest achieves speed increases orders of magnitude faster than the relevant "built-in" SAS procedures.
- Stay Alert! The Ford Challenge - Jan 20, 2011.The objective is to design a classifier that will detect whether the driver is alert or not alert, employing data that are acquired while driving.
- Mapping Health Statistics at CDC.gov - Jan 19, 2011.Ajay Ohri on CDC.gov interactive tool for analyzing US stats on death and injury. For example, white people are more likely than black people to own guns, but are seemingly less likely to be injured by firearms.
Jobs (see also All Jobs)
- Web Merchandising Intelligence Analyst at Kohl's, Menomonee Falls, WI - Jan 25, 2011.responsible for the tracking and reporting of key performance index metrics, and for providing relevant and timely customer experience and purchase behavior analysis and recommendations.
- Marketing Intelligence Analyst at Kohl's, Menomonee Falls, WI - Jan 25, 2011.perform analysis and provide strategic insights derived from sales and customer level data that drive critical business decisions
- VP, Predictive Modelling and Analytics at First Data, Melville, NY - Jan 24, 2011.Head the Decision Science group and handle the analytics and modeling requirements for the credit group throughout the world
- Director, Analytics at ID Analytics, San Diego, CA - Jan 21, 2011.responsible for leading the team of highly skilled scientists doing advanced analytical model and algorithm development.
- Manager, Data Analysis at Nexon, El Segundo, CA - Jan 21, 2011.A Career with The MMOG Innovator and Developer/Publisher of leading Free-to-play Online Games. This position is responsible for management of the Data Analysis staff and for all activities related to data analysis for the company/
- Vice President, Product Leadership - Social Media Metrics at NM Incite, a Nielsen / McKinsey joint venture, San Francisco, CA - Jan 20, 2011.own the overall product strategy for the social media metrics product portfolio and will play a critical role in the success of the joint venture.
- Data Mining Analyst at Waterfront International, Toronto, Canada - Jan 20, 2011.WIL is a financial consulting firm, specializing in developing computer based statistical trading strategies.
- Data Scientist at Media6Degrees, New York, NY - Jan 19, 2011.Media6Degrees is a pioneer in Social Targeting, delivering scalable custom audiences that successfully perform for brand marketers; The Data Scientist will interact closely with the data science, business development, and senior management.
- Data Analytics Consulting Partners, Directors, Managers at Premiere Global Professional Services Firm, New York, Washington DC, other - Jan 19, 2011.A consultative data analytics professional who can apply his/her advanced analytics, predictive modeling, and data visualization skills to the fraud/dispute arena.
- Director Of Corporate And Institutional Relations at Wharton School, Philadelphia, PA - Jan 25, 2011.manage business development as well as corporate and institutional relations for the Wharton Customer Analytics Initiative; be the face of the organization to external sponsors and constituents
- 2 RA positions in Biomedical Informatics at Mahidol U., Bangkok, Thailand - Jan 20, 2011.take part in an interdisciplinary research project in bioinformatics / cheminformatics / data mining with the objective of designing, modeling and simulating novel therapeutic drugs for the treatment of breast cancer
- Postdoc, Privacy-aware data mining, BM0017 at Yahoo! Research Lab, Barcelona, Spain - Jan 19, 2011.postdoc position in data mining, with emphasis in the area of privacy, working together with our scientists to develop novel algorithms for processing large amounts of data coming from user action logs and social networks.
- Postdoc on data mining, BM0016 at Yahoo! Research Lab, Barcelona, Spain - Jan 19, 2011.working together with our scientists to develop novel algorithms for processing and mining extremely large amounts of data coming from user action logs and social networks.
Meetings (see also All Meetings)
- MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference, Mar 4-5, Boston - Jan 21, 2011.kicks off its fifth year with the launch of Evolution of Sport (EOS), a new initiative that offers fans a forum to share ideas with the potential of changing the face of sport.
- How Analytics Can Improve Efficiency, Boost the Bottom Line - Jan 21, 2011.In this episode of DM Radio you learn how the savviest companies today are building, buying and sometimes renting analytics to improve their bottom line.
- Social Network Analysis and Mining - Jan 23, 2011.New journal first issue - read online; Articles include "Anthropologist view of social network analysis and data mining", "Social network analysis: developments, advances, and prospects", and more.
- Analytic Concepts to Improve our Cognitive Toolkit - Jan 21, 2011.Here are some Analytics Concepts that would improve everybody's cognitive toolkit, selected from answers to Edge Question: WHAT SCIENTIFIC CONCEPT WOULD IMPROVE EVERYBODY'S COGNITIVE TOOLKIT?
- Personal data mining to improve your cognitive toolkit - Jan 21, 2011.Can Personal Data Mining answer Edge Question: What scientific concept would improve everybody's cognitive toolkit?
- Paper on Leveraging Social Media Networks for Classification - Jan 19, 2011.we propose the concept of social dimension to represent actors latent affiliations, and develop a classification framework based on that.
- Paper: Resilient Identity Crime Detection - Jan 19, 2011.this paper proposes a new multi-layered detection system complemented with two additional layers: Communal Detection (CD) and Spike Detection (SD).
- New Wharton initiative to focus on consumer analytics - Jan 25, 2011.The Wharton School initiative will allow companies to accurately target customers based on past consumption patterns.
- SAS reports revenue up 5.2% - Jan 24, 2011.SAS sold $2.43 billion worth of business software and services last year. Revenue rose 5.2% in 2010, compared to 2.2% increase in 2009.
- StatSoft Releases STATISTICA Version 10 Analytics Solutions - Jan 21, 2011.new features leverage Intel multi-core processors for improved performance, data connectivity, graphics, data analysis, and predictive modeling
- SAS ranks No.1 on the FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For - Jan 20, 2011.Treat employees like they make a difference and they will - this is SAS CEO Jim Goodnight's philosophy. This marks the 14th year SAS has been ranked on the FORTUNE "100 Best Companies to Work For" list in the US.
CFP - Calls for Papers (see also All CFP)
- ICWSM 2011, due Jan 31
- KDD-2011: Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining Workshop proposals, due Feb 1
- KDD-2011: Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, due Feb 11
- ICANN 2011, due Feb 15
- SSTD 2011, due Feb 18
- ECML/PKDD 2011 T/W, due Mar 1
- WebSci'11, due Mar 21
- SocInfo2011, due Apr 7
QuoteReady? Sure? Whatever the situation or secret moment, enjoy everything a lot. Feel able to absolutely care. Expect nothing else. Keep making love. Family and friends matter. The world is life, fun, and energy. Maybe hard. Or easy, Taking exactly enough is best.
Meta-horoscope made from most common words in over 4,000 star sign predictions.
Text mining shows that most horoscopes are essentially the same - see www.informationisbeautiful.net/2011/horoscoped/