- New Poll: Will IBM "Watson" defeat human Jeopardy Champions? - Feb 1, 2011.Who will win: IBM Watson computer or Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter, two former Jeopardy champions? Please vote on www.kdnuggets.com. The match will take place on Feb 14, 2011.
- Additions to KDnuggets in January - Feb 1, 2011.New in companies, competitions, education, meetings, software, solutions, websites sections
- Poll Results: Analytics Role and Experience - Jan 31, 2011.20% of respondents were Analytics Managers, with 9.3 years avg experience, and 42% were Data Miner/ Analysts, with avg. experience of 8.3 years.
- Predictive Analytics World: Learn Uplift Modeling - Feb 1, 2011.Is uplift modeling on your radar? If not, it should be! Learn it at Predictive Analytics World, Mar 14-15 in San Francisco
- Most viewed items for Jan 23-29 - Jan 30, 2011.Defeating Machine Learning: The IJCNN Social Network Challenge results; Visualize your LinkedIn Map;
Top jobs: VP, Predictive Modelling and Analytics at First Data, Melville, NY; Director Of Corporate And Institutional Relations at Wharton School, Philadelphia, PA;
Courses (see also All Courses)
- Learn How Experts Mine Data [Feb 14-18, Orlando; Apr 11-15, Las Vegas] - Feb 1, 2011.Leverage highly valuable and impactful prospective insight from within your existing data through an intensive course series with over 20 years of innovation. Feb 14-18 in Orlando; Apr 11-15 in Las Vegas.
Software (see also All Software)
- Matlab toolbox Gait-CAD for time series - Jan 31, 2011.The Matlab toolbox Gait-CAD is designed for the visualization and analysis of time series
Jobs (see also All Jobs)
- Manager, Data Analysis at Nexon, El Segundo, CA - Feb 1, 2011.Manage Data Analysis for the company, the MMOG Innovator. Showcase your quantitative skills, business judgment and creative thinking while determining new key metrics and measurement techniques/models that offer deeper business insight.
- Credit Decision Analytics, Modeling and Forecasting at Kohl's Department Stores, Menomonee Falls, WI - Jan 28, 2011.searching for Business Analysts/Senior Business Analysts to manage the credit scorecard model development lifecycle and more.
- Credit Decision Analytics - Account Management at Kohl's Department Stores, Menomonee Falls, WI - Jan 28, 2011.Manage all aspects of the credit card account lifecycle (credit line management, over limit authorizations, collections, fraud etc) and more.
- Senior Customer Analyst at Oriental Trading, Ralston, NE - Jan 28, 2011.develop ideas to increase revenue, reduce costs, and improve decision-support; provide analytical support to customer marketing efforts and educate and train Customer Analysts about statistical techniques and modeling methodology.
- Business Analyst at LivePerson, Atlanta, GA - Jan 26, 2011.work with our Professional Services account teams focused on measuring performance and optimization analysis of LivePerson deployments.
- Research Engineers at Yahoo! Labs within Barcelona Media, Barcelona, Spain - Jan 26, 2011.The Yahoo! Labs within Barcelona Media has various openings for research engineers in Barcelona, Spain. Yahoo! Labs is pioneering the new sciences underlying the web.
- Postdoc Positions in Data Mining at U. of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia - Jan 30, 2011.openings for two post-doctoral research fellows in the area of data mining, with a particular emphasis on data mining for time evolving networks.
Meetings (see also All Meetings)
- Predixion Software 18-City Seminars Showcasing Self-Service Predictive Analytics - Jan 26, 2011.18-city free seminars will demonstrate how to quickly and cost-effectively deliver self-service predictive analytics utilizing the Microsoft BI platform and Predixion's cloud-based predictive analytics solution.
- SDM'11: 2011 SIAM International Conference on Data Mining - Feb 1, 2011.Highlights include 4 plenary talks, 4 workshops, 5 tutorials, and 84 technical papers. Tutorials and workshops are complimentary with registration. Apr 28-30, Mesa, AZ, USA.
- KDD-2011 call for papers - Feb 1, 2011.Abstracts due Feb 11 for KDD-2011, 17th ACM SIGKDD Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, Aug 21-24, 2011, in San Diego, CA http://www.kdd.org/kdd2011/
- SDM Doctoral Forum, Student Travel Scholarship - Jan 30, 2011.SDM 2011 student travel scholarships available for participants in the SDM Doctoral Forum and Student authors of SDM 2011 accepted papers
- Polyvore.com uses data to track fashion trends - Feb 1, 2011.Polyvore.com tracks consumer choices to find what trends are on the rise, to help consumers and designers to predict fashion.
- Data Mining Research Interview: Stuart Shulman - Feb 1, 2011.For Texifter customers, the need to mine social media data is seamlessly fulfilled through the deployment Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) in DiscoverText.
- Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery - Jan 28, 2011.Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery features a unique hybrid publishing model that's as comprehensive as a major reference, as current as a journal, and much more.
- Mathematical Model Explains How Complex Societies Emerge, Collapse - Jan 28, 2011.The instability of large, complex societies is a predictable phenomenon, according to a new mathematical model that explores the emergence of early human societies via warfare.
- What Colour is Your Archive? - Jan 28, 2011.Text mining and visualization of records from London's Old Bailey prison using Mathematica.
- 2011: The Year of the Analytics Platform - Part I - Jan 27, 2011.What makes an Analytics Platform and how Aster Data massively parallel DB enables analytic processing
- EMC's Greenplum Offers 'big Data' Tools at No Charge - Feb 1, 2011.a community edition of Greenplum data warehousing platform, including algorithms and data mining tools for working with large data sets is available at no charge.
- Unhackable data in a box of bacteria - Jan 28, 2011.Students in Hong Kong found a way to securely and reliably store information using bacteria
- BlueKai Buys Ad Data Analytics And Optimization Startup TrackSimple - Jan 26, 2011.BlueKai, an online auction-based data exchange, bought TrackSimple, an analytics company that provides reporting, analysis and prediction services to media companies.
- Startup Uses Tweets to Predict Purchases - Jan 26, 2011.Viralheat Human Intent simplifies lead generation by helping businesses pinpoint social media users on the cusp of making purchasing decisions.
CFP - Calls for Papers (see also All CFP)
- KDD-2011: Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, due Feb 11
- IADIS 2011, due Feb 28
- ASONAM 2011, due Mar 1
- TIR'11, due Mar 30
- Learning Classifier Systems, due Apr 7
QuoteYou Can Lead a Boss to Data but You Can't Make Him Think
Stats With Cats Blog, Nov 2010