- New Poll: Selling your personal data? - Mar 1, 2011.Behavioral advertising mines personal data for better ad targeting, but potentially invades privacy. One proposed solution is to allow people to opt-in - sell their personal data to advertisers, in exchange for direct payment. Are you willing to do that?
- Poll Results: Analytics / Data Mining Salaries up in 2011 - Feb 28, 2011.$113,000 is the avg. salary for a US analytics/data mining professional, up about 10% from 2010. Salaries also went up in W. Europe, Asia, and Latin American regions.
- KDD Cup 2011: Recommending Music in Yahoo! - Feb 18, 2011.The KDD Cup contest releases over 300 million ratings performed by over 1 million anonymized users. The ratings are given to different types of items-songs, albums, artists, genres-all tied together within a known taxonomy.
- Predictive Analytics World Kicks Off in Less Than 2 Weeks in San Francisco - Mar 1, 2011.Predictive Analytics World, Mar 14-15 in San Francisco. Keynotes from leading experts, full-day workshops, and over 40 sessions.
- Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery - Mar 1, 2011.features a unique hybrid publishing model that's as comprehensive as a major reference, as current as a journal, and much more. First issue online - free access
- Additions to KDnuggets in February - Mar 1, 2011.New Companies, Datasets, Education, Meetings, Publications, Software, and Blogs
- Most viewed news, jobs in February - Mar 1, 2011.Free Public Datasets; New Poll: Data Miners Salary;
Top jobs: DB Marketing Analyst at IBM; Data Mining Specialist at Apple.
- Most viewed items for Feb 20-26 - Feb 28, 2011.Free Public Datasets; Visualize your data in the Google Data Explorer;
Top jobs: Data Mining Specialist at Apple; Postdoc fellows at IBM Watson Research Center;
- Most viewed items for Feb 13-19 - Feb 20, 2011.Free Public Datasets; New Poll: Annual Income/Employer type;
Top jobs: CMU Research Fellowships in Machine Learning and Data Mining at U. of Porto, Portugal, Porto, Portugal; Database Marketing Analyst at IBM, Anywhere, US;
Courses (see also All Courses)
- Learn How Experts Mine Data, Apr 11-15, Las Vegas - Mar 1, 2011.Register by Mar 14 and Learn how experts mine data with TMA Predictive Analytics courses. Apr 11-15 in Las Vegas; Jun 13-17 in New York, NY; Aug 15-19 in Minneapolis, MN.
- Apr 8, Chicago: Regression Modeling with Many Correlated Predictors - Feb 23, 2011.Recent advances in analysis of high dimensional data now allow reliable regression models to be developed even when the number of predictors exceeds the number of cases. Presented by Jay Magidson and Tony Babinec.
Webcasts (see also All Webcasts)
- Data Mining: Failure to Launch [ Free Webinar: Mar 15, Apr 21 ] - Mar 1, 2011.a recent industry survey reports that 51% of data mining projects either never left the ground or did not bring value. Attend this webinar to learn how to succeed with data mining.
Software (see also All Software)
- RStudio: integrated development environment for R - Mar 1, 2011.a new, free and open-source IDE for R, combining an intuitive user interface with powerful coding tools. It is available for all major platforms including Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.
- Pattern: a web mining module for Python - Feb 25, 2011.bundles tools for data retrieval (Google + Twitter + Wikipedia API ...), text analysis (rule-based shallow parser, WordNet...) and data visualization.
- The Data Viz Challenge: can you make tax data exciting? - Feb 25, 2011.Google and Eyebeam data provide an API for US tax data, and challenge you to display it in an interesting way.
- Visualize your own data in the Google Public Data Explorer - Feb 20, 2011.Google is opening the Public Data Explorer to your datam with a new data format, the Dataset Publishing Language (DSPL), openly available, and provides an interface for anyone to upload their datasets.
- Wharton Challenge: Relationship Marketing at StubHub - Feb 17, 2011.StubHub, the leading destination for fans seeking tickets to live events, seeks to go beyond computing conversion rates for individual email campaigns to exploring the longer-term effects of their relationship marketing activities on customers' future transactions
Jobs (see also All Jobs)
- Senior Associate - Marketing Analytics (16423) at Discover Financial Services, Riverwoods, IL - Feb 28, 2011.responsible for providing analytical support to Retention and Usage Marketing to help achieve attrition, sales, balance, and profitability goals.
- Project Manager Engagement Channel (16436) at Discover Financial Services, Riverwoods, IL - Feb 28, 2011.leverage analysis and modeling of key business strategies executed through contact centers (service, engagement, retention) to drive improvements. Lead development of more effective business decisions and process improvements.
- Project Manager - Credit Risk Management Acquisition (16575) at Discover Financial Services, Riverwoods, IL - Feb 28, 2011.strong organizational skills and attention to detail - responsible for updating, tracking and housing the documentation associated with Acquisition Credit Policy and will assist in providing information and documentation for Acquisition Risk Management internal and external audits.
- Project Manager - Marketing Analytics (16602) at Discover Financial Services, Riverwoods, IL - Feb 28, 2011.key role in providing strong analytic support to the Marketing Pricing business partners, strategic pricing initiatives, providing key results for Pricing Committee meetings along with ad-hoc analysis and pricing reporting.
- Consultant - Acquisition (16692) at Discover Financial Services, Riverwoods, IL - Feb 28, 2011.managing and developing credit risk strategies and policies in respect of credit policy; identification, design and implementation of complex statistical and business analyses projects to develop credit policies in support of business strategy.
- Associate - Implementation (16804) at Discover Financial Services, Riverwoods, IL - Feb 28, 2011.assist in reporting, development, and delivery of list-selection and portfolio strategies and initiatives for Discover Personal Loans within the Customer Risk Management and Assistance area.
- Analytic Solution Architect at HP, Austin, TX - Feb 26, 2011.apply their knowledge of advanced analytics, data mining and statistical techniques to design and develop enterprise analytic solutions which are focused on improving specific business processes with HP
- Data Scientist at Collective, New York, NY - Feb 25, 2011.Work on the cutting edge of big data (20bn impressions per month, 10s of thousands of attributes per impression) and modern algorithms (machine learning) to drive enormous value for a top 10 advertising network and leading technology platform provider.
- Data Mining Scientist at evolve24, St. Louis, MO - Feb 25, 2011.Develop advanced data mining algorithms and applications; build statistical and predictive models from multiple data sources; build best practices for implementing advanced analytics and metrics.
- Data Mining Scientist at Knewton, New York, NY - Feb 25, 2011.Knewton is poised to revolutionize the practice of education with the world's most powerful adaptive learning engine. We are a startup rich in eclectic personalities, are ridiculously dedicated and are unified around a passion for democratizing education.
- Analytics Manager at Opera Solutions, London, UK and Paris, France - Feb 19, 2011.design, develop, and deploy state-of-the-art, data-driven predictive models to solve business problems using the latest and most appropriate technologies in machine learning, statistical modeling and Operations Research.
- Post doctoral fellows at IBM T. J. Watson Research Center, Yorktown Heights, NY, USA - Feb 19, 2011.highly motivated, post doctoral fellows with expertise in data analytics, machine learning, pattern recognition technologies.
- Data Mining Specialist at Apple Inc., Austin, TX - Feb 18, 2011.outstanding data mining scientist who is interested in designing, developing, and fielding data mining solutions that have direct and measurable impact to Apple
- Yahoo Key Scientific Challenges Awards - Applications due March 11 - Feb 26, 2011.This program lets PhD students gain access to Yahoo!'s world-class scientists, some of the richest and largest data repositories in the world, and have the potential to make a huge impact on the future of the Internet while driving your research forward.
- Sr. Research Fellow in Soft. Eng. for Pervasively Adaptive Software Systems at Research & Engineering Centre, Wroclaw, Poland - Feb 22, 2011.You will work on an exciting project entitled "Computational Intelligence Platform for Evolving and Robust Predictive Systems (INFER)" funded by the European Commission.
- Postdoc in Computational Chemogenomics at U. of Caen and KU Leuven, Caen, France and Heverlee, Belgium - Feb 20, 2011.A 14-month post-doctoral position is open for studying computational methods for chemogenomics.
- Sr. Lecturer/Associate Professor In Data Mining And Machine Learning at Advanced Analytics Institute (AAI) at UTS, Sydney, Australia - Feb 17, 2011.join an active, vibrant and friendly Institute with a track record in cutting-edge, cross-disciplinary and workable research and development on advanced data mining and machine learning.
Meetings (see also All Meetings)
- Data 2.0 Conference: April 4, 2011, San Francisco - Feb 23, 2011.What do Netflix, healthcare predictions and Data.gov have in common? They solve big problems with online data. The Data 2.0 Conference is about finding these solutions. Get 20% off registration with KDnuggets discount
- Social Media and VOC at The Text Analytics Summit - Feb 21, 2011.The Text Analytics Summit, May 18-19, in Boston is set to attract more than 200 senior-level executives from a multitude of industries that use or will soon use text analytics in their business practices.
- Data Mining Misconceptions #2: How Much Data - Feb 28, 2011.Before diving into a data mining project, an organization must consider whether it has the quantity and quality of data necessary to produce a successful predictive model.
- Data Mining Research Interview: Roberto Battiti - Feb 28, 2011.After reading the first chapters of Reactive Business Intelligence, I was suprised: what a clear way of presenting complex topics! I thus decided to ask a few question to one of the author, Roberto Battiti
- Behind the Information Overload Hype - Feb 25, 2011.The digital avalanche isn't as massive as those numbers suggest. Much of the growth reflects the surge in high-resolution video and photos. In addition, while there is much more information available, each piece is being consumed, on average, by far fewer people than in the past.
- Encyclopedia of Machine Learning - Feb 25, 2011.This comprehensive reference covers many key topics in machine learning with pointers to further reading
- Trusting Data, Not Intuition - Feb 24, 2011.Businesses will learn harsh but valuable truths if they subject new ideas to controlled experiments, says Microsoft's Ronny Kohavi
- Data Mining Fundamentals: Khabaza's 9 Laws of Data Mining - Feb 19, 2011.The heart of the data mining philosophy has been expressed best by a pioneer of data mining, Tom Khabaza, in his 9 Laws of Data Mining.
- New Data Mining Books from Springer - Feb 19, 2011.Domain Driven Data Mining and Data Mining and Multi-agent Integration, from Springer
- New Book: Behavioral Analytics for Anonymous Advertising Anywhere (A3) - Feb 15, 2011.A3 marketing is the convergence of offline and online data from websites, social networks and mobile devices and artificial intelligence software enabling advertisers and enterprises to monetize consumers behaviors - for the targeted placement of products, content or services via multiple channels - in a relevant and personal manner.
- Many Companies Lack Consistent Risk Data Mining, Reporting - Feb 24, 2011.37% of executives report that their companies do not take a consistent, enterprise-wide approach to mining, reporting, and analyzing risk data, according to a Deloitte Poll.
- Revolution Analytics and Zementis Deliver Decision Engine for R - Feb 23, 2011.Companies partner to help unlock the value of big data through real-time predictive analysis
- IBM and Nuance Apply "Watson" Analytics Technology to Healthcare - Feb 22, 2011.IBM Deep Question Answering, NLP, and Machine Learning will be combined with Nuance speech recognition and Clinical Language Understanding (CLU) solutions for the diagnosis and treatment of patients.
- HP to buy data analytics company Vertica - Feb 19, 2011.Hewlett-Packard agreed to buy software startup Vertica in a deal that may signal a new push into the growing field of business analytics.
- Dymatrix, KNIME Data Mining Automation and Campaign Optimization - Feb 19, 2011.Dymatrix introduces KNIME for DynaMine Data Mining Automation and DynaCampaign Campaign Optimization
- Vail Resorts books SAS predictive analytics to entice guests to slopes - Feb 18, 2011.Smarter campaigns powered by predictive analytics, data mining speed marketing success
- SAS predictive analytics help Meredith Corp. reach women - Feb 15, 2011.Smarter campaign management boosts popularity of company's magazines, books, television, websites
CFP - Calls for Papers (see also All CFP)
- DMIN'11: Int. Conf. on Data Mining, due Mar 10
- RecSys 2011 Workshop proposals, due Mar 21
- ECML-PKDD 2011 Discovery Challenge Data/Tasks, due Mar 21
- Belgian/Dutch Machine Learning conference, due Mar 28
- QI 2011, due Mar 28
- RCOMM 2011, due Apr 1
- RecSys 2011, due May 9
- IDA 2011, due May 14
- British AI 2011 Conference, due May 31
QuoteAmbrose Bierce described this as "a temporary insanity curable by marriage."
Answer by Jeopardy-playing computer IBM Watson, "What is love?"