- Big Data: The New Natural Resource, says IBM - Jun 29, 2012.
Yet decision makers know that a huge opportunity is presenting itself, if only they can master the tsunami of data. See Big Infographic on Big Data.
- Google Playing the Big Data Long Game - Jun 28, 2012.
Google's Big Data advantage isn't simply its cloud-based model, though that is a crucial component, as we'll see. But the search giant has another strategic asset, one that gets to the heart of Big Data ...
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jun 25-27: Guide to Intelligent Data Analysis; Kim Kardashian as a dynamic input/output system - Jun 28, 2012.
Guide to Intelligent Data Analysis, hands-on; bitly Data Scientist looks at Kim Kardashian as a dynamic input/output system; IBM serves tennis analytics at Wimbledon; Food data as the next target of Big Data Analytics
- KDnuggets 12:n15, Facebook as Information Market? Data Science Cartoon; EU Big Data - Jun 27, 2012.
Latest analytics/data mining news, New Poll: Would you sell your FB data; Data Science Cartoon; What not to do: Examples of business analytics failures; European Big Data companies.
- Book: "Guide to Intelligent Data Analysis" - Jun 26, 2012.
This book provides a hands-on instructional approach to many data analysis techniques, and explains how use them to solve real world problems.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jun 21-24: Citation and Peer Review of Data; Big Data Paradigm Shift - Jun 25, 2012.
Citation and Peer Review of Data; NIST Big Data Workshop: paradigm shift; ata porn? How much data is created every minute; GigaOM challenge: predict which blogs someone will like
- Netflix Recommendations: Beyond the 5 stars (Part 2) - Jun 23, 2012.
Netflix data scientists give more insight into broader personalization technology, including some current models, data, and the approaches to innovation and research.
- Nuts and Bolts of Data Mining: The Histogram - Jun 21, 2012.
Tim Graettinger reviews a real workhorse for data mining and analysis - the histogram, including the most frequent types: "money", "count", and "outlier".
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jun 18-20: European Big Data Companies; How Data Became Big - Jun 21, 2012.
European Big Data Companies; How Data Became Big; In India, Data scientists hired in droves; Moneyball for Basketball:
- Big Data: Smart Meters in Germany - Jun 21, 2012.
80 percent of all households in Germany will be equipped with smart meters by 2020, and that means Big Data. How do companies use it?
- EMC Data Science Summit Report by Angeliki Papagiannopoulou - Jun 20, 2012.
A report on highlights and insights from EMC Data Science Summit, exclusively for KDnuggets. No more talk about Big Data.
- Industry-Wide Study of Analytics Professionals: How Does Your Analytics Team Compare? - Jun 18, 2012.
This research study will examine factors about what makes analytics professionals tick, and gain insight into how they vary. If you bring a team of 25 or more, then we will send you a custom analysis of your group versus the rest.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jun 14-17: Turing 100th Birthday webcast; Facebook Data Science team - Jun 18, 2012.
Alan Turing 100th Birthday webcast; Facebook Data Science team; The life of data analyst - with charts; Data Science Cartoon
- What Facebook Knows and What Its Data Scientists Want To Know - Jun 16, 2012.
The company data and social scientists are hunting for insights about human behavior. What they find could give Facebook new ways to cash in on our data and remake our view of society.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jun 11-13: CalTech Machine Learning Course; New journal on Big Data - Jun 14, 2012.
CalTech Machine Learning Course; New journal on Big Data; Top 5 Data Science Influencers; BigData Debate and Meetup, London
- Confessions of a Serial Analyst - A LatentView Short Film - Jun 13, 2012.
A fun look on analytics from LatentView analytics
- Get Paid for Your Data on Facebook - Jun 13, 2012.
NYU Professor propose that Facebook create world information market, where Facebook users get paid in exchange for permission to provide selective information to businesses.
- KDnuggets 12:n14, Decline effect in Biz Analytics? Kaggle Prospect; Innovation/Service Awards - Jun 12, 2012.
Latest analytics/data mining news, including Features (8) | Software (3) | Webcasts (3) | Meetings (2) | Jobs (5) | Academic (7) | Competitions (2) | Publications (9) | NewsBriefs (7) | CFP (13)
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jun 7-10: Method for identifying fake reviews; ML-Flex: free machine learning software - Jun 11, 2012.
Identifying fake reviews on Amazon, TripAdvisor; ML-Flex: free machine learning software; Introduction to R for Data Mining; Data mining twitter crime hashtags
- White Paper: Analyzing Survey Text: A Brief Overview - Jun 11, 2012.
Researchers can easily get more insight from their text responses using new tools for text analysis - spending less time on manual coding and reaping increased cost savings. See how you can gain a more detailed understanding of your survey results. Download now.
- New Peer-Reviewed Journal on Big Data Launching in Fall 2012 - Jun 11, 2012.
Mary Ann Liebert publishers which focus on medical and biomedical publications announced the launch of Big Data, a peer-reviewed journal that will provide a forum for world-class research exploring the challenges and opportunities of big data and big analytics.
- Big Data = Big Trouble and Noise vs. Signal - Jun 8, 2012.
Nassim Taleb (of the Black Swan fame) argues that more data is more trouble, while Google scientists talk about "Unreasonable Effectiveness of Data.". Who is right?
- Top KDnuggets tweets, Jun 5-6: Data Mining and Exploration in R, YarcData Big Graph Analytics Challenge - Jun 7, 2012.
Data Mining and Exploration in R (slides and code), YarcData Big Graph Analytics Challenge, DM and Vis with the Yelp Academic Dataset
- New Book: Boosting: Foundations and Algorithms, by Robert E. Schapire and Yoav Freund - Jun 6, 2012.
Boosting is a very useful machine learning method based on the idea of creating a highly accurate predictor by combining many weak and inaccurate "rules of thumb."
- Big Data for Public Good - Jun 5, 2012.
A distinguished panel of experts discuss how Big Data can be used to create Social Capital.
- Top KDnuggets tweets, May 30 - Jun 4: Peter Thiel on Luck vs Skill, The Database Revolution - Jun 5, 2012.
Peter Thiel on Luck vs Skill; The Database Revolution: old SQL, NoSQL, Hadoop, and beyond; Crafting Your Research Future: A Guide to Successful MS and PhD Degrees
- New Book: Behavior Computing - Jun 4, 2012.
Behavior computing consists of methodologies, techniques and practical tools for examining and interpreting behaviours in science, society, economy, culture, politics, militar, and other worlds. This book includes 6 case studies, new techniques for capturing behavior characteristics in social media, and is the first reference source for this emerging field.