- Decisions That Drive Success white paper - Nov 30, 2010.
Read this white paper to learn how decision management makes it possible to use predictive analytics as an integral part of real-time decision process
- New book: Data Analysis with Open Source Tools - Nov 30, 2010.
With this insightful book, intermediate to experienced programmers interested in data analysis will learn techniques for working with data in a business environment.
- JSM 2011 Student Paper Competition, due Jan 28 - Nov 30, 2010.
The paper might be an original methodological research or analysis of data (from various fields including but not limited to pharmaceutical, genomics, bioinformatics, imaging, defense, business, public health) that uses principles and methods in statistical learning and data mining.
- Predicting stock price movements - INFORMS Contest Results - Nov 29, 2010.
Predict stock price direction in next 60 minutes. With almost 900 participants, the winning entry had AUC of 0.99.
- Tim Berners Lee: Social Networks are a threat to the Web - Nov 28, 2010.
Large social-networking sites are walling off information posted by their users from the rest of the web
- How wise are crowds? - Nov 24, 2010.
By melding economics and engineering, researchers show that as social networks get larger, they usually get better at sorting fact from fiction.
- Running Kaggle Chess Ratings Contest - Nov 24, 2010.
The major challenge is that chess ratings are longitudinal (results from earlier tournaments can be used to predict later tournaments).
- New Book: Business Analytics for Managers - Nov 24, 2010.
presents a sustainable business analytics (BA) model focusing on the interaction of IT technology, strategy, business processes, and a broad spectrum of human competencies and organizational circumstances.
- Online book: Introduction to data mining - Nov 23, 2010.
this online book was created by the Data Mining group at the U. Toronto, and it covers all steps of data mining process, from problem definition, data preparation, exploration, to modeling, evaluation, and deployment.
- Accidental Statistician: Who Can Befitted of a Self-described Caption? - Nov 19, 2010.
... I once tried to read a book about it by someone called R. A. Fisher but I didn't understand it. He said "You've read the book so you better do it", so I said, "Yes sir".
- New Book: Networks, Crowds, and Markets, by David Easley and Jon Kleinberg - Nov 19, 2010.
Drawing on ideas from economics, sociology, computing and information science, and applied mathematics, this book describes the emerging field of study at the interface of these areas. You can download the complete pre-publication draft.
- Rensselaer Team Shows How To Analyze Raw Government Data - Nov 19, 2010.
Which White House staffer has the most visitors? How do smoking quit rates, state by state, relate to unemployment, taxes, and violent crimes? RPI team finds the answers to these questions and more
- Beginner's Guide To Web Data Analysis: Ten Steps To Love & Success - Nov 18, 2010.
What if I was given the login and password to someone's web analytics data and asked to "find something interesting?" How would I start the process of web data analysis right?
- Digital Keys for Unlocking the Humanities Riches - Nov 16, 2010.
The next big idea in language, history and the arts? Data.
- Massive Scale Data Mining for Education - Nov 16, 2010.
in the near future, if millions of students start learning math using online computer software, we will have massive new data about how students work. There will be paths of learning in the data, some of which quickly reach mastery, others of which go off in the weeds.
- Why Are Business Analytics Important - Nov 15, 2010.
You're probably worse at analyzing data than you think. That's the conclusion of wide-ranging illusory superiority research carried out by psychologists.
- Customer-Base Analysis Using Repeated Cross-Sectional Summary (RCSS) Data - Nov 14, 2010.
Can customer data be stored and analyzed in an easy-to-manage, scalable, privacy-preserving format without significantly compromising the inferences that can be made about the customers' purchasing activity?
- Forbes on The Data Analytics Boom - Nov 9, 2010.
A multitude of converging facts has given rise to numbers-based decision-making.
- Book: VisMaster: Visual Analytics - Mastering the Information Age - Nov 7, 2010.
(book download available). The aim of VisMaster was to create a research roadmap that outlines the current state of visual analytics across many disciplines, and to describe the next steps that have to be taken to foster a strong visual analytics community, thus enabling the development of advanced visual analytic applications.
- How voters turned out on Facebook - Nov 5, 2010.
By looking at those users who state their political affiliation on Facebook, we can see a significant discrepancy between the Democrats and Republicans
- Keys To Web Analytics Maturity: Structure, Process, Hyperfocus - Nov 4, 2010.
We need a different process to help create data driven organizations. And we need a structured approach to help guide that process. The answer to those two golden requirements is very simple to grok, yet so few do it.
- Handbook of Educational Data Mining - Nov 4, 2010.
Covers novel EDM methods, including those that link psychometrics with EDM; Presents detailed case studies that show how the methods are applied using real educational data; Discusses the influence of open data repositories.
- New book: Computational Intelligence and Pattern Analysis in Biological Informatics - Nov 3, 2010.
this unique volume provides both theoretical and experimental results, and describes basic principles of computational intelligence and pattern analysis while deepening the reader's understanding of the ways in which these principles can be used for analyzing biological data in an efficient manner.