- Italian agency to use Teradata and SAS to stop healthcare fraud - Nov 29, 2010.
Italy's social security agency (INPS) wants to detect the noncompliant behaviors in terms of prognosis accuracy, whether by companies or individual claimants.
- Vermont Data Mining Law Is Ruled Unconstitutional - Nov 28, 2010.
A federal appeals court has ruled that a Vermont law restricting data mining of prescription drug info is unconstitutional
- Computers Key to Fighting Medicare Fraud - Nov 28, 2010.
Geographic information systems and other technologies offer new hope for reducing government health-care fraud
- Google Instant Page Previews Wreaking Havoc On Web Analytics - Nov 24, 2010.
an instant preview on the Google search results sometimes can result in Google "on-demand" fetch of the page, which can cause inflations in your visits, page views, increase in bounce rates, conversion drops, etc.
- Insurers Test Data Profiles to Identify Risky Clients - Nov 22, 2010.
Life insurers are testing an intensely personal new use for the vast dossiers of data being amassed about Americans: predicting people's longevity.
- Congress Discussing Do Not Track Registry - Nov 21, 2010.
The US Congress is discussing the possibility of instituting a registry for people who do not want websites to track them,
- Gravity knows what you like; soon advertisers will, too - Nov 21, 2010.
CEO Amit Kapur says Gravity knows what you like and what you want better than any search engine. That information, of course, is gold to advertisers.
- VC view on Mobile Data Analytics - Nov 19, 2010.
new smartphones capture more interesting data which cab drive the creation of a new and interesting analytics. As a result, I am becoming interested in mobile data analytics and have been actively looking for investment opportunities in this sector.
- UC Riverside receives Gates Foundation grant to fight malaria - Nov 15, 2010.
Grant for innovative health research project by Eamonn Keogh, on Counting and classifying insects with ultra-cheap sensors.
- Privacy Advocates Call Out Google, Facebook and Other Data Miners - Nov 13, 2010.
Industry coalition is pushing for tougher privacy legislation - but is it a trojan source to sneak in monitoring? Congress is currently considering legislation to make it easier to opt out of data mining.
- Stage Set for Showdown on Online Privacy - Nov 12, 2010.
FTC exploring a stricter standard that requires a "do not track" option on a Web site or browser similar to the "do not call" lists, while Commerce officials favors letting the industry regulate itself with companies posting their privacy policies online.
- Aster Data Findings From Big Data Summit Conferences - Nov 12, 2010.
including Discover New Market Opportunities (30% of respondents), Behavioral Targeting/Advertising (16%), Social Network Analysis (SNA): (15%), and more.
- Data marketplace Infochimps raises $1.2M to build out its data offerings - Nov 10, 2010.
The company's focus has been on gathering social media and Web analytics, as well as government data.
- Patent: Data mining of unfiltered controller data - Nov 10, 2010.
A data analysis system for utilization in an industrial environment comprises an aggregation component that aggregates data from multiple controllers on a factory floor.
- International Institute for Analytics thrives as peer-generated research community - Nov 10, 2010.
Members lead research agenda to advance the analytics profession and their careers
- DiscoverText: Easy-to-Use eDiscovery Software - Nov 9, 2010.
enables researchers to login using Facebook credentials to immediately archive, search, and intelligently classify thousands of posts and comments on Facebook.
- SMU 2nd in the 2010 SAS Data Mining Shootout - Nov 8, 2010.
The task was to determine the economic benefit of reducing the Body Mass Indices (BMIs) of a selected number of individuals by 10% and to determine the cost savings that would accrue to the Federal Government's Medicare and Medicaid programs.
- Researchers launch hunt for endangered data - Nov 8, 2010.
Global effort will catalogue information languishing in drawers and basements.
- prudsys IREUS recommendation engine now available in English - Nov 8, 2010.
At www.ireus.net online shop operators can use the leading recommendation technology in real-time as an SaaS version and integrate it quickly and easily into their own online shop thanks to the numerous ready-made interfaces.
- Twitter Bot Auto-Debates Climate Change Critics - Nov 8, 2010.
the bot that scrapes Twitter for certain strings of words and then responds to the author of the offending tweet with a pre-packaged link containing a science-based counter-argument.
- Cisco SocialMiner Software - Nov 8, 2010.
a smart software for scaling the public social media's interests. The users of Facebook and Twitter and many other public forums and blogs will be likely to be scrutinized in order to offer the companies the chance to answer proactively to their needs.
- Usama Fayyad Joins Adknowledge as Chief Scientist - Nov 7, 2010.
New Advertising Data Solution Will Maximize Advertiser ROI for Search Engine Advertisers as They Expand Marketing Budgets Outside of Search
- GrapeCity ActiveAnalysis 2 for OLAP, Data Visualization and BI - Nov 5, 2010.
New version combines Microsoft Excel export with support for Silverlight, Windows Forms and ASP.NET in one component
- Via Science Forms to Launch "Big Data" Analytics Startups - Nov 4, 2010.
Via Science aims to operate on the cutting edge of "big data" analytics. The Cambridge, MA-based firm will serve as part holding company for GNS Healthcare and Fina Technologies, and part incubator for hatching new startups.
- Twitter tool roots out disguised mass postings - Nov 3, 2010.
Indiana U. researchers collected suspicious tweets by looking for unusual activity, such as sudden bursts of similar messages. After investigating the patterns of tweets generated by and between Twitter accounts they found several ways in which some accounts were being used in potentially deceptive ways.
- KXEN introduces predictive analytics first semantic layer - Nov 2, 2010.
KXEN semantic layer is a reusable and easily modifiable analytical record comprised of business relationships or "data domains" and fields. KXEN Modeling Factory (KMF) enables automatic refresh of analytical data sets and models
- SAS Bucks the Trade Show Trend - Nov 1, 2010.
the SAS show's explicit mission was to provoke thinking and idea exchange.