- Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery - Jan 28, 2011.
Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery features a unique hybrid publishing model that's as comprehensive as a major reference, as current as a journal, and much more.
- Mathematical Model Explains How Complex Societies Emerge, Collapse - Jan 28, 2011.
The instability of large, complex societies is a predictable phenomenon, according to a new mathematical model that explores the emergence of early human societies via warfare.
- What Colour is Your Archive? - Jan 28, 2011.
Text mining and visualization of records from London's Old Bailey prison using Mathematica.
- 2011: The Year of the Analytics Platform - Part I - Jan 27, 2011.
What makes an Analytics Platform and how Aster Data massively parallel DB enables analytic processing
- KDnuggets 11:n03, KDD-2011 CFP; Defeating Machine Learning; Mining Horoscopes - Jan 26, 2011.
Latest news on data mining & analytics, including Features (5) | Software (4) | Jobs (9) | Academic (4) | Meetings (1) | AudioVideo (1) | Publications (5) | NewsBriefs (4) | CFP (8)
- Much faster Permutation Tests and Sampling with SAS - Jan 23, 2011.
Six permutation test algorithms coded in SAS are compared. The fastest achieves speed increases orders of magnitude faster than the relevant "built-in" SAS procedures.
- Social Network Analysis and Mining - Jan 23, 2011.
New journal first issue - read online; Articles include "Anthropologist view of social network analysis and data mining", "Social network analysis: developments, advances, and prospects", and more.
- Analytic Concepts to Improve our Cognitive Toolkit - Jan 21, 2011.
Here are some Analytics Concepts that would improve everybody's cognitive toolkit, selected from answers to Edge Question: WHAT SCIENTIFIC CONCEPT WOULD IMPROVE EVERYBODY'S COGNITIVE TOOLKIT?
- Personal data mining to improve your cognitive toolkit - Jan 21, 2011.
Can Personal Data Mining answer Edge Question: What scientific concept would improve everybody's cognitive toolkit?
- Paper on Leveraging Social Media Networks for Classification - Jan 19, 2011.
we propose the concept of social dimension to represent actors latent affiliations, and develop a classification framework based on that.
- Paper: Resilient Identity Crime Detection - Jan 19, 2011.
this paper proposes a new multi-layered detection system complemented with two additional layers: Communal Detection (CD) and Spike Detection (SD).
- KDnuggets 11:n02, Split in Top Conferences; More Challenges; Your role; Top 2010 Words - Jan 19, 2011.
Latest news on data mining & analytics, including Features (7) | Software (7) | Jobs (11) | Academic (1) | Meetings (5) | AudioVideo (1) | Publications (8) | NewsBriefs (13) | CFP (10)
- New Book: Real Time Data Mining - Jan 18, 2011.
Shows how to move from conventional data mining to real time data mining is through the use of a method called the Real Time Learning Machine or RTLM.
- Will You (Re)Tweet This? - Jan 18, 2011.
New analysis could help predict how stories will be shared.
- So You Like Big Data - Jan 11, 2011.
Daniel Tunkelang on learning to love big data
- You Might Already Know This - Jan 10, 2011.
This paper inflamed one of the longest-running debates in science. For decades, some statisticians have argued that the standard technique used to analyze data in much of social science and medicine overstates many study findings - often by a lot.
- Predictions and Plans for Business Analytics in 2011 - Jan 10, 2011.
James Kobelius talks about principal business-analytics trends: self service, pervasive, social, scalable, cloud, and real-time
- 10 IT Companies To Watch In 2011 - Jan 6, 2011.
Here are 10 relatively small IT/Analytics companies worth watching in 2011 - primarily because we're impressed with the technology they offer.
- Missing Inaction ... Can Be Hazardous to Your Data Mining Project - Jan 6, 2011.
Missing data is one common component that contributes to the unpleasant moniker "dirty data". We'll start first with detecting it.
- Journal's Paper on ESP Expected to Prompt Outrage - Jan 6, 2011.
a paper presenting what its author describes as strong evidence for extrasensory perception, the ability to sense future events, will be published in a respected psychology journal, generating a mixture of amusement and scorn.
- KDnuggets 11:n01, Top Data Mining Conferences; Truth wears off? PAW DC Videos - Jan 5, 2011.
Latest news on data mining & analytics, including Features (7) | Courses (1) | Webcasts (1) | Software (1) | Jobs (4) | Academic (1) | AudioVideo (3) | Publications (9) | NewsBriefs (10) | CFP (6)
- A Data Mining Method for Moderating Outliers, Instead of Discarding Them - Jan 4, 2011.
the statistical community has not addressed uniting the outlier-detection methodology and the "reason for the existence" of the outlier.
- Top Conferences in Data Mining - Jan 4, 2011.
top conferences by citations are KDD, ICDE, IEEE ICDM, according to Microsoft Asia Academic Search.
- Open Data: Why the Crowd Can Be Your Best Analytics Tool - Jan 3, 2011.
From the bounty of data emerged "data science" and a plethora of new tools to deal with the size and speed of information. Today we are seeing crowdsourcing increasingly commoditize data, and projects like OpenStreetMap replacing the NAVTEQs of the world.
- AI Defeats the Hivemind - Jan 2, 2011.
How a machine learning algorithm (Naive Bayes) beat the assembled masses of Mechanical Turk.